The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
BTW, Quartodecimanism is definited as the practice of celebrating Easter on the 14th of Nisan. But this does not make sense. The Lord was crucified the day after the 14th and resurrected 3 days later. I can understand why a certain group may celebrate Easter 3 days after Passover, rather than the following Sunday, but why should anyone celebrate Easter on Passover?

Well, exactly. Quartodecimianism does not make sense; it was the practice in some churches in the Eastern Roman Empire, but it was thankfully abolished at Nicaea.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Although Monophysitism was condemned by the Fourth Ecumenical Council, its secret supporters (among the clergy and the highest nobility) remained. Even the wife of Emperor Justinian the Great was a Monophysite. Under her influence, in 535 Justinian elevated Anthim, a secret Monophysite, to the patriarchal throne of Constantinople. But at the insistence of the Pope Agapit, Justinian deposed Anfimus and a patriarch was appointed in his place, subordinate to the Council of Chalcedon.
View attachment 320277
But the Monophysites did not leave secret intrigues to gain power in the Church. They took advantage of the fact that some orthodox Christians, condemning the heresy of Nestorius (who insisted that Jesus Christ was born an ordinary person), fell into the other extreme (recognizing in Jesus Christ only the divine nature, denying the human nature in him). The Monophysites also managed to seize power over the Sees of Alexandria and Antioch (two of the five patriarchates of that time). In these cities there was a struggle between the supporters of the Council of Chalcedon and the Monophysites. It came to bloodshed: the Monophysites killed supporters of the Council of Chalcedon. In addition to the heresy of Monophysitism, other heresies also arose. Especially many new false teachings were generated by the mistakes of the church teacher Origen. He taught, in particular, that human souls existed prior to incorporation into bodies and were holy spirits (they were allegedly infused into bodies as a punishment for sins). Other well-known church teachers also made mistakes. The Monophysites accused the supporters of the Council of Chalcedon of being they are secret Nestorians.

The Fifth Ecumenical Council was in 553, in the city of Constantinople. He confirmed the condemnation by previous councils of the heresy of the Monophysites and Nestorians. The council also condemned the unsubstantiated fantastic teachings about the existence of souls before the existence of the body and other (less known) false teachings.

I have to stop you there. Empress Theodora the wife of Emperor Justinian was not a monophysite, but an Oriental Orthodox.

The Oriental Orthodox have always anathematized the Monophysites, who were led by Eutyches. Oriental Orthodox Christology, sometimes called Miaphysitism, is fully compatible with Chalcedonian Christianity, albeit defined using the precise terminology of St. Cyril of Alexandria.

As for the Monophysites, by the time of the sixth century, they had degenerated into tritheism. One of the more important Sixth Century Monophysite heretics was the Egyptian philosopher John Philoponus, anathematized by Alexandrian Greek and Coptic Orthodox Christians alike.

Unfortunately, because Ibas, who was later revealed to be a crypto-Nestorian, falsely accused the Oriental Orthodox of Monophysitism, Emperor Justinian after an initial phase of embracing OO theology including Theopaschitism and even inserting into the Byzantine liturgy as part of the Second Antiphon the hymn Ho Monogenes, which was written by the Greek Oriental Orthodox saint Mor Severus of Antioch, and which is the opening hymn of the Syriac Orthodox Divine Liturgy, turned against the Oriental Orthodox in a major way, going so far as to embrace Apthartodocetism, which while not a heresy, is a complex and problematic alternative to Theopaschitism, which ultimately became predominant in Eastern Orthodoxy. Justinian also violently persecuted the Oriental Orthodox, and it was only due to his wife that Mor Yakub bar Addai was able to avoid capture and ordain (by himself, which is permissable in emergencies, for example, if ones brother bishops are dead or imprisomed) a large number of Syriac Orthodox bishops.

Fortunately, the era of misidentification of the Oriental Orthodox as Monophysites appears to be ending, for example, if we look at the excellent relationship of the Antiochian Orthodox Church and the Syriac Orthodox Church, as defined in this 1991 agreement: Statement of the Orthodox Church of Antioch on the Relations between the Eastern and the Syrian Orthodox Church - Nov 1991

This relationship was only strengthened by the persecution both churches suffered, for example, the abduction of Metropolitan Peter and Archbishop Gregorios of Aleppo, with both the Antiochians and Syriac Orthodox continuing to pray for their return (I fear they have been murdered, probably by Al-Nusra or a group that merged into ISIS, but there is still hope).

