Baltimore MD
✟22,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My name is Howard and I am a strong believe in Jesus’ words and teachings. I believe what Thomas a Kempis wrote: The teaching of Christ is more excellent than all the advice of the saints, and he who has His spirit will find in it a hidden manna. I am not a very serious person, but I take the gift of life God has given me with serious gratitude and responsibility.

I was brought up Catholic and schooled under the auspices of the Christian Brothers, the Sisters of Charity, and the Sisters of Mercy. My serious Biblical studies were under the auspices of the Jesuits with whom I studied for 8 years.

I studied the New Testament in the original Greek as well as the Latin. I studied the Old Testament Greek LXX as well as in the Hebrew under the auspices if a Lubavitch rabbi.

In my later years I have become almost militant about erroneous translations and attempts to alter the meaning of words of the Holy Scriptures to fit denominational or personal agendas.

I leave you with the words of Thomas a Kempis as I try to humbly participate in this forum.

What good does it do to speak learnedly about the Trinity if, lacking humility, you displease the Trinity? Indeed it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it. For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities and all is vanity, except to love God and serve Him alone.

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My name is Howard and I am a strong believe in Jesus’ words and teachings. I believe what Thomas a Kempis wrote: The teaching of Christ is more excellent than all the advice of the saints, and he who has His spirit will find in it a hidden manna. I am not a very serious person, but I take the gift of life God has given me with serious gratitude and responsibility.

I was brought up Catholic and schooled under the auspices of the Christian Brothers, the Sisters of Charity, and the Sisters of Mercy. My serious Biblical studies were under the auspices of the Jesuits with whom I studied for 8 years.

I studied the New Testament in the original Greek as well as the Latin. I studied the Old Testament Greek LXX as well as in the Hebrew under the auspices if a Lubavitch rabbi.

In my later years I have become almost militant about erroneous translations and attempts to alter the meaning of words of the Holy Scriptures to fit denominational or personal agendas.

I leave you with the words of Thomas a Kempis as I try to humbly participate in this forum.

What good does it do to speak learnedly about the Trinity if, lacking humility, you displease the Trinity? Indeed it is not learning that makes a man holy and just, but a virtuous life makes him pleasing to God. I would rather feel contrition than know how to define it. For what would it profit us to know the whole Bible by heart and the principles of all the philosophers if we live without grace and the love of God? Vanity of vanities and all is vanity, except to love God and serve Him alone.

Welcome to CF. I'm curious which translation do you read?

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

WELCOME! I hope you find it challenging and friendly:)

Upvote 0

FatalFantasy

Jan 30, 2019
Brisbane
✟2,057.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There is no school fitting for the service of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Howard Beale

Aug 9, 2017
Baltimore MD
✟22,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to CF. I'm curious which translation do you read?

First I would like to thank everyone for the kind welcomes. I do really appreciate them

With regard to biblical translations, I find that each translation has it strengths but when there is a difference of substance among translations it requires that I search for the accurate rendering of the words.

With regard to the OT I will often confer with the LXX to see how the rabbi's of the 2-3rd centuries BC understood the Hebrew . When words of the Tanakh are cited in the Gospels they are usually in the Greek of the LXX or very closely resembling it.

Nonetheless, when I read the Holy Bible I tend to prefer the KJV for the simple reason that for me it is the version whose language best conveys the majesty and wonder of the Creator and the breathtaking love He gifts us with. We too often neglect to kneel in gratitude.

With love to all,
Howard

• Informative
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0