Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I pray for his soul, and honor his memory, despite any differences I have with his philosophical positions.

Has it really been 7 years already?

I’ll have a glass of wine, but Scotch (especially a blended one) is not to my taste

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,468.00
Faith
Atheist
I pray for his soul, and honor his memory, despite any differences I have with his philosophical positions.

It has indeed.
Hitch said:
Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It has indeed.
I disagree with his conclusions, but I respect the examination into truth that he may have raised. Again, I pray for his soul, respecting his intentions, though in disagreement with his conclusions. He was brighter than me, and deserves my respect, even in discord.

Upvote 0

liberty of conscience

created anew
Dec 3, 2018
Visistate
Visit site
✟12,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I’ll have a glass of wine, but Scotch (especially a blended one) is not to my taste

He's dead, returned to dust. He can't hear you and knows nothing until his resurrection unto damnation/total destruction. All prayer for him now is useless and vain, having squandered the time of probation and offers of mercy that he did have in Christ Jesus, and God will not now hear. He is one of those who died outside of Christ Jesus, a lost man, blaspheming God. An atheist, as the scripture says, "without God" (Ephesians 2:12), TR. GR. αθεοι - atheoi.

Job_14:21 His sons come to honour, and he knoweth it not; and they are brought low, but he perceiveth it not of them.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.
Ecc 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Alcohol is forbidden in scripture, repent.

Pro 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Learn a lesson from the dead man. It killed him (poisoning the liver, deadening the brain, silencing the Holy Ghost, closing down an immune function, which did not help increase white blood cell count to counter cancer cells), it will kill you.

Gal_6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.

This is particularly abhorrent. Distrust compassion? Be arrogant and selfish? This is that Total Depravity that sees man as essentially disgusting, life as just selfish, suspects ulterior motive for any good action. This is a paean to all that is more dark in man. It is the jaded impulse of dragging everything through mud, thus excusing our failure to live up to high standards, by casting doubt upon it in the first place. He should really have suspected his own motives and excuses, instead of just assuming the worst to be true.

As the maiden Reason said in Lewis' Pilgrim's Regress: How do you know the original from a copy? How do you see that deep inside that cannot be seen? Must you keep a bridge or burn it, that you yourself must also cross, to keep it from your enemies?

I thank God for religion. For knowing that "it was Good".

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
On the 7th anniversary of Christopher Hitchens' death, I'm having a tipple of his favorite, Johnny Walker Black.
Not a whiskey person myself, but I will certainly raise a glass of the black stuff in his memory.

Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He's dead, returned to dust. He can't hear you and knows nothing until his resurrection unto damnation/total destruction. All prayer for him now is useless and vain, having squandered the time of probation and offers of mercy that he did have in Christ Jesus, and God will not now hear. He is one of those who died outside of Christ Jesus, a lost man, blaspheming God. An atheist, as the scripture says, "without God" (Ephesians 2:12), TR. GR. αθεοι - atheoi.

Job_14:21 His sons come to honour, and he knoweth it not; and they are brought low, but he perceiveth it not of them.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.
Ecc 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Alcohol is forbidden in scripture, repent.

Pro 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Learn a lesson from the dead man. It killed him (poisoning the liver, deadening the brain, silencing the Holy Ghost, closing down an immune function, which did not help increase white blood cell count to counter cancer cells), it will kill you.

Gal_6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
I'm sure you feel a lot better now you have got that off your chest!

• Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums