Holy Qurbana: For those either interested or looking for encouragement...:)

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I love the Holy Qurbana. I went to one at a Syro-Malankara Catholic parish last year. There is a Syriac Orthodox parish about a half hour from me..
Awesome to hear of the experience...:)
I'd like to go to the Holy Qurbana there as well. Are there many differences between Syro Malankara and Syriac Holy Qurbana? Thank you
Curious as to which specific differences you're concerned for in particular - if you could clarify.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
1479253_606165499432508_2009255302_n.jpg

Oriental Orthodox Churches Concelebrate Liturgy together.

On the left is the Syriac Orthodox Bishop, the Coptic Orthodox Bishop in the middle and the Armenian Orthodox Bishop at the right.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What in God's name is this? The Mar Thoma Syrian Church has nothing to do with Orthodoxy -- they're Protestants/Anglicans using the West Syriac liturgy. From Wikipedia: "The church emerged from a reformation movement, on scriptural principles within the Malankara Church that was inspired through the contacts with British Anglican missionaries.[5] The confluence movement of eastern traditions and western reformation begin in 1836; A Malankara Church clergyman Abraham Malpan abjured his traditional understandings through sharing of ideas with these missionaries and instituted changes independently at his parish in Maramon. He roughly translated the Holy Qurbana service into minimalist form, from the traditional Syriac to the local Malayalam language known as Ara Kurbana and propagated many protestant-influenced doctrines."

This stuff does not belong on this board. I realize this thread is old, but since it's been bumped, this information should be added. Don't post Protestant garbage here, no matter how pretty it looks and sounds. Poison.

Here are some examples of the Syriac Orthodox Church qurbana/qurbono. This is the true faith.

In Syriac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF7Ets-YRAU

In English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWChywFF9eQ

And from the Middle Eastern, not Indian, Syriac Orthodox (with German translation!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-g9L0kg_Z4

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What in God's name is this? The Mar Thoma Syrian Church has nothing to do with Orthodoxy -- they're Protestants/Anglicans using the West Syriac liturgy. From Wikipedia: "The church emerged from a reformation movement, on scriptural principles within the Malankara Church that was inspired through the contacts with British Anglican missionaries.[5] The confluence movement of eastern traditions and western reformation begin in 1836; A Malankara Church clergyman Abraham Malpan abjured his traditional understandings through sharing of ideas with these missionaries and instituted changes independently at his parish in Maramon. He roughly translated the Holy Qurbana service into minimalist form, from the traditional Syriac to the local Malayalam language known as Ara Kurbana and propagated many protestant-influenced doctrines."

This stuff does not belong on this board. I realize this thread is old, but since it's been bumped, this information should be added. Don't post Protestant garbage here, no matter how pretty it looks and sounds. Poison.
Just saw where the thread was bumped - and before going further, there are some basic things worth noting.

One, it is basic knowledge with regards to the difference between the Syrian Orthodox Church and the Mar Thomas Church. Thus, there's no need placing it up as if others are not aware - and that should be understood since others were already here/aware long before you were present...and spoken upon (as noted here, here , here and here).

People tend to forget about Mar Thoma and the Apostolic Foundation of the
Assyrian Church and the Christians of St. Thomas in India

And even HG Bishop Angaelos attended a carol service at St John's Mar Thoma

We already know about the different Oriental Orthodox Churches from an Indian perspective (Indian (Malankara) Orthodox Church)
  • Indian Orthodox Church. (Malankara Orthodox Church)-- 2.5 million believers.
  • Syriac Orthodox Church. (Malankara Jacobite Syrian Church)-- 0.8 million.
  • Knanaya Syrian Jacobite.

And as another noted best before:

The Indian Orthodox,Syriac Orthodox,Marthoma Syrian,Malabar independent syrians and knanaya orthodox are known as the "Pazhayakoor" christians("old allegiance")

While the Syro-malabar catholics are called "Puthenkoor"("new allegiance").

This is because from 1590s to 1650s,the Indian Church was completely under Rome,due to the power of the Portuguese colonials.The connections with the persian church were cut by the portuguese.So persian bishops(nestorian) could not come to India.The St.Thomas christians were then left without leadership--since the indigenous leaders were by then largely under the blackmail and power of the catholic archbishop of Goa.

The Archadiakon(leader of the st.thomas christians of india) had lost much of his political power and was threatened by the portuguese by death.After a catholicate synod in 1590s,they forced the indian church through manipulation and colonial force into accepting the Pope of Rome.

But the St.Thomas christians violently revolted in AD 1653,swore to preserve their autonomy and they invited bishops from Antioch(syriac orthodox) to restore their faith.(since the persians were out of the equation already)
They organised themselves under the "Marthoma Metropolitans" in kerala.They are the "pazhayakoor christians"

While those who stayed out of the revolt were the Syro-malabar catholics.(puthenkoor)

But from by 1800s,the british carved out an anglican(protestant) church from this pazhayakoor community-creating the "marthoma syrian church". This lead to problems and court cases,and Antioch used it an opportunity to consolidate their power over the Indian church.

After 1850 Antioch had managed to severely undermine the autonomy of the Indian church,exploiting this "anglican reformation" in Malankara.The St.Thomas christian autonomy was a distant dream. There was much "arabisation" in Indian orthodox customs.

But in 1912,the Indian leadership who were fed up of antiochean excesses and interferences--they re-established the Throne of St.Thomas in India.And hence the Malankara Orthodox Church--Catholicate of the East.
The Catholicose of India is the successor of Marthoma Sleeha(St.Thomas).....and uses the title "Mar Thoma" as part of his name.

But a minority faction of people in Malankara* rejected this,and they continued to accept the Antiochean domination.
They are the "Malankara Syrian Orthodox".

They antiochean faction is majority only in the district of Ernakulam(where animosity btw both factions is huge,and where most churches under dispute lie).

The Indian Orthodox are the total majority in the 4 districts to the south and 2 to the north of Ernakulam.

It led to an endless process of court cases,which are still going on today!!....the question of custody of dozens of churches,seminaries,institutions etc(especially in places where both factions are equal in number) is a major problem.

Violence erupted often between two factions,and government had to intervene.In 1970s,there was peace--both sides united.....but soon it failed.Then the antiochean patriarch did a cunning move--he started calling his headbishop in India a "Catholicose" too.

But the Supreme Court verdict in 1995 gave most of the churches to the Indian Orthodox Church.But the court cases are still going on.Many ancient churches are closed down and decaying due to the faction wars.

A dozen people have died upto date in the violence,they are remembered as "martyrs" on both sides--there is much animosity.

2-3 years back,there was violence in Ernakulam district when the antiochean faction started a campaign to wrest back a Seminary there from the Indian Orthodox Church.It turned violent and there was some rioting--the police resorted to a baton charge and many people were arrested,it led to great public humiliation---even priests were seen on T.V to be beaten up by the police.The mob burned a few cars and destroyed properties.

It acquired another political significance because the head of the Government,the Chief minister in the state of Kerala was a member of the Indian Orthodox Church,and the antiochean faction deeply resented this fact and made it political.They voted enmasse to the left wing in the next elections and a couple of extra seats were won by them in Ernakulam district,and there was some gratitude by the communists to the antiochean lobby.

Last year in the elections,the Communists came to power in Kerala,and there occured a very unjust happening in the above said Seminary.A group of about 700 policemen surrounded the Seminary and virtually put the few seminarians,priests,bishops and some laymen present there to a house arrest---and Then allowed the rival antiochean faction(which is in majority in that particular area),their priests,large number of laymen and their Catholicose to enter the Seminary and conduct prayer at the tomb of a bishop there.
In total violation of the Supreme court verdict and rules of the land!

There was much outrage in the Indian Orthodox Church,and two days later they organised a massive protest rally to the Government Secretariat in the Capital City.About 10,000 people from all over Kerala participated in it.
The mood was very emotional and violent.Since it was perceived extremely unjust and seen as a covert action even against the laws of the country and the Courts.

There were some mishaps,and there was a violent clash between police and the protestors.Some of the priests present there were attacked by the police!..
The outraged laymen retaliated by attacking the police and 12 policemen ended up in the hospital severely injured.Some shops and vehicles were destroyed.

The government was alarmed over the huge turnout and negative public perception of the govt. and negotiated with the IOC and promised not to interfere in the Seminary issue again.

In this way the faction wars in Malankara are getting out of control and a reconcilliation is far away.Political parties are exploiting this to their advantage and playing dirty games with the two churches.
And many oriental orthodox christians seeing all this,many of them have left for protestantism and the eastern "malankara catholic rite"(created in 1930).

The Indian Orthodox Church still prays for the "Patriarch of Antioch" in their Thubden during the Holy Liturgy.But Antioch refuses to acknowledge the Throne of St.Thomas in India and refuses to give up their ambitions over the Indian Church.

Two, Note - Mar Thomas are NOT Protestants and plenty of Orientals have noted that, from patriarchs to bishops. This is actually what Wikipedia:

The Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church of Malabar, also known as the Mar Thoma Church, is a Christian denomination based in the state of Kerala in southwestern India. It is one of the Saint Thomas Christian churches tracing its origins to the evangelistic activity of Thomas the Apostle in the 1st century Most Christian churches around the world are of either the Western or the Eastern tradition. In turn, Eastern churches are divided into many traditions, one of which is the Syriac tradition, divided into the West Syrian Rite and the East Syrian Rite. The Mar Thoma Syrian Church follows a variant of the West Syrian tradition and bases its teachings on fundamental biblical teachings.

The Mar Thoma Church is an autonomous Oriental church with Syriac High Church traditions and eclectic characteristics from the era of the Reformation. The church defines itself as "Apostolic in origin, Universal in nature, Biblical in faith, Evangelical in principle, Ecumenical in outlook, Oriental in worship, Democratic in function, and Episcopal in character"​

If they have unbroken succession from their Syriac forebearers, then they may well still have valid orders and sacraments, even while holding some heresies - AND there's good reason why the late Metropolitan, Juhanon Mar Thoma calls this church as a “bridge” since it is a church between the East and the West since it is the case that "while holding the heritage of the East; it is influenced by the West in its mission mandate and ecumenical outlook."

