British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a Christian, Protestant, reformer, catholic, overcomer/conqueror, an adopted son of God, will never taste the 2nd death, saved by the Lambs precious blood, receiver of his living water, baptised by the holy ghost in his death, burial and resurrection and i've had a foretaste of the living waters on 1st May 2020 which lasted 3 days and i desire more and want everyone in this world to taste of it. I know its a foretaste of heaven and its unexplainable in words, emotions, laughter, excitement....Psalms 126 answered it for me. Its joy, blissful joy, the building of the foundations of spiritual Jerusalem.

May i ask if anyone belonging to the EO has came across Christ like this, been comforted by him with so much bliss during their time of tribulation on this Earth?

....and how would you suggest i grow stronger in Christ?

God Bless

Last edited:

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
welcome!

not to be insulting, but we would say to grow stronger in Christ, you should come home to the Church of Christ, which is the Orthodox Church.

Don't worry about me being insulted, i'm here to be corrected, lead and directed by the Holy Spirit. We all have our traditions and i'm very open minded towards Christianity, but wary of certain practices where a Pope, etc would take on the role of our great high priest Jesus Christ. i was just searching through your stickys and learning a little, but their quite lengthy in writing.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Don't worry about me being insulted, i'm here to be corrected, lead and directed by the Holy Spirit. We all have our traditions and i'm very open minded towards Christianity, but wary of certain practices where a Pope, etc would take on the role of our great high priest Jesus Christ. i was just searching through your stickys and learning a little, but their quite lengthy in writing.

within Orthodoxy, no one takes the place of Christ.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, so our viewpoint on this is not that your experience of Christ is only available through some individual or set of individuals, but rather you might consider in Luke 9 when Christ is talking about the people who were driving out demons in His name but were not with the disciples. On the one hand, we're not going to stop them (Luke 9:50). On the other, if you were that person driving out the demons, you probably really should be with the disciples of the Lord. It's a better place to be. You *can* stay where you are and we're not going to stop you, God will be the judge at the end of time, and we're not going to hang it over your head. But we teach that God worked with the disciples, that God works with the descendants of the disciples, and continues to work to this day through their successors, preserving them and continuing to work through them in the Orthodox Church. And while God certainly still does works through people that aren't with the disciples and their successors, as above, there aren't any guarantees there, and it's better to be the disciples.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure some have experienced great power and consolation from Christ but I'm not sure they would express it with those descriptors. Orthodoxy teaches us that humility brings grace. Consider this story:
image-2020-07-14-14-37-59.jpg

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, and welcome to TAW! :)

I just wanted to say a couple of things. Yes, we can and do have deep personal experiences with God, and believe in them.

However ... we also recognize the great importance of being part of the Body. We worship as a Body, Commune as a Body, do not exist in isolation. So that is one reason you probably won’t find people talking very much about personal experiences.

Another reason is that we are taught strongly to try to develop humility and avoid pride. So when people do have intense spiritual experiences, they are unlikely to talk much about them. There can be temptation of others to admire them spiritually, or for them to start thinking too highly of their own selves. So you would be unlikely to hear people talk very much about it, especially the more intensely they experience it.

And one more thing. We are also taught how eager the enemy is to counterfeit the things of God. We know of times when the enemy has literally appeared (perhaps as an angel, telling someone how please God is with their spiritual virtue, etc.). Sometimes the person uncovered the ruse and rejected it and the enemy would flee. Sometimes they were deceived, and the result can be dangerous spiritual pride. So we are taught to always be on guard against personal experiences.

But yes, they happen. And yes, we believe in them. They are talked about most plainly in the stories of the Saints of the past, who allow them to be told after their death when they can no longer be tempted.

You might find answers to your particular questions. But these are just some of the reasons we don’t speak if things in the same ways. It can be almost like learning a new language, so it can take some back-and-forth to learn the answers you may be asking.

It’s worth the effort though. :)

God be with you!

I'm a Christian, Protestant, reformer, catholic, overcomer/conqueror, son of God, will never taste the 2nd death, saved by the Lambs precious blood, receiver of his living water, baptised by the holy ghost in his death, burial and resurrection and i've had a foretaste of the living waters on 1st May 2020 which lasted 3 days and i desire more and want everyone in this world to taste of it. I know its a foretaste of heaven and its unexplainable in words, emotions, laughter, excitement....Psalms 126 answered it for me. Its joy, blissful joy, the building of the foundations of spiritual Jerusalem.

