UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
To nitpick... Hitler never directly opposed Lenin, so rematch? Lenin died in 1924 and Hitler only came to power in 1933.
I know! I’m waiting for Stalin, and Mao to run against them(someone in South America must have named their children this). As it is Lennin is a stand in for the Soviet Union.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To nitpick... Hitler never directly opposed Lenin, so rematch? Lenin died in 1924 and Hitler only came to power in 1933.

Also neither spoke Spanish which might be confusing for a Spanish speaking electorate. Also they seem out of synch with the rest of the worlds reading of these names. I manage some global databases which have a load of Spanish names on. IT wise they are nightmare cause they love these double barrelled names like Jesus Moses González-Rodríguez which make for very long email addresses. Notice the special characters also which always mess something up. But I am sure they have had elections between Jesus and Moses also down there.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know! I’m waiting for Stalin, and Mao to run against them(someone in South America must have named their children this). As it is Lennin is a stand in for the Soviet Union.

I wonder if any North American or European would ever name their children Pinochet or Che Guevara.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
South America remained as neutral as possible during WWII, with most nations only picking a side when it became clear who was going to win. As a result, a *lot* of officials in the three main Axis countries fled to various parts of South America in the aftermath of the war and began to integrate. There were already small enclaves of people from these countries, and so the officials and their families were able to blend on in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I had a friend from Peru. Back in the '90's I asked him why Peru elected a Japanese president. He just shook his head and said "Peru is crazy".
A Japanese president of Peru isn't actually that odd. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it was thought the answer to overpopulation was to shift it to more sparsely populated areas. This is the underlying idea of the '10 pound poms' sent to Australia; Milner's settlement programme in South Africa, Rhodesia and Kenya; Welsh in Patagonia; the Italian Fourth Shore or French Algeria; or the Nazi's Lebensraum.

Japan did the same. They shipped excess population to Saipan, Hawaii, Peru and Brazil. There are large areas around Belem in Brazil and in Peru, where literally everyone is of Japanese descent - usually mixed by today though.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I can definitely imagine someone being named che Guevara.
Interestingly enough, Che is actually a mocking nickname based on Guevara's thick Argentinian accent. His real name was Ernesto. If I was to name my child after someone, I'd use their real name - no one would bat an eyelid at an Ernest though.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not that it matters, but Lenin was not his real family name. He was born Valdimir Ilyich Ulyanov. Early in his political career, he was sent to Siberia for his anti-government activity. He spent his exile near the Lena River. So he adopted the name of Lenin--which translates to man of the Lena. Just as well, since Ulyanov would be a very awkward first name.

Stalin was not a real family name either. He changed it from Dzhugashvili. Stalin means man of steel. I wonder if the Superman writers knew their character's nickname was the Soviet dictator.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,564.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A Japanese president of Peru isn't actually that odd. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it was thought the answer to overpopulation was to shift it to more sparsely populated areas. This is the underlying idea of the '10 pound poms' sent to Australia; Milner's settlement programme in South Africa, Rhodesia and Kenya; Welsh in Patagonia; the Italian Fourth Shore or French Algeria; or the Nazi's Lebensraum.

Japan did the same. They shipped excess population to Saipan, Hawaii, Peru and Brazil. There are large areas around Belem in Brazil and in Peru, where literally everyone is of Japanese descent - usually mixed by today though.
Yeah, true. I looked into that once. And I guess the Japanese analogy to Lebensraum was the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, which worked out equally disastrously.

The Japanese
by Ogden Nash, 1938

How courteous is the Japanese;
He always says, "Excuse it, please."
He climbs into his neighbor's garden.
And smiles, and says, "I beg your pardon;"
He bows and grins a friendly grin,
And calls his hungry family in;
He grins, and bows a friendly bow;
"So sorry, this my garden now."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums