Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm very intrigued by historical creationism, a way of interpreting the first few chapters of Genesis found in the book Genesis Unbound by John Sailhamer, based on an understanding of the original Hebrew.

Genesis Unbound: A Provocative New Look at the Creation Account by John H. Sailhamer

Basically, historical creationism teaches that the six days of Genesis refer specifically to the preparation of Eden and the creation of Adam and Eve, rather than the creation of the rest of the universe, which happened in the indefinite past.

Historical creationism teaches that Adam was created out of the dust of the ground, and that the Biblical genealogies are correct that humanity is about 10,000 years old, but not that creation itself is 10,000 years old.

Historical creationism maintains that Genesis 1:1 is the account of the creation of the universe. This creation took place “in the beginning”—in an unspecified period of time that may have lasted a very long time and may have been a very long time ago. The Genesis account simply does not give us any time frame for when the physical universe was created. It could well have been created long ago (even millions or billions of years in the past), or it may have been created very slowly over time. Therefore, the historical creationist interpretation of the Genesis account does not require a “young-earth” view.

When we pick up the story in Genesis 1:2, the earth is unformed and unfilled. Prior to modern science, there would have been little or no understanding of the concept of Earth as a planet. Thus, according to historical creationism, the word earth would have been understood as a specific area of land, not “Planet Earth.” Genesis 1:2—2:24 recounts the preparation of a specific area of habitat for mankind—the Garden of Eden—which took place over a literal six days.

The relationship of Genesis 1:1 and 1:2ff can be stated in the following paraphrase: “In the beginning, God created the universe. After He did this, He turned His attention to a specific area for man to live in. It was dark, so He said, ‘Let there be light.’” The words formless and void in Genesis 1:2 (KJV) can refer to a wasteland or wilderness that is unable to sustain life. (The term translated “formless” is also used in Deuteronomy 32:10 to refer to the wilderness at the time of Israel’s wanderings. Had it not been for God’s special provision, the people could not have survived their time there.) So, according to historical creationism, rather than Genesis 1:2 referring to the whole earth as a formless mass, it refers only to a specific section of wasteland that God had chosen for man to live in. (The whole planet may have been a barren waste, but that is outside the scope of the text.)

So, God spent a week of literal, 24-hour days to get the Garden of Eden ready for man. He first commanded the sun to rise: “Let there be light.” On Day 4, God did not bring into existence the sun and moon (they had already been created in Genesis 1:1); rather, He declared their purpose. Instead of “let there be lights in the vault of the sky,” historical creationists would argue that the best translation of Genesis 1:14 would be something like this: “Let the lights in the vault of the sky be signs.” The lights had existed since Day 1 and were already providing light, but, on Day 4, God proclaimed their significance—just as the rainbow may have existed before Noah’s time, but after the flood God gave it special significance. In Genesis 1:14 God revealed that the purpose of the heavenly bodies is to serve mankind.
What is historical creationism? | GotQuestions.org

Historical creationism asserts that God created the universe, which lasted for an indeterminate amount of time, prior to God preparing the land for habitation in six days.[1] Historical creationism appears to be the most appropriate interpretation of the Creation account for three reasons. First, John Sailhamer explains that a proper interpretation of the word reshit, which is the Hebrew word for “beginning,” supports historical creationism.[2] In the Bible, the term reshit “always refers to an extended, yet indeterminate duration of time – not a specific moment…which precedes an extended series of time periods.”[3] In other words, the phrase in Genesis 1:1, “in the beginning,” may represent billions of years of the universe’s existence prior to the six days of activity in Genesis 1:2-31, which aligns with current scientific data.[4] Second, historical creationism supports God’s ex nihilo creation, meaning that God created “without the use of preexisting materials.”[5] Third, historical creationism views Genesis 1 and 2 as a literal explanation of God’s creative work, as opposed to interpreting the Creation account as myth or metaphor.[6] Finally, historical creationism overcomes a number of problems facing other Creation theories, including the lack of biblical support for the gap theory and theistic evolution; the absence of literal interpretation of the literary framework view and day-age view; and lack of scientific support by young-earth creationism.[7]
Mark Driscoll’s Creation Debate - Spiritual Discipleship

Reactions: Job 33:6

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm very intrigued by historical creationism, a way of interpreting the first few chapters of Genesis found in the book Genesis Unbound by John Sailhamer, based on an understanding of the original Hebrew.

