High school wrestler forfeits state tournament matches, saying it’s not ‘appropriate’ to wrestle a y

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
High school wrestler forfeits state tournament matches, saying it’s not ‘appropriate’ to wrestle a young lady

March 4, 2019, LifeSiteNews — A Colorado teen chose to forfeit two state tournament matches because his Christian religious convictions led him to conclude it would not be right to wrestle a girl.

“It’s so physical ... physically close,” 18-year-old Brendan Johnston told Denver’s KDVR. “I don’t think that’s really appropriate with a young lady.”

“It’s also very aggressive and I’m not really, I guess, comfortable with that,” added Johnston, a senior at the Classical Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Johnson had been slated to wrestle Jaslynn Gallegos, a Skyview High senior in the first round of a state tournament in February. Then when he was offered a third-round consolation matchup with a second girl, Valley High junior Angel Rios, Johnson again demurred.

“I don't want to treat a young lady like that on the mat. Or off the mat. And not to disrespect the heart or the effort that she's put in. That's not what I want to do, either,” Johnston told The Denver Post. “Wrestling is something we do, it's not who we are. And there are more important things to me than my wrestling. And I'm willing to have those priorities.”

More at link: High school wrestler forfeits state tournament matches, saying it’s not ‘appropriate’ to wrestle a young lady

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Good for him, standing by his convictions! If that's how he feels then by all means we should be supportive of that and understanding, as I believe The Holy Spirit and JESUS would want us to be.

On a side note it kind of reminds me of that athlete who chose not to participate in the Olympics on Sunday because it went against his believe that Sunday was a day of worship and rest. Anyways not to side-track, this is pretty cool to read about thanks for sharing this post.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to see men and women can no longer have their separate teams and sports when they want to. I can understand most men would be uncomfortable wrestling with a woman (or teens in this case), especially in front of a crowd. I don't blame him.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
God bless Brendan. May God's blessings chase him down and overcome him and may God open doors of favor for him.

Amen.

"And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God." ~Deut 28:2

Upvote 0