corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let's think about what makes one poor in Spirit....
["To be poor in spirit is to recognize your utter spiritual bankruptcy before God. It is understanding that you have absolutely nothing of worth to offer God. Being poor in spirit is admitting that, because of your sin, you are completely destitute spiritually and can do nothing to deliver yourself from your dire situation. Jesus is saying that, no matter your status in life, you must recognize your spiritual poverty before you can come to God in faith to receive the salvation He offers."]
Quote from What does it mean to be poor in spirit?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Let's think about what makes one poor in Spirit....

Usually it is related to chemical imbalances in the brain but it can also be linked to environmental and psychological stress. In the Bible the phrase is "poor in spirit". By capitalizing the word "Spirit" you change the meaning.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
["To be poor in spirit is to recognize your utter spiritual bankruptcy before God. It is understanding that you have absolutely nothing of worth to offer God. Being poor in spirit is admitting that, because of your sin, you are completely destitute spiritually and can do nothing to deliver yourself from your dire situation. Jesus is saying that, no matter your status in life, you must recognize your spiritual poverty before you can come to God in faith to receive the salvation He offers."]
Quote from What does it mean to be poor in spirit?
I have to agree with this....For the other answer...someone left leads toward legalism, Something you must do rather than become

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Usually it is related to chemical imbalances in the brain but it can also be linked to environmental and psychological stress. In the Bible the phrase is "poor in spirit". By capitalizing the word "Spirit" you change the meaning.
It could be any condition where you see a need for God....For this is where we find most people truly find God...when crying out to Him in desperation.....yes u are right...little "s"

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like this one, too.

7 “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.
(2 Corinthians 4:7-10).

So yes; The treasure is Jesus (indeed).
Without reading this...I would say it was the father.....for the father is in Christ...and Jesus is the source of life. When we walk in the spirit I believe we fullfill the law our body then has access to the Father for the heart is clean. So all is clean...in Christ. We do what Christ does die to the desires of our own will, or desires of the flesh that assert our will over God's.
Hidden Treasure parable.

This comes to mind:

287549_32fac0969c924dcf3c664636b25c0334.jpg

iu
I believe there are treasures in Christ found as we do His will....and come in contact with Life...its up to us to surrender all...or to seek the kingdom. And when we do...haha... we will not worry about all that matters to the world because we like life...

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Without reading this...I would say it was the father.....for the father is in Christ...and Jesus is the source of life. When we walk in the spirit I believe we fullfill the law our body then has access to the Father for the heart is clean. So all is clean...in Christ. We do what Christ does die to the desires of our own will, or desires of the flesh that assert our will over God's.

So you now agree that it is Jesus who is the peal of great price?
If so, I am glad to hear it.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I believe there are treasures in Christ found as we do His will....and come in contact with Life...its up to us to surrender all...or to seek the kingdom. And when we do...haha... we will not worry about all that matters to the world because we like life...

i was referring to this Proverbs below, Cori. When we seek God in His Word (this would include "digging" as if for a treasure-being "hungry for Him and His Word) And of course Jesus Christ is the Word, isn't He?

Amen?

God bless you Cori.

iu

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i was referring to this Proverbs below, Cori. When we seek God in His Word (this would include "digging" as if for a treasure-being "hungry for Him and His Word) And of course Jesus Christ is the Word, isn't He?

Amen?

God bless you Cori.

iu

And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

The aspect of The father coming and supping with : Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

1 Cor

But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God

2nd Corinthians 4:6, “For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

The aspect of The father coming and supping with : Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

1 Cor

But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God

2nd Corinthians 4:6, “For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”

Yes, amen.....

and...?

How are you tying what you posted to what posted, if you don't mind me asking, Cori?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well thank you for the clarification, Cori

God bless you and a blessed new year to you. :)
I cant always put together everything I see but I would not have the proper words to share it without adding my thought to where I may fall short in explanation...but the glimpse comes and goes...

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I cant always put together everything I see but I would not have the proper words to share it without adding my thought to where I may fall short in explanation...but the glimpse comes and goes...

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart
You see I sought the Lord...as the song writer said and He heard me and delivered me.....and knowing what He did for me it's just a matter of time until He moves me to surrending all to Him...in the sin He is working to burn out of me...for lack of better word.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You see I sought the Lord...as the song writer said and He heard me and delivered me.....and knowing what He did for me it's just a matter of time until He moves me to surrending all to Him...in the sin He is working to burn out of me...for lack of better word.

Well by golly, Cori that's right in sync with the Proverbs i posted, and the title of this thread, and the theme of this thread, isn't it?

Why didn't ya' say it from the gitgo, brother?

Yes, God's Word IS how we seek God, and with all our hearts, not just a cursory "glance" or a "non-digging". this verse comes to mind as well:

"I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me." ~Pr 8:17

Upvote 0

dougangel

Regular
Site Supporter
May 7, 2012
New Zealand
✟85,556.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think Willard had another view at hand.
To maybe try to put in my own words....It is because the redemptive power has come over the one poor in Spirit. Another words in the midst of what ever condition they may be in they are blessed.
But of course I'm not sure....tks for clarifying though

Matt 5
The Beatitudes
He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.

THis is my understanding of that phrase and it took a long time for me to understand that. Because as a young Christian you read that and go Does Jesus want me to be poor in spirit and to mourn.

It's in the context of be born again or realising your in sin in something and the steps to become a mature Christian.
I'm going to paraphrase this to make it clearer.

3 “fortunate are they that realise that they are poor in spirit, and need God
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 "fortunate are those who mourn, and repent from sin
for they will be comforted.

5 fortunate are the meek, who are humble themselves in this matter
for they will inherit the earth.

6 Fortunate are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, and do the right thing
for they will be filled.

and so on. IF you look at the whole things it's the steps to becoming a mature Christian or realising your going down the wrong path in something and turning from ways.

• Friendly
Reactions: corinth77777
Upvote 0