• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Hog-loving Orthodox Christians - BEWARE ractopamine & zilpaterol!

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by MariaRegina, Jun 1, 2013.

1. MariaRegina

MariaRegina Well-Known Member

+12,119
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Smithfield, a major producer of pork, is supposedly going to cut down its use of ractopamine in 50 percent of its operations. This drug, ractopamine, is a dangerous beta-agonist drug that has been banned or severely restricted in many countries. Apparently, by this move, Smithfield is trying to appease its foreign markets, Russia and China. However, like Monsanto, it does not seem to care about Americans.

Is Smithfield one of the many companies under the giant worldwide monopoly Monsanto? Incredibly why do anti-trust regulators ignore and protect Monsanto when it is obviously in violation of many anti-trust laws?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. MariaRegina

+12,119
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I do not eat pork, but I wonder if these two chemicals are used in chicken and beef production.

3. Wesley1982

Wesley1982 Guest

+0
    I bet it tastes good with barbecue sauce!...

4. Boris89

Boris89 Newbie

+19
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Sadly our American brothers are exposed to the most disgusting experiments with food production. Here in Eastern Europe we have the same tendency, although it's creeping in way slower. Greed is what stands behind all of this - the aim of the industry to produce the most food in the cheapest possible way. Be it at the expence of our health. Only God can help us.

5. Wesley1982

Wesley1982 Guest

+0
    I tend to focus more on what tastes good as compared to food quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
  6. AureateDawn

AureateDawn Love & Peace

+129
    Other Religion
    Single
    I'm sorry.

7. christianmomof3

christianmomof3 pursuing Christ

+1,034
    Christian
    Married
    Monsanto is the evil empire.
    The US runs on money and whoever has the most money gets their way.
    So, we eat poisonous food.
    No one cares.
    Because money rules.

8. Wesley1982

Wesley1982 Guest

+0
    ... For? ...

9. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,698
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    probably that you prefer food with poisons and such because of taste to healthy stuff that might not taste as good.

did I hit the nail on the head, Justin?

10. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,717
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    This should be marked as "OT" at the least - I personally would prefer to have these not on this board which is dedicated to discussion of Orthodox Christianity, but if I must suffer to endure these, they should at least be marked off topic, which seems to excuse any and all departures from the topic of this board.

11. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,971
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    gzt, it's a Christian issue. It's about our food supply and dying from it and starvation. It's a life issue, and as I said, it effects everyone, including Orthodox Christians. This is tied into Revelation - disease, famine, natural disasters, wars, etc.

12. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,698
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    plus Maria was pretty clear in the title what it was gonna be about

13. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) CF Ambassadors Supporter

+1,185
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    Amen.

What happens in the natural world when it comes to stewardship has always seemed an issue of tying to how one expresses their faith - for if they do nothing on issues which harm their neighbors (just as it is with Toxic Racism/discrimination being an issue), then how can they say they have love practically for their neighbors?

The Green Patriarch has spoken on the issue with valuing the environment

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  14. MariaRegina

+12,119
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thank you, Dorothea!

How many Orthodox Christians prepare a pork feast on the major feast days of our Church? Russian Orthodox generally prefer ham to turkey meat.

Surely, we should be concerned how the pig was raised and what chemicals were forced into that pig. If the EP is very concerned about our environment, and preaches that we should be good stewards, should we not also be concerned?

Yes, this is a life-and-death issue affecting all of humanity.

15. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git! Supporter

+28,467
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I suppose I have never really looked into that issue.

You would think the major meat markets, including the meat market in HEB for example, would post that info for consumers.

Most discussions on the GT board concerning pork revolve around the OC Levitical ordinances concerning clean and unclean meat, tho I do not know if the OC Hebrew Israelites even had access to pork during the time of the Exodus in the wilderness.

Here is a thread I started concerning the eating of pork [tho the title of the thread is a little "ambiguous" ehehe

http://www.christianforums.com/t7748539/#post63190364
    If you do not eat pork, Christ will profit you nothing

16. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,971
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    You're welcome, Maria! (sorry for my mix up LLOJ!)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  17. AureateDawn

AureateDawn Love & Peace

+129
    Other Religion
    Single
    Yes. I think it is sad.

Though what I believe to be more sad is the fact that I am often apathetic and uncaring despite my knowledge. Perhaps such apathy is more sorrowful than a mere food preference.

18. Wesley1982

Wesley1982 Guest

+0
    We get chicken,beef,and sausage from a butcher. Or you get can get meat a local foodstore - I would assume that the product would not harm you.