hitch a ride on cargo boat to go to other countries? maybe for missionary work?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
hey, anyone know if you can hitch a ride on a cargo boat to a place like Kenya? or if you can work on a boat to get a cheaper ride over to another country?

You can pay for passage on a cargo ship but it's expensive. I looked into it once and it was thousands of dollars to cross the Pacific.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hey, anyone know if you can hitch a ride on a cargo boat to a place like Kenya?

I wouldn't think so. The cheapest way would be to fly.

And what would you do when you got to Kenya, anyway? How would you live?

Also, there's probably not much value in going as a "missionary" unless you have an organisation behind you and a clear need that you're filling.

Did you know that Kenya is 83% Christian? The USA is only 74% Christian. The USA probably needs missionaries more.

• Winner
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hey, anyone know if you can hitch a ride on a cargo boat to a place like Kenya? or if you can work on a boat to get a cheaper ride over to another country?

If your church is not recognising you as a missionary and supporting you, then you are not a missionary.

Get involved in working with your church, be someone who will be greatly missed because of your contribution to your church.
Then and only then start praying about becoming a missionary.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟229,557.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here's a site where you can find opportunities to travel for free by boat. You have to pay to have the ability to send a direct message, but you can browse the site for free.

Find a boat

If it's God's will for you to be a missionary in a foreign land, He will get you there.

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
yeah, also thinking about a boat that would help out with gluttony. being in a position where it is set schedule, work, and sleep. that would help out I think. just can't do it on my own, live in a place where good food is ALWAYS around me. and then being in a mission field, that should get my mind off of myself. I am hoping that serving others will help out.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Kenya International Travel Information Be sure to get yellow fever vaccinations, also unclear when Kenya is not going to allow a visa upon entry. Typically, countries allow you to be on a tourist visa for 90 days. Never say you are going to be working in undeveloped country. They likely will not let you in if you do that. According to the State Dept there are no currency restrictions upon entering. This may only apply to cash you bring in.
As to working on a ship, see How to Work on a Container Ship
Traveling on a cargo boat as a passenger looks to be over 100 dollars a day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0