SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Hilton employees fired after racially profiling guest at Oregon hotel
The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland employees who allegedly evicted a black guest for speaking on his mobile phone in the lobby have been fired just a day after being placed on administrative leave.

"We have terminated the employment of the two men involved in the mistreatment of Mr. Massey," the hotel shared on Twitter Saturday. "Their actions were inconsistent with our standards & values. We reiterate our sincere apology for what he endured & will work with diversity experts to ensure this never happens again."

I'm glad to see a positive resolution.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So am I, but I'm concerned by the number of times we have nationally-publicized errors and people are immediately fired or the equivalent. I can't help wondering what standards were set by their management. One action shouldn't result in firing. It should result in some action, with monitoring to see how they do in the future.

Depends on the severity of the action. There are lots of things severe enough that firing is justified for a one-time commission.

I have not heard anything at all mentioned in justification of the hotel manager deciding that a paying client should be removed from the hotel.

Was he shouting loudly on the phone? Was he using profanity? That has not been said.

I strongly suspect there is company documentation on the kinds of behavior that have to be met by management response, and that there is documentation of the proper actions to be taken.

Calling the police is a very severe step. No matter how it turns out, "They had to call the police in here for something" is nothing any business wants clients to be tweeting or putting on Facebook. And there is always the chance it can go very bad--someone shot, even.

So I can easily see upper management taking a dim view of turning a customer out for no acceptable reason and then calling the police for it to be a one-time firing circumstance.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I just watched the Instagram videos and while I could *maybe* excuse the initial contact, the hotel personnel had plenty of time to call things off and just play it off as a misunderstanding. But they didn’t, so the heck with them. They deserve to be fired.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I just watched the Instagram videos and while I could *maybe* excuse the initial contact, the hotel personnel had plenty of time to call things off and just play it off as a misunderstanding. But they didn’t, so the heck with them. They deserve to be fired.
But when several staff act unreasonably, you've got to wonder if the problem isn't broader than the individuals.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But when several staff act unreasonably, you've got to wonder if the problem isn't broader than the individuals.

Actually, only two, and two can certainly be stupid together.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
...Calling the police is a very severe step. No matter how it turns out.

There are certain groups of people that delight in using the police as their personal bully authority and will call the police over the most trivial of matters. ANd this goes doubly so for calling the police on minorities.

In the instagram video, it is very clear that the black man is calm and cool and collected., Of course we don't know what happened before he started recording but the probability is high that what happens after he starts recording is a reflection of what happened before he started recording. Similarly, when you are "in the wrong" you run from police, you don't stay calm and cool and wait for them. Lastly, the evidence is just on his side. You are staying at a hotel, you are in the lobby on the phone sitting in an area that looks to be devoid of people...

Sorry, this looks very very bad for Double Tree hotel.

Sometimes people let ego get the best of them. What I "suspect" that happen was that the hotel staff got their ego bruised somehow and decided to overreact.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes people let ego get the best of them. What I "suspect" that happen was that the hotel staff got their ego bruised somehow and decided to overreact.

Rent-a-cop goes on a power trip. News at 11.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are certain groups of people that delight in using the police as their personal bully authority and will call the police over the most trivial of matters. ANd this goes doubly so for calling the police on minorities.

Yes.

But as a purely business consideration (and that's going to be the consideration of franchise executives), police appearing on the premises is never a positive factor or even a neutral factor. It's a negative factor for a business. It means they show up as a blip on a crime heat map.

It means they get negative social media attention, which their social media manager is going to report every time her monitor app reports that video hitting a new site.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I still remember some kids playing with a ball and it accidentally hit a man's car. Rather than simply shout at the kids or tell them he will tell their parents, he escalated to, "If you hit my car with that ball again, I am calling the police!" That wasn't a warning, that was meant to instill terror into children. We need to start giving tickets for this kind of mess because even if the kids threw a ball at a car, the police should not be called in. If there are any damages, bill the parents, and if they don't pay, take them to civil court. Nowhere should the police be involved in the process.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yes.

But as a purely business consideration (and that's going to be the consideration of franchise executives), police appearing on the premises is never a positive factor or even a neutral factor. It's a negative factor for a business. It means they show up as a blip on a crime heat map.

It means they get negative social media attention, which their social media manager is going to report every time her monitor app reports that video hitting a new site.

Not to mention the possibility of a Yelp review.

I'm a Yelper and it is insane the power that Yelp has, especially for small businesses.

A negative review literally is easily 20 times more powerful than a positive review.

I've personally been with a group of people deciding where to go, they pull up a restaurant that has 45 glowing reviews and 2 bad reviews and because of those 2 bad reviews they INSTANTLY decide not to go and choose somewhere else...

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0