dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have listened to a lot of Hillsong music, both the early hillsong and more recent nd thought it was ok.

I recently came across this criticism and now I am not sure what to make of it.

What do you think of this?

Why your Church Shouldn't Play Bethel and Hillsong Music - YouTube

Just wanting to hear others thoughts on this.

Last edited:

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have listened to a lot of Hillsong music, both the early hillsong and more recent nd thought it was ok.

Hillsong music, during the 90s when Darlene Zeschech was still with them, was alright. The lyrics of their songs were focused more on who God is.

The more recent Hillsong music now follows Bethel, thus focus a lot on signs and wonders and how healing is for the believers etc.

That is why some people, especially people like Justin Peters and Costi Hinn, might be objecting.

Last edited:
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love Bethel and Hillsong. My church sings quite a bit of it. We are a Word of Faith church also though. Many of the songs do have lyrics that focus on God. I watched some of the video. I think people need to listen to songs that draw them close to God. If Bethel music doesn't do that, definitely listen to someone else. I have no idea about the theologies of people who sing music. I just see people are coming to God and drawing closer to God through these songs.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Can someone give a brief over view of the issues etc? Ta
It’s not so much the music itself. It’s that the church teaches a lot of falsehoods. And every time a church uses one of their songs, it is giving Hillsong money.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe it is the entire hypnotic "Encounter Gospel" culture where the danger is.
There are countless videos of what happens in such events, usually if not always directed to youth. Many suffer from unusual metaphysical and mental damage due to the hypnotic , repetative style of both Hillsong and Jesus Culture, the two main groups. Though maskerading as worship music the fact is it invites psychological abnormalities difficult to shake off causing the participant to feed from the experience leading to an addictive end game.
Ya, I have a pretty strong opinion of this as my niece is no longer a Christian, another Bethel victim. Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It’s not so much the music itself. It’s that the church teaches a lot of falsehoods. And every time a church uses one of their songs, it is giving Hillsong money.

I never have actually seen any preaching / teaching services. It all seems to just be "worship". I suppose there is a bit of "teaching" mixed in with that?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I never have actually seen any preaching / teaching services. It all seems to just be "worship". I suppose there is a bit of "teaching" mixed in with that?
Let’s say that’s true, and there’s no teaching. Then they are still in sin and shouldn’t be supported.

Reactions: Bramblewild
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The criticism of Bethel is the exploiting of young optimistic people with ridiculous spiritual dreams, and when they crash, they get kicked out. Because of the internet and modern technology this concert, dream like place can last for a few years. But when life hits the tarmac, prosperity gospel falls apart, people die from cancer while believing they are healed and sin is not confronted and repented of.

I will praise God with anyone, because the Lord is worthy of praise.
Most have no clue about the theology, or the fruit of these movements and what powers them.

But when they listen to prophets who speak with messages from the dead, you know they have become mediums and spiritists and left the gospel behind.
God bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That’s not preaching.

It evangelizes. It tells of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Bridge: Death could not hold You
The veil tore before You
You silence the boast of sin and grave
The heavens are roaring
The praise of Your glory
For You are raised to life again

You have no rival
You have no equal
Now and forever God You reign
Yours is the kingdom
Yours is the glory
Yours is the Name above all names

----what a beautiful, wonderful, powerful name is Jesus.

I believe God still heals and delivers today. He is all powerful, all knowing, all loving. These songs offer hope and I sing them to the King when we have them at my church. I don't look into teachings of the artists I listen too. Too many!!! I just choose the music/words/messages I listen too/sing.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It evangelizes. It tells of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Bridge: Death could not hold You
The veil tore before You
You silence the boast of sin and grave
The heavens are roaring
The praise of Your glory
For You are raised to life again

You have no rival
You have no equal
Now and forever God You reign
Yours is the kingdom
Yours is the glory
Yours is the Name above all names

----what a beautiful, wonderful, powerful name is Jesus.

I believe God still heals and delivers today. He is all powerful, all knowing, all loving. These songs offer hope and I sing them to the King when we have them at my church. I don't look into teachings of the artists I listen too. Too many!!! I just choose the music/words/messages I listen too/sing.
It’s not preaching. First of, it’s a woman. Women cannot preach. Second, it’s not expediting God’s word.

Reactions: Bramblewild
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It’s not preaching. First of, it’s a woman. Women cannot preach. Second, it’s not expediting God’s word.

We will just have to agree to disagree here on both accounts. Y'all have a good evening. God bless y'all in wanting to test the spirits.

• Friendly
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As Mayflower1 has stated, Bethel share the same roots as the Word of Faith churches. So if you are in one, you will naturally embrace their music.

Word of Faith churches embrace the doctrine that the signs and wonders that Jesus performed for Israel during the 4 Gospels, are supposed to be the norm even for Christians today.

• Informative
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0