If one is going to post, there is no need being uncivil in a Protestant fashion like many do (as believers should be above referencing whatever they don't like or disagree with as "garbage" as that goes against what the Lord has called on for how believers should act/walk in language and it doesn't reflect the Faith of the Church regardless of how much zeal one has on the matter, Colossians 4:25) - and as said before, DO NOT do accusations without actual verification - and Wikipedia is hardly a source for information on that. There have been plenty who've enjoyed Qurbana from them/Assyrian Church of the East rather than being nationalistic with only doing Coptic Orthodoxy.

That said, if one wants to make another thread about it bashing the issue, by all means do so. This thread is NOT the place for it nor will it ever be.

Seriously...

Here are some examples of the Syriac Orthodox Church qurbana/qurbono. This is the true faith.

In Syriac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF7Ets-YRAU

In English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWChywFF9eQ

And from the Middle Eastern, not Indian, Syriac Orthodox (with German translation!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-g9L0kg_Z4
dzheremi, WE already know what the Syriac Orthodox Church qurbana looks like so there is no need posting it as if people are unaware of it. Not everyone in the Oriental Orthodox Church automatically assumes that discussing Mar Thoma means one is not aware of the other parts of the Church - I've been...

Some of this has been shared before - as seen here:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
One, it is basic knowledge with regards to the difference between the Syrian Orthodox Church and the Mar Thomas Church. Thus, there's no need placing it up as if others are not aware - and that should be understood since others were already here/aware long before you were present...and spoken upon (as noted here, here , here and here).

Fair enough. Given the age of the thread, and its placement on this board, I was not sure what to make of what had been presented here. For the edification of all who might stumble upon the thread (which I would not have, had it not been bumped), to the contrary of what might be mistaken for Orthodoxy by virtue of it being on this subforum and written of approvingly, I thought it prudent to point out that, although this may be a Qurbana in some sense, it is not an Orthodox Qurbana. I would have said the same had there been a Malankara or Malabar Catholic Qurbana placed here (as they would both be more at home on a different board). It is important, after all, to distinguish what is what when things might look or sound similar. The fact remains that the Mar Thomites are Protestants with a Syriac veneer. Again, not highlighting this because I consider myself some kind of great fount of knowledge or whatever, but because it could indeed be easy to mistake it for Orthodox given its outward trappings and the fact that it has been posted on this board which is ostensibly here for the furtherance of the Orthodox faith.

If they have unbroken succession from their Syriac forebearers, then they may well still have valid orders and sacraments, even while holding some heresies
-

I'm sorry, what? This is a rather mechanical and Rome-ish way of looking at apostolic succession. I am open to correction, but this is not how I have been taught to view apostolic succession from an Orthodox perspective. If you are heretical, and persist in your heresy as a matter of doctrinal conviction, then how on earth can it be said that there is "valid" apostolic succession in your church? The various Syriac Protestants or Coptic Protestants or Ethiopian Protestants might similarly claim "validity", but are we to take those claims at face value? Surely it takes more than having been ordained by some "valid" person or church to maintain the succession from them, or else every church outside of our own might claim it, no matter how far they wander from the actual faith that we as Orthodox hold. I'm sorry, but I cannot accept this view at all. No Protestants have valid anything.

Yes, of course he would say this. He was one of their (Mar Thoma Church's) metropolitans! And why should it matter? We can be Orthodox in East or West and all points in between, too. East, West, North, South, up, down...Orthodoxy trumps these kinds of things, or else we could all just as well be anything that suits our fancies.

If one is going to post, there is no need being uncivil in a Protestant fashion like many do (as believers should be above referencing whatever they don't like or disagree with as "garbage" as that goes against what the Lord has called on for how believers should act/walk in language and it doesn't reflect the Faith of the Church regardless of how much zeal one has on the matter, Colossians 4:25) - and as said before, DO NOT do accusations without actual verification - and Wikipedia is hardly a source for information on that. There have been plenty who've enjoyed Qurbana from them/Assyrian Church of the East rather than being nationalistic with only doing Coptic Orthodoxy.

"Nationalistic with only doing Coptic Orthodoxy"? I don't even know what that means. I live in America, not Egypt, and I have no love for Egypt, nor ties to Egypt. You are lashing out with irrelevant jabs...speaking of what is not Christlike...

And neither Nestorianism nor Protestantism is what we should be promoting here on a board meant to share the faith of the Orthodox Church, which is neither of those things. It does not matter even a little bit what people have enjoyed. I enjoy many things that I would not advertise to those present on this board who may be interested in our faith.

dzheremi, WE already know what the Syriac Orthodox Church qurbana looks like so there is no need posting it as if people are unaware of it. Not everyone in the Oriental Orthodox Church automatically assumes that discussing Mar Thoma means one is not aware of the other parts of the Church - I've been...

Has it ever occurred to you, friend, that not everything I post in a thread is posted for you, specifically, or the others who have posted in it already? In this case, my thinking is if others should come to this thread and wonder -- after having read my words about this particular church (Mar Thoma) -- what the big deal is, I would think it would be better for them to have in this same thread examples of the actual Syriac/Malankara Orthodox Church Qurbana/Qurbono so that they can compare it to the Mar Thoma videos. That's all.

I must say that if pointing out that Protestantism dressed up as Orthodoxy is poisonous and awful is somehow a terribly un-Christian thing to do, I am at least in good curmudgeonly company, and that I prefer that to the kind of response you have given me. Our beloved father among the saints HH Pope Shenouda III had some choice words for those who would try to mix the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-mY1mX2qhM

Protestantism with Orthodox-like trappings is evil, and yes, it is garbage. This is not wrong to say, particularly in this environment. You'll note, I hope, that I am not going on to the Protestant subforums or the other non-Orthodox subforums of this website and saying these things. But a strict division here is not wrong to maintain, if we are going to even claim to be Orthodox rather than simply following whatever we enjoy as though there's no harm in that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Fair enough. Given the age of the thread, and its placement on this board, I was not sure what to make of what had been presented here. For the edification of all who might stumble upon the thread (which I would not have, had it not been bumped), to the contrary of what might be mistaken for Orthodoxy by virtue of it being on this subforum and written of approvingly, I thought it prudent to point out that, although this may be a Qurbana in some sense, it is not an Orthodox Qurbana. I would have said the same had there been a Malankara or Malabar Catholic Qurbana placed here (as they would both be more at home on a different board). It is important, after all, to distinguish what is what when things might look or sound similar. The fact remains that the Mar Thomites are Protestants with a Syriac veneer. Again, not highlighting this because I consider myself some kind of great fount of knowledge or whatever, but because it could indeed be easy to mistake it for Orthodox given its outward trappings and the fact that it has been posted on this board which is ostensibly here for the furtherance of the Orthodox faith.

-

I'm sorry, what? This is a rather mechanical and Rome-ish way of looking at apostolic succession. I am open to correction, but this is not how I have been taught to view apostolic succession from an Orthodox perspective. If you are heretical, and persist in your heresy as a matter of doctrinal conviction, then how on earth can it be said that there is "valid" apostolic succession in your church? The various Syriac Protestants or Coptic Protestants or Ethiopian Protestants might similarly claim "validity", but are we to take those claims at face value? Surely it takes more than having been ordained by some "valid" person or church to maintain the succession from them, or else every church outside of our own might claim it, no matter how far they wander from the actual faith that we as Orthodox hold. I'm sorry, but I cannot accept this view at all. No Protestants have valid anything.

Yes, of course he would say this. He was one of their (Mar Thoma Church's) metropolitans! And why should it matter? We can be Orthodox in East or West and all points in between, too. East, West, North, South, up, down...Orthodoxy trumps these kinds of things, or else we could all just as well be anything that suits our fancies.

"Nationalistic with only doing Coptic Orthodoxy"? I don't even know what that means. I live in America, not Egypt, and I have no love for Egypt, nor ties to Egypt. You are lashing out with irrelevant jabs...speaking of what is not Christlike...

And neither Nestorianism nor Protestantism is what we should be promoting here on a board meant to share the faith of the Orthodox Church, which is neither of those things. It does not matter even a little bit what people have enjoyed. I enjoy many things that I would not advertise to those present on this board who may be interested in our faith.

Has it ever occurred to you, friend, that not everything I post in a thread is posted for you, specifically, or the others who have posted in it already? In this case, my thinking is if others should come to this thread and wonder -- after having read my words about this particular church (Mar Thoma) -- what the big deal is, I would think it would be better for them to have in this same thread examples of the actual Syriac/Malankara Orthodox Church Qurbana/Qurbono so that they can compare it to the Mar Thoma videos. That's all.

I must say that if pointing out that Protestantism dressed up as Orthodoxy is poisonous and awful is somehow a terribly un-Christian thing to do, I am at least in good curmudgeonly company, and that I prefer that to the kind of response you have given me. Our beloved father among the saints HH Pope Shenouda III had some choice words for those who would try to mix the two:

Protestantism with Orthodox-like trappings is evil, and yes, it is garbage. This is not wrong to say, particularly in this environment. You'll note, I hope, that I am not going on to the Protestant subforums or the other non-Orthodox subforums of this website and saying these things. But a strict division here is not wrong to maintain, if we are going to even claim to be Orthodox rather than simply following whatever we enjoy as though there's no harm in that.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As said before, there have already been other threads made on this forum (as well as TAW) where others discuss issues which have similarity with Orthodoxy while being distinct from it. It is not a new phenomena in any way and people have long been mature in handling it. It was already noted in the second video from the OP where the Church was Malankara Orthodox Church (Indian Orthodox Church) - and Malankara IS Oriental Orthodox (http://www.stocsa.com/?page_id=399 ...with several threads on that being here on the forum before you arrived), as it is in communion with the other Oriental Orthodox Churches namely, Antiochene, Alexandrian, Armenian, Eritrean and Ethiopian Orthodox Churches and is in good ecumenical relationship with the Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Protestant Churches. We already have it where Malabar Catholic Qurbana is already discussed in Oriental Orthodox circles in light of the Oriental Orthodox and Catholics work done together..

And the Ecumenical Relations of the Syriac Orthodox Church have long been in place (http://sor.cua.edu/Ecumenism/ ) when it comes to Catholic.

Thus, trying to say "It's not for the forum" would be out of place.

It would also be a matter of failing to actually get the facts before speaking and assuming what's up rather than asking....so to jump right in with sweeping claims of all of it being Protestant was beyond unwarranted as well as ill-founded since it didn't lead to edification by being reactionary rather than addressing things point by point. The later being an ACTUAL Service in the Orthodox Church whereas the other was simply instructional (regardless of it not being Oriental Orthodox) - no different than what has occurred in TAW when having someone from a non-Orthodox background simply explain an Orthodox concept and others doing as they have always done and addressing the content. If you didn't even watch the video, there's little room talking on what the content was even about - and this is something which other Orthodox have noted before as it concerns dialogue.

In regards to Mar Thomites, it is again inaccuracy of language claiming anything outside of Orthodoxy is Protestant since there are numerous groups outside of the Protestant culture (just as being Anglican is distinct from being Protestant as is Roman Catholic). And I go with what the Bishops of the Church have already lived out - HG Bishop Angaelos already attended a carol service at St John's Mar Thoma Church in London and there have been several others who've long noted there is nothing wrong with fellowship with others or learning.

Android+Dec+12+313.jpg

The board is not exclusively here to only talk about Orthodox faith - it is also here to talk about any and all issues occurring within the Oriental Orthodox world as the Church experiences.
-

Historically, we've already seen it where others in the Orthodox tradition is not always nice and neatly placed together. We already Evagrius of Pontus for verification on that and the concept of "We know were God is, we don't know where God isn't" when it comes to His grace working in others. It's why I will personally never judge someone assuming I automatically know the heart and intent of others when they are not perfect theologically, as I was trained by other Orthodox - although I will never say a group is somehow "complete" even when noting that they may have others who are connected and it's the same logic that goes for saints outside the OO tradition as well as saints in the Celtic Orthodox tradition and other groups. Until it is shown where all things Protestant were condemned by the Fathers, I don't and will NEVER advocate for claiming all Protestant thought is not of the Lord.

IMHO, Reacting claiming anything "that suits our fancies" is not the same as showing where there is no grace for the Lord to operate in others as others outside of Orthodoxy - and this has been noted repeatedly by others in the Church when it comes to Orthodox Thought. Orthodoxy does not claim that there are not others outside of Orthodoxy whom the Lord has used - and I am thankful for others within Orthodoxy who have pointed out when it comes to noting where not all things with Mar Thoma or other similar churches is negative since they are already connected with St. Thomas the Apostle on multiple other levels and that cannot be ignored - no matter how much one may or may not wish it.

One excellent read on the issue can be found by in The Story of Christianity: An Illustrated History of 2000 Years of the Christian Faith by David Bentley Hart

Living in American doesn't mean one isn't nationalistic on their views, as it concerns Coptic Orthodoxy. As it is, speaking on what is or isn't irrelevant is in/of itself irrelevant since it is irrelevant jabs you already offered, moreover, when you reacted without actually dealing with the video properly (in context) as it concerns the Malankara Orthodox Church and it has come up before (specifically with Ethiopian Orthodox in Jamaica - as was also noted at Tasheba.org when the same conversation comes up with anything you may feel being against equates to reflecting what OO culture as a whole is against). I tend to not pay too much heed to it since it is minimal and it does not reflect Christ if we speak without actually giving facts. If one is going to make a claim, one needs to substantiate it since this is not the first thread in the OO forum which has dealt with the issue and simply being against anything one feels is NOT Oriental Orthodox doesn't establish OO practice as a whole.

Seeing that even the Assyrian Church of the East never supported Nestorianism and Assyrian Church of the East (erroneously called Nestorians) has spoken against that a number of times - as it has also been brought up on the forum before as seen in places such as A couple of questions regarding Assyrian Church of the East ( http://www.christianforums.com/thre...ng-assyrian-church-of-the-east.4548318/page-2 ) or
Church of the East stretches it's hand (http://www.christianforums.com/threads/church-of-the-east-stretches-its-hand.7528986/ ) or "
"One true church?"( http://www.christianforums.com/threads/one-true-church.7810600/ )
- there is again no need (or point) trying to police anything on the forum or the board here as if anything disapproving of your views was the same as being against the Orthodox Church.

As said before, the board was here long before you arrived and discussed many other things which you disagreed with - despite others in the Church already conversing on it (just as they do at TAW) long before you arrived - and they all understood it was not automatically reflective of OO Faith by sharing on issues. If you personally don't want to share on things, that is your own personal issue - but it is not the universal consensus of all posting on the forum and it doesn't really matter how anyone feels on it when that has already been precedent by basis search and review. In regared to the Church of Assyria of the East they claimed victory at the council of Chalcedon and for basics, here is a link of the Assyrian of the east (http://www.nestorian.org/nestorian_theology.html )...The Nestorian Church believe exactly like EO here is a quote from the link
” 8) Summary: Nestorius spoke of Christ as one person (prosopon) in two natures (physis), human and divine.”

Others within the Syriac Orthodox tradition have noted dialogue that actually addresses what Nestorius actually said instead of the caricature of what he believed with the Church of the East never held to - one basic read being Fire from Heaven: Studies in Syriac Theology and Liturgy...

We've already had discussions on that issue numerous times - as well as others, seeing how Both the Syriac Orthodox Church and Assyrian Church of the East hold the Peshitta as divinely inspiried Scriptures. Paul Younan of Peshitta.org tells us that the New Testament was written originally in Aramaic and handed down from the Apostles themselves to the Church.....and so commonality has been discussed on the boards before when seeing how the Peshitta is used by 2 rival churches and we can gurantee it is genuine.

And of course, we also have solidarity with Middle Eastern Christians on multiple issues which have come up before - especially with persecution. Whether Orthodox or Catholic; Evangelical, Coptic or Maronite; Syriac, Lebanese, Chaldean or Assyrian – in light of the many times discussion has occurred all Middle Eastern Christians been called to join together in solidarity. This has happened a number of times, especially at gatherings with the heads of the major Churches of the Middle East—the Syriac Orthodox Patriarch, the Maronite Patriarch, the Armenian Orthodox Catholicos, the Melkite Greek Catholic Patriarch, the Syriac Catholic Patriarch, the Representative of the Antiochian Orthodox Patriarch, the Representative of the Chaldean Catholic Patriarch, the Representative of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch, the Representatives of the Assyrian Church of the East, and the representatives of the Protestant Churches

Happened with the Armenian Genocide where leaders in the Armenian Orthodox CHurch, Assyrian Church of the East and the OO Church worked together - specifically as evidenced with Catholicos Aram I, Aramic Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch & all the East and Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria leaders(http://armenpress.am/eng/news/79883...dopted-by-catholicos-aram-i-assyrian-and.html )

safe_image.php

And we've already had it where Holy Relics of Saint Thomas were transferred from the St Thomas Church, Mosul to Syriac Orthodox Monastery of St Matthew, Nineveh, Iraq on June 17, 2014 and kept in the Beth Khadeesha of Monastery.

10491268_692421760806881_195006015545433750_n.jpg

Bottom line: I follow the examples of our leaders when it comes to what is or isn't discussed.....not what others may or may not prefer.

Has it ever occurred to you, friend, that not everything I post in a thread is posted for you, specifically, or the others who have posted in it already?

In this case, my thinking is if others should come to this thread and wonder -- after having read my words about this particular church (Mar Thoma) -- what the big deal is, I would think it would be better for them to have in this same thread examples of the actual Syriac/Malankara Orthodox Church Qurbana/Qurbono so that they can compare it to the Mar Thoma videos. That's all.
Respectfully, Bruh.....Has it ever occurred to you, that not everything you're saying is either the first - or unheard of and necessary to say? Responding to you about comments made in a thread another makes doesn't mean one isn't thinking of others reading the thread. Thus, as said before, it is rather limiting assuming others are not already thinking of audience or that others were not thinking on it till you felt you wanted to say something......which is myoptic. Threads are made with people watching involved - and if you comment on material within a thread for an audience without actually understanding the audience or the history of the forum BEFORE you arrived, it will be addressed.

You already avoided the video earlier that was the Malankara Orthodox Church when you spoke reacting rather than addressing the content - so again, have you consider that perhaps you assume MORE than you see what's present going into things?

Multiple other Popes have also spoken about the sickness of correctness when it comes to failing to walk in the GRACE of Christ when it comes to both language and our attitudes toward those who are UnOrthodox. I remind you of Pope Shenouda on Biblical love

Mixing attidues also includes the way one approaches things when it comes to doing what tends to be shown among converts over-zealous rather than those who grew up in the Church and know how to walk graciously. Choosing to critique without actually listening and rather assuming never reflects the Lord and the Church/its saints have often spoken on the issue rather directly, as have others on the forum. Thus, it is why it will always be considered the same as you claim (i.e. "garbage") if one cannot respond in the manner that Christ calls us to speak in as well as the Apostles. Christ nor the Apostles even came close to advocating that Protestants having Orthodox aspects to them were somehow "poisonous" - just as they never advocated a mindset that only that which was OO was automatically the sole thing to be defined of God.

You do know that even Pope Shenouda had SIGNIFICANT relationship with Protestants as well, do you not?

Coptic Protestants respected and appreciated the pope.

"Shenouda was a pope of the Bible," said Ramez Atallah, head of the Bible Society of Egypt. "We are the fifth-largest Bible society in the world because [he] created a hunger for the Scriptures among Copts."

Safwat el-Baiady, president of the Protestant Churches of Egypt, described Shenouda's commitment to interdenominational understanding. "I have known him since before he was pope, and we served together on the Middle East Council of Churches. He would meet with us for hours and listen to our views."

Mina al-Badry, a young Protestant pastor in the Upper Egyptian city of Minya, admits tensions with the Orthodox Church but echoed praises of Shenouda. "He was a wise man who cared for the whole Egyptian church [including Protestants and Catholics]," said al-Badry. "Yes, there were times of denominational fanaticism on both sides, but he was the celebrated picture of all of Egypt's Christians."