Genesis Unbound: A Provocative New Look at the Creation Account by John H. Sailhamer

Basically, historical creationism teaches that the six days of Genesis refer specifically to the preparation of Eden and the creation of Adam and Eve, rather than the creation of the rest of the universe, which happened in the indefinite past.

Historical creationism teaches that Adam was created out of the dust of the ground, and that the Biblical genealogies are correct that humanity is about 10,000 years old, but not that creation itself is 10,000 years old.

Sorry that people are like wolves in the other thread. I enjoy the effort!

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I think I mentioned this before but between 54 minutes and 58 minutes, ken miller, who is also christian, I think brings up a good point against th idea of old earth creationism.

"Was God incompetent, making things that just kept going extinct? Was God restless? I'll try this, I'll try that. Or are these species related by descent with modification?"

Screenshot_20210527-073622~2.png

Screenshot_20210526-212239~2.png

@Humble_Disciple if not common descent, why do you think that God would create and destroy, create and destroy, create and destroy, over and over again, thousands or even millions of times?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210526-212239~2.png
    Screenshot_20210526-212239~2.png
    791.8 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought the Biblical genealogies of man was under 6,000 years.
The Jewish Calendar would certainly match up with this. If there were some discrepancy there, between the Jewish Tanakh and the Bible as Christians have translated it from the very beginning when it was compiled, then I would be more inclined to question it. But the veracity holds within the translations.

Though the two faiths don't agree at this time, the Tanakh, the Law and the Prophets, to which both adhere, certainly do not only agree, but are one and the same. The Moses of Israel is the same historical Moses of the Gentile believers who have been grafted in, and so on and so forth.

Interestingly enough, there are many modern prophecies concerning the six days of creation, the 6000 years we are coming up to since day one, and what the next set of 1000 years hold: the seventh set. Daniel's prophecy laid out weeks as cycles of seven years, and not seven days. Are we nearing the end of a week? The bible does describe creation as groaning and travailing. Is there a 'day' of rest around the corner?

If so, then maybe 10 000 years may be stretching it a bit?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
@Humble_Disciple if not common descent, why do you think that God would create and destroy, create and destroy, create and destroy, over and over again, thousands or even millions of times?

Isaiah 55:8-9
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Given the above passage of scripture, one can only speculate. Perhaps God created over a period of millions of years to carefully prepare the world for beings like us. Perhaps God wanted us to one day use fossil fuels.

Who knows? Another question we can ask, if evolution is true, why God would choose to create in a process that doesn't need Him in the first place.

If you look at the gaps in the fossil record, with long periods of stasis followed by the abrupt appearance of species, it seems to better support old earth creation than evolution.

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd be curious to see how theistic evolution is reconciled with Adam being the historical father of all humanity, by whom sin entered the world. If it can't be adequately reconciled, then I have no need for theistic evolution.

Just some thoughts on this one:

Through a theistic evolution perspective, with the exception of some who may believe that mankind is independent of the process of evolution, those who believe people are a part of the greater animal kingdom, believe that mankind of course is descended from things like proto apes and smaller mammals similar to mice which descended from reptiles and descended from amphibians and further descended from fish and further invertebrates etc.

In this framework, Adam and Eve wouldn't be people instantaneously created independent of the animal Kingdom. And so Adam being the father of all humanity could be either considered as the first true man and woman, or it could be viewed as the genetic Adam (most recent common ancestor of all people), or it could be viewed in a spiritual sense in that God breathed the spirit of life into Adam, meaning that Adam would be the first truly complete human upon receiving the holy Spirit. And of course there are more broad responses that Adam and Eve were created in an attempt to explain mankind's origins in a time where perhaps people just weren't aware of evolution (including Jesus Christ). These are a few ideas I've heard.

I don't think that the concept of Eve being made from a rib bone is explainable by theistic evolution. If it is, I've never heard of what this explanation might be. Aside from the story more broadly being considered as some sort of a parable. Although there is a mitochondrial Eve that is discussed however she did not live alongside the Y chromosome Adam (They would have lived hundreds of thousands of years apart).

