USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there anything wrong with hobbies? I collect things called funko pops. There little $10 figurines. I only get them if I have extra finances and feel like it is ok with God. Some stuff makes me wonder if it is ok to have hobbies. I think that hobbies might be part of God’s will for our life’s. I don’t think he wants us to get rid of every one of our interrests(non sinful ones). What does everyone else think?

Reactions: dms1972

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mate, do you honestly believe Christianity is about nothing but "giving up" everything that ordinary people find enjoyable and good? You're already wallowing in self-righteous sorrow because you've ditched Christmas and now you're wondering if it's OK to have hobbies as well?? :confused:

Seriously, the only thing that comes to mind right now is a story from David Kossoff's A Small Town is a World, a wonderful collection of short stories about Rabbi Mark and his small Jewish community. In this one, Mark has been called on by a wealthy friend to help his son who has become an "ultra ultra orthodox" Jew, to the point of just about wanting to turn himself into a saint...

‘You dress like an Elder of the old times,’ said Mark.

‘Yes,’ said the young man. ‘Always in white. I dress only in white.’ He carefully listed his pieties. ‘I drink only water. And I mortify myself. I lie naked in the snow, I have sharp nails in my shoes. Daily I have myself whipped on my back in penance.’

‘Look down in the yard,’ said Mark. ‘The carriage horse, who is white from nose to tail, has just drunk water, which is his only drink, and is rolling now in the snow, naked. He wears shoes with sharp nails in and is whipped every day. Tell me,’ said Mark to the young man, ‘what are we looking at, a saint, or a horse?’

The boy drew breath to make a learned reply and then didn’t, and smiled, and Mark felt hopeful.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If God is first in your life and you keep Him in your heart during your hobby activity then it is good. If the hobby displaces Him then not so good. Somehow God has to get the glory. You could recognize that God is allowing this in your life and even providing opportunity within it and thank Him..

I have multi hobbies that take place in different seasons of the year.

Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mate, do you honestly believe Christianity is about nothing but "giving up" everything that ordinary people find enjoyable and good? You're already wallowing in self-righteous sorrow because you've ditched Christmas and now you're wondering if it's OK to have hobbies as well?? :confused:

Seriously, the only thing that comes to mind right now is a story from David Kossoff's A Small Town is a World, a wonderful collection of short stories about Rabbi Mark and his small Jewish community. In this one, Mark has been called on by a wealthy friend to help his son who has become an "ultra ultra orthodox" Jew, to the point of just about wanting to turn himself into a saint...

‘Yes,’ said the young man. ‘Always in white. I dress only in white.’ He carefully listed his pieties. ‘I drink only water. And I mortify myself. I lie naked in the snow, I have sharp nails in my shoes. Daily I have myself whipped on my back in penance.’

‘Look down in the yard,’ said Mark. ‘The carriage horse, who is white from nose to tail, has just drunk water, which is his only drink, and is rolling now in the snow, naked. He wears shoes with sharp nails in and is whipped every day. Tell me,’ said Mark to the young man, ‘what are we looking at, a saint, or a horse?’

The boy drew breath to make a learned reply and then didn’t, and smiled, and Mark felt hopeful.
How am I being self righteous? I even said before I am not putting others down for celebrating holidays. It is my conviction. I’m just asking questions. I am not better than anybody else. All I’m trying to do is do good for God.

Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I just want to serve God

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How am I being self righteous? I even said before I am not putting others down for celebrating holidays. It is my conviction. I’m just asking questions. I am not better than anybody else. All I’m trying to do is do good for God.

I'm sorry, Kota, what I posted earlier was too harsh and uncalled-for and I shouldn't have said it. It's just that there does seem to be so much in what you've posted about "giving up" things that most Christians (and other people!) find to be a good and normal and happy part of life. It saddens me that anyone could think Christianity is mainly about asceticism and needlessly making oneself miserable for God's sake. That's what I was saying about the Christmas thing — if you feel convinced that Christmas as most of us know it is not right, but then feel sad at giving it up (as you said you were), why not just find a simpler and more deeply Christian way of celebrating it rather than throwing it away entirely? :glowingstar:

That, connected with a thread about whether there's anything "wrong" with hobbies, did come across to me as promoting a version of Christianity that's all about rejecting even the good and harmless joys of normal human life, which is what I unkindly over-reacted to. I do think (and I've experienced this myself) that if you find that a hobby is taking over your life in a way that distracts you from your devotion to God, it probably would be better to give it up or at least lessen your involvement in it. But if it's something that brings you joy, expresses your creativity, brings you into good and constructive friendships with others who share that interest, and maybe even gives you the chance to express your love for God in some way, then there's surely nothing wrong with it. :) You'll know what is or isn't right for you as your walk with Him continues.