Shenouda was particularly appreciated for his handling of sectarian tensions, according to Ashraf Atta, a Pentecostal pastor and teacher of theology. "[He] had the wisdom to resolve conflict during times of persecution," said Atta. "He was always willing to forgive and walk the second mile."

Yet the biggest challenge facing the church today is in the realm of politics. Shenouda provided leadership for Egypt's Christians, representing them on the national level.

"The choice of successor to Pope Shenouda is even more important than the choice of Egypt's next president, because it affects the people's faith," said Emad Azmi, head of the Alexandria School of Theology.

We have to be consistent with his own example when it came to the Protestant world and NEVER claiming that all things Protestant (or Protestants in general) were the equivalent of "garbage" - as that would dishonor who He was.
C
As said before, how one chooses to speak - if they cannot restrain their tongues in grace - is no different (James 3, James 1, II Timothy 2:23-26, etc). People have long had conversations on Protestant sub-forums when it comes to relationship as OOs and that has happened long before you arrived as well - just as OOs have done the same. It goes back to assuming you're called to do what is the equivalent of a forum police - when the fact is that the community of the forum at large NEVER agreed to your view in the first place and thus you show you're trying to make division without actually dealing with what has occurred on the community in the first place.

The forum is not meant to match you (or me) in all of your preferences...no more than it was at Tasheba.org when similar happened in other conversations where several OOs had to also note to you that not everything disagreeing with you automatically was NOT OO. OOs have done work with Protestants - even the British Orthdox Church in the UK has noted it on several occasions - and it's no different here, since even other non OOs have joined and had good discussion before you arrived. Thus, the forum will be what it is with or without your approval....no different than TAW.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Holy moly...I am not going to respond to all that, piece by piece. I simply have too much to do, as I am currently in the process of boxing up everything I own and moving out of state.

At any rate, what I will note is that you are going way far afield in your criticisms, far beyond what I actually posted. Other boards don't matter and these other issues don't matter, as I wrote nothing of Coptic Protestants' relationships with or thoughts on HH and so forth. My only point is what HH said in that video: Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy. That's a line I'll be glad to live by, and draw attention to whenever I see fit, precisely for the reasons I've already stated. If you want to call it being a "forum police", that's up to you. I'm not actually stopping anyone from doing anything they please (nor am I under the illusion that this is or should be within my power to do), only expressing displeasure that such things would be posted approvingly on what is supposed to be an Orthodox forum. I'm pretty sure all of the Orthodox churches and church organizations you've listed probably agree that their work with and love for Protestants and others does not diminish their commitment to Orthodoxy as the only true faith of God, to say nothing of the fate nor sincerity of particular believers in other churches (hence I very much agree with the solid maxim "We know where the Church is, not where it is not"). All of this other stuff you are throwing up in an attempt to get something to stick to the wall and make it seem like overzealous convertitis is just irrelevant, because you're off-base in judging or guessing at my motivations in the first place. I've already explained why I posted what I did. You are bringing up other things which make it seem like I spoke against Protestants as people, or working with them, which I never did and never would do. In reality, I said nothing against whatever degree of agreement there may be between us and them, so the charge of trying to create division is really unwarranted.

And I can play Youtube video duel too, though I don't think it's the best use of everyone's time. Was HG Bishop Abanoub wrong in banning Protestant worship at what is supposed to be the Orthodox Church at Mokattam? I don't think so, and I'm willing to bet that you don't think so either, and probably no Orthodox person would think so. Why? Because we don't accept mixing Orthodox with heresy, right? Even if we love the heretic, and can cooperate with him in many ways that don't touch our doctrine (and why shouldn't we? He is made in the image of God as much as anyone, and loves and works for Christ as best as he can, no different than an Orthodox Christian would), we are to hold what we approve of in worship to a high standard, no? This is at any rate what I have been taught. Perhaps my priests, bishop, and all the other priests, deacons, and monks I've spoken to -- born Copts, all of them -- somehow suffer from being overzealous converts, too. Hmmm.

I think it is very interesting to note, in the context of this discussion and particularly the very good idea that we know where the Church is and not where it is not, that HG asks the people (rhetorically) where the Orthodox Church is in Mokattam. In the context in which he is speaking it makes perfect sense. For some time the sense of Orthodoxy (and not just generic Christianity) had apparently been lost there. It is hopefully not uncontroversial to state that such a thing could happen anywhere (just look at the allegations that have been leveled against certain DC-area Coptic churches and priests, by fellow Copts), and that this begins by a prevailing sense that these people are fellow Christians (which is true), therefore it would be wrong and divisive to judge their theology, ecclesiology, etc (which is false). I am sure you understand why this is a problematic attitude, though you and I probably have different ideas regarding how to deal with that.

On that account, I repent of having used the term "garbage" twice, because I certainly do see how using that word is divisive, though again this is not my motivation. I apologize for having offended you and inadvertently dragged this thread so far afield. I am sorry. It is a poor choice. "Unhealthy", "dangerous", "insidious", etc. work just as well (though I'm not sure Protestants would find them any less objectionable).

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Holy moly...I am not going to respond to all that, piece by piece. I simply have too much to do, as I am currently in the process of boxing up everything I own and moving out of state.
Goodness, everyone is busy - as I just got done with a rather intensive semester in graduate school and I have been trying to get several things together. Of course, if I extremely busy, I would not be online responding whatsoever or making mention of it when others respond to things people place up as if they weren't busy.
At any rate, what I will note is that you are going way far afield in your criticisms, far beyond what I actually posted.
Claiming someone is going far field is not the same as showing such, as it concerns not addressing what multiple bishops and leaders in the Church have long worked with Mar Thoma Church and never came close to claiming they were either "Protestant" or somehow false in their Qurbana - or doing as you did by avoiding Malankara Orthodox Qurbana that was placed up for edificiation/placing that alongside Mar Thoma. If one goes off into the afield, one can't say others are in afield for responding to where things were off-track by avoiding dealing with the video from the OP as it concerns Quarbana and over-reacting without even dealing with the facts (as going to wikipedia is hardly dealing with the Church and what the leaders have said). One video is from the Malankara Orthodox Church as the actual service and the other which came first was from Mar Thoma on them sharing thoughts on Qurbana - no more, no less. The logic you utilized is one saying "If I don't see the person being 100% OO sharing on an OO issue, then it's not true!!!" and that's silly...

And as I already said, most of the other things you noted with Mar Thoma were off since they have never identified as Protestants and thus all criticisms are invalid until you can show where they identify as Protestants (as if anything not OO is automatically Protestant anyhow) - as they are a Reformed Section of the Syriac Orthodox Church (Autonomous)...and others in the OO world have pointed this out for some time with regards to the evolution of the group, especially as it concerns dialogues....and for accuracy, The Mar Thoma Church itself, while continuing to maintain a Syrian identity, has moved closer to the Anglican Communion and maintains communion with both the Anglican groupings in India - The CNI (Church of North India) and CSI (Church of South India)

That, in and of itself, does not make it Protestant (unless one wishes to assume anything Anglican cannot ever connect with OO and OO has somehow not done that - despite where that has been discussed on the boards before as well).

There have been numerous joint statements between the OO Churches and the Anglican Churches - hence the work done between the two (as noted here and here ).

And the work between OOs and Anglicans has been extensive, which is why their work (in the Anglican Church) has been referenced before positively by OOs since there are many basics which easily translate in the OO Church...as discussed more in-depth elsewhere when the issue came up in the thread entitled
Copts & Anglicans on making an Agreed Statement - Short Road or Long Road to Unity
. And as one of the OO members here noted:

I read the statement and was satisfied. It was interesting to me that the early sources which the document turned to were St. Cyril and Richard Hooker. I like that the 'monophysite' label was finally dispensed with and in fact condemned. I was also surprised by how strongly the document affirmed 'theotokos'. This is a good piece of work.

It represents on an ecclesiastical level an ability to agree which probably exists much more substantially on the ground. My wife is Anglican and I am Orthodox and we get along. Two of the local Anglican priests said at seminary they studied alongside Orthodox students and it was a good experience. I am currently participating in a reading group with one of them, some other Anglicans, an eastern Catholic, a Lutheran, and an evangelical. We read the fathers.
http://marthoman.tv/wp-content/uplo...odox-Agreed-Statement-on-Christology-2014.pdf

The Mar Thoma Church is unique insofar as maintaining Oriental traditions while being a reformed Church - and of course, even though the Orthodox Church and the Mar Thoma Church have come from the same Malankara Church, there is no communion relationship between them....but at it is the case that they STILL come together in social and public concerns, as marriages between the members of the two Churches are very common.

As said before:

And on the issue, as said before, I go by the leaders of the CHURCH in their examples and what they have actually lived out when it comes to knowing who they are. Even outside of OO, we already have it where HH (Patriarch of Moscow) met/discussed withh the Catholicos-Patriarch of the Holy Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church of the East, Mar Dinkha IV Khanania

Other boards don't matter and these other issues don't matter
Irrelevant to the fact of what was already mentioned as it concerns THIS board and what has already been discussed at several points for years when it comes to interactions with Assyrian Church of the East or Mar Thoma with OO Believers. This, as said before, has occurred before you arrived and it doesn't matter whether you approved of it or not - as you are not a police for the forum and other members have long spoken. Again, one needs to be relevant to what actually occurs on the board if taking a thread off course to address issues which the thread wasn't even about as you did.

I
wrote nothing of Coptic Protestants' relationships with or thoughts on HH and so forth.
Trying to bring up HH thoughts on Mar Thoma (which he did not mention at all in the video you noted) in an attempt to claim a group is somehow "Protestnat" is not using HH words in context and dealing with what he did practically when it came to Protestant groups, be it in his graciousness or looking out for them and not saying their thoughts were all off simply because they were not Orthodox.
My only point is what HH said in that video: Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy. That's a line I'll be glad to live by, and draw attention to whenever I see fit, precisely for the reasons I've already stated.
And seeing that no one is against that, it again goes back to the bottom line of what others have noted before: Not everything YOU agreed with or adhere to in your assessments is Orthodoxy simply because of where HH said that Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy (as if the OP or others were not keeping that in mind). This has happened before as was mentioned - and as said, anytime you post something that goes counter to what other Orthodox have long noted (including in behavior and practice in the Churches), it will be addressed.

