LDS High-ranking Mormon leader excommunicated

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What is WRONG is stating that there are three gods in the Godhead and that Joseph Smith saw two of them!
There is nothing wrong with this. You have God the Father, God the Son, and God the HS and these 3 Gods make up the 1 Godhead. You can call Them Persons if you wish, I think you are just fooling yourselves, but go ahead.

JS saw 2 of them and was filled by the HS in order to see God and live, like Jacob, Moses, Elijah, David, Solomon, Daniel, Stephen, John, etc., etc., etc..

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
dzheremi says:
The plant that springs from the root is something distinct from that whence it grows up; and yet it is of one nature with it. And the river which flows from the fountain is something distinct from the fountain. For we cannot call either the river a fountain, or the fountain a river. Nevertheless we allow that they are both one according to nature, and also one in substance; and we admit that the fountain may be conceived of as father, and that the river is what is begotten of the fountain.

-- HH St. Dionysius of Alexandria (d. 265), Of the One Substance
These are the words of Dionysius, an Egyptian of Alexandria 265ad.

Now listen to the words of Jesus, an Israelite of Jerusalem 30ad.
John 15:1King James Version (KJV)
1 I (Jesus)am the true vine, and my Father (God the Father) is the husbandman.
(my parenthesis)
Is that different from what a Hellenized Egyptian says about God and Jesus, 235 years from the time Jesus lived?

Jesus makes it very plain and clear. In this parable, Jesus is like the vine. God, his Father is like the husbandman. If you cannot see that separation between a vine and the man that works the vine, then you are as Hellenized as Dionysius.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting that you believe in both the Apostles creed and the Nicene creed?

They are so different. The Apostles creed is straight forward except for the Catholic church thing. I can believe in the Apostles creed.

But then the Nicene creed comes along 250 years later and adds a lot of unbiblical veriage (primarily to kill Arianism) and goes way overboard by stating things like 'begotten from the Father before all ages'. What scripture says this?
And 'of the same essence as the Father'. What scripture says this?

So way different creeds.
Interesting that you can accept the Apostles Creed, given that all creeds were a supposed "abomination".

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus meant the end of the apostlolic age, which was around 120ad.
No he didn't. You have to change the meaning of the original language for that to even come close to being true. Even then, not surprisingly, you have no Biblical text to support such an assertion.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Always, eternity, perpituity - since that's what aiōn actually means.
If that is what aion actually means, it doesn't matter because Jesus says,
'the end of 'the' age'. That is not like saying, 'the end of ages', no it says,
'the end of the age'. So what age is Jesus talking about, because it is not like all the way to the end of all ages. It is to the end of 'the' age.

The age they were in, was the age of Jesus Christ and the apostles, the first century age. This particular age lasted until about 120ad when the last apostle was killed. So of course Jesus would be with them until the last one was killed, which corresponded to the 'end of the age' in the scripture.

Turns out, Jesus was not a liar. There was just a misunderstanding of the scripture.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I said I can believe in the apostles creed accept for the Catholic thing. That is the problem.
Not "Catholic" with a capital "C". Small "c" catholic, as in universal Christian church as a whole, comprised of all the saints and believers.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know how you can interpret 'till the end of the age', to mean 'till the end of all ages'. That misinterpretation is only on your part.
You are grasping at straws. Even the official lds Bible version - the KJV - says:

I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Matthew 28

Did the world end in 120AD, as you claim this verse to mean? Either Jesus was lying, or you have your theology wrong. Which is it?

• Winner
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No it was born into a Jewish world and those men spoke Aramaic.

You know, it's kind of hard to get too excited about reading the rest of your very long post when the very first sentence shows that you don't understand what I wrote. The ethnic Syrians were Aramaic speakers not any less than the Jews were (who do you think the Jews adopted it from?), and obviously seeing as the Apostles themselves quoted most often directly from the LXX (and preached to the Greeks directly as St. Paul did, and to the Greeks and Hellenized Egyptians at Alexandria as St. Mark did), and translated Christ's Aramaic sayings from the cross, we can say with a fair bit of certainty that they were Hellenized Aramaic-speaking Jews. (That's the whole reason why there's an Aramaic-primacy argument to be made for the NT, as far as I understand it; those people believe that the NT, or at least the Gospels, would've been written originally in Aramaic and then translated into Greek, as opposed to the opinion that they were originally written in Greek.)

So what you have written here does not contradict what I wrote.

