joinfree

Nov 3, 2016
EU
✟36,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The modern Physical Science records the unnatural brightness changes in the stars:
T. S. Boyajian, et al., "Planet Hunters IX. KIC 8462852: Where's the flux?" Mon.Not.R.Astron.Soc. {457}(4), 3988-4004 (2016), S. Scaringi, et al., "The peculiar dipping events in the disk-bearing young-stellar object EPIC 204278916'' Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. {463}(2), 2265-2272 (2016). Look the media reports in YouTube.

The stars abnormal brightness or the satellites abnormal accelerations one can name "Bruce effect'', played in "bruce almighty moon scene''

But also the historic Science has many records of unnatural Sun:
Unnatural (there was a full moon) blackout of the Sun during the crucifixion of Jesus Christ is the historical fact: Phlegon, Junius Africanus, Thallus, Dionysius Areopagite, Bible.
Can you help me to find these books and articles of these authors: Phlegon, Junius Africanus, Thallus, Dionysius Areopagite? I need it for the article, I am writing, see the file attached.

Attachments

• paperDMandDE.pdf
    101.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The modern Physical Science records the unnatural brightness changes in the stars:
T. S. Boyajian, et al., "Planet Hunters IX. KIC 8462852: Where's the flux?" Mon.Not.R.Astron.Soc. {457}(4), 3988-4004 (2016), S. Scaringi, et al., "The peculiar dipping events in the disk-bearing young-stellar object EPIC 204278916'' Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. {463}(2), 2265-2272 (2016). Look the media reports in YouTube.

The stars abnormal brightness or the satellites abnormal accelerations one can name "Bruce effect'', played in "bruce almighty moon scene''

But also the historic Science has many records of unnatural Sun:
Unnatural (there was a full moon) blackout of the Sun during the crucifixion of Jesus Christ is the historical fact: Phlegon, Junius Africanus, Phallus, Dionysius Areopagite, Bible.
Can you help me to find these books and articles of these authors: Phlegon, Junius Africanus, Phallus, Dionysius Areopagite? I need it for the article, I am writing, see the file attached.
Phallus is very easy. Try the top shelf :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is honestly not a lot to go on. Junius Afrcanus was writing in the 220's and citing an earlier work (now almost competently lost) by Thallus that itself was written around 52. Most other works by noted and reasonably respected (not saying Afrcanus is not) writers do not mention the event, which is odd in it's own right. Some say these writers (such as Josephus) did not include supernatural events, but that is not entirely accurate as Josephus does include some supernatural histories such as his information on Honi ha-Ma'gel.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Is there anything concerning this in modern scientific calculations?

Some records (like Josephus) may have deliberately omitted such type details for specific "political" reasons.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there anything concerning this in modern scientific calculations?
I am not sure why there would be since it was a one time event, it is not like other moon/sun events that we can predict with regularity. Or perhaps I misunderstand the question?

Some records (like Josephus) may have deliberately omitted such type details for specific "political" reasons.
Certainly possible, but also unlikely I believe. We look back at history in one way, but at the time other people could interpret the event in a different way, or simply as an anomaly.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

joinfree

Nov 3, 2016
EU
✟36,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Certainly possible, but also unlikely I believe.
Judging on horror of Christian persecutions (the Christians are the most persecuted people), the hatred inside the satan (the idol of Absolute Evil) is exactly infinite. Thus, they lie, lie, lie, only to please the idol of lies.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Judging on horror of Christian persecutions (the Christians are the most persecuted people)

I'd actually give that title to the Jews.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Judging on horror of Christian persecutions (the Christians are the most persecuted people),
Agree to disagree on that point. I would say the Jews (including Samaritans in that) have unfortunately earned that title based on how long and how many evils they have had to endure.

As I said, not a lot to go by. That article only cites the Book of Mormon and the "Revelation of the Magi" as extra-biblical sources, both of which are decidedly suspect on their sources.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joinfree

Nov 3, 2016
EU
✟36,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Agree to disagree on that point. I would say the Jews (including Samaritans in that) have unfortunately earned that title based on how long and how many evils they have had to endure.
Yes, all people in modern Israel are highly suffering from outside aggression. But if to count individual killings, starting from 33AC, the death toll of Christians (count in millions in USSR) can indeed be much dramatic.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, all people in modern Israel are highly suffering from outside aggression. But if to count individual killings, starting from 33AC, the death toll of Christians (count in millions in USSR) can indeed be much dramatic.
Agree to disagree. I'll leave it that persecution of Jews and Christians is terrible and pray that it ends.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Agree to disagree. I'll leave it that persecution of Jews and Christians is terrible and pray that it ends.

That all depends on who's historical narrative you're looking at. There's a lot of propaganda out there. Especially as we get into the 20th century.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,754.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Interesting comments on whether the Jews, or the Christians are the more persecuted. With a different member mix we might have claims made for the Hindus, or the Bhuddists, and so forth. And, objectively, atheists have often been dealt short thrift among any fundamentalists of any religion.

I think it might be more helpful, more ethical, more suitable, if we broadened tampasteves remark and simply deplored persecution of any kind, by any sect, creed, religion or political persuasion. That reduces the risk of bias.

Upvote 0

joinfree

Nov 3, 2016
EU
✟36,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,754.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it might be more helpful, more ethical, more suitable, if we broadened tampasteves remark and simply deplored persecution of any kind, by any sect, creed, religion or political persuasion. That reduces the risk of bias.

Works for me. :)

Let's get this back on topic though: Historical Sources of Sun Blackout at 33CE.

I reiterate, there are not really any historical sources for the blackout, only tertiary or unsubstantiated extra-Biblical sources. As far as I am aware the only first hand accounts are from the Bible, if those are even first hand. Even the OP's cited "Fact" writers are not really reliable and not first hand:
Junius Africanus was writing around 200 years later and citing a work by Thalllus that is lost.
Thallus's works are mostly lost, and the part about the sun is part of the lost AFAIK.
Dionysius Areopagite's writings, if they are legitimate (which is unlikely), are not verifiable.
Bible records the event, but not in John which is important.

Upvote 0

joinfree

Nov 3, 2016
EU
✟36,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I said, not a lot to go by. That article only cites the Book of Mormon and the "Revelation of the Magi" as extra-biblical sources, both of which are decidedly suspect on their sources.
But in the link to Wikipedia we see not only Bible testimony, but records of Greek and Roman historians, and philosophers. As examples: Thallus, Areopagite. All Earth people in 33AC are witnesses of this miracle. Thus, e.g., Areopagite does not need the literature sources: he can ask own memory or own blood relatives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But in the link to Wikipedia we see not only Bible testimony, but records of Greek and Roman historians, and philosophers. As examples: Thallus, Areopagite. All Earth people in 33AC are witnesses of this miracle. Thus, e.g., Areopagite does not need the literature sources: he can ask own memory or own blood relatives.

Except, again, Thalllus's writings on this subject are lost, so we do not know what he really said, we are hearing it second hand - at best - from Africanus a couple hundred years later. The writings from Areopagite are also likely later and probably not his. If all people in 33 CE witnessed this, there really should be more information and writings about it than just a couple suspect quotes.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0