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Quinisext Ecumenical Council.​

100. "Let thine eyes look aright, and keep thy heart with all diligence" (Prov. 4:25 and 23), wisdom bids us. For the sensations of the body can easily foist their influence upon the soul. We therefore command that henceforth in no way whatever shall any pictures be drawn, painted, or otherwise wrought, whether in frames or otherwise hung up, that appeal to the eye fascinatingly, and corrupt the mind, and excite inflammatory urgings to the enjoyment of shameful pleasures. If anyone should attempt to do this, let him be excommunicated.

(No interpretation of this Canon is in the Greek edition.)

Concord.

Inasmuch as some men were wont to paint or draw on walls and boards lascivious pictures, such as women stark naked or bathing or being kissed by men, and other such shameful scenes, which deceive the eyes of beholders and excite the mind and heart to carnal desires, therefore and on this account the present Canon commands that no such pictures shall by any means whatsoever be painted or drawn or sketched. If anyone should make any such pictures, let him be excommunicated, since all the five senses of the body, and especially the first and royalest one, the eyesight, is easily led to impress the pictures of those things which it sees into the soul. That is why Solomon recommends that our eyes look aright at things that are fine and good and beautiful, and that everyone of us keep his mind and heart away from the shameful objects of the senses.​

This is an example of the relevance of the canons of the Quinisext Council. I wish you would post these, and other canons from the Pedalion, in General Theology, so people can see the ancient canon law of the Church and its prohibitions against inappropriate contentography, homosexuality, voluntary castration (except where medically necessary) and so on.

Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟56,600.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is an example of the relevance of the canons of the Quinisext Council. I wish you would post these, and other canons from the Pedalion, in General Theology, so people can see the ancient canon law of the Church and its prohibitions against inappropriate contentography, homosexuality, voluntary castration (except where medically necessary) and so on.
In my opinion, the canons will always be relevant. The canons of the seven ecumenical councils approved the Gospel and the Bible. After all, there were many apocrypha and now some of them emerge in the form of "secret knowledge". These canons approved the Creed (what Christians believe).

Regarding the fulfillment of the commandments, since the devil is resourceful and came up with new ways of breaking the commandments, it was necessary to approve new canons. For example, very few commandments were given to the first pagan Christians: to abstain from idolatry, from eating blood and strangulation, to abstain from fornication, and not to do to others what you do not wish for yourself.

But then it was noticed that by abstaining from fornication by deed, people commit adultery in their hearts, thereby violating the commandment of Jesus Christ. When the church hid women from such people behind special clothes, they began to watch pictures of an erotic nature and again violated the commandment in spirit, although they adhered to the letter. The church then introduced a canon forbidding such paintings to be drawn and viewed.

Of course, now there are new sins. During the time of 1th thousend there were theatrical spectacles showing either eroticism, or cruelty, or ridiculing the dignity of a person. Now there is photography, film, television and the Internet. Therefore, while fulfilling the canon by letter, it can still be violated in spirit.

There are commandments against drunkenness. The canons lay down rules for what to do with drunkards. And in our time, drugs and rock music have also appeared, which also darken the mind, like drunkenness. There were sorcerers and shamans, and mediums and psychics appeared. Therefore, it is necessary to consider the commandments and canons not by letter, but by spirit. In this form, they will be relevant until the coming of Jesus Christ.

I do not know how to quickly move the topic to another section, because I have not yet fully mastered this forum. If you give me a hint, I will try to do it.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
“A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, ‘You are mad because you are not like us.’” (St. Anthony the Great)
st-anthony-the-great-2-1.jpeg

St. Anthony the Great - Orthodox Church Quotes

Just FYI, that icon of St. Anthony the Great is Coptic Orthodox, and they are among the Oriental Orthodox churches falsely accused of monophysitism.

Now there were actual monophysites, led by Eutyches, who degenerated into tritheism by the sixth century, when their most prominent representative was the Alexandrian Greek philosopher John Philoponus. Eutyches was anathematized by the Oriental Orthodox, as was monophysitism.

