History of Catholicism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the Patriarchy of the OO and EO are specific bloodlines?
They are not according to bloodline. That is not a criterion.

Or specifc callings according to ethnicity and culture?
There have been arab, greek and jew patriarchs and there have been black bishops... doing anything according to race is a heresy known as phyletism.

I'm interested in the cultural factor of Christianity, because it differs by region and geographic location as well.
Don't confuse culture with religion.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't really know, but I think the pope who started the tradition of taking a new name was a pagan first--I think this because the whole reason he got a new name was because his given name was Mercury and it was it was theophoric (ie, it was given him to specifically show veneration of that god). He took the name John II instead.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,518.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I "thought" the Patriachy of the Orthodox Church are patriarchal descendants from the Bible.

???
A patriach in the East as wellin the West is simply a bishop of an important town, to who other bishops in the country depend on (more or less).

Just like the Patriarchy of the OO and EO are specific bloodlines?

Or specifc callings according to ethnicity and culture?

I'm interested in the cultural factor of Christianity, because it differs by region and geographic location as well.

Bloodlines?

What do you means?

All EO, OO, CC bishops (and so also the patriarchs) were not married.
Nor they were choosen in some particular family (a part the Orthodox Assirian Church of the East: that is a self standing case).

We had popes from famility of peasant as well as of senatorial families.
We had roman popes as well barbarian popes.

We had at least ten popes who cames from the East (East Rite): of course it was not a conversion because they were already Christian.

In the EO and OO most of the patriarchs were choosen between monks. Sometime that happened also in the West, but, because of the celibacy of the preists, in the West there have been always a bigger choice.

A historical note about the bloodlines: int he ancient roman and greek world the bloodlines were not so important: as instance the Roman Emperor was Emperor only because he was the leader of the army, not because he was son of a emperor (and usually he was not son of a Emperor).
It was only in the Middle Age that started the idea of bloodlines (and so of nobility of blood).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.