✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(1) Relationship between Love and Money Making Power
Many people wouldn't believe they are related. But are they not really?

No they are not really related. There is a relationship for some between sexual attraction and power but sexual attraction and love are two very different things.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The love of money is the root of all evil.

Fun Fact: This quote actually originated from the Bible.

The more common translation and the one believed by most to be the more accurate is
"The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. "
As there are many motivations for people to do wrong other than money I think the version that translates it as "all evil" can be assumed to be a poor one. Personally, I consider the desire for power to be the root of all evil and of course money is a form of power but certainly not the only form. For example,a rapist is not doing it for the love of money. I highly doubt that Hitler or Stalin were principally motivated by monetary gain and I am absolutely sure that a suicide bomber is not .

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The more common translation and the one believed by most to be the more accurate is
"The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. "
As there are many motivations for people to do wrong other than money I think the version that translates it as "all evil" can be assumed to be a poor one. Personally, I consider the desire for power to be the root of all evil and of course money is a form of power but certainly not the only form. For example,a rapist is not doing it for the love of money. I highly doubt that Hitler or Stalin were principally motivated by monetary gain and I am absolutely sure that a suicide bomber is not .

That was a quick breach of Godwin's law
The term used in the King James is a reference to Idolatry, placing material gain ahead of God.
Look at the context of the narrative, and you will see Christ was not referring to all kinds of evil, He was referring to the Rich young Ruler who could not forsake his wealth for God.
This is a classic example of mistranslation changing the contextual integrity of God's Word.
By reading the course of events leading up to the statement, the reader would be confused as to the reason the young man walked away.
This is a first person narrative, a multi purpose meaning cannot be logically consistent.

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was a quick breach of Godwin's law
The term used in the King James is a reference to Idolatry, placing material gain ahead of God.
Look at the context of the narrative, and you will see Christ was not referring to all kinds of evil, He was referring to the Rich young Ruler who could not forsake his wealth for God.
This is a classic example of mistranslation changing the contextual integrity of God's Word.
By reading the course of events leading up to the statement, the reader would be confused as to the reason the young man walked away.
This is a first person narrative, a multi purpose meaning cannot be logically consistent.

Godwin's law, besides being the invention of some authoritarian want to be, is an unreasonable attempt to control the arguments people can decide to use. There are surely reasonable arguments that can be made using Adolph Hitler as an extreme example or comparing Hitler's actions in any particular situation with actions that may be no less heinous.

I see nothing in your post that changes my opinion of what the phrase " the root of all kinds of evil" or "the root o fo all evil" means. A first person narrative does not make a general statement impossible. As a matter of fact, general statements are often included within first person narratives throughout all forms of communication in every culture in all of recorded history.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Godwin's law, besides being the invention of some authoritarian want to be, is an unreasonable attempt to control the arguments people can decide to use. There are surely reasonable arguments that can be made using Adolph Hitler as an extreme example or comparing Hitler's actions in any particular situation with actions that may be no less heinous.

I see nothing in your post that changes my opinion of what the phrase " the root of all kinds of evil" or "the root o fo all evil" means. A first person narrative does not make a general statement impossible. As a matter of fact, general statements are often included within first person narratives throughout all forms of communication in every culture in all of recorded history.

I understand your feeling on Godwins Law ,a bit trivial but a good observation.
Jesus was speaking about a rich man entering the kingdom of heaven ,due to his wealth being a god to him.
I really see no reason to assume the King James could be improved on by saying all kinds of evil.
Your statement was self contradiction.
First was stated the better translation was the love of money was the root of all kinds of evil.
Then you list other forms of evil and doubt Hitler and Stalin were motivated by money.
This negates the logical premises of all kinds of evil.
Never the less the context in the passage was idolatry over wealth.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
When ever you place anything ahead of God in your life,this is the root of all evil.
What else can we do to separate from God and covet evil than to abandon God for flesh.
In the context of the Rich young ruler the love of money was the root of all evil.
My point is why try to improve on God's Word when the improvement sends readers down unnessary rabbit trails.
The King James has never needed improving, but it takes discernment to see things as they are.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand your feeling on Godwins Law ,a bit trivial but a good observation.
Jesus was speaking about a rich man entering the kingdom of heaven ,due to his wealth being a god to him.
I really see no reason to assume the King James could be improved on by saying all kinds of evil.
Your statement was self contradiction.
First was stated the better translation was the love of money was the root of all kinds of evil.
Then you list other forms of evil and doubt Hitler and Stalin were motivated by money.
This negates the logical premises of all kinds of evil.
Never the less the context in the passage was idolatry over wealth.

You seem to be interpreting the meaning of "all kinds of " as somewhat equivalent to the literal "all the kinds that there are." rather than as the idiomatic " many different kinds." . In English, the idiomatic phrase " all kinds of " has a specific meaning that differs from a literal reading of the phrase. If I say "My daughter got into all kinds of trouble by being foolish at a bar last night." .
It does not mean I understand that she did every possible thing there is to do that could be considered trouble. It means she caused herself a lot of kinds of grief not all possible kinds of grief. So, when I see "money is the root of all kinds of evil" I do not consider it to mean every possible kind of evil is caused only by a love of money. I rather consider it to mean that many evils can be traced to a love of money and I do not then conclude that the love of money is the only cause of evil. As for the context, IMO Jesus is not simply making a statement about one person here, he is using the occasion of the situation encountered by that one person to teach a lesson that can be applied universally. Yes idolatry is the actual subject of the lesson and money is the particular god in this case but the lesson is not confined to this one incident.

Upvote 0