Since the Oriental Orthodox believe in the doctrine of hypostatic union, and in a divine and human nature of Christ, their Christology is extremely close to Chalcedon and identical to the wording used by St. Cyril the Great. Like the Eastern Orthodox, the Oriental Orthodox believe that the human and divine natures of Christ are hypostatically united without change, confusion, separation or division.

Indeed it was Mor Severus of Antioch who actually wrote the hymn Ho Monogenes, which in my opinion proves the Christological Orthodoxy of anyone who understands it and recites ot was introduced into the Byzantine Liturgy when Justinian attempted to reconcile with the Oriental Orthodox, before changing his mind and killing large numbers of their bishops (only one Syriac Orthodox bishop survived, Jacob Bar Addai, who ordained a large number of replacement bishops, which is why some call the Syriac Orthodox “Jacobites”, however, the lines of apostolic succession were later broadened via the Coptic, Ethiopian and Armenian churches and the Numidian Orthodox Church, which was killed off by Muslims. At any rate, whereas in the Byzantine Rite and the Armenian Rite, which has a Byzantine-influenced Liturgy of the Catechumens, the hymn Ho Monogenes is sung immediately following the Second Antiphon, in the Syriac Orthodox liturgy it is sung at the very start, when the curtain in front of the altar (sometimes there is an iconostasis, sometimes not) opens. The Copts use the hymn on Great and Holy Friday, but their divine liturgy features a Confiteor Ante Communion which makes

Speaking of which, the Syriac Orthodox Church in 1991 entered into a formal agreement with the Antiochian Orthodox Church, which recognizes the legitimacy and orthodoxy of the Syriac church, allows Antiochians and Syriacs in the Middle East to receive the sacraments in either church, provides for marriages between the two churches and disallows conversion between the,

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Justinian attempted to reconcile with the Oriental Orthodox, before changing his mind and killing large numbers of their bishops
Why did Justinian change his mind? Was it because the OO did not accept the decisions of the Second Council of Constantinople? From my readings, it seems that the Roman Church and many EO bishops accepted the decisions (whatever they were) under duress. I know the decisions that have been attributed to this council but the actual proceedings have been lost, and it is unclear why anyone should consider this a valid council. I know that Anglicans and most Protestants accept only four councils.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Why did Justinian change his mind? Was it because the OO did not accept the decisions of the Second Council of Constantinople? From my readings, it seems that the Roman Church and many EO bishops accepted the decisions (whatever they were) under duress. I know the decisions that have been attributed to this council but the actual proceedings have been lost, and it is unclear why anyone should consider this a valid council. I know that Anglicans and most Protestants accept only four councils.

No, the Second Council of Constantinople included an attempt to make peace with the Oriental Orthodox by anathematizing Theodore of Mopsuestia. Or, rather, Emperor Justinian anathematized Theodore of Mopsuestia in the Three Chapters which were subsequently ratified by bishops who then convened the Fifth Ecumenical Council. It is actually debated whether or not the Second Council of Constantinople itself actually ratified the Three Chapters. In any case, there is nothing in the content of the Fifth Ecumenical Council (Constantinople II) that the Oriental Orthodox object to. For example, they are not Monergists, or Universalists.

I think rather Justinian grew impatient with the Oriental Orthodox. His wife, the Empress Theodora, was also Oriental Orthodox, and indeed she helped ensure the safety of Bishop Mor Jacob bar Addai (Baradaeus) after the purge of other Syriac Orthodox bishops, and he in turn ordained, acting solus, about a hundred or so Syriac Orthodox bishops under clandestine circumstances.

One interesting attribute of the West Syriac liturgy used by the Syriac Orthodox, and the Maronite Catholics who separated from them in a schism, and the that sets it apart from the other ancient liturgical rites is it has very few litanies, and I have an hypothesis that this was due to the Syriac Orthodox Church having been, moreso than the other Oriental Orthodox churches, forced underground during Justinian, since litanies were historically sung in procession, with the Litany of Peace from the Byzantine Rite and the Roman Catholic Litany of the Saints both having originated in liturgical processions. Given the severity of the persecution of the Syriac Orthodox church, my thought is perhaps they were less able to engage in processions than even the other Oriental Orthodox churches or the Assyrian Church of the East. I would be interested in the thought of my Nasrani Syriac Orthodox friend @coorilose and my other Oriental Orthodox friends @dzheremi and @Pavel Mosko on this point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟56,600.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In Orthodoxy, it is customary to be guided by a practice that has justified itself for centuries. In ancient times, the holy fathers saw the manifestations of the Holy Spirit en masse. Thus, the decisions of all Seven Ecumenical Councils have been tested by time. From practice, from the fruits of the Holy Spirit, it became known that it is God's will that the decisions of all the Seven Ecumenical Councils be carried out.