Thus far, all you gave was an accusation without verification - or dealing with the Malankara Orthodox Church in the OP when they spoke on the issue because you jumped in WITHOUT dealing with the topic (Proverbs 18:17).

If you want to call it being a "forum police", that's up to you. I'm not actually stopping anyone from doing anything they please (nor am I under the illusion that this is or should be within my power to do)
, only expressing displeasure that such things would be posted approvingly on what is supposed to be an Orthodox forum.
"Forum police" is not limited to trying to "Stop" people in things, as it also goes with seeking to give critique without actually showing one knows the issues. It's really no different than going into threads others make and trying to say "You should have made your thread like this - this is what I would have done!!" when the facts are that they are not the ones who hold the standard of what should or should not be done. Others know the differences with Mar Thoma Christians and OO - that has been discussed long before you arrived. If you felt a description should have been added, you should have asked why none was given rather than seeking a lecture as if other OO do not know basics because of your leanings....as plenty of other threads have had the same dynamics and no one asked "Well what's this??!"" when they get nuance. If you want to do it different, then make another thread - but don't derail another for the sake of doing what you want to discuss since that's not proper and others already shared thoughts directly on the issue of the OP in not getting side-tracked.
I'm pretty sure all of the Orthodox churches and church organizations you've listed probably agree that their work with and love for Protestants and others does not diminish their commitment to Orthodoxy as the only true faith of God, to say nothing of the fate nor sincerity of particular believers in other churches (hence I very much agree with the solid maxim "We know where the Church is, not where it is not").
Their commitment to Orthodoxy, as was already noted, also does not change where they recognize God working in places OUTSIDE of it and thus impacting their ideology when they are not quick to claim as you have with things - Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy and truth is truth, but truth is not solely found within Orthodoxy as if it was the source of all things. That has been said on the forum and in the Church for a long time, dude - and it doesn't take long to find it.

All of this other stuff you are throwing up in an attempt to get something to stick to the wall and make it seem like overzealous convertitis is just irrelevant, because you're off-base in judging or guessing at my motivations in the first place.
Correction, as you already threw out multiple things for the demonstration of "convertitis" and have yet to substantiate - despite what other leaders in the Church have done on several levels, so it is inconsistent speaking of throwing things out when the bottom line is that nothing you threw out stuck since the attempt was born at throwing out what was not relevant to the OP - or the forum itself. You already assumed motivations (irrelevant as that is) when asking "What is this?" from your first comment - and you already assumed what others were doing when you didn't deal with information.

As others have said, don't accuse on what you already did first.

I've already explained why I posted what I did.
And as said before, you already avoided the OP in its context when doing so and assuming motivations as well as design - and derailing the thread when you could have made a new one or dealt with older ones for history on what other OO have said on the matter repeatedly. That is not honoring the forum history or design - thus meaning motivation is irrelevant.

You are bringing up other things which make it seem like I spoke against Protestants as people, or working with them, which I never did and never would do. In reality, I said nothing against whatever degree of agreement there may be between us and them, so the charge of trying to create division is really unwarranted.
Seeing that one already did exactly opposite of what you claimed when trying to assert that Mar Thoma Christians were either all Protstant or that OO could not learn from them with Quarbana because of your claims (still unsubstantiated) that they are "dress up" , you did opposite of what HH noted when it came to Protestants since those groups were also present in his day.
And I can play Youtube video duel too
, though I don't think it's the best use of everyone's time.
No need, as you did the lower level activity with Wiki battles when trying to say what Mar Thoma Christians were and then resorting to YOUTUBE with HH....so trying to speak on "video duels" is redundant, as well as inconsistent when someone responds to what you placed up first and then you try to assert "Well I can do video duel too!"

If you're going to place up a video, one needs to show the context of the person's whole words/life - as that is what keeps from taking words out of context and selectively applying them. I already saw the video you first placed up long ago - and it does not surprise me since that's one of the easiest ones to go after and has come up in other discussions, with the logic being "HH said mixing was bad.....therefore, that group I don't like is what HH doesn't like too!!" (false equivalency argumentation).

Was HG Bishop Abanoub wrong in banning Protestant worship at what is supposed to be the Orthodox Church at Mokattam?
I don't think so, and I'm willing to bet that you don't think so either, and probably no Orthodox person would think so
Seeing that the thread is NOT about Bishop Abanoub, here is an example of what was noted earlier with doing what you speak against - as you brought up an issue entirely unrelated to the Malankara Orthodox Church as focused in this thread from the OP and a topic that can be its own thread.

That said, His doing so isn't the same as showing all others in the Church doing likewise - nor does it deal with the issue of what other leaders in the Church have said historically - and I am aware of the video you posted after your comment here since it is a hot-button issue. And I again refer back to His Grace Bishop Angaelos, General Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Church in the UK, in what he has noted.

. Why? Because we don't accept mixing Orthodox with heresy, right? Even if we love the heretic, and can cooperate with him in many ways that don't touch our doctrine (and why shouldn't we? He is made in the image of God as much as anyone, and loves and works for Christ as best as he can, no different than an Orthodox Christian would), we are to hold what we approve of in worship to a high standard, no? This is at any rate what I have been taught. Perhaps my priests, bishop, and all the other priests, deacons, and monks I've spoken to -- born Copts, all of them -- somehow suffer from being overzealous converts, too. Hmmm.
None of this goes to addressing the issue of whether that which is Protestant is automatically "heresy"....

It is not really difficult bringing up events where Protestant styles of worship have occurred in the Church consistently and reasonably.. We can start with events like the 2014 Coptic Youth COnference in Canada..with spoken word presentations and songs used in Protestant Churches, under the leadership of H.H. Pope Tawadros

Saw the same thing when at the Coptic South Eastern Diocese Youth Retreat - where prior to Divine Liturgy, the youth were singing with guitar to the song "I could sing of your love forever" and other Protestant songs. They and the leaders noted that it is not an "either or" dynamic when it comes to Protestant thought/using Protestant resources as if it is somehow a turf war where one can never note appreciation (and they were all Copts, to set the record straight)....and this is not unique AND HAS been discussed before. There is a difference between incorrect practices that are essential to the faith and those that are peripheral. And of course, with the same conferences I've gone to for the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern United States, the UNITY of LOVE concept has been explained in-depth many times.

Generally, only people who have convertitis assume that anything Protestant used by Copts or OO is automatically "heresy" and this has come up often.

I think it is very interesting to note, in the context of this discussion and particularly the very good idea that we know where the Church is and not where it is not, that HG asks the people (rhetorically) where the Orthodox Church is in Mokattam. In the context in which he is speaking it makes perfect sense. For some time the sense of Orthodoxy (and not just generic Christianity) had apparently been lost there. It is hopefully not uncontroversial to state that such a thing could happen anywhere (just look at the allegations that have been leveled against certain DC-area Coptic churches and priests, by fellow Copts), and that this begins by a prevailing sense that these people are fellow Christians (which is true), therefore it would be wrong and divisive to judge their theology, ecclesiology, etc (which is false). I am sure you understand why this is a problematic attitude, though you and I probably have different ideas regarding how to deal with that.
Again, false equivalency can be easy to fall into - as one setting where others noting people as fellow Christians led to a loss of Orthodoxy is NOT the same as saying that appreciating/referencing thought from other Non-Orthodox Christians means Orthodox ideology does not remain distinct. There are plenty who've noted that extremes occurring do not equate to going with things as they should - as DC-Coptic Churches have had to note when it comes to the allegations brought to them because they have actually gone and visited churches of others or referenced them. The logic used often is that someone who is a Copt in a non Oriental Church is automatically wrong in whatever they note (even if it is in agreement with a OO Copt) simply because they said it and it is over-reaction.

On that account, I repent of having used the term "garbage" twice, because I certainly do see how using that word is divisive, though again this is not my motivation. I apologize for having offended you and inadvertently dragged this thread so far afield. I am sorry. It is a poor choice. "Unhealthy", "dangerous", "insidious", etc. work just as well (though I'm not sure Protestants would find them any less objectionable).
Apology appreciated, although I would note that apology for going afield would also include discussion on things which include the same sentiment (i.e. "insidious" as an example) - so apology isn't just over word choice. It was necessary for going off course in not dealing with the OP context to begin with...

And the OP was centered on this:

As said in the video, A Visual Introduction To The Holy Qurbana is a proprietary of MGOCSM [Mar Gregorios Orthodox Christian Students Movement], a Student and Youth Wing of Malankara Orthodox Church.
http://www.stgregoriosphila.org

That video was the center of discussion, with it noted how it was an actual service (whereas the other from the beginning was never said to be Orthodox - but simply a presentation from the Mar Thoma Church). If one wanted to address Orthoxy, they would have dealt with the video give on the Visual Introduction.

As said earlier, the first one (from Mar Thoma) was on an instructional video (for others investigating who do not know on it) - it was never said it was an instructional video on ORTHODOX Qurbana since it was simply on basics, which is why the other video was placed up on the actual service. People have done similarly before - as we all realize the Malankara Mar Thoma church got splited from the Malankara Orthodox Church and there is a need of showing contrast, be it in similarity or in divergence when comparing to Orthodoxy and seeing how things can remain consistent even though there are significant differences that occur and make you appreciate Orthodox Qurbana more because you can visually see where others are not as complete.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes I've been to dozen of Qurbannas from folks that come from a Church of the East background (The Liturgy of the Holy Apostles, Addai and Mari).
I would like to go at some point with my family if I have the chance. The other Coptic believers I've worked with have noted where they appreciated Church of the East and it has been a blessing in the discussion :)

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Goodness, everyone is busy - as I just got done with a rather intensive semester in graduate school and I have been trying to get several things together. Of course, if I extremely busy, I would not be online responding whatsoever or making mention of it when others respond to things people place up as if they weren't busy.

Okay...

Claiming someone is going far field is not the same as showing such, as it concerns not addressing what multiple bishops and leaders in the Church have long worked with Mar Thoma Church and never came close to claiming they were either "Protestant" or somehow false in their Qurbana - or doing as you did by avoiding Malankara Orthodox Qurbana that was placed up for edificiation/placing that alongside Mar Thoma.

I wasn't "avoiding" the Orthodox Qurbana. I just didn't comment on it because it is Orthodox, so it's exactly what would be expected here.

If one goes off into the afield, one can't say others are in afield for responding to where things were off-track by avoiding dealing with the video from the OP as it concerns Quarbana and over-reacting without even dealing with the facts (as going to wikipedia is hardly dealing with the Church and what the leaders have said).

Okay. Apologies, then.

One video is from the Malankara Orthodox Church as the actual service and the other which came first was from Mar Thoma on them sharing thoughts on Qurbana - no more, no less. The logic you utilized is one saying "If I don't see the person being 100% OO sharing on an OO issue, then it's not true!!!" and that's silly...

My logic/question was "Why is this Protestant Qurbana being posted approvingly on an OO board? Don't Protestants have their own board, and shouldn't it be posted there, if anywhere?"

And as I already said, most of the other things you noted with Mar Thoma were off since they have never identified as Protestants and thus all criticisms are invalid until you can show where they identify as Protestants (as if anything not OO is automatically Protestant anyhow)

I don't know what their reticence to take up the label "Protestant" is supposed to show. Plenty of Protestants similarly reject it/feel it irrelevant, and yet when you look at their history and doctrines, they show that this is exactly what they are.

- as they are a Reformed Section of the Syriac Orthodox Church (Autonomous)

What does that mean? Are they actually in communion with the Syriac Orthodox Church? According to your source, they are not, and the people that they are in communion with are Protestants.

...and others in the OO world have pointed this out for some time with regards to the evolution of the group, especially as it concerns dialogues....and for accuracy, The Mar Thoma Church itself, while continuing to maintain a Syrian identity, has moved closer to the Anglican Communion and maintains communion with both the Anglican groupings in India - The CNI (Church of North India) and CSI (Church of South India)

That, in and of itself, does not make it Protestant (unless one wishes to assume anything Anglican cannot ever connect with OO and OO has somehow not done that - despite where that has been discussed on the boards before as well).

"Connection" is one thing, but I'm talking about communion. There's nothing wrong with talking and forming strong relationships and all that. We already do that with many churches and individuals, but they still remain whatever it is they are by their communion (Catholic, Protestant, EO, etc).

And on the issue, as said before, I go by the leaders of the CHURCH in their examples and what they have actually lived out when it comes to knowing who they are. Even outside of OO, we already have it where HH (Patriarch of Moscow) met/discussed withh the Catholicos-Patriarch of the Holy Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church of the East, Mar Dinkha IV Khanania

Okay.

ITrying to bring up HH thoughts on Mar Thoma (which he did not mention at all in the video you noted) in an attempt to claim a group is somehow "Protestnat" is not using HH words in context and dealing with what he did practically when it came to Protestant groups, be it in his graciousness or looking out for them and not saying their thoughts were all off simply because they were not Orthodox.

What on earth are you talking about? I never asserted that that video clip was about any particular group. HH was quite clearly talking about Protestantism generally there.

And seeing that no one is against that, it again goes back to the bottom line of what others have noted before: Not everything YOU agreed with or adhere to in your assessments is Orthodoxy simply because of where HH said that Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy (as if the OP or others were not keeping that in mind). This has happened before as was mentioned - and as said, anytime you post something that goes counter to what other Orthodox have long noted (including in behavior and practice in the Churches), it will be addressed.

I guess we are going to be having this same conversation until you are satisfied with my explanations, then. Meh. I'm used to your unfounded, over-reaching, and quite frankly rude character assassinations and insinuations about my fidelity to the faith by now. I don't like them, and i don't think they are appropriate in reaction to a post you don't like, but I'll bear them anyway, to make whatever point I try to make, and in an effort to learn whatever you say I'm missing in understanding the full context of whatever we're discussing.

"Forum police" is not limited to trying to "Stop" people in things, as it also goes with seeking to give critique without actually showing one knows the issues. It's really no different than going into threads others make and trying to say "You should have made your thread like this - this is what I would have done!!" when the facts are that they are not the ones who hold the standard of what should or should not be done. Others know the differences with Mar Thoma Christians and OO - that has been discussed long before you arrived. If you felt a description should have been added, you should have asked why none was given rather than seeking a lecture as if other OO do not know basics because of your leanings....as plenty of other threads have had the same dynamics and no one asked "Well what's this??!"" when they get nuance.

For hopefully the last time, I did not post that for the people who already know. I made that very clear in previous responses. I am sorry that it was not clear enough initially so that you might avoid having to continually lecture me on this point that has already been dealt with.

Their commitment to Orthodoxy, as was already noted, also does not change where they recognize God working in places OUTSIDE of it and thus impacting their ideology when they are not quick to claim as you have with things - Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy and truth is truth, but truth is not solely found within Orthodoxy as if it was the source of all things. That has been said on the forum and in the Church for a long time, dude - and it doesn't take long to find it.

Considering that I never wrote, nor even implied (nor ever would, for the record) that God is somehow bound by jurisdiction or communion, I think this is irrelevant. I don't think anyone's commitment to Orthodoxy is shaken by their enjoying Protestant, Nestorian, Catholic, etc. liturgies. I myself do the same, so it would be pretty hypocritical of me to claim that. But again, I didn't claim that, so this is all irrelevant.

I would, however, disagree that Orthodoxy is somehow not the source of all truth, depending on how you meant it (I wouldn't want to assume you said something you did not say; I just wish you would read my posts with the same approach). I believe that all truth is, by its nature, in accordance with the Orthodox faith of God, as our Lord Jesus Christ established this Church and its faith through His holy apostles and disciples. Thus all truth in whatever other faith, Christian or not, is a reflection -- however hazy -- of that same (Orthodox) faith, to whatever extent it is present in various philosophies (as when Protestants still worship the Holy Trinity, or Muslims still believe in the virgin birth and second coming of Jesus, etc).

Correction, as you already threw out multiple things for the demonstration of "convertitis" and have yet to substantiate - despite what other leaders in the Church have done on several levels, so it is inconsistent speaking of throwing things out when the bottom line is that nothing you threw out stuck since the attempt was born at throwing out what was not relevant to the OP - or the forum itself.

Forgive me, I cannot parse what this is means. Can you clarify using different words? I think the multiple uses of "throwing out" is tripping me up. Sorry.

You already assumed motivations (irrelevant as that is) when asking "What is this?" from your first comment - and you already assumed what others were doing when you didn't deal with information.

As others have said, don't accuse on what you already did first.

Well then I am (or was) in error. I am sorry.

And as said before, you already avoided the OP in its context when doing so and assuming motivations as well as design - and derailing the thread when you could have made a new one or dealt with older ones for history on what other OO have said on the matter repeatedly. That is not honoring the forum history or design - thus meaning motivation is irrelevant.

I don't think motivation is irrelevant, but again, I acknowledge my fault and ask your forgiveness.

Seeing that one already did exactly opposite of what you claimed when trying to assert that Mar Thoma Christians were either all Protstant or that OO could not learn from them with Quarbana because of your claims (still unsubstantiated) that they are "dress up" , you did opposite of what HH noted when it came to Protestants since those groups were also present in his day.

Mar Thoma Christians, if we are talking about the denomination which is descended from Anglican meddling in the Orthodox Church and remains out of communion with us and not using it as a general identifier to mean "all Indian Christian communities descended from the missionary work of St. Thomas", are Protestant.

If you're going to place up a video, one needs to show the context of the person's whole words/life - as that is what keeps from taking words out of context and selectively applying them. I already saw the video you first placed up long ago - and it does not surprise me since that's one of the easiest ones to go after and has come up in other discussions, with the logic being "HH said mixing was bad.....therefore, that group I don't like is what HH doesn't like too!!" (false equivalency argumentation).

Again, nowhere did I assert that the video was about Mar Thoma specifically, so this bit of mind-reading on your part (which is incorrect) is irrelevant.

Seeing that the thread is NOT about Bishop Abanoub, here is an example of what was noted earlier with doing what you speak against - as you brought up an issue entirely unrelated to the Malankara Orthodox Church as focused in this thread from the OP and a topic that can be its own thread.

The point I was making is supported by the video of HG, however: That embracing Protestantism has real consequences, that it is improper, etc.

None of this goes to addressing the issue of whether that which is Protestant is automatically "heresy"....

Well now that you've mentioned it (I never did), Protestantism is most definitely heresy, though I wouldn't say "automatically" so. We adapted the Sunday school movement from them, it can't be all bad. The question is rather where the line can/should be drawn, and that's one I trust to our bishops. HG Bishop Suriel of Melbourne, for instance, very publicly called out a particular Coptic priest who was found to be plagiarizing sermons from Protestant pastors, so obviously not everything will fly. But, no, not everything a Protestant says or does is heretical just because they are a Protestant. I've never claimed that, and never would.

They and the leaders noted that it is not an "either or" dynamic when it comes to Protestant thought/using Protestant resources as if it is somehow a turf war where one can never note appreciation (and they were all Copts, to set the record straight)....and this is not unique AND HAS been discussed before. There is a difference between incorrect practices that are essential to the faith and those that are peripheral. And of course, with the same conferences I've gone to for the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern United States, the UNITY of LOVE concept has been explained in-depth many times.

Yep. That's my diocese, and I am well aware of all these things.
Generally, only people who have convertitis assume that anything Protestant used by Copts or OO is automatically "heresy"

Oh good, I don't have convertitis, then, because that's very much not what I wrote. Thanks, Doc.

Again, false equivalency can be easy to fall into - as one setting where others noting people as fellow Christians led to a loss of Orthodoxy is NOT the same as saying that appreciating/referencing thought from other Non-Orthodox Christians means Orthodox ideology does not remain distinct.

Of course. Or at least I should hope so!

Apology appreciated, although I would note that apology for going afield would also include discussion on things which include the same sentiment (i.e. "insidious" as an example) - so apology isn't just over word choice. It was necessary for going off course in not dealing with the OP context to begin with...

Okay. So apology appreciated, but not really appreciated, because it's not about you think I owe an apology for? Hmmm...didn't you take me to task earlier in your reply for posting as though I was saying "You should have posted this, not that!"? Very curious, Officer.