When Nathanael first spoke to Jesus he said 'Rabbi, thou art the Son of El; thou art the King of Israel.' Now when John got around to writing it down it was written in Greek. They did speak their own style of Greek mixed with Aramaic something like Old English compared to a southern draw.

What? Aramaic and Greek are comparable to Old English and Modern Southern American English? No. Aramaic is a Semitic language, and Greek its own branch of the Indo-European family of languages. So that's not the case at all

The first layer of apologetic writing is the New Testament itself;

Luke 1
1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

In all their writings their is no hint of an immaterial substance.

What does this have to do with the introduction to Luke?

The homoousian reality of the Holy Trinity is all over the Bible, both Old and New Testaments. It doesn't matter if it's not in any particular passage you might choose, as the Bible concerns itself with more than just this point. And yet that this in there is not really disputed by anyone but the self-interested, such as those of your religion and other non-Christian religions, so if these type of people cannot see "And the Word was with God, and the Word was God" as being an explicit affirmation of the fact that God the Word is of the same substance as the Father from Whom He is sent, then there really isn't anything to say. The fact that you don't like what you dismiss as a corrupting Greek philosophical concept is of no relevance at all. It's still there, regardless of anyone's reaction to it.

I'm trying to not be blunt so as to hopefully make my words more easy to receive, but really, if you're going to be throwing verses around in an attempt to prove this or that, then you ought to remember that the same Gospel of St. Luke which you are picking from testifies that Christ is the Son of God (1:35), and Lord (1:43), and God (4:12, which is from the mouth of Jesus Christ our God Himself).

It is clear enough that from the beginning people have made this association between Jesus and the Father, as Jesus Himself did. So to be anti-Trinitarian is a struggle against the scriptures and the witness of the Church from even well before the canonization of the scriptures.

I'm taking this next part from a book called How Creek Philosophy Corrupted the Christian Concept of God, by Hopkins. I'm just giving the general ideas with a few short quotes sprinkled in.

I've never heard of that book, but since we're talking about our reading lists, I'm reading a book called the Holy Bible, written by the Church; I'm reading a book called That Christ is One, written by the Church; I'm reading a book called On the Incarnation of the Word, written by the Church; I'm reading a book called On the Trinity, written by the Church; I'm reading a book called Against Heresies, written by the Church; I'm reading a book called Against the Arians, written by the Church.

All of 'my' books, which make up just a tiny sliver of the inheritance of all Christians everywhere, testify to the reality of what the Church actually believes, and has always believed. A random person's interpretation of that same history and writings is at best mildly interesting, but it does not overturn in any way what is established.

Even in the first generation writings there is no concept of a 'substance' and God the Father is separate from the Son. Polycrap writing between 107 and before 150 completely separates them; "....Who shall believe in our Lord Jesus Christ, and in His Father, who raised Him from the dead"

What? I'm sorry, but do you think Trinitarians do not preserve the distinction between the Father and the Son as Persons? That's the only way I can imagine that you could possibly think that St. Polycarp is in any way disproving or writing against the belief of the Church, which would be weird for him to do, seeing as how he is a recognized saint in every communion. Of course we believe in our Lord Jesus Christ, and in His Father who raised Him from the dead.

Besides, the same St. Polycarp of Smyrna wrote in the very same letter that Jesus Christ is "our Lord and God" (see 12:2), so it's really weird to see his pure words twisted in this fashion, as though he is making the opposite point when he clearly is not.

There is another writing by an unknown author but written around 130 ad, he claims he was a disciple of the apostle. He writes "As a King sends his son, who is also king, so sent He Him; as God" (Epistle to Diognetus).

I quoted that epistle last month, even highlighting that very phrase, so I am not unaware of it.

He understand the principle of a King and His Prince and allows for the Son to be called God without violating the authority of the Father.

Again, I'm not sure where this is coming from. Who is "violating the authority of the Father"? Your ideas about what Trinitarianism apparently entails are not what it actually entails.

About 160ad those in Rome began calling the Christians atheist and it seems as if the apologist began trying to defend Christianity by framing it within the Hellenistic or metaphysical terminology

Do you have any evidence for this claim, or is this a claim that the guy you are summarizing is making himself, based on...something?

Nobody needs "Hellenistic or metaphorical terminology" to defend anything, so that sounds pretty ridiculous on its face. Not only are there entire traditions of Christianity that are very consciously non-Hellenized (the Church of the East; in a certain way, the Coptic Orthodox Church following the example of men like St. Shenouda the Archimandrite, and the rest of the OO communion which did not follow the imperial way of being Christian after the Council of Chalcedon; etc.), but it bears repeating, writ large, that Christ is not metaphorically the Son of God, our God -- He is actually the Son of God, light from light, true God from true God.

