Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Not literally. That's mean. Never hit a penguin.

Inspired by the "Don't ask me that" thread, I'll open the books on myself here. Ask anything, so long as it's within the rules of Christian Forums.

What kind of fish is your favourite? Or perhaps you don't really like fish ...

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Haha
Reactions: Heartofsilver
Upvote 0

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What kind of fish is your favourite? Or perhaps you don't really like fish ...
Fish are fun to look at. I like sharks. As for food, I don't care for fish, though I eat tuna every now and again.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Your social security number is 7?
Are you a founding father?
Last time I asked George Washington if I was, he laughed so hard his dentures flew out and bit Thomas Jefferson in the butt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you plan on giving a pebble to a fellow penguin someday? :penguin::chestnut::penguin::tonguewink:

I would love to, someday. One of the sparkly pebbles. I just haven't met her yet, far as I know.

What do you know would be an interesting question to ask, that we would not know we could ask you?

I'm really not sure. My interests include history, theology, writing, reading, music, gaming, movies, weaponry (swords, archery, firearms, etc.), Europe, South America, penguins, reasonable social discussions, mental health, and cooking...so maybe there's something there?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you know would be an interesting question to ask, that we would not know we could ask you?

I thought of one.

"What's a secular song you find worshipful?"

I have an aversion to a lot of Christian music, because a lot of those songs are attached to memories for me--unpleasant memories, I'm afraid. God led me through a time when I looked to secular music as my worship music.

"Bolero" from Moulin Rouge! is the first song to play in the end credits, and hits a lot of the "emotional notes" for me. It's a piece that causes me to reflect on God, His strength, His divinity, His consistency.

A lot of Linkin Park's music causes me to turn in repentance or express my struggles to God.

And as much as it might seem contradictory, the first time I heard Marilyn Manson's cover of Personal Jesus, I was encouraged and reminded that where men fail me, Jesus is always personal and consistent.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
where men fail me, Jesus is always personal and consistent.
Yes, God is personal.

You say when "men" fail you. Are you a lady, if I may ask?

I'm a guy, and I have always tried to be good with ladies . . . during my more adult years. I have spent more time with women than men, I would say, and I have been learning to first listen and make sure I understand what a lady is saying, including about what she wants; then don't try to change her, if she says she wants something, but either go with it or leave her free to get what she wants.

What do you think? :)

Upvote 0

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, God is personal.

You say when "men" fail you. Are you a lady, if I may ask?

Nope, I'm a guy. I meant "men" as in "mankind."

I'm a guy, and I have always tried to be good with ladies . . . during my more adult years. I have spent more time with women than men, I would say, and I have been learning to first listen and make sure I understand what a lady is saying, including about what she wants; then don't try to change her, if she says she wants something, but either go with it or leave her free to get what she wants.

What do you think? :)

Most of my friends are guys. I spent my youth chasing women, but I was never good with social interaction in general. I have learned--over the past five years or so--to stop chasing the idea of a relationship, and work toward just being who God wants me to be.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope, I'm a guy. I meant "men" as in "mankind."
I understood this possibility :)

Congrats on being a guy, but it will be what you make it, how you take it, just don't you fake it! :)

And be ready to discover someone you will be glad is a lady :)

Most of my friends are guys. I spent my youth chasing women, but I was never good with social interaction in general.
My perception is that while you were chasing women, perhaps you were mainly interested in using them for what you wanted. And I now realize that God's love does not have us only using any person; but we even personally care about each and every person. So, if you were more into self seeking, that way kept you from being able to do well in a relationship. So . . . now that you are more about loving . . . you can certainly do better in case you do discover someone special. What do you think? :)
I have learned--over the past five years or so--to stop chasing the idea of a relationship, and work toward just being who God wants me to be.
What you might be realizing, is not to try to get a relationship for using someone, but for what God wants. And as you become God's way, now you are ready to be more real in love so you can connect well with a real Jesus lady. But I offer > this will come with family sharing with various Christian men and women and children, in which process you will grow in how to relate as family, not only with some one other person.

"For if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (in Matthew 5:46)

I have even done work during church time, so others could have time for their relating with their special people. But also I was researching how the Bible says to relate with all our Jesus family people. So, even while I was not trying much to get closer to people I love and admire in our church, I was investing to be ready for a close relationship. I mean, I understood that my special people already had families and ones they were so good for; so I did work for them so they could have time for their sharing and ministering. And then my lady friend came along, and we have developed since then :)

So, what I was intending for others is how God blessed me :)

So, if I may, what scriptures have helped you to relate more in God's love?

What scriptures, if any, have been helping you get ready in case God does put you together with a lady of Jesus?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My perception is that while you were chasing women, perhaps you were mainly interested in using them for what you wanted. And I now realize that God's love does not have us only using any person; but we even personally care about each and every person. So, if you were more into self seeking, that way kept you from being able to do well in a relationship. So . . . now that you are more about loving . . . you can certainly do better in case you do discover someone special. What do you think? :) What you might be realizing, is not to try to get a relationship for using someone, but for what God wants. And as you become God's way, now you are ready to be more real in love so you can connect well with a real Jesus lady. But I offer > this will come with family sharing with various Christian men and women and children, in which process you will grow in how to relate as family, not only with some one other person.