I'm beginning to wonder why I bother, but alright. I'll take whatever degree of appreciation I can get.

That video was the center of discussion, with it noted how it was an actual service (whereas the other from the beginning was never said to be Orthodox - but simply a presentation from the Mar Thoma Church). If one wanted to address Orthoxy, they would have dealt with the video give on the Visual Introduction.

Again, I posted what I posted about the Protestant video and not the Orthodox video because there could not conceivably be any issue with having an Orthodox video presented approvingly on an Orthodox forum.

As said earlier, the first one (from Mar Thoma) was on an instructional video (for others investigating who do not know on it) - it was never said it was an instructional video on ORTHODOX Qurbana since it was simply on basics, which is why the other video was placed up on the actual service. People have done similarly before - as we all realize the Malankara Mar Thoma church got splited from the Malankara Orthodox Church and there is a need of showing contrast, be it in similarity or in divergence when comparing to Orthodoxy and seeing how things can remain consistent even though there are significant differences that occur and make you appreciate Orthodox Qurbana more because you can visually see where others are not as complete.

Yes, in that context it makes complete sense, and as I've already noted, I was wrong. I apologize. I am sorry. In effect, I was doing the same thing by posting the Syriac Orthodox videos I did (trying to provide material for comparison), which you criticized me for. I can see now that it was, at the very least, redundant. I'm sorry.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For hopefully the last time, I did not post that for the people who already know. I made that very clear in previous responses. I am sorry that it was not clear enough initially so that you might avoid having to continually lecture me on this point that has already been dealt with.
It is already understood that you did not post for others who already know - but as said before, it is IRRELEVANT (as well as assuming of the abilities/experiences of others who do know with those who DO) that things need to be posted as if posters are ignorant and cannot study for themselves. You already lectured assuming anything needed to be said (or that other conversations prior to this thread did not already have newcomers who asked and then info was brought up further....so again, if you're going to continue derailing with the lecture, save it and make another thread. It is disrespectful in this one continuing on as you have.

I wasn't "avoiding" the Orthodox Qurbana. I just didn't comment on it because it is Orthodox, so it's exactly what would be expected here.
Commenting on the Orthodox Qurbana was the subject of the OP - hence, comment on it was more than expected rather than trying to focus on that which was secondary and making it a center point in the manner which you did.

My logic/question was "Why is this Protestant Qurbana being posted approvingly on an OO board? Don't Protestants have their own board, and shouldn't it be posted there, if anywhere?"
As said before, claiming a Qurbana to be "Protestant" is not only inaccurate but going past what was actually present - and as said before, it tends to be reactionary claiming anything outside of OO Qurbana is Protestant since Mar Thoma aren't even Protestant to begin with and it has been discussed many times before (long before your arrival) where differing forms of Qurbana have been discussed alongside OO ones - so asking "Well why is this here on the forum?" begs the question "Why have you not taken the time to actually keep up with what discussions occur on the forum before trying to have a mini-discussion within a thread where the focus is not upon that?

I don't know what their reticence to take up the label "Protestant" is supposed to show. Plenty of Protestants similarly reject it/feel it irrelevant, and yet when you look at their history and doctrines, they show that this is exactly what they are.
It is not just them, seeing how others within the OO Church have long pointed out the same reality of not simply throwing out any label you wish because you disagree with them. Archbishop Veron Ashe loved the Coptic Church and met with Pope Shenouda III years ago in Hawaii, but there was never any claim of HH calling them Protestants because he knew the differences - and the same goes with
Bishop Angaelos attending a carol service at St John's Mar Thoma Church, London
....and again, simply saying "Well look at their history" doesn't show anything when it comes to asserting without real evidence - for those closer to Anglican communion, Anglicans are NOT Protestants and that is a basic fact. It is dishonoring for anyone to insist "Oh you're Protestants!" when their history does not show such ..

What does that mean? Are they actually in communion with the Syriac Orthodox Church? According to your source, they are not, and the people that they are in communion with are Protestants.
Who argued they were in communion with the Syriac Orthodox Church? This was already noted when it comes to saying the Mar Thoma Syrian Church is the first autonomous church in India since they broke away from Syrian Orthodox Church in the nineteenth century....and it was not with Protestants they were in communion with, as you've yet to show actual evidence on that. St. Thomas Christians have a varied history - especially in regards to the issue of the Catholic background from which things stem....and as said best in
Mar Thoma Metropolitans - Orthodox Christians:

In 1599, the Portuguese almost succeeded in forcibly converting the Syrian Christians to Roman Catholicism at the Synod of Diamper. But in 1653, through the Coonan Cross Oath, the Syrian Christians broke the shackles of Rome and proclaimed their autonomy. People wished to have a local bishop as their leader and thus they elected the then Arch Deacon as their bishop. He was ordained as a bishop under the title 'Mar Thoma' by 12 senior priests (Since then, this office of the high priest is known as 'Malankara Metropolitan'. No Persian bishop was present at this ordination. It was impossible for them reach here because the Portuguese were controlling the sea-routes to India and they made it sure that no foreign bishop would reach here to help the Indian church). This bishop is popularly known as 'Mar Thoma I' in the church history and is the first Indian bishop for a Christian church. He gave brilliant leadership to the church in the midst of troubles and fought to preserve the independence of the Indian Christians. Niranam church was the head quarter of the Malankara Metropolitans.

Mar Thoma II
Before his demise in 1670, Mar Thoma I ordained his nephew as Mar Thoma II. He was a very pious man. According to a local tradition once the people of Niranam were suffering from severe drought and they appealed to Mar Thoma II for his special prayers. As a result of his prayers the village received plenty of showers. Mar Thoma II led the church for 16 years and left for his heavenly abode in 1686. His mortal remains were buried inside the Niranam Church and every year his memorial day is celebrated on 16 th April.

Mar Thoma V
In 1728, Mar Thoma V assumed the office of Malankara Metropolitan. Despite the interventions of Roman Catholics and Syrian Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch in the affairs of the Church, he succeeded in preserving the autonomy and autocephalousy of the Church. In 1751, a group of bishops and priests sent to Kerala from Syria by the Patriarch of Antioch. Their mission was to re-ordain Mar Thoma V as 'Mar Dionysius' and thereby establish the supremacy of Antiochian Church over the Indian Church. The Dutch East India Company by whose ship they traveled, put the burden of the travel expenses of the group-around twelve thousand rupees- on Mar Thoma V. But he refused to pay the amount because the foreign bishops started ordaining priests and intervene in the administration of the Church as soon as they reached here. The Dutch arrested Mar Thoma V and threatened to send him on exile. This dispute was later settled by the intervention of the Government of Travancore. The Antiochian bishops tried hard to re-ordain Mar Thoma V and bring him under the Patriarch of Antioch. But he refused to kneel down as he was strongly convinced that the Indian Church is autonomous and autocephalous in all respects and it doesn't need any external intervention in its affairs. To reinforce this, he himself ordained Mar Thoma VI as his successor in 1761 at Niranam Church without the participation of foreign bishops. During his long tenure spanned for 37 years, Mar Thoma V successfully defended the disruptive activities of Antiochian Church and Roman Catholics. He passed away on 10 th May 1765 and cremated inside the Niranam Church. Every year his memorial feast is celebrated on 10 th May on a large scale.

"Connection" is one thing, but I'm talking about communion. There's nothing wrong with talking and forming strong relationships and all that. We already do that with many churches and individuals, but they still remain whatever it is they are by their communion (Catholic, Protestant, EO, etc).
No one said Mar Thoma change who they are in communion - as them being different doesn't mean they are not accurate in presenting basic facts when it comes to a Qurbana since the Qurbana itself remains even with differences changing context. It's no different than someone speaking on Coptic Hymnology in a class review even when they are not Coptic - the facts are the facts.

What on earth are you talking about? I never asserted that that video clip was about any particular group. HH was quite clearly talking about Protestantism generally there.
It is speaking outside both sides of the mouth when focusing on Mar Thoma Christians, then claiming they are Protestant - and then, when others respond to a video you place up pertaining to the issue, claim "Well I was speaking about Protestantism"....Protestantism was never a part of the thread till you brought it up with comments from HH - but the thread was not dedicated to Protestantism and you brought it up when claiming all MAR Thoma were Protestants.

I guess we are going to be having this same conversation until you are satisfied with my explanations, then. Meh.
Actually no - as the thread has a purpose and the derail is NOT it. Continue with it and it will be taken to Members Complaint since it is not respecting the OP and going against what has been discussed on the forum.

I'm used to your unfounded, over-reaching, and quite frankly rude character assassinations and insinuations about my fidelity to the faith by now.

I don't like them, and i don't think they are appropriate in reaction to a post you don't like, but I'll bear them anyway, to make whatever point I try to make, and in an effort to learn whatever you say I'm missing in understanding the full context of whatever we're discussing.
What follows here is another example of doing exactly what you speak against, as one doesn't complain on "character assasinations" and then do them or ignore where they were done to individuals/groups.

Seeing that no one said you were not Orthodox because of your disagreements, It is rather irrelevant whenever the appeals to ridicule take place as they are unfortunate - but if you're going to do so, do not bring up HH since he already spoke against such behavior in the OO church just as he spoke against others who work with others outside of the OO Church and assasinate their image in who they are. It is not necessarily a new dynamic, but speaking past context is something that would benefit you if you ceased doing so.....for as said before, the same dynamic happened at Tasheba.org and it was called out there. It is no different here, as it has been addressed before (when it came to Ethiopian Christians in Rasta culture and you trying to claim they were not having fidelity to their faith even though you never grew up in the West Indies and made several sweeping claims even about Bob Marley's priest....as noted here and here).

Thus, any attempt to play the role of the martyr is not necessary or credible.