It is Justin who first starts using words which are unbiblical he calls the Father "unbegotten", no where in the Bible is the word used.

Is this a real objection? It strikes me as very silly, as though the Bible is not already full of uses of the term "begotten", such that adding the negative prefix makes it something strange and un-Biblical. Why would that be the case?

Besides, it is not right to criticize St. Justin for calling the Father unbegotten. It is a true statement. The Father is unbegotten, and anyone who believes otherwise is wrong and needs some remedial theology courses, stat.

How about this: If the Father is begotten, as you'd apparently have it, then why don't you show where the Bible specifically says that He is, since that is apparently your standard? (By virtue of calling the absence of the word unbegotten un-Biblical, as though this is a synonym for incorrect.)

I don't believe that you will find such a passage.

Tatian presence a Hellenize view of God, "God is spirit, not pervading matter...".

Well, then...I guess we know what sort of thing got him into St. Irenaeus' Against Heresies, then!

Seriously, so what. If you have some kind of argument to make, then make it. It has already been shown to you above how your presuppositions regarding St. Polycarp, who is even earlier than Tatian, were wrong, so why should your understanding of Tatian be assumed to be faultless because you're basing it on what some guy said in a book you are reading? Have you read his full address to the Greeks from which the quoted clause comes? I have, but it's beside the point if you're unwilling to deal with the sources as they are.

Melito writing in 172 ad really starts using Greek wording and metaphysical terms. "There 'is' that which really exists and is called God....He changeth not, while everything else changes .... no eye can see him nor thought apprehend Him, nor language describe Him....", However he still separates the Father and Son; "...This is He who made the heaven and the earth and in the beginning together with the Father, fashioned man..."

Lord save me from lashing in anger at seeing this repeated...

For the second and hopefully last time, every Trinitarian Christian distinguishes between the Father and the Son. The Father and the Son are not the same Person/hypostasis. They are of the same essence/homoousios, but they are not the same Person.

I honestly do not understand why you keep writing as though things are otherwise, but I really wish you'd stop.

In 177 ad Athenagoras goes all out and fully express God as any good platonistic Greek mind would;

But unto us, who distinguish God from matter and teach that matter is one thing and God another..."

Yes, God is not matter... :scratch:

It would probably help in the future if you would cite your sources. I found the reference myself (it is from his Plea for the Christians), this way anyone who wants to read it can do so in context. In context, he is making the point that unlike those who truly say that there is no God (actual atheists), we only say that there is but ONE God, which is not atheism. Could he have done so without recourse to Platonism? I suppose so, but that appears to have been in his background, and moreover the background of those to whom he was primarily addressing his plea ("To the Emperors Marcus Aurelius Antoninus and Lucius Aurelius Commodus, conquerors of Armenia and Sarmatia, and more than all, philosophers"). So it makes sense that it would be there.

I mean, really now...when St. Paul says that to the Greeks, he became a Greek, I will presume you have no problem with it, because that's in the Biblical text itself (so it in no way can be called "un-Biblical"). But then an actual Greek, who was a philosopher and apparently still styled himself as one even after his conversion, writes a plea for the Christians that includes philosophical ideas you don't like (for reasons you don't explain, other than that they are Greek), and that's supposed to mean that Christianity is 'corrupted'? Why? Can you please explain why?

He goes on from there incorporating more and more of Plato's metaphysical ideas. After that it's all down hill and the true Biblical God is lost in Greek Philosophy.

Does it really? Athenagoras' plea does that all by itself because he incorporates Platonism? How does it do that? And why should I care when there are plenty of early witnesses to rely on? I don't even know if Athenagoras is a recognized saint in my Church or not (it wouldn't surprise me to find that he is, but then it likewise wouldn't surprise me to find that he isn't; there are I'm sure many saints I don't know about just because I have yet to come across them in our literature), but regardless, that kind of talk is not very common in my own tradition. We are at best semi-Hellenized, and that's by virtue of the long presence of the Greeks in Egypt, not by any kind of 'corruption' of the Church by Hellenism. (Read: there were Hellenized Egyptians for hundreds of years before the advent of Christianity in Egypt in the first century.) The majority of Egyptian Christians there have ever been were converted from Egyptian paganism, which of course shares similarities with Greek paganism (I think some of the gods were the same, but with different names), but was itself ultimately a distinct form of religion.