Jesus Christ said: "I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it".
(Matthew 16:18).
From this passage we conclude that: 1) the church will be one, not many; 2) church will be uninterrupted from the time of the apostles until the end of the world.

The Holy Spirit does not make mistakes. If this was true in the first millennium, it remains true in the third millennium.

If we cancel the decision of the Seven Ecumenical Councils, it is the same as removing bricks and blocks from the foundation of the church. The whole building will collapse. Even the books of the Bible (including the New Testament) were approved by these decisions. Those denominations that rejected the decision of the Seven Ecumenical Councils have already stopped believing that the entire Bible is the Word of God and even they start doubt the Gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
In Orthodoxy, it is customary to be guided by a practice that has justified itself for centuries. In ancient times, the holy fathers saw the manifestations of the Holy Spirit en masse. Thus, the decisions of all Seven Ecumenical Councils have been tested by time. From practice, from the fruits of the Holy Spirit, it became known that it is God's will that the decisions of all the Seven Ecumenical Councils be carried out.

Jesus Christ said: "I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it".
(Matthew 16:18).
From this passage we conclude that: 1) the church will be one, not many; 2) church will be uninterrupted from the time of the apostles until the end of the world.

The Holy Spirit does not make mistakes. If this was true in the first millennium, it remains true in the third millennium.

If we cancel the decision of the Seven Ecumenical Councils, it is the same as removing bricks and blocks from the foundation of the church. The whole building will collapse. Even the books of the Bible (including the New Testament) were approved by these decisions. Those denominations that rejected the decision of the Seven Ecumenical Councils have already stopped believing that the entire Bible is the Word of God and even they start doubt the Gospel.

No one is talking about rejecting any of the Seven Ecumenical Councils. The problem is rather that the Oriental Orthodox were incorrectly accused of being Monophysites post-Chalcedon.

Oriental Orthodox Christology is consistent and compatible with Chalcedon, the Oriental Orthodox reject Monergism and Universalism, which were the main heresies anathematized at Fifth Ecumenical Council.

Regarding the Sixth Ecumenical Council, they reject Monothelitism, which was a stupid attempt to reconcile with them (however, this heresy may have been what caused the Maronite Catholics to separate from the Syriac Orthodox, as it is widely speculated they were Monothelite before entering into communion with Rome formally, and their affection for the office of the Pope, if that were true, may have been because Pope Honorius I, the only Pope of Rome in antiquity to be anathematized by one of the Seven Ecumenical Councils, was an ardent promoter of the heresy of Monothelitism, which again, the Oriental Orthodox reject.

And the Oriental Orthodox anathematize the Monophysites as well; the actual historical monophysites led by Eutyches degenerated into Tritheism by the sixth century. One noted sixth century Monophysite heretic anathematized by the Coptic Orthodox Church is the Alexandrian philosopher John Philoponus.

So thus, there is no issue with Chalcedon, Constantinople 2, or Constantinople 3,

And of course regarding the Second Council of Nicaea, the Oriental Orthodox have always categorically rejected iconoclasm, and at no time did any Oriental Orthodox Patriarchate ever get taken over by iconoclasts, and when some clergy in the Armenian church professed iconoclasm, they were promptly deposed.

Now of course it was entirely the fault of a superstitious emperor and his superstitious generals who attributed Islamic military prowress to their iconoclasm that the brief takeover of the Church of Constantinople by iconoclasts and the subsequent wave of iconoclasm in the Byzantine capital happened. Traces of this still exist today, for example, the iconography in the apse of the church of Hagia Irene was never fully restored; my understanding is that before the outbreak of iconoclasm it was painted in a manner similar to the domes of the Hagia Sophia. Fortunately in 843 after the death of the last Iconoclastic emperor, his wife St. Theodora the Blessed, the ethnically Armenian empress and regent for their son Emperor Michael IV acted to depose the Iconoclast Patriarch John VII, and she then worked with the new Orthodox Patriarch St. Methodios I to restore the veneration of icons, at the Triumph of Orthodoxy in 843 AD. Had St. Theodore the Blessed not been of Armenian ethnicity, she might not have grown up in a church that like the Eastern Orthodox church actively venerates icons, and Iconoclasm would have continued.

