Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's not the "mocking" that is the issue. It is that the Bible clearly states that they "supposed they were drunk" so they did believe the apostles were drunk. They didn't know, but that is what they thought, according to the Bible!

But if you want to think "they did not believe the apostles were drunk", it's ok by me but it is not what's written in the Bible. Just FYI -

I don't really see where that in itself is all that important. But what I do see as being important is that people to mock other people because they do suppose things that are not true. That happens today as well. I have, as I am sure others have as well, seen where some "Christians" mock and put down other "Christians" because of some of the way the Holy Spirit moves on people. In that case, as in the case in Acts, they are not actually mocking the people but the Lord!!! And that is important.

There is a lot said in the Bible about scoffers, and those that mock others. And I have personally seen cases today where some have mocked Christians for thinking they felt something we called being drunk in the Spirit. That is not against the people, that scoffing and mocking is against God, and that is a very great problem - which is the only reason I brought it up. And note: I am not saying Daniel Marsh is thinking that way. I am just making a comment. They did suppose the Apostles were drunk when the Spirit came upon them. Peter explained that, as recorded in the Scriptures. And so they mocked them!

We mock other people and make judgements about them for all sorts of reasons! This thread was not about being drunk in the Spirit or otherwise, but it was about "Holy Laughter" and I have also seen scoffers in that area. And there often seems to be a connection.

So bringing up the "mocking" was a good thing. Whether they did it because they actually supposed the Apostles were or not is not a big issue, but I just thought I would point that out to you. Often I find out that the things I do not think are a big deal in the Bible, the Lord comes back and shows me some important significance to them. He might to that now. Have you ever felt the Spirit come on you in such a way that you feel drunk? It is really pretty amazing, in that He really demonstrates His power at that time.

Acts 2:13 New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised Catholic Edition (NRSVACE)
13 But others sneered and said, ‘They are filled with new wine.’

You my friend do not understand mocking. They knew the apostles were not drunk.

It would be like saying all democrats are communists.
Clearly a democrat is not a communist.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 2:13 New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised Catholic Edition (NRSVACE)
13 But others sneered and said, ‘They are filled with new wine.’

You my friend do not understand mocking. They knew the apostles were not drunk.

It would be like saying all democrats are communists.
Clearly a democrat is not a communist.

Acts 2:15 For these men are not drunk, as you suppose

What part of the above verse do you not understand? They supposed the disciples were drunk!!!!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I keep noticing it happen to people during different meetings. Wondering what it's about?
Just had a quick look for information about it, and there are many who say it is genuinely from the Holy Spirit, but there are also those who say it is something false. The Bible does not speak about it, or if it does, then vaguely.

What are peoples thoughts on this?
When a person senses joy, and laughs with self-control, then it is a blessing. But when there is no self-control it can turn into a kundalini manifestation and bring the work of the Holy Spirit into disrepute.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
When a person senses joy, and laughs with self-control, then it is a blessing. But when there is no self-control it can turn into a kundalini manifestation and bring the work of the Holy Spirit into disrepute.
The Spirit governs those who surrender, who have received Christ so the government is on His shoulders. He does not push us. It is as they surrender, and ask, then they receive the experience of the Holy Spirit laughter. Not all laugh. Some are yet to receive Christ. They can still agree to receive. And the Spirit works with the leader, the outpourer vessel. So he can say stop if he wants to.

From Isaiah. Isa 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

It can't be a Kundalini spirit, or they would have to invite the snake, and open themselves and say such things as I am truth, as from yoga.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Spirit governs those who surrender, who have received Christ so the government is on His shoulders. He does not push us. It is as they surrender, and ask, then they receive the experience of the Holy Spirit laughter. Not all laugh. Some are yet to receive Christ. They can still agree to receive. And the Spirit works with the leader, the outpourer vessel. So he can say stop if he wants to.

From Isaiah. Isa 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

It can't be a Kundalini spirit, or they would have to invite the snake, and open themselves and say such things as I am truth, as from yoga.
We have to be very careful about manifestations that are not specified in the New Testament. The out of control laughter in public meetings that have been shown on Youtube are definitely not of the Holy Spirit, but rather an insult to Him.

