✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How

How can I watch US TV when I live in the UK? I read the US papers and listen to what the Republicans say.

Americans may be aliens to me but I see them for what they are, I can see that most Americans are out for themselves,
most could not care less about their fellow Americans all they do is go with the flow, they wave the flag and put their hand on their heart and swear allegiance when underneath all they care about is themselves because that's the way they have been brought up to think.
They talk about the US being a Christian country when in truth the US is the most un-Christian like country on the planet.

All Americans seem to do is waste what they have, for them conspicuous consumption is the name of the game.
Greed and selfishness are not dirty words in the US.
1. Not everyone is a republican or follow those views.
2. Not all republicans follow the views you stated, they are in fact, quite charitable.

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
How can I watch US TV when I live in the UK? I read the US papers and listen to what the Republicans say.

Americans may be aliens to me but I see them for what they are, I can see that most Americans are out for themselves,
most could not care less about their fellow Americans all they do is go with the flow, they wave the flag and put their hand on their heart and swear allegiance when underneath all they care about is themselves because that's the way they have been brought up to think.
They talk about the US being a Christian country when in truth the US is the most un-Christian like country on the planet.

All Americans seem to do is waste what they have, for them conspicuous consumption is the name of the game.
1. Not everyone is a republican or follow those views.
2. Not all republicans follow the views you stated, they are in fact, quite charitable.
But generally speaking I got it about right.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Of course it does, all criticism sounds like bigotry to the one being criticised.
With the best will in the world, it does sound like stereotype-responsive bigotry. FYI, I'm an Australian, just so you know.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Your knowledge of Americans is as good as Sarah Palins knowledge of Russians.

What's next, you'll be telling me about how an American kicked your dog?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Of course it does, all criticism sounds like bigotry to the one being criticised.
No it's just bigotry.

It's like Trump talking about the evils of Mexicans, or a Brit talking about how the Irish are untrustworthy.

Except with you, it's not the Mexicans, or the Irish (as far as I know) it's Americans.

You use a broad brush like every other bigot in existence.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
With the best will in the world, it does sound like stereotype-responsive bigotry. FYI, I'm an Australian, just so you know.
Now she'll inform you how your opinion doesn't matter because, "prison colony" or some such.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
It's an easy one to solve, all anyone needs to do is tell me where I got it wrong, tell me what I said that was untrue.

Not all Americans are Republicans but those who are do not support the same Republican party their parents did,
but they don't seem to understand that.

It seems to me that the people who vote Democrat want the best for America and the American people, those who vote Republican don't really know what they want or what's best for America.
That's how I see it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's amusing watching you talk about people you don't know and who are alien to you.

Watch less tv, that's not America.
Regardless of the source, most anything that is seen or read about Americans has a slant. The people writing will put their opinion into any story, and even edit sound clips to make someone seem different than they are. One particular fellow was made to sound racist when a "911" call clip was edited to remove the part where the caller was asked specifics about the person he observed. It made the caller (in retrospect) seem to be racially motivated, and sent significant portions of the nation "out to get him!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that the people who vote Democrat want the best for America and the American people, those who vote Republican don't really know what they want or what's best for America.
That's how I see it.

You see wrongly.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's an easy one to solve, all anyone needs to do is tell me where I got it wrong, tell me what I said that was untrue.

This has already been done, repeatedly in more than a few threads, it doesn't sink in.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's how I see it.

They both want what is best, they just have different views on what that is and how to get there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I truly wish to know if you are talking about, "I can see Russia from my backyard." What knowledge of Russia are you referencing?
This:

"COURIC: You’ve cited Alaska’s proximity to Russia as part of your foreign-policy experience. What did you mean by that?

PALIN: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land — boundary that we have with — Canada. It, it’s funny that a comment like that was — kind of made to cari — I don’t know. You know. Reporters —

COURIC: Mocked?

PALIN: Yeah, mocked, I guess that’s the word, yeah.

COURIC: Explain to me why that enhances your foreign policy credentials.

PALIN: Well, it certainly does because our— our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of. And there in Russia—

COURIC: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

PALIN: We have trade missions back and forth. We— we do— it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where— where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is— from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to— to our state."

Using this logic I have foreign police cred because Mexico is only a few hundred miles away.

It was a silly comment and she should have thought more before saying it.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The federal judge has now declared that Hillary violated government policy and ordered the Department of State to consult with the FBI in regard to FOIA requests which apply to the data from Clinton's server.

Judge says Hillary Clinton's private emails violated government policy | Politico

We wouldn’t be here today if this employee had followed government policy,” said U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan, apparently referring to Clinton, during a hearing on one of the many Freedom of Information act lawsuits seeking access to her records as secretary of state.

Sullivan’s said Clinton’s actions had complicated the State Department’s ability to respond to requests for records on various topics. He also ordered the State Department to contact the FBI to determine whether the private server Clinton used, which Clinton turned over to that law enforcement agency earlier this month, contains official records possibly responsive to the FOIA suit.

After Justice Department lawyer Peter Wechsler argued that the open records law normally doesn’t allow for searches of government officials’ private accounts, the judge said he viewed it as an unusual situation because “there was a violation of government policy.”

We’re not talking about a search of anyone’s random email,” Sullivan added.

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... Using this logic I have foreign police cred because Mexico is only a few hundred miles away.

It was a silly comment and she should have thought more before saying it.
The reason I ask is because of how many people think she said, "I can see Russia from my backyard." That was Tina Fey who thought she could see Russia from her backyard. They just look a little bit alike, and I wanted to clear that up.

Here's the thing: Once Sarah Palin became running mate to McCain, many more people got interested. The Repub establishment started working on Sarah Palin, trying to have her answer the way THEY wanted, and it just was not who she was. She did not have the verbal issues you described when she spoke from the heart. Her difficulty was trying to be someone else, and not being the type of person who can pull that off. It didn't last long, but that is what people remember. That, and the clothes they chose for her (bought for her,) hound her like a following sea.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They both want what is best, they just have different views on what that is and how to get there.
There are times I really think we are more on the same track. If we all can shun that Establishment bunch (Dem's and Repub's) and get down to brass tacks - things that really work - we would have less disagreement, and more movement toward things that make a difference. If we stop trying to tow any party line, we would see that most everyone lives their life in a similar manner. If you work to feed your family, and pay the bills on time, if you are dedicated to things like Wife and Children, go to work on the set schedule (or did when in the work-a-day world,) Dem's and Repub's are more alike than it sometimes seems.

We certainly would have a better time of it discussing things. I like how you said this, and think that if those of us who do as you say, desire the best for the nation, would weed out the politicians than make us both look bad, we would get along well. It has been said by a number of people (I stated it, and it was said to me recently) that people in foreign countries, out in the countryside, and away from the cookie-cutter types, if we got to know them, likely are genuine and hard working just as those in similar situations in our country. It is these Establishment types and governments that generally foment the wars.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0