I learned that love is not self-seeking. I knew that, intellectually, but it didn't sink in until I took time to figure out why I was always falling over myself for this woman or that one. I realized I was looking for a woman to make me happy, instead of finding my contentment in Christ.

From what I've gathered, being in love is fantastic. I have never been in love, but I hear it's wonderful. But loving someone isn't for our benefit. If I love someone, I want what is best for them, even if that means I don't get to be a part of their life. Being in love means looking for her benefit, regardless of what she wants, or what I want.

Thankfully, love provides opportunities for us to give our beloved what they do want. I look forward to the day when I have a Ladybird I can make happy. At the same time, it also means leading her and myself to follow God, which will mean that vacation she and I really wanted might have to wait, or might never happen, if it's not what God wants for us.

So, if I may, what scriptures have helped you to relate more in God's love?

What scriptures, if any, have been helping you get ready in case God does put you together with a lady of Jesus?

Lately I've been digging into the Gospels. The restoration of Peter, the encounter with the Gentile woman whose daughter was possessed by demons, what Paul had to say about the role of a husband and wife, what Paul wrote about love to the Corinthians, and the epistles of John, who talks about the nature of love.

I don't tend to have a "quiet time," because making a ritual of it makes it more of an obligation for me. Lately, however, I'll be sitting in the bath or at a bus stop, and a thought will occur to me, and I'll talk to God about it, or go looking for an answer in Scripture. My mentor and I also meet regularly to talk about life, and God is at the center of those conversations.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I learned that love is not self-seeking. I knew that, intellectually,
This is always an issue for me . . . how I might know the Bible about how to be and relate in love, but I can be intellectual about it, including sharing explanations; but am I really how God is able to have me become?

So, what helps you to get wise to how you are only being intellectual or producing just your own version of being unselfish?

I don't tend to have a "quiet time," because making a ritual of it makes it more of an obligation for me.
I would say be guided by God, about when to be quiet and alone with Him. And even while I am doing things, I can be deeply quiet so I am sensitive to Him and His input and personal guiding > in His peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

I'll be sitting in the bath or at a bus stop, and a thought will occur to me, and I'll talk to God about it, or go looking for an answer in Scripture.
So, what have you been feeding on, now, from Scripture?

My mentor and I also meet regularly to talk about life, and God is at the center of those conversations.
Do you want to share, more or less personally, about how your mentor has been good for you?

In my case, my role models help me to have compassion for people who are nasty and impossible and scheming.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is always an issue for me . . . how I might know the Bible about how to be and relate in love, but I can be intellectual about it, including sharing explanations; but am I really how God is able to have me become?

So, what helps you to get wise to how you are only being intellectual or producing just your own version of being unselfish?

It's all about core intent. I continually ask myself why I think or do something. Am I praying for someone so I can feel good about praying for them? Am I reading my Bible just because that's what I'm supposed to do, or so I can feel good about it? Am I bowing before God and singing "...that saved a wretch like me" because I actually think I was a wretch, or because people will look at me funny for not singing along?

What's my core intent? Why do I do what I do?

So, what have you been feeding on, now, from Scripture?

I've been looking through the ministry of Christ to understand my identity as His friend. I grew up in a toxic religion I call "churchianity," so I've spent a lot of time studying Christ's life, so that I might understand what it means to follow Christ.

Do you want to share, more or less personally, about how your mentor has been good for you?

As assuredly as God saved my soul, He sent my mentor to save my life. When I met my mentor, I was a 25-year old boy with the maturity of a child. I was arrogant, literally living in my own filth, and still buried under the crushing shame of my sin.

My mentor began to clear away the garbage in my life. He showed me love on a practical level, not just an emotional one. Being loved by my mentor did not feel good, because he would often make me realize where I was, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. He didn't use a "tough love" approach, but a "real love" approach.

We met through a writer's group, and he had something about his mental illness published. Independent of him, I read the published work, and saw bits and pieces of myself. I went to him to ask about it, and he helped me to find a therapist to diagnose me. As I began to grow, he talked me through the growing pains and uncharted waters.

When I was evicted and my family refused to let me live with them, my mentor gave me a place to stay. He counseled me in fitness, in knowledge, in hygiene, in wisdom, and in the process of growing from a boy into a man. He was and is patient with me, and to this day, he continues to provide me with opportunities to help me establish myself. Just a few weeks ago he gave me some work to help me earn a little money.

It is a fact that without my mentor, I'd be dead.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟19,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, or Coca Cola?
Pepsi. Mountain Dew, classic.

Vanilla or chocolate?

Chocolate. Dark chocolate, preferably.

Rice or bread?

Bread is more versatile. I like rice well enough, but there's just more you can do with bread to change the flavors and textures.

What do you eat for breakfast?

When I eat breakfast, it's usually a homemade bacon and egg sandwich with cheesy quick grits. Sharp cheddar in scrambled eggs, cooked to a crisp with bacon done until it's just short of crisp, on pan-toasted wheat bread with light Italian spices.

What 3 items will you bring with you if you were stuck in an island for a year?^_^

A notepad, pencil, and my survival knife, assuming it's a true survival situation. If it's "live on this island with amenities by yourself but you're not actually in danger of dying," I'll trade the knife out for another pencil.

Reactions: NurseAbigail
Upvote 0