Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Why do I care what Germans think about American free speech? I'm British living in France, and I don't care about American free speech either. In Europe we treat free speech more maturely, and don't allow people to use it as an excuse for making others feel intimidated and threatened. I'm absolutely fine with this.

And hey, you think I'm anti-muslim? I consider Germany an enemy several orders of magnitude greater than Iran.

I don't want war with Iran. Germany, well...not yet.

Well.. that's pretty bizarre. I don't consider Iran to be an enemy anyway, but anyone feeling threatened by Germany of all countries, really needs to book some therapy time.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Bio-Luminescent Billy

Mar 8, 2018
Michigan
✟2,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well.. that's pretty bizarre. I don't consider Iran to be an enemy anyway, but anyone feeling threatened by Germany of all countries, really needs to book some therapy time.

Ok. Do you think the German government, under guise of the EU, should be able to leverage fines against this website, presumably owned by an American, for speech made on this platform, by Americans, that falls afoul of German speech laws?

Because that's what's happening to Google, Facebook, Twitter, and other international American based tech firms.

This site doesn't fall into that law because it's under 1 million users. But after that, they may have to chose whether to align CF speech code to EU hate speech laws, or just not be in those countries.

And you like this?

German Speech Laws.
German Speech Laws.
German. Speech. Laws.

How? How on one hand can you cry about Nazi's and be perfectly fine the same People, same society, same country that gave us the real deal, using their status within the EU to dictate what ideas can and can not be expressed, can or can not be heard, by not just those within Germany, but within the EU and Anglosphere, under penalty of prison or comically absurd fines?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Adjust and adapt to the newer times and circumstances.

My problem with the "liberal" side isn't even so much in their position - in and of itself. It's the lack of willingness to call it what it actually is. If they support what amounts to an open border, then have the courage to call it that and defend your position on it's own merits. It's this mealy mouthed stuff that irks me. Convince me why having an open border might be a good idea.

And along with the idea of "it isn't 1900 any more", I agree. Maybe birthright citizenship needs to go away, too. Back in those days it made sense - because of the tom-foolery people were engaging in when it came to handle the citizenship of ex slaves. Granting birthright citizenship made sense at that point to put an end to that debate.

But nowadays - it doesn't make the same kind of sense. Join the majority of the rest of the modern world - where citizenship follows that of the parents. That would be an adjustment to modern times that I could get on board with.

We actually have parent based citizenship as well...if a child is born to U.S. parents (or even one parent I think) in Germany for example, that child is still a U.S. citizen.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ok. Do you think the German government, under guise of the EU, should be able to leverage fines against this website, presumably owned by an American, for speech made on this platform, by Americans, that falls afoul of German speech laws?

Because that's what's happening to Google, Facebook, Twitter, and other international American based tech firms.

This site doesn't fall into that law because it's under 1 million users. But after that, they may have to chose whether to align CF speech code to EU hate speech laws, or just not be in those countries.

So in other words, not small websites like this at all, just major content platforms that choose to operate within Germany too? And you think it’s unreasonable that they should have to comply with German law?

How? How on one hand can you cry about Nazi's and be perfectly fine the same People, same society, same country that gave us the real deal, using their status within the EU to dictate what ideas can and can not be expressed, can or can not be heard, by not just those within Germany, but within the EU and Anglosphere, under penalty of prison or comically absurd fines?

Why do you seem to struggle so much with something that’s a fairly simple concept? In Europe we don’t want your extreme version of free speech any more than we want your ridiculous gun laws. Your version of ‘rights’ are meaningless to us, because we have our own that in many ways do a lot more to protect the rights of normal people than your constitution does. We don’t try and tell you to change your speech laws, and we’re most certainly not going to listen when you tell us we should. Europe and the US are very different cultures, and we’re extremely happy that is the case.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We actually have parent based citizenship as well...if a child is born to U.S. parents (or even one parent I think) in Germany for example, that child is still a U.S. citizen.
That’s true - although it really only exists to ensure that we grant American citizenship to children of American citizens born abroad. Not really what I was getting at though.

Upvote 0

Bio-Luminescent Billy

Mar 8, 2018
Michigan
✟2,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why do you seem to struggle so much with something that’s a fairly simple concept? In Europe we don’t want your extreme version of free speech any more than we want your ridiculous gun laws. Your version of ‘rights’ are meaningless to us, because we have our own that in many ways do a lot more to protect the rights of normal people than your constitution does. We don’t try and tell you to change your speech laws, and we’re most certainly not going to listen when you tell us we should. Europe and the US are very different cultures, and we’re extremely happy that is the case.

Except they are effecting speech made by Americans. The problem is your laws are affecting our speech. America simply needs a law that doesn't allow any tech firm that censors political content, in keeping with our 1st Amendment, to operate within American jurisdiction.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Except they are effecting speech made by Americans. The problem is your laws are affecting our speech. America simply needs a law that doesn't allow any tech firm that censors political content, in keeping with our 1st Amendment, to operate within American jurisdiction.
no they are not. its just that if your companies online or offline wish to operate abroad you must obey the law, be it German, English etc. rule of law and all that.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
remember American law regarding free speech ends at the borders of thr usa.

• Winner
Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That’s true - although it really only exists to ensure that we grant American citizenship to children of American citizens born abroad. Not really what I was getting at though.

You think birthright citizenship should end altogether?

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You think birthright citizenship should end altogether?
Pretty much, yeah. Your citizenship follows that of your parentage. If you have one American citizen as a parent, you are granted American citizenship at birth. Apart from that - the only other way to gain American citizenship is to go through the naturalization process/be granted citizenship. No more granting citizenship by geographical happenstance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Pretty much, yeah. Your citizenship follows that of your parentage. If you have one American citizen as a parent, you are granted American citizenship at birth. Apart from that - the only other way to gain American citizenship is to go through the naturalization process/be granted citizenship. No more granting citizenship by geographical happenstance.

Ehhh...I can understand the argument for it...but I think the problems it causes could easily be fixed without changing birth locations citizenship. If we were to restrict welfare from being filed by anyone younger than 10 for example...and stop allowing parents from using their minor children to stay in the U.S. without going through proper immigration channels...then we've effectively stopped the two main reasons illegals come here to have children.

Upvote 0