I think you need to stop reading this guy's book until you are willing to deal with the sources themselves, because you're getting a view that is tailor-made to prove his thesis, rather than reading the primary sources and coming to your own conclusions about them, perhaps with this guy's book as one of many sources to consult for a critical appraisal of the saint or the piece of writing.

So when you start quoting someone from 300 ad I'm not impressed, he's just building upon non Biblical ideas getting further and further away the true God of the Bible.

It's not about what impresses you or I, as though the one who has the most impressive philosophy or whatever therefore has the truth. It's just a matter of fact from the preserved tradition of the Church from the beginning (and keep in mind, I really do mean the beginning: the range of dates in which St. Mark, our apostle, is said to have come to Egypt is around 42 to 51 AD -- so, long before any of the people you or I have brought up), there has been one faith that has not changed. So I'm unmoved, not because the case cannot be made that Greek philosophical ideas came into Christianity (I would positively affirm that they did, so long as they may be aides to understanding revelation within their proper sphere, not mistaken for revelation themselves; see this thread for some discussion of the difference), but because just showing examples of how or where that happened isn't itself an argument for why it's bad or corrupting that they appear in this or that piece of writing.

This is not something to be impressed by as in philosophical matters, but to submit to, because this is the faith of the Church, and always has been, and always will be. I myself am less inclined to philosophical talk, because the prayers of the Church are what matter. They are its faith, the faith that its people live. And I suppose (or I have been told, anyway) that my own Church's tradition is somewhat lacking in philosophical complexity. I'm not sure I buy it, but that's what some say (primarily Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, in my experience, though I guess they're right if they mean that we have less to affirm than they do, as we only accept as binding 3 ecumenical councils, while they accept 7).

To that end, here is the faith of the Church, as taken from the Agpeya (Coptic book of hourly prayers for every day use):

One is God the Father of everyone.

One is His Son, Jesus Christ the Word, Who took flesh and died; and rose from the dead on the third day, and raised us with Him.

One is the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, one in His Hypostasis, proceeding from the Father, purifying the whole creation, and teaching us to worship the Holy Trinity, one in divinity and one in essence. We praise Him and bless Him forever. Amen.

+++

Is this "Greek philosophy" in action? I don't think so. Yes, we received some of these technical terms from Greek, as some of our fathers wrote in Greek (e.g., HH St. Athanasius the Apostolic, HH St. Cyril, etc.), as Egypt was a semi-Hellenized country, and Alexandria a Hellenic city. So what? The truth is there, even if we did not have this word "essence" (we could just as easily use substance, as the Latins do, but we are not Latins; it means the same thing).

So I'm having trouble seeing how this is not ultimately a linguistic argument. Though it seems that you mean the philosophical traditions themselves, it's essentially impossible to separate them from the words they use, no matter what language we're looking at.

In that case, you should be a Syriac Christian, not a Mormon, as this is the closest to the (semi-)Hellenized cultural background of the first century Jewish world in which our Lord and His apostles lived, supposedly free from the 'corruption' of Greek philosophy. Something tells me that you will not do that, so I have to wonder if this is not really about 'Greek philosophy' at all, but about something else...

These people are Syriac Christians (Orthodox), worshiping in Syriac (a language form developed from Aramaic that was spoken around Edessa, the capital of Osroene, which legend tells us was the first Christian kingdom following the conversion of King Abgar V; there is also a bit of Arabic for the first ~20 seconds or so, since this is in Jerusalem), according to the Liturgy of St. James, the brother of the Lord, which is the earliest extant Christian liturgy, dating back in its core form to the first century Church of Jerusalem. If anyone can be said to be free of 'Greek philosophy', it would probably be these people, as the Syriac tradition was at least partially removed from the Byzantine Empire (as were some of the Armenians, both within the Persian Empire; there were also Syriac Christians in India since 52 AD). And yet they affirm the same basic faith as any other group of Christians, because that's just what Christianity is, whether it's in this language or that language, or following this philosophical tradition or not (e.g., Alexandria, Edessa, Antioch, Rome, etc.).

• Informative
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Not "Catholic" with a capital "C". Small "c" catholic, as in universal Christian church as a whole, comprised of all the saints and believers.
Apparently, there are other versions. The version I read had a capital Catholic.
But for the most part I believe these things.