Often times in a theistic evolution framework, I hear people suggest that sin may be something related to human nature, as opposed to a more broad concept related to death and pain.

Death is recorded in the fossil record, dating back long before people ever walked earth (For example in the Burgess shale there are arthropods that have smaller trilobites in their digestive tracts because they were eaten). So the ideas that no animals ate meat, or that T-Rex used it's massive jaws and serrated teeth to eat coconuts (this is what ken ham believes) or that all animals lived forever before mankind existed, these ideas just don't work out in a theistic evolution framework. And really they just don't work in a scientific framework either. Such things simply contradict what we see in the world.

These are just a few thoughts on your curiosity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Given the above passage of scripture, one can only speculate. Perhaps God created over a period of millions of years to carefully prepare the world for beings like us. Perhaps God wanted us to one day use fossil fuels.

Who knows? Another question we can ask, if evolution is true, why God would choose to create in a process that doesn't need Him in the first place.

If you look at the gaps in the fossil record, with long periods of stasis followed by the abrupt appearance of species, it seems to better support old earth creation than evolution.

Personally, another way of thinking of this is that a man and a woman may have a baby. And when people do this its as if the man and woman have created life. So have men and women created life without God or without the help of God? Why would God create a process of man and woman creating life if that process didn't need him?

My opinion is that God is actually active in these processes. It's true that we don't physically see Jesus standing next to a woman as she gives birth, and we don't see Jesus breathing life into the baby as it comes out of the woman's womb. But I don't think that this necessarily means that God is absent.

And when we think about theistic evolution, we have descent with modification which is animals giving birth to other animals and those children are slightly different and this happens over and over again throughout time. Is God truly absent from this process? I don't think that He is absent. Can I see Jesus standing next to that woman giving birth? Maybe not, but I just can't bring myself to say that God is absent. And with theistic evolution, I view it in a similar way. In descent with modification, I believe God is present.

Michael behe is a popular intelligent design advocate who also supports common descent. And he actually holds a similar view that God is present in this process of descent. And he challenges the theory of evolution on the grounds that the mutations that species undergo, in his opinion are not random. And more specifically he views God as being active in controlling those mutations and those steps and those morphological changes throughout time with use of common descent.

So rather than a species being created and deleted created and deleted created and deleted, thousands of times over, instead Michael behe believes that These species are still giving birth and living life just like we are, but that on a molecular scale, God is active and directing the genetic recipe that creates us.

So Michael behes works might be something that you're interested in. you just have to understand that he is supportive of the concept of common descent while also being an intelligent design advocate. And I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with his ideas but they just come to mind.

Personally, I think that in an imperfect world, evolution really is, in my opinion a brilliant design. Because it allows species to thrive in any environment. The Earth gets really hot, species evolve to survive in hot environments, the Earth gets really cold then species evolve to survive in cold environments. Some crazy virus comes along, people mutate and are able to survive against crazy viruses. Etc.

The design of evolution really is the most ultimate design because it allows species to be flexible against countless obstacles. It theoretically has allowed life to survive for billions of years in the face of massive ice ages, asteroid strikes, super volcano eruptions etc. Life has made it through it all. And only truly the best design plan could allow for that.

Regarding the fossil record, I think punctuated equilibrium is a simple explanation for your thoughts. Punctuated equilibrium is a concept used to describe descent with modification. And it basically suggests that the rate in which evolution occurs is driven in part by environmental forces. So that in some cases evolution can slow down and then other cases evolution can speed up. And this is actually observed in the real world (ex. See allopatric speciation and ring speciation). So it's not even really hypothetical.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Do you have an opinion on if God is present when a baby is born? And if so how do you view this differently than descent with modification in other animals throughout Earth history?

And do you have an opinion on punctuated equilibrium?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

evolution doesn't say a process without the need for a Creator, only the theorist don't need a Creator thus the idea.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My opinion is that God is actually active in these processes. It's true that we don't physically see Jesus standing next to a woman as she gives birth, and we don't see Jesus breathing life into the baby as it comes out of the woman's womb. But I don't think that this necessarily means that God is absent.

Do you have an opinion on if God is present when a baby is born? And if so how do you view this differently than descent with modification in other animals throughout Earth history?

Hmm that's a hard one to answer, babies born with cancer other diseases, birth defects physically and mentally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm that's a hard one to answer, babies born with cancer other diseases, birth defects physically and mentally.

So you don't think that God is present with the birth of human life?

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you don't think that God is present with the birth of human life?

He knows everything but that process in the womb is hard to wrap our heads around and why babies are born with missing body parts etc,

since you think God is present and active, what is your opinion on those tuff questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He knows everything but that process in the womb is hard to wrap our heads around and why babies are born with missing body parts etc,

since you think God is present and active, what is your opinion on those tuff questions.

It really goes back to the book of Job. God never really provided a clear answer on why evil exists.

Although I have considered the idea that brokenness ultimately must exist, in some fashion, else we would end up being Gods ourselves.

Although I could just conclude the following regardless:

I think that if someone can believe that God created life in a way in which a man and a woman give birth to a child, and that child is slightly modified by mutations, then it ought to follow that God could create evolution by common descent, given that in principal, common descent is subject to the same biological processes of male and female giving birth. Whether someone believed that God were present or not.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I created this thread specifically in the creationism sub-forum to avoid an argument over the evidences for or against evolution. I am more concerned about Biblical interpretation.

Young earth creationists claim that animal death somehow couldn't have existed before Adam's fall, even though Romans 5 refers specifically to human death, not animal death:

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

What's it to you if animals were dying for millions of years before God created Adam and placed him in the garden of Eden? Nowhere does the Bible actually say that animal death entered the world due to Adam's sin, yet young earthers insist on it.

As for those who accept theistic evolution, please explain how it squares with Adam being the historical father of all humanity, by whom sin entered the world, as the New Testament clearly teaches.

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I created this thread specifically in the creationism sub-forum to avoid an argument over the evidences for or against evolution. I am more concerned about Biblical interpretation.

Young earth creationists claim that animal death somehow couldn't have existed before Adam's fall, even though Romans 5 refers specifically to human death, not animal death:

What's it to you if animals were dying for millions of years before God created Adam and placed him in the garden of Eden? Nowhere does the Bible actually say that animal death entered the world due to Adam's sin, yet young earthers insist on it.

As for those who accept theistic evolution, please explain how it squares with Adam being the historical father of all humanity, by whom sin entered the world, as the New Testament clearly teaches.

Well, I always begin my own thoughts with a reminder that I'm a scientist and not a theologian. And what theologians conclude or don't conclude, falls on them. Theologians used to think that the earth was the center of the universe, but that didn't stop Galileo, and what theologians say today, be them young earth or old earth etc.) I cannot take over my personal scientific observations. Though while I may trust my personal observations over what others might say, I am also limited in my understanding of scripture, and I'm comfortable with this fact.

And, as Christians, I think we will always be left with some uneasy or challenging conclusions to topics. If someone came to Christianity thinking that all questions relating to life and the universe would be perfectly resolved with a little bow on top, then they are probably in for a rude awakening. Christianity responds to some of the deepest questions and concerns that we have, but creation is far more complex than our Sunday school teachings.

With that said, here are some of my thoughts on Romans 5 :)

I've heard some people refer to Adams death, potentially as a spiritual death, or purely spiritual. Just as God breathed life into Adam, but Adams physical form was made and existed prior to God breathing life into Him. Adam might die with respect to His connection with God in a spiritual manner.

Jesus came and died on the cross, and reversed the consequences of Adams sin, and yet, clearly physical death still exists in the world. Rather it's a spiritual eternity that Christ has given us.

Personally, I tend to also just throw in the caveat that Paul, the author of Romans, likely didn't know about prehistoric times. Paul wouldn't have known about those Burgess shale arthropods that hunted and ate trilobites (as evidenced by trilobites in their fossil stomachs), and so with his authorship, he just wouldn't have necessarily known enough about the past, to give distinct details that would have clarified on our dilemma.

Of course, this shouldn't be any surprise to us, but the latter in particular, can be a very offensive consideration to many Christians.

