• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

3. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  4. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  5. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  6. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

High BP and no health insurance

Discussion in 'Cardiology & Blood Pressure Issues' started by seekingmuch, Apr 27, 2018.

1. seekingmuch

seekingmuch Active Member

+258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    My BP was 165/96 and then 170/96. My general doctor refused to see me and referred me to the ER. You have to be 180/100 for the ER to consider it an emergency. So, I went to another clinic and it was 165/100. They said to monitor it and see my GP. They did diagnose a severe sinus infection. LOL Yes, I am definitely thinking---call my lawyer on the GP refusing to see me, didn't even do my BP or an EKG to see if it was emergency or not.

So, I was on Lisinopril (10mg) for years. They changed me to Amlodipine Besylate (5mg). I took two of the later yesterday morning and no change in BP. So, I figured the Amlodipine hasn't been controlling my BP for a month since I've been having Heart Palpitations and headaches (I rarely have a headache).

So, at 3pm, I took a Lisinopril and my BP dropped to 140/90 with a pulse of 61. Clearly the other drug has been doing nothing for my BP. But, this morning, my BP was 160/96 pulse 59. I vaped a little (LOL) and checked it 30 mins later and it was 151/100 pulse 71. I only took the Lisinopril at 3pm yesterday so don't know if I can take another one this soon. I don't want to bottom out my pulse or anything.

Please pray for my blood pressure. It didn't worry me yesterday, but has picqued my anxieties this morning.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. “Paisios”

“Paisios” Unworthy servant of God Supporter

+4,246
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Praying for you.

You mention that you have a sinus infection. Have you been taking any decongestants or NSAIDS (ibuprofen or naproxen)? Both of these classes of over the counter medicine can raise your blood pressure, and some of the decongestants can cause palpitations. Make sure you ask a pharmacist what is the best option for symptom relief of sinus symptoms when you have underlying high blood pressure before taking any over the counter medications...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. seekingmuch

+258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    No, the only thing I'm taking is Amoxicilian for the infection and prednisone. I don't take NSAIDs. At work, I'll take Tylenol for my back.

I've had a headache all night (from midnight to now) and pretty sure that is blood pressure.

Thank you for the prayers, Shoetoyou!

4. discipler7

discipler7 Well-Known Member

+318
    Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
    Christian
    Single
    BP measurement can be inaccurate and fluctuate, ie it depends on how tight is the arm wrap, the air pressure being pumped into the arm wrap, how long before the air pressure is released, positioning of the arm wrap, position of the arm, mental state of nervousness, etc.

Better for you to avoid Amlodipine, which is a calcium blocker = weakens the arteries, muscles, tendons and bones. Lisinopril is a vasodilator = less negative side effects.

At 140/90, there should be no need to take any HBP medicine, as long as you feel fine, eg no heart palpitations or headaches/dizziness. Destressing, exercising and eating healthy should be enough.
    ....... Best to avoid long term drugs/medicine.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  5. seekingmuch

+258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I woke up and was a little dizzy and have a headache. That's what concerns me the most. I almost fell over twice. I'm better sitting down and taking it easy. Shockingly, the vape helped my BP. LOLOLOL I remember being at the doc's office a long time ago. My BP was high. I smoked a cigarette and it dropped 20 points. LOL The odd thing is things have the opposite effect on me a lot of times.

6. discipler7

+318
    Christian
    Single
    Prednisone is a steroid = commonly used for anti-inflammation and as an anti-rejection drug by organ-transplant recipients.

For anti-inflammation use, it should not be taken for more than 3 weeks. Otherwise, will result in negative side-effects(eg hairiness), addiction/dependence and horrible withdrawal symptoms when intake is stopped = similar to drug addiction or alcoholism.

The anti-inflammation effect of steroid medicine is related to our bodies' Fight-or-Flight immune response.

7. Alpha.Omega

Alpha.Omega Active Member

+182
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I have found over the years, that most home BP monitors are very unreliable, and can cause unnecessary stress and anxiousness, which can add to any elevated BP! BP changes every minute and there are many factors that can cause the numbers to increase, like being unwell, not getting enough good sleep, worry, depression, stress, other medication, etc. 140/90 is nothing to worry about, and regarded as "normal" or "borderline" by many doctors. If the BP is always high, like 180/105+ whenever a reading is taken, this is a big problem, and a&e is required.

8. seekingmuch

+258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Alpha, it was 165/109 at the doc's office yesterday. My blood pressure monitor is one of the expensive ones. When it gets down to 140/90 I'll be happy as clams. I took another Lisinopril at 6am. At 9 it should've kicked it. :))

9. Alpha.Omega

Alpha.Omega Active Member

+182
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Hi, yes that does seem quite high. I had a reading of 175/103 about 18 months ago, and went to the hospital and was asked if I had other symptoms, like headache, chest pain, fainting, etc, and I said no, the doctor said that it is a spike, and sent me home. I am on BP medication and also have diabetes, but have an average of 120/89 over a 2 week period a month ago. I don't like a home monitor as it drives me nuts with the varied readings. Here in the UK most chemists do free BP tests, so I get monitored this way. Do you get any other symptoms when the BP is high?

10. discipler7

+318
    Christian
    Single
    Lisinopril - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses

11. Ancient of Days

Ancient of Days Well-Known Member Supporter

+751
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
  12. seekingmuch

+258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Thank you for all the advice and prayers. My BP was normal 134/84 with a pulse of 84. About normal for me. And, after taking my prednisone, my sinuses feel so much better. I've slept about 18 hours in the last two days. I'm sure that helped, too.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  13. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,304
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Another really easy BP fighter: Stevia. Just use it as "artificial" sweetener (it's natural; not artificial).

Obviously the vaping is not helping, and a brief cardio workout when your BP is high should see it quickly drop down to normal for about 4 hours.

14. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Senior Veteran

+3,219
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170910232512.htm

15. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Senior Veteran

+3,219
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    Are you a doctor? What if the OP takes your advice and has a medical emergency because of it?

16. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,304
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Lisinopril most definitely does have side effects. The cough can inhibit you from working out (which helps your BP). High blood pressure is well-known as the silent killer, so "feeling fine" is absolutely not a metric to consider.

17. seekingmuch

+258
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Thanks, everyone. I'm on 20 mgs of Lisinopril and feeling fine with a BP usually around 120/80 with a pulse in the 70s.

18. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I stopped taking Lisinopril because of the constant coughing, even when trying to sleep. BP is fine.

19. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+7,758
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I always check my home bp monitor against the one used by my doctor. They are usually pretty close.

I have also observed that the nurses that take my bp do so in a less than precise manner.