It does say, God's only son, which should say, God's only begotten son, because LDS believe that God had many spirit sons and daughters, but only 1 begotten son in the flesh, and that is Jesus.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, there are other versions. The version I read had a capital Catholic.
But for the most part I believe these things.
Wikipedia has both the Latin and Greek versions, along with references and links to other versions. Even the Roman Catholic Church version has a small 'c'.
Apostles' Creed - Wikipedia

It does say, God's only son, which should say, God's only begotten son, because LDS believe that God had many spirit sons and daughters, but only 1 begotten son in the flesh, and that is Jesus.
Which is one of the many doctrinal errors of the lds church. And don't forget heavenly Mom!

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You are grasping at straws. Even the official lds Bible version - the KJV - says:

I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Matthew 28

Did the world end in 120AD, as you claim this verse to mean? Either Jesus was lying, or you have your theology wrong. Which is it?

Either Jesus was lying or someone got a translation wrong, because the one you have been using said 'the end of the age', which ended in 120ad.

I wondered when you would switch translations. You see, it is really true that you can prove any doctrine that you want by using the hundreds of translations and going back to the Greek and Latin and Aramaic. So using your logic, Jesus must have lied in your first translation, but did not lie in the KJV, or is it the opposite?

So what LDS rely on is current revelation from Jesus Christ. That is the most safe and sound doctrinal foundation that exists. We don't count on the different stories of the hundreds of translations and foreign and dead languages for our doctrinal knowledge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Wikipedia has both the Latin and Greek versions, along with references and links to other versions. Even the Roman Catholic Church version has a small 'c'.
Apostles' Creed - Wikipedia

Which is one of the many doctrinal errors of the lds church. And don't forget heavenly Mom!
It was a Catholic website that I read the Apostles creed from and they capitalized Catholic. It really doesn't matter because from about 175ad the entire 'catholic' church was starting to move in the wrong direction.

Our doctrine is based on current revelation from Jesus Christ. I do like to tie it as much as I can to the Bible and the BOM. The Bible has more references to the pre earth life than the BOM does, so I use the KJV when I show people this doctrine.

I don't forget my Heavenly Mother, but as my Heavenly Father, I also keep her safely in the background, and secure in her knowledge, but not in the spotlight for sectarian and ignorant persons to abuse.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Either Jesus was lying or someone got a translation wrong, because the one you have been using said 'the end of the age', which ended in 120ad.

True. That someone is you. Regardless of "end of the age" or "end of the world", the original Greek means the same thing...
Always, eternity, perpituity - since that's what aiōn actually means.
... and your 120AD date has no supporting evidence to back you up. Jesus never said what you what him to say, and that's bad theology.

I wondered when you would switch translations. You see, it is really true that you can prove any doctrine that you want by using the hundreds of translations and going back to the Greek and Latin and Aramaic. So using your logic, Jesus must have lied in your first translation, but did not lie in the KJV, or is it the opposite?
Strawman.

So what LDS rely on is current revelation from Jesus Christ. That is the most safe and sound doctrinal foundation that exists. We don't count on the different stories of the hundreds of translations and foreign and dead languages for our doctrinal knowledge.
Except you don't. You rely on a made up number and disregard what the text actually says.

"dead languages"??? Now that's funny coming from a religion that relies on a non-existent language for a couple of it's doctrinal sources (BoM, BoA).

May God open your eyes to the irrationality and foolishness of your arguments so that you may see His Truth.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
True. That someone is you. Regardless of "end of the age" or "end of the world", the original Greek means the same thing...

So why did God allow the bible to be translated into English? Does He not have the power to make sure the English clearly translates the Greek perfectly, so we can have the correct meaning? I think He did. But did He need hundreds of translations into English to affect this clear and precice Greek meaning? No, that logic came from humans who think they know more than God. Therefore one says, 'end of the age' (which clearly means before the end of the world), and one says 'end of the world' (which clearly means the end of the world). Which one is it? You started with 'the end of the age', and when you saw your error, you switched to 'the end of the world'. They do not mean the same thing and if God has it right in Greek, then why do we labor in the English and err?

I think there are as many different meanings for words in the Greek as there are in English and we would run into the exact same problem in the Greek. You can prove any doctrine you wish to by going back to the Greek, easier than in English. That is why you consistently bring up the Greek.

Unfortunately we do not have any of the original Greek writings to confer with, and so are you sure all the marks have been copied perfectly and that the meaning of every Greek word is the one that the original writer meant to use. The answer is no, not by a long ways do we know that. So stop with the Greek. Our English is sufficient. If not, we are in trouble, which we are.