But maybe Paul did Believe that this death was spiritual.

Romans 6:11
"So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus."

Dead not necessarily in a physical sense, But dead in respect to our relation to Christ.

But to continue on:

Did death occur before the Fall? - Common-questions

"Thomas Aquinas has some other thoughts on the concept of death as a product of sin. He says
" Further, all are equally descended from our first parents. Therefore if death were the punishment of our first parents' sin, it would follow that all men would suffer death in equal measure. But this is clearly untrue, since some die sooner, and some more painfully, than others. Therefore death is not the punishment of the first sin."

"But in dumb animals death is not a punishment of sin. Therefore neither is it so in men." -Thomas Aquinas

I think what Aquinas saying is that, some people might die peacefully in their sleep, while others might die an agonizing death. If both deaths were the product of one man's sin, why would they come in different forms and in different magnitudes?

And he examines the question of, if Adam sinned, then why would animals, that have no awareness of Adams sin, also die?

SUMMA THEOLOGIAE: The punishments of the first man's sin (Secunda Secundae Partis, Q. 164)

Back to biologos:
"Truly the first man would have passed to a better life, had he remained upright; but there would have been no separation of the soul from the body, no corruption, no kind of destruction, and, in short, no violent change.” - John Calvin

This ideas seems to suggest a possibility that Adam may have introduced a certain form of death, but not necessarily All death.

Genesis 3:22
"Then the Lord God said, behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

A verse sometimes suggested to mean that man was mortal, yet depended on the tree of life for immortality. What would that mean for animals that didn't eat of this tree? Presumably that animals were never immortal.

Anyway, It seems like there are many different interpretations and ideas by theologians throughout history. Thankfully we have external means of investigating these questions (geology), that can cut through the variance of the human mind, to bring us closer to a rational conclusion.

Ken Hams ark museum presents the idea of Jesus walking among coconut eating t-rexs in the garden of Eden, but these ideas are truly impossible to justify when we look beneath the surface. Scripturally and scientifically.

And I think these young earth interpretations can be appealing because they are so simple. And they largely evade complicated questions by providing very simplistic solutions. Ark to small for animals? Well maybe the animals were all babies. No evidence for the global flood? Well maybe it all sprouted from the mid oceanic ridge. The young earth position offers very simplistic and surficial responses to very deep questions. Which I think makes it appealing to some who might not be willing to dig further into the topic.

Though in some ways, young earthers may be accurate. Perhaps authors of genesis really did believe that the entire planet was flooded or that Adam and Eve were real people made of dust and a rib bone. But, of course they also lives thousands of years ago before people learned things that we do now. There's a reason that the apostles didn't use cell phones or cameras or cars or planes to get around. The world didn't have the knowledge of science and technology that we do today. It would be like asking George Washington If you could describe the chemical makeup of the atmosphere of Saturn. Some things we just can't reasonably expect people in the past know.

View attachment 299816

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I always begin my own thoughts with a reminder that I'm a scientist and not a theologian. And what theologians conclude or don't conclude, falls on them. Theologians used to think that the earth was the center of the universe, but that didn't stop Galileo, and what theologians say today, be them young earth or old earth etc.) I cannot take over my personal scientific observations. Though while I may trust my personal observations over what others might say, I am also limited in my understanding of scripture, and I'm comfortable with this fact.

And, as Christians, I think we will always be left with some uneasy or challenging conclusions to topics. If someone came to Christianity thinking that all questions relating to life and the universe would be perfectly resolved with a little bow on top, then they are probably in for a rude awakening. Christianity responds to some of the deepest questions and concerns that we have, but creation is far more complex than our Sunday school teachings.

With that said, here are some of my thoughts on Romans 5 :)

I've heard some people refer to Adams death, potentially as a spiritual death, or purely spiritual. Just as God breathed life into Adam, but Adams physical form was made and existed prior to God breathing life into Him. Adam might die with respect to His connection with God in a spiritual manner.

Jesus came and died on the cross, and reversed the consequences of Adams sin, and yet, clearly physical death still exists in the world. Rather it's a spiritual eternity that Christ has given us.