There is a major invasion of the occult and Hindu mind-control happening in the main stream Charismatic movement. Many years ago, it was the lunatic fringe of the movement that were involved in kundalini manifestations, now the lunatic fringe has become the mainstream especially among those who preach the prosperity doctrine, believe that they are 'gods', use prayer and positive confession as witchcraft techniques to influence others. One has to start to wonder if these churches are any longer Christian but have departed from the true gospel of Christ to another gospel, another Jesus and another Holy Spirit than the Jesus and Holy Spirit of the Bible. There are those who have a stronger faith in a voice in their head, pretending to be the Holy Spirit, instead of what God has plainly inspired in the written Scriptures.

Question: When was the last time your pastor preached the gospel of Christ that says that man is totally sinful and deserving of hell, and needing a Saviour; that Jesus came and paid the penalty for sin when He died on the cross, and then rose again from the dead to give the promise that as He rose from the dead, so shall we on the day of the Lord; and that there is a requirement to live a totally holy life, sanctified to the Lord? Also, that walking up the front and saying a sinner's prayer is not enough to save a sinner; that genuine conversion to Christ has to be sought earnestly for, and only the Holy Spirit can do the work of transformation?

If your pastor doesn't preach that as a requirement for church membership, then one has to wonder whether the church is truly Christian. Something serious to think about.

There will be millions in hell who put on the Charismatic Christian "badge" but did not press into God to make sure that they are genuinely converted to Christ, and not just have "got" religion.

• Winner
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
It is a bit disappointing to get an email, with a good word but followed by a request for an offering. Although they must keep house and eat somehow.

There is no central authority on the prosperity Gospel. Some preach prosperity well, others maybe thieves. Some need it for full time ministry, others want to have excess... there is some good prosperity teaching.

If you have a lot, you can give more and my church gives away a lot of free food and clothing and sometimes cars to the needy.

In Australia, if you own a house, probably it cost a million dollars. You could sell it and build a school in Africa, but then one is homeless or has to rent.

When I first was pressed to repent by my dad, it was the time when psychology book shelves were full of positive thinking texts. My dad, and others were praying for me. My dad got me to use some alcoholics anonymous thinking. I was a bit of a pessimist. Things went bad for me, I thought I was going to die. I feared a bad fate, and then feared God. I asked God not to let me die over and over and began to pray the Our Father. Repented from all known sin, and took confidence. More positive. Then after days, fell on my knees Jesus was present, and I was cleaned, and stood up with a clear conscience. I now thought more positively and saw it in Hebrews 11.

My big mistake was to go back to school.

I think mind control hinders receiving and so some remain standing.

I received Jesus blood too. Positive thought and confidence match up. In pain of fear, I turned to God, got prayer and Jesus blood drove away fear and made my heart clean.

Love is the goal. Jesus will ask, what have you done for your fellow man and do you love me? We love God by showing compassion to those we can see.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It is a bit disappointing to get an email, with a good word but followed by a request for an offering. Although they must keep house and eat somehow.

There is no central authority on the prosperity Gospel. Some preach prosperity well, others maybe thieves. Some need it for full time ministry, others want to have excess... there is some good prosperity teaching.

If you have a lot, you can give more and my church gives away a lot of free food and clothing and sometimes cars to the needy.

In Australia, if you own a house, probably it cost a million dollars. You could sell it and build a school in Africa, but then one is homeless or has to rent.

When I first was pressed to repent by my dad, it was the time when psychology book shelves were full of positive thinking texts. My dad, and others were praying for me. My dad got me to use some alcoholics anonymous thinking. I was a bit of a pessimist. Things went bad for me, I thought I was going to die. I feared a bad fate, and then feared God. I asked God not to let me die over and over and began to pray the Our Father. Repented from all known sin, and took confidence. More positive. Then after days, fell on my knees Jesus was present, and I was cleaned, and stood up with a clear conscience. I now thought more positively and saw it in Hebrews 11.

My big mistake was to go back to school.

I think mind control hinders receiving and so some remain standing.

I received Jesus blood too. Positive thought and confidence match up. In pain of fear, I turned to God, got prayer and Jesus blood drove away fear and made my heart clean.

Love is the goal. Jesus will ask, what have you done for your fellow man and do you love me? We love God by showing compassion to those we can see.
If I received an email like that, I would reject and burn it, because it implies that payment is required for the word given. A word like that might sound good, but it is not from the Holy Spirit and could very well contain a spirit of divination that could attack you physically or spiritually.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Acts 2:15 For these men are not drunk, as you suppose

What part of the above verse do you not understand? They supposed the disciples were drunk!!!!

They were mocking them. What part of mocking do you not understand.