... and your 120AD date has no supporting evidence to back you up. Jesus never said what you what him to say, and that's bad theology.
How many apostles do you know of and can document, lived after 120ad?
That is the age of the Apostles that Jesus was talking about. Not a hard concept to get down.

Strawman.

You always use this term when you are stuck.

Except you don't. You rely on a made up number and disregard what the text actually says.

You are the one that disregarded your original translation and what that text said, when you found your error, not me.

May God open your eyes to the irrationality and foolishness of your arguments so that you may see His Truth.

Actually I appreciate your concern, and hope that God opens up both our eyes to the glory of His truth.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So why did God allow the bible to be translated into English? Does He not have the power to make sure the English clearly translates the Greek perfectly, so we can have the correct meaning? I think He did. But did He need hundreds of translations into English to affect this clear and precice Greek meaning? No, that logic came from humans who think they know more than God. Therefore one says, 'end of the age' (which clearly means before the end of the world), and one says 'end of the world' (which clearly means the end of the world). Which one is it? You started with 'the end of the age', and when you saw your error, you switched to 'the end of the world'. They do not mean the same thing and if God has it right in Greek, then why do we labor in the English and err?
Translating from one language to another is not always a straight word for word translation. You don't seem to realize that. And for some reason, you seem to think God has placed some kind of significance of the English language as equal to his Word. In this context, "age" and "world" are synonamous. Do you know what that means? You have to make a mountain out of a molehill in defense of your poor theology.

I think there are as many different meanings for words in the Greek as there are in English and we would run into the exact same problem in the Greek. You can prove any doctrine you wish to by going back to the Greek, easier than in English. That is why you consistently bring up the Greek.
If there are questions on difference of English translations, going back to the original language for understanding is a perfectly acceptable practice. Except for the lds, apparently.
Unfortunately we do not have any of the original Greek writings to confer with, and so are you sure all the marks have been copied perfectly and that the meaning of every Greek word is the one that the original writer meant to use. The answer is no, not by a long ways do we know that. So stop with the Greek. Our English is sufficient. If not, we are in trouble, which we are.
What we have are thousand of manuscripts from different areas of ancient times, all in agreement with each other on major theological concepts and doctrine. It's a process called textual criticism. Textual criticism - what is it?

If you can't accept that, then you can't accept the validity of 1/4 of the lds doctrinal texts. That would put you on sandy ground.
How many apostles do you know of and can document, lived after 120ad?
That is the age of the Apostles that Jesus was talking about. Not a hard concept to get down.
Not too difficult to see that you continue to make things up to fit your religion. Lying for the Lord is not an advisable practice.
You always use this term when you are stuck.
I use the term when you want to go down rabbit holes. I will not follow.
You are the one that disregarded your original translation and what that text said, when you found your error, not me.
The translations line up with the original text, so I don't know what your beef is. Oh wait, I do. It would mean your theology is incorrect if the translations and original text are true. Which they are. Which means your theology is not.
Actually I appreciate your concern, and hope that God opens up both our eyes to the glory of His truth.
I am always open to the Truth and being corrected. But I am wholeheartedly against religions that distort the truth and try to present their distortions as truth due to some (false) revelations their leaders claim to have had.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Translating from one language to another is not always a straight word for word translation. You don't seem to realize that. And for some reason, you seem to think God has placed some kind of significance of the English language as equal to his Word. In this context, "age" and "world" are synonamous. Do you know what that means? You have to make a mountain out of a molehill in defense of your poor theology.

If there are questions on difference of English translations, going back to the original language for understanding is a perfectly acceptable practice. Except for the lds, apparently.

What we have are thousand of manuscripts from different areas of ancient times, all in agreement with each other on major theological concepts and doctrine. It's a process called textual criticism. Textual criticism - what is it?

If you can't accept that, then you can't accept the validity of 1/4 of the lds doctrinal texts. That would put you on sandy ground.

Not too difficult to see that you continue to make things up to fit your religion. Lying for the Lord is not an advisable practice.

I use the term when you want to go down rabbit holes. I will not follow.

The translations line up with the original text, so I don't know what your beef is. Oh wait, I do. It would mean your theology is incorrect if the translations and original text are true. Which they are. Which means your theology is not.

I am always open to the Truth and being corrected. But I am wholeheartedly against religions that distort the truth and try to present their distortions as truth due to some (false) revelations their leaders claim to have had.
You have copies of copies of copies of copies of ancient texts

Upvote 0