Thus Oriental Orthodoxy assisted Eastern Orthodoxy in eliminating iconoclasm, and also it was the Theopaschite Christology of St. Severus of Antioch that prevailed over the Apthartodocetism embraced by Justinian in his later years, and indeed we now know it was St. Severus who composed the hymn Ho Monogenes, which is one of the most potent confessions of Christological Orthodoxy. This is why the Syriac Orthodox Divine Liturgy begins with the singing of Ho Monogenes, and it is also sung in the Armenian Orthodox Divine Liturgy after the Second Antiphon like in the Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy, and the Coptic Orthodox also sing it, particularly during Holy Week.

Indeed St. John of Damascus is widely venerated by Oriental Orthodox; I have visited on many occasions a Coptic Orthodox parish that uses a prayer written by St. John of Damascus to prepare the congregation for the reception of the Eucharist. No actual Monophysite could venerate St. John of Damascus given his staunch opposition to that heresy.

This is why the Antiochian Orthodox Church and the Syriac Orthodox Church have intercommunion, and likewise the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria and the Greek Orthodox Church of Alexandria recognize each other’s legitimacy and allow intermarriage, and married couples can communicate at the church of either spouse. I have also heard reliable reports of Coptic pilgrims receiving communion at St. Catharine’s Monastery, which is the Cathedral of the autonomous Church of Sinai, under the Omophorion of the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople.

This is also why many Eastern Orthodox churches had special memorial services in 2015 commemorating the Armenian genocide, for example the Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia.

By the way, I have met several Eastern Orthodox who count the Photian Synod and the Palamist Synod as the Eighth and Ninth Ecumenical Councils, and I think there is merit to this. The Oriental Orthodox obviously supported St. Photius, and reject the Flioque, and Hesychasm has become widely accepted in Coptic monasticism thanks to the influence of Father Lazarus el Antony, who has promoted the use of the Jesus Prayer in the Coptic Church.

So consequently, the reunion with the Oriental Orthodox, which is happening and is likely only to be opposed by a minority of Eastern Orthodox who have had no contact with the Oriental Orthodox, will not entail the revocation derrogation, deprecation or alteration of the teachings of any of the Seven Ecumenical Councils, or indeed the Nine, for those who count the Photian and Palamite Councils. I expect only the Old Calendarists will object to the reconciliation with the Oriental Orthodox, but they may yet change my mind.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think rather Justinian grew impatient with the Oriental Orthodox.
"As to the Monophysites, they already, and for a hundred years, had the worst possible opinion of Chalcedon. Moreover--as we, with what is called "hindsight," can so easily see--the Monophysites had by now washed their hands of the Catholic Church, and what its councils decided would no longer have any interest for them.

"The subsidiary questions apart--for example, should councils condemn men dead long ago, who died in the peace of the Church?--what had the bishops of 553 done, in their list of reprobations, except condemn yet once again the Nestorian theology (as Vigilius had condemned it in his own message to the council) whether this heresy showed--as it certainly did--in the writings of Theodore, or of Theodoret and Ibas? The last two had, of course, corrected themselves long before they died. Even their controversial language about St. Cyril had been, as it were, apologised for and the amende accepted, in the reconciliation of 433. This did not, of course, alter the fact that they had, once upon a time, written erroneously. But the condemnations of 553, in so far as it touched these writings, was little better than spite."

the heresy of Monothelitism, which again, the Oriental Orthodox reject.
No, not really. The OO believe in Monothelitism.

Theology - CopticChurch.net

https://www.suscopts.org/messages/lectures/christlecture2.pdf

And many of the Chalcedonian bishops (not only Pope Honorius and the Maronites) also believed in Monothelitism and went so far as to cut St Maximus' tongue and mutilate his hand because he taught diothelitism!

In modern times, the famous scholar William Craig believes in Monothelitism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums