• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Historical Question On Women During Time of Christ

Discussion in 'History & Genealogy' started by footballfanatic, May 3, 2021.

1. footballfanatic

footballfanatic Only John Waye Left

+29
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    In the time of Christ, did single Jewish women (or married Jewish women) work outside the home to earn income?

For example, would a Jewish woman or wife have worked at a shop or with a merchant to clean, organize, or anything else as a way of earning income for herself or family? Would she have been allowed to?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+7,329
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Proverbs 31 indicates that as a positive trait of a woman (who is *also* taking good care of her home) though the time of Christ was hundreds of years later.

3. footballfanatic

+29
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Right, I know that passage exists and this isn't a women's rights or gender roles question. I'm just wondering if women actually did work outside of the home, perhaps in merchant shops or something like that - if women had jobs then (time of Christ) historically or not.

4. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+15,558
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    In some ways, your question is a bit anachronistic. In that time, most people worked in their homes (Joseph's carpentry workshop and sales space would have been in the family home, for example). If someone worked for someone else, that typically also meant being housed where they worked. That is, the idea of going out of the home to work for the day before returning home is something that mostly happened later (post-industrial revolution).

A woman might have had a stall in the market place which was outside the home, though.

5. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,522
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    If one wants an idea of what life was like for people in biblical times, look at any rural third world village and how the people live.
    Children would fetch water, find fire wood, help here/attend to any animals.
    Grain would be ground daily, ( daily grind! ) To make flour for bread, bread would be kneeded etc vegetables prepared and cooked. Wool/fleeces prepared, washed, carded then spun into woollen thread, cloth weaved, washed and streched. Any fat from what meat they are would be kept, refined to use as a lubricant, for cooking and making candles.
    In addition time for children to attend the religious school.

In there copious spare time they would attend the market and sell what ever surplus crops they had.

This is just the woman's activity.

6. footballfanatic

+29
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    I get what is possible and the general idea of what life would have been like. But I'm writing something and wanted true historical data as a basis for one of the characters. I'm trying to figure if a non-married woman would have worked outside of her home for a merchant or something like that.

7. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+15,558
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    She might have worked for a wealthy person, but then typically would have lived in that person's household. Remember that this is a society where about one third of the population were slaves.

8. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional Liturgical Christian

+1,074
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Interestingly, however, there was more centralization of industrial facilities in the Roman Empire than Medieval Europe as I am sure you are aware. The Romans even had trademarks and advertisements. Fortis was a popular brand of pottery, and there is in Pompeii a fresco advertising the classic Roman condiment “From the house of the Garum Merchant...” and then it gives his name, which I forget. I have a book on the history of trademarks as part of my collection on graphics design, which unfortunately I cannot find at the moment...