Personally, I tend to also just throw in the caveat that Paul, the author of Romans, likely didn't know about prehistoric times. Paul wouldn't have known about those Burgess shale arthropods that hunted and ate trilobites (as evidenced by trilobites in their fossil stomachs), and so with his authorship, he just wouldn't have necessarily known enough about the past, to give distinct details that would have clarified on our dilemma.

Of course, this shouldn't be any surprise to us, but the latter in particular, can be a very offensive consideration to many Christians.

But maybe Paul did Believe that this death was spiritual.

Romans 6:11
"So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus."

Dead not necessarily in a physical sense, But dead in respect to our relation to Christ.

But to continue on:

Did death occur before the Fall? - Common-questions

"Thomas Aquinas has some other thoughts on the concept of death as a product of sin. He says
" Further, all are equally descended from our first parents. Therefore if death were the punishment of our first parents' sin, it would follow that all men would suffer death in equal measure. But this is clearly untrue, since some die sooner, and some more painfully, than others. Therefore death is not the punishment of the first sin."

"But in dumb animals death is not a punishment of sin. Therefore neither is it so in men." -Thomas Aquinas

I think what Aquinas saying is that, some people might die peacefully in their sleep, while others might die an agonizing death. If both deaths were the product of one man's sin, why would they come in different forms and in different magnitudes?

And he examines the question of, if Adam sinned, then why would animals, that have no awareness of Adams sin, also die?

SUMMA THEOLOGIAE: The punishments of the first man's sin (Secunda Secundae Partis, Q. 164)

Back to biologos:
"Truly the first man would have passed to a better life, had he remained upright; but there would have been no separation of the soul from the body, no corruption, no kind of destruction, and, in short, no violent change.” - John Calvin

This ideas seems to suggest a possibility that Adam may have introduced a certain form of death, but not necessarily All death.

Genesis 3:22
"Then the Lord God said, behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

A verse sometimes suggested to mean that man was mortal, yet depended on the tree of life for immortality. What would that mean for animals that didn't eat of this tree? Presumably that animals were never immortal.

Anyway, It seems like there are many different interpretations and ideas by theologians throughout history. Thankfully we have external means of investigating these questions (geology), that can cut through the variance of the human mind, to bring us closer to a rational conclusion.

Ken Hams ark museum presents the idea of Jesus walking among coconut eating t-rexs in the garden of Eden, but these ideas are truly impossible to justify when we look beneath the surface. Scripturally and scientifically.

And I think these young earth interpretations can be appealing because they are so simple. And they largely evade complicated questions by providing very simplistic solutions. Ark to small for animals? Well maybe the animals were all babies. No evidence for the global flood? Well maybe it all sprouted from the mid oceanic ridge. The young earth position offers very simplistic and surficial responses to very deep questions. Which I think makes it appealing to some who might not be willing to dig further into the topic.

Though in some ways, young earthers may be accurate. Perhaps authors of genesis really did believe that the entire planet was flooded or that Adam and Eve were real people made of dust and a rib bone. But, of course they also lives thousands of years ago before people learned things that we do now. There's a reason that the apostles didn't use cell phones or cameras or cars or planes to get around. The world didn't have the knowledge of science and technology that we do today. It would be like asking George Washington If you could describe the chemical makeup of the atmosphere of Saturn. Some things we just can't reasonably expect people in the past know.

Screenshot_20210528-112625~2.png

To follow on my last paragraph,

But then in awkwardness, young earthers cannot accept this possibility that perhaps Christ himself wasn't aware of human origins (because there are some passages where Christ refers to Adam and Eve). And this leads them down a dark road of belief in things like the following:

Screenshot_20210528-112625~2.png

Rather than facing the true complexity of the situation head on, they opt for producing some kind of purely imaginative arena where 50 foot tall men battle carnotaurus, gladiator style. A facade, or a very surficial and shallow response to a much deeper question. Jesus speaks of Adam and Eve? Well, must mean that people had gladiator battles with dinosaurs. The moon has holes on its surface? Well, must be made of swiss cheese! No real effort was made in conjuring or critiquing this conclusion.

I must have missed this part of the Genesis sermon at church.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

does scripture actually say Adam was the father of all mankind? just curious

Upvote 0