Peter often did not get it. Mocking is an exaggeration, a lie.

here are mocking quotes

“Your dignity can be mocked, abused, compromised, toyed with, lowered and even badmouthed, but it can never be taken from you. You have the power today to reset your boundaries, restore your image, start fresh with renewed values and rebuild what has happened to you in the past.”
― Shannon L. Alder

“What are you gonna do, angel face? Stab me with your eyebrow pencil?”
― Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Kiss an Angel
tags: anger, cosmetics, mocking, taunting
190 likes

“Aww, you know my verbal stingers are only poisoned with love”
― Laurie Faria Stolarz, Silver Is for Secrets
tags: amber, humor, laurie-faria-stolarz, love, mocking
33 likes

“Arrogant men with knowledge make more noise from their mouth than making a sense from their mind.”
― Amit Kalantri, Wealth of Words

“Now, if there were an Olympics for misleading, mismanaging and misappropriating then this administration would take the gold, world-records for violations of national and international law. They want another four year term to continue to alienate our allies, spend our children's inheritance and hollow out the economy. We cannot afford another Republican administration.”
― Dennis Kucinich

“We mock that which we don't understand, and then we get to experience it ourselves.”
― Sarah Gerdes, In a Moment

“We can't expect listeners to Humble themselves and Glorify God, if what they are hearing begins with mocking others and ends with untamed judging of fellow beings.”
― Santosh Thankachan

“He will fence with his own shadow.”
― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

“Doubt not the self O lion-heart, for those who call you crazy will one day worship you.”
― Abhijit Naskar, The Film Testament

“With satire the critique of social reality is performed, the immanent contradictions between expectation and reality are distinguished and judged; it is the artistic or literary form of conscious display of the mockful and/or distorted image of reality, during which not only does it want to cause laughter, but also to be understood seriously.”
― Ivana Marković, Kaznena reakcija u Srbiji: 7 deo

To mock something is pure ignorance. Intelligent people even open themselves to things that they don't understand. […] When an ignorant praises something, it won't probably be something profound. Surely it can't be the Principle that guides us.”
― Alfonso Colodrón
tags: ignorance, mocking

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
XI
1. Whosoever then comes and teaches you all these things aforesaid, receive him.
2. But if the teacher himself be perverted and teach another doctrine to destroy these things, do not listen to him, but if his teaching be for the increase of righteousness and knowledge of the Lord, receive him as the Lord.
3. And concerning the Apostles and Prophets, act thus according to the ordinance of the Gospel.
4. Let every Apostle who comes to you be received as the Lord,
5. But let him not stay more than one day, or if need be a second as well; but if he stay three days, he is a false prophet.
6. And when an Apostle goes forth let him accept nothing but bread till he reach his night's lodging; but if he ask for money, he is a false prophet.
7. Do not test or examine any prophet who is speaking in a spirit, "for every sin shall be forgiven, but this sin shall not be forgiven."
8. But not everyone who speaks in a spirit is a prophet, except he have the behaviour of the Lord. From his behaviour, then, the false prophet and the true prophet shall be known.
9. And no prophet who orders a meal in a spirit shall eat of it: otherwise he is a false prophet.
10. And every prophet who teaches truth, if he do not what he teaches, is a false prophet.
11. But no prophet who has been tried and is genuine, though he enact a worldly mystery of the Church, if he teach not others to do what he does himself, shall be judged by you: for he has his judgment with God, for so also did the prophets of old.
12. But whosoever shall say in a spirit "Give me money, or something else," you shall not listen to him; but if he tell you to give on behalf of others in want, let none judge him.

1. Let everyone who "comes in the Name of the Lord" be received; but when you have tested him you shall know him, for you shall have understanding of true and false.
2. If he who comes is a traveller, help him as much as you can, but he shall not remain with you more than two days, or, if need be, three.
3. And if he wishes to settle among you and has a craft, let him work for his bread.
4. But if he has no craft provide for him according to your understanding, so that no man shall live among you in idleness because he is a Christian.
5. But if he will not do so, he is making traffic of Christ; beware of such.

XVI
1. "Watch" over your life "let your lamps" be not quenched "and your loins" be not ungirded, but be "ready," for ye know not "the hour in which our Lord cometh."
2. But be frequently gathered together seeking the things which are profitable for your souls, for the whole time of your faith shall not profit you except ye be found perfect at the last time;
3. For in the last days the false prophets and the corruptors shall be multiplied, and the sheep shall be turned into wolves, and love shall change to hate;
4. For as lawlessness increaseth they shall hate one another and persecute and betray, and then shall appear the deceiver of the world as a Son of God, and shall do signs and wonders and the earth shall be given over into his hands and he shall commit iniquities which have never been since the world began.
5. Then shall the creation of mankind come to the fiery trial and "many shall be offended" and be lost, but "they who endure" in their faith "shall be saved" by the curse itself.
6. And "then shall appear the signs" of the truth. First the sign spread out in Heaven, then the sign of the sound of the trumpet, and thirdly the resurrection of the dead:
7. But not of all the dead, but as it was said, "The Lord shall come and all his saints with him."
8. Then shall the world "see the Lord coming on the clouds of Heaven."

~The Didache~

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 Corinthians 11:13
For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, fashioning themselves into Apostles of Christ.

What do you say? They that preach Christ, they that take not money, they that bring not in a different gospel, false apostles? 'Yes,' he says, and for this very reason most of all, because they make pretense of all these things for the purpose of deceiving. Deceitful workers, for they do work indeed, but pull up what has been planted. For being well aware that otherwise they would not be well received, they take the mask of truth and so enact the drama of error. 'And yet,' says one, 'they take no money.' That they may take greater things; that they may destroy the soul. Yea rather, even that was a falsehood; and they took money but did it secretly: and he shows this in what follows. And indeed he already hinted this where he said, that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we: 2 Corinthians 11:12 in what follows, however, he hinted it more plainly, saying, If a man devour you, if a man take you captive, if a man exalt himself, you bear with him. 2 Corinthians 11:20 But at present he accuses them on another account, saying, fashioning themselves. They had only a fashion; the skin of the sheep was but outside clothing.
CHURCH FATHERS: Homily 24 on Second Corinthians (Chrysostom)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mocking is an exaggeration, a lie.

Mocking can be a lie but does not have to be!!!

If you go up to a drunk and just start yelling at him "YOU ARE A DRUNK - YOU DRUNK -YOU" Is mocking a person. If you start going "Fatty, Fatty, Fatty" to a person obviously overweight, you are mocking the person. So it was that they were mocking the disciples when the Spirit fell upon them. They were mistaken about them being drunk, but they supposed that they were and so mocked them.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟249,401.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor

If you go up to a drunk and just start yelling at him "YOU ARE A DRUNK - YOU DRUNK -YOU" Is mocking a person. If you start going "Fatty, Fatty, Fatty" to a person obviously overweight, you are mocking the person. So it was that they were mocking the disciples when the Spirit fell upon them. They were mistaken about them being drunk, but they supposed that they were and so mocked them.
They must have looked drunk. The joy of the Spirit, the release of chemicals in the brain...

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That is known as Bullying by taunting them.

taunting
/ˈtôn(t)iNG/

adjective
intended to provoke someone in an insulting or contemptuous manner.

Upvote 0

Steve97

Dec 26, 2019
none
✟15,944.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
I keep noticing it happen to people during different meetings. Wondering what it's about?
Just had a quick look for information about it, and there are many who say it is genuinely from the Holy Spirit, but there are also those who say it is something false. The Bible does not speak about it, or if it does, then vaguely.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

"Holy Laughter" was a fad in the late '80's (est.) popularized by Kenneth Hagin. Some have claimed it as edifying, others demonic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is known as Bullying by taunting them.

taunting
/ˈtôn(t)iNG/

adjective
intended to provoke someone in an insulting or contemptuous manner.

That is also referred to as mocking them.

mock·ing
/ˈmäkiNG/
adjective
adjective: mocking
  1. making fun of someone or something in a cruel way; derisive.

Notice who it doesn't say that they have to be "lying" and Peter was not "lying" when he said "For these men are not drunk as you suppose" (Acts 2:15)

Still, this is not really important. But what is important is that we don't get into so much pride and lean so hard on our own understanding that we don't seek the Lord!! That's what is important! That was why those mocking were in fact mocking, making fun of someone in a cruel way, the disciples who had the Spirit of God fall on them. They supposed that they were drunk - according to Peter who was filled with the Spirit and thus not lying at that time.

So, my friend, I am not continuing on this because I need to be right but because we all need to be seeking the Holy Spirit. Have we not all read that the Scriptures are not for our personal interpretation but that we need the Holy Spirit to give us insight?

Yet we also see situations where people filled with the Spirit wind up laughing and appearing drunk in the Spirit and other Christians have gotten on to them

Upvote 0