Considering that I never wrote, nor even implied (nor ever would, for the record) that God is somehow bound by jurisdiction or communion, I think this is irrelevant.
Claiming God is not bound by jurisdiction is speaking out of both sides of the mouth when others outside of an OO Qurbana are speaking on communion and other OOs note it where it is accurate or speak of it - including the Mar Thoma Christians who have been communed with before and spoken to.
I don't think anyone's commitment to Orthodoxy is shaken by their enjoying Protestant, Nestorian, Catholic, etc. liturgies. I myself do the same, so it would be pretty hypocritical of me to claim that. But again, I didn't claim that, so this is all irrelevant.
Claiming you didn't claim that is irrelevant when one's actions are selective in what is or isn't said.....as one can't speak on Orthodoxy not being shaken by others enjoying Nestorian or Catholic liturgies - and then choose to make a lecture for other posters or visitors as if they are going to be shaken or need to hear.
I would, however, disagree that Orthodoxy is somehow not the source of all truth, depending on how you meant it (I wouldn't want to assume you said something you did not say; I just wish you would read my posts with the same approach).
My apologies if it is assumed that my mindset is assuming what is not said, as I can only go off the words shared here and deal with what is said.

That said, your words here are another example of where you do (again) the same thing you claim against - as it was claimed you didn't want others assuming motivation and yet you tried claiming my motivations with saying others were assuming things you didn't mean. Others already asked you to clarify and noted where it was understood - so to do so here would be akin to passive aggressive commentary that has the goal of playing a victim rather than seeing where you do exactly as you speak against. There's no need for that as it concerns the lack of Charity.

If you disagree, you disagree - and if you want to know where someone stands, you ask in humility rather than trying to insist others don't do what you feel you alone do. AND on Orthodoxy being the source of all truth, I mean exactly what I said: Not all things which are true in the world are only in Orthodoxy, as all truth is God's Truth.

I believe that all truth is, by its nature, in accordance with the Orthodox faith of God, as our Lord Jesus Christ established this Church and its faith through His holy apostles and disciples. Thus all truth in whatever other faith, Christian or not, is a reflection -- however hazy -- of that same (Orthodox) faith, to whatever extent it is present in various philosophies (as when Protestants still worship the Holy Trinity, or Muslims still believe in the virgin birth and second coming of Jesus, etc).
Of course - and I have never spoke against this, although what I have already said is that not all things true are automatically found FIRST in the Church since the Lord works in all places: Things can be echoed in other places which are found in Orthodoxy or rediscovered in places where Orthodoxy lost touch.

Mar Thoma Christians, if we are talking about the denomination which is descended from Anglican meddling in the Orthodox Church and remains out of communion with us and not using it as a general identifier to mean "all Indian Christian communities descended from the missionary work of St. Thomas", are Protestant.
That goes back to actually dealing with categories as they are, as Anglicans are not Protestants and that has been said multiple times. It is begging the question to say "Protestants" and yet not give verification of such.

As said best by one Anglican minister:

There is a great deal more that Anglicans have in common with Orthodox than we have in common with almost any other Christian tradition. Our understanding of ministry and mission, our ecclesiology, and even our understanding of the sacraments have deep resonances with one another. It is possible for a faithful Anglican to read a book likeKallistos Ware’s The Orthodox Way and agree with almost all of it without feeling the slightest guilt about betraying his own tradition. At the heart of classical Anglicanism is the recovery of the Catholic Christianity of the Early Church Fathers, and no tradition holds the Fathers in greater esteem than the Eastern Orthodox. In fact, it is because of such resonances that there have been so many positive contacts between Anglicans and Orthodox over the centuries. The Fellowship of Saint Alban and Saint Sergius is an ongoing testament to this.

Also, as it concerns the ways Anglicans agree with certain aspects of Protestant thought (just as Orthodox have at many points when it came to agreement with Martin Luther in his resistance to papal indulgences and papal infallibility from the Pope of Rome)...As another Anglican noted best:

In answer to the question: Is the Anglican Church Catholic or Protestant? Moss replies

"Both; it is Catholic positively and Protestant negatively. It is Catholic in its essential nature because it maintains the Catholic and apostolic faith and order. It is Protestant, in the old sense (emphasis added), negatively because it rejects the papal claims to supremacy, infallibility, and universal jurisdiction, and the decrees of the Councils of Trent and the Vatican."

When one is confused as to the use of these terms, they ought to be clearly explained. Some will argue (as Moss actually does) that the term Protestant has changed so much that we should omit its use all together (many Lutherans argue likewise, in that the old use of the term Protestant only referred to Anglicans, Lutherans, and Presbyterians; now that it refers so loosely to almost anyone not Roman Catholic it has become meaningless). However, the same could be said of the term "Catholic," since almost everyone means Roman when they say "Catholic" in the United States: Let's just stop using the word since it is so easily misunderstood. In my opinion we should follow the language of the Anglican divines, using both terms correctly and explaining the meaning in a clear manner to avoid confusion.

Is Anglicanism Protestant or Catholic? Ideally it is both, in the best sense of both terms.

And as I already said, Anglicans and Copts have already done Agreed Statements on several issues - so the reactionary claim of "Protestant" is unfounded. A
gain, nowhere did I assert that the video was about Mar Thoma specifically, so this bit of mind-reading on your part (which is incorrect) is irrelevant.
You did mind-reading when claiming Mar Thoma were Protestants despite where they and other OOs have said otherwise - and as the beginning topic of the OP involved them, bringing up the video is not necessary unless you wanted to do another thread where one could go in-depth since everything sprung up from your earlier claims on Mar Thoma being Protestants. AGAIN, people can only go by what you write directly and all other claims coming from your own writing.

The point I was making is supported by the video of HG, however: That embracing Protestantism has real consequences, that it is improper, etc.
That again goes back to dealing with the Church as a whole and what other Bishops have long noted when pointing out what it means to actually IDENTIFY properly what is or isn't Protestant and remembering that not all things labeled "Protestant" are opposite of the Church....and thus, not all reactions are automatically proper whenever claiming "Protestantism!!".....

Well now that you've mentioned it (I never did), Protestantism is most definitely heresy, though I wouldn't say "automatically" so. We adapted the Sunday school movement from them, it can't be all bad. The question is rather where the line can/should be drawn, and that's one I trust to our bishops. HG Bishop Suriel of Melbourne, for instance, very publicly called out a particular Coptic priest who was found to be plagiarizing sermons from Protestant pastors, so obviously not everything will fly. But, no, not everything a Protestant says or does is heretical just because they are a Protestant. I've never claimed that, and never would.
Incorrect as it concerns ignoring where you first raised fuss over Mar Thoma claiming it was embracing Protestantism by speaking of them positively - and no, it has yet to be verified where all things Protestant are automatically herectical....as that would be like saying "Fighter jets are planes which cause damage" and then assuming all things with wings are negative because of common elements. And seeing where Bishops have already done well with Protestant thought (Bishop Angaelos and others), I will go with them in their examples. We already know not all things Protestant are good

Oh good, I don't have convertitis, then, because that's very much not what I wrote. Thanks, Doc.
Of course, you've done just that in action with claiming Mar Thoma are Protestants - sorry, Doc...but it was a inaccurate analysis on your part and this has been done with others having convertitis.

Okay. So apology appreciated, but not really appreciated, because it's not about you think I owe an apology for? Hmmm...didn't you take me to task earlier in your reply for posting as though I was saying "You should have posted this, not that!"? Very curious, Officer.
This goes back to the issue of sincerity, as those truly repentant of going off course don't go back & forth with quips on why they didn't address what was an issue - no different than someone going into a house, starting an argument with others over things no one was discussing...and then saying "I am sorry for raising my voice" as if that was the issue. If one is sorry, they deal with the central issue earlier - for what was said earlier was "It is improper throwing out the term 'garbage' /negative terms without giving any evidence and going off topic with the subject rather than focusing"...so if you're going to speak on claiming others took you to task, it would be important to stay focused on the right issues."
I'm beginning to wonder why I bother, but alright. I'll take whatever degree of appreciation I can get.
People are not concerned with how much appreciation you get - as I am beginning to wonder if perhaps you're posting for the purposes of getting appreciation (regardless of if its warranted) simply because you feel entitled to it rather than simply discussing on topic.
Again, I posted what I posted about the Protestant video and not the Orthodox video because there could not conceivably be any issue with having an Orthodox video presented approvingly on an Orthodox forum.
This goes back to understanding the dynamics of the forum as well as forum history, as one doing their research would already know where the video was not about Protestants (despite the false claims on your part) and that other OOs have long posted appreciation for non-OO thought when it speaks on OO issues.

Regardless of intent, you took the thread off topic and have consistently kept it as such rather than actually discussing Holy Qurbana (i.e. Do you enjoy it? What about it do you appreciate it? What about Orthodox Qurbana stands out as different compared to other Qurbanas?, etc.).
Yes, in that context it makes complete sense, and as I've already noted, I was wrong. I apologize. I am sorry. In effect, I was doing the same thing by posting the Syriac Orthodox videos I did (trying to provide material for comparison), which you criticized me for. I can see now that it was, at the very least, redundant. I'm sorry.
Posting other videos on Syriac Orthodox Qurbanas is NOT the same as showing appreciation for Qurbanas where there are similarities and discussing where things diverge or are the same - as your context was calling the Mar Thoma Qurbana "garbage" rather than being respectful in charity ....and that was never the goal of the OP, especially seeing where Anglicans and OO have done extensive work together and visited services. Again, there's no need speaking on what others criticized for when you are not able to understand the criticism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Now I can't even respond to what you post in reply to me? Seriously?

Alright, well...I don't really want to continue discussing things with you anyway, so...good, I guess.

I'm sorry for derailing this thread, everyone.
It is needless argument via dramatic portrayal seeing that no one said you could not respond to what was said. What was said was for you to be respectful in not DERAILING a thread not dedicated to the things you insisted on talking on rather than making a thread on it - so if you're going to argue, stay on topic/deal with the topic respectfully. If not, it really is not reflecting what HH already spoke on when it comes to dealing with neighbors or believers in the Church in regards to grace and charity. Moreover, talking about "I am sorry for derailing this thread" but still making back-handed comments like "I don't really want to continue discussing things with you" is unnecessary ...if one is sorry, they can say so and walk away rather than feeling led to leave other comments which can come off petty.

The focus is on Holy Qurbana - as part of the OP question was "Does anyone here enjoy Qurbana?" - so one can discuss that or not

Last edited:
Upvote 0