Again, I'm sorry I wrote so harshly before.

Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, Kota, what I posted earlier was too harsh and uncalled-for and I shouldn't have said it. It's just that there does seem to be so much in what you've posted about "giving up" things that most Christians (and other people!) find to be a good and normal and happy part of life. It saddens me that anyone could think Christianity is mainly about asceticism and needlessly making oneself miserable for God's sake. That's what I was saying about the Christmas thing — if you feel convinced that Christmas as most of us know it is not right, but then feel sad at giving it up (as you said you were), why not just find a simpler and more deeply Christian way of celebrating it rather than throwing it away entirely? :glowingstar:

That, connected with a thread about whether there's anything "wrong" with hobbies, did come across to me as promoting a version of Christianity that's all about rejecting even the good and harmless joys of normal human life, which is what I unkindly over-reacted to. I do think (and I've experienced this myself) that if you find that a hobby is taking over your life in a way that distracts you from your devotion to God, it probably would be better to give it up or at least lessen your involvement in it. But if it's something that brings you joy, expresses your creativity, brings you into good and constructive friendships with others who share that interest, and maybe even gives you the chance to express your love for God in some way, then there's surely nothing wrong with it. :) You'll know what is or isn't right for you as your walk with Him continues.

Again, I'm sorry I wrote so harshly before.
I promise, I know being a Christian and following Jesus does not mean asceticism. Even in my study bible, it speaks against asceticism. I am just trying to do good for God and please him with everything I do/

• Friendly
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't feel there's anything wrong with it.

We aren't meant to live a monastic existence.

Personally I collect fragrances, whiskey, photography and I enjoy Korean film. I also really enjoy traditional shaving.
I agree. Also I'm into traditional shaving too. What's your razor of choice?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there anything wrong with hobbies? I collect things called funko pops. There little $10 figurines. I only get them if I have extra finances and feel like it is ok with God. Some stuff makes me wonder if it is ok to have hobbies. I think that hobbies might be part of God’s will for our life’s. I don’t think he wants us to get rid of every one of our interrests(non sinful ones). What does everyone else think?
Is There Anything Wrong with Sports and Hobbies? - Tim Challies

might be worth a read?

Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟72,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been guilty of obsessions in the past, these questions help me keep my priority in order.

do I think more about the hobby or God??

do I love the creation more then the creator?

do I spend more money on the hobby then the kingdom of God ?

Do I spend more time on the hobby then on God?

Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I agree. Also I'm into traditional shaving too. What's your razor of choice?

I have a Dovo 5/8" straight for when I have more time, but I typically use a Merkur 23C Long Handle with a Feather blade.

Before Feather I was using Derby blades and holy smokes, Feather blades are sharp and unforgiving. It has been quite a while since I realised my technique clearly needed some refining because these suckers will make my skin weep if I apply too much pressure.

I just ordered a couple new brushes as well as a Christmas treat. For soaps I find synthetic brushes to perform better, so I ordered some rather large-knotted ones that will arrive next week.

How about yourself?

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a Dovo 5/8" straight for when I have more time, but I typically use a Merkur 23C Long Handle with a Feather blade.

Before Feather I was using Derby blades and holy smokes, Feather blades are sharp and unforgiving. It has been quite a while since I realised my technique clearly needed some refining because these suckers will make my skin weep if I apply too much pressure.

I just ordered a couple new brushes as well as a Christmas treat. For soaps I find synthetic brushes to perform better, so I ordered some rather large-knotted ones that will arrive next week.

How about yourself?
Very nice selection! I haven't used feather blades although I actually have a pack I got with my initial starter kit. I settled on Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blades and just kept using them ever since.

I still use my Edwin Jagger DE89 which I also got with my starter kit. Most of my money has been spent on shaving soaps. I just got some Mike's Natural Soaps "Barbershop" for Christmas and some Pinaud Clubman original aftershave which smells great imo and is quite cheap so I can resupply in future.

I do own a straight razor, also 5/8". It's a Vintage Velvo but I don't think the blade is original. Nothing fancy, yellow plastic handle and as I said the blade has been replaced. I used it once and now it tugs and I just haven't got around to stropping it (partly because I don't really know how).

I rushed into buying it from a seller on reddit without really researching shaving technique and maintenence.

I also use a synthetic brush (Omega). I would like to try a boar brush soon though maybe a Semogue.

IMG_2004.jpg

That's the razor I bought but mine doesn't have "Velvo" on the tang

Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums