Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reason I'm posting this is because someone here on site said that no Democrat ever wanted open borders. That is not the truth here we are in Hillary's own words.

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah - immigration tends to be one area I side with the GOP on. For all intents and purposes Dems advocate for an open border but lack the courage to actually say it.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders, some time in the future with energy that is as green and sustainable as we can get it, powering growth and opportunity for every person in the hemisphere.
- Hillary Clinton

The above was considered by most of the right to be smoking gun proof that she wanted to basically dismantle America's border and welcome in everybody. She denied that was the case.

She later claimed the above referred to some kind of silly energy policy. She also denied supporting the Keystone pipeline... so did she support the pipeline? Or not? If the above is a comment on energy policy, that means she had to support the Keystone pipeline or something similar, right?

Frankly, she probably meant "open borders" as far as immigration is concerned since nobody uses that term as anything other than immigration policy. But even if she was telling the truth about that being about energy policy, that means she was still lying.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, I argue this one with my liberal friends, and they take that same stance Bob was mentioning. "We don't support open borders."

Really?

Well, do you think we ought try to find illegal immigrants?
No.
Do you think anything ought happen to them if we find them? Ought we deport them?
No.
Ought there be any consequence at all for being here illegally?
No.

Well, what's the effective difference then between your stance and an open border? If we allow people to flow through unchecked, and have no penalty for it, how is that not an open border policy? lol

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And then you get the torrent of stupid memes that come out around Thanksgiving every year, showing American Indians being nice to Pilgrims...with the message being "Maybe we should learn something from how they treated white people!"

Historical inaccuracies aside - let's say that was 100% true. Are you really going to use American Indians, a group of people nearly wiped to a point of extinction due to the consequences of unchecked immigration, as an example of how we ought embrace unchecked immigration? Do you really think there's an American Indian running around today that doesn't think to himself "Hey ancestor, you should've done a better job of kicking those people out"? lol

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It isn't 1900

All the more reason for the United States to tighten their borders up. Otherwise half the world would move here. Then what would we do?

South America and Mexico if we had open borders would flood the United States with people from down south.

Just think of the amount of Chinese and Russians that would come here if we had open border policy.

Dating sites are flooded with women around the world that want to marry an American just so they can come to America. It ain't always about love.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It isn't 1900 anymore and there is nothing wrong with a country adjusting their immigration policies. Most advanced nations do adjust, as circumstances change.

I agree. Adjust and adapt to the newer times and circumstances.

My problem with the "liberal" side isn't even so much in their position - in and of itself. It's the lack of willingness to call it what it actually is. If they support what amounts to an open border, then have the courage to call it that and defend your position on it's own merits. It's this mealy mouthed stuff that irks me. Convince me why having an open border might be a good idea.

And along with the idea of "it isn't 1900 any more", I agree. Maybe birthright citizenship needs to go away, too. Back in those days it made sense - because of the tom-foolery people were engaging in when it came to handle the citizenship of ex slaves. Granting birthright citizenship made sense at that point to put an end to that debate.

But nowadays - it doesn't make the same kind of sense. Join the majority of the rest of the modern world - where citizenship follows that of the parents. That would be an adjustment to modern times that I could get on board with.

• Informative
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

Bio-Luminescent Billy

Mar 8, 2018
Michigan
✟2,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Plus, the left love the leader of the 4th Reich, Angela Merkel, and her open border policy. They even want to force migration on the few countries smart enough to reject her pathological German guilt.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Bio-Luminescent Billy

Mar 8, 2018
Michigan
✟2,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It isn't 1900 anymore and there is nothing wrong with a country adjusting their immigration policies. Most advanced nations do adjust, as circumstances change.

Meaning...?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Reason I'm posting this is because someone here on site said that no Democrat ever wanted open borders. That is not the truth here we are in Hillary's own words.

Hillary has flip flopped so many times on so many issues, who knows what she really thinks about anything. She strikes me as a person with few convictions, with most of them up for bid.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree. Adjust and adapt to the newer times and circumstances.

My problem with the "liberal" side isn't even so much in their position - in and of itself. It's the lack of willingness to call it what it actually is. If they support what amounts to an open border, then have the courage to call it that and defend your position on it's own merits. It's this mealy mouthed stuff that irks me. Convince me why having an open border might be a good idea.

And along with the idea of "it isn't 1900 any more", I agree. Maybe birthright citizenship needs to go away, too. Back in those days it made sense - because of the tom-foolery people were engaging in when it came to handle the citizenship of ex slaves. Granting birthright citizenship made sense at that point to put an end to that debate.

But nowadays - it doesn't make the same kind of sense. Join the majority of the rest of the modern world - where citizenship follows that of the parents. That would be an adjustment to modern times that I could get on board with.

What I get tired of; is the folks that appeal to emotion and state the United States was founded on immigrants and the massive influx from over 100 years ago. That's all cool, but the world changes and circumstances within nations change.

The gun control debate is similar. I see no problem with tightening gun control laws either, because it also isn't 1900 any longer.

Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hillary has flip flopped so many times on so many issues, who knows what she really thinks about anything. She strikes me as a person with few convictions, with most of them up for bid.

IMO, behind the curtain, Clinton is an elitist and I would bet, she has no problem with tightening immigration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Historical inaccuracies aside - let's say that was 100% true. Are you really going to use American Indians, a group of people nearly wiped to a point of extinction due to the consequences of unchecked immigration, as an example of how we ought embrace unchecked immigration?
:handok: My thoughts exactly. The people using that argument must want us to get wiped out.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

We obviously don't need to argue her policy positions now as they are irrelevant but I just have to note that she was talking about a sort of dream she has for the future and not any official policy put forth by her or the Democrats. I understand though, how hearing her merely say the words "open borders" would send the right into a frenzy regardless of what she could have meant by it.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Plus, the left love the leader of the 4th Reich, Angela Merkel, and her open border policy.

I think you should learn what words actually mean before you try and use them. Unless you can find some absolutely mindbending explanation for how Germany opening her borders to those in need somehow constitutes an attempt at building an empire.

Also maybe choose a day when you weren't defending neo-nazis before you start trying to come out with this stuff.

Reactions: Snappy1
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
We obviously don't need to argue her policy positions now as they are irrelevant but I just have to note that she was talking about a sort of dream she has for the future and not any official policy put forth by her or the Democrats. I understand though, how hearing her merely say the words "open borders" would send the right into a frenzy regardless of what she could have meant by it.
Did she not have an official position, then? Or one that opposed open borders? If not, it's not unfair to take her "dream for the future" as her current position, and assume that her policies would reflect it.

Upvote 0