May i ask if anyone belonging to the EO has came across Christ like this, been comforted by him with so much bliss during their time of tribulation on this Earth?

....and how would you suggest i grow stronger in Christ?

God Bless

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure some have experienced great power and consolation from Christ but I'm not sure they would express it with those descriptors. Orthodoxy teaches us that humility brings grace. Consider this story:
View attachment 280906

Is the old man in that story the sinner in me dead? and now i'm becoming a new man in Christ?

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is the old man in that story the sinner in me dead? and now i'm becoming a new man in Christ?
No, he was a real person who was holy. The point is that we can be fooled into bragging about our holiness. Pride tells us to look at where we are in Christ and exalt ourselves. Holiness only exalts The Trinity and realizes that our good works are filthy rags. I should always count myself lower than others since I am very familiar with my own sins.
Thus, if the old man had said, "I'm the sheep and others are goats" he would have reflected the Pharisee in Luke 18. Instead he reflected the publican's repentance and thus retained his humility and position with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there, and welcome to TAW! :)

I just wanted to say a couple of things. Yes, we can and do have deep personal experiences with God, and believe in them.

However ... we also recognize the great importance of being part of the Body. We worship as a Body, Commune as a Body, do not exist in isolation. So that is one reason you probably won’t find people talking very much about personal experiences.

Another reason is that we are taught strongly to try to develop humility and avoid pride. So when people do have intense spiritual experiences, they are unlikely to talk much about them. There can be temptation of others to admire them spiritually, or for them to start thinking too highly of their own selves. So you would be unlikely to hear people talk very much about it, especially the more intensely they experience it.

And one more thing. We are also taught how eager the enemy is to counterfeit the things of God. We know of times when the enemy has literally appeared (perhaps as an angel, telling someone how please God is with their spiritual virtue, etc.). Sometimes the person uncovered the ruse and rejected it and the enemy would flee. Sometimes they were deceived, and the result can be dangerous spiritual pride. So we are taught to always be on guard against personal experiences.

But yes, they happen. And yes, we believe in them. They are talked about most plainly in the stories of the Saints of the past, who allow them to be told after their death when they can no longer be tempted.

You might find answers to your particular questions. But these are just some of the reasons we don’t speak if things in the same ways. It can be almost like learning a new language, so it can take some back-and-forth to learn the answers you may be asking.

It’s worth the effort though. :)

God be with you!

Thankyou. This has been so intense i can't hold it back and i want everyone to enjoy that bliss i had and i seek for it. Doors have opened for me, stumbling blocks have been removed not by me, but by the Lord. I do not want or desire to be known as a proud, haughty Christian. I detest Christians like that, just as the Lord detests a proud Christian more so than the beggar on the street. I've never been rich financially although i once desired to be, but the Lord brought me down to live in the mire before he saved me.......after that i've had many troubles but the blessings were so strong i simply can't hold them in. Mum's minister knows about them, my ex-Dr. knows about them (who's also an elder). I just can't believe the Lord's blessings are so powerful and his word is so rewarding.

God Bless.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thankyou. This has been so intense i can't hold it back and i want everyone to enjoy that bliss i had and i seek for it. Doors have opened for me, stumbling blocks have been removed not by me, but by the Lord. I do not want or desire to be known as a proud, haughty Christian. I detest Christians like that, just as the Lord detests a proud Christian more so than the beggar on the street. I've never been rich financially although i once desired to be, but the Lord brought me down to live in the mire before he saved me.......after that i've had many troubles but the blessings were so strong i simply can't hold them in. Mum's minister knows about them, my ex-Dr. knows about them (who's also an elder). I just can't believe the Lord's blessings are so powerful and his word is so rewarding.

God Bless.

Please don't feel that I am being harsh or judgemental regarding your experiences. I think that it is important for you to understand that we don't seek such experiences. I used to be a Pentecostal (and Baptist before that) pastor. I understand what you are saying and what you are experiencing. However, what will happen when your spiritual high crashes?

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, he was a real person who was holy. The point is that we can be fooled into bragging about our holiness. Pride tells us to look at where we are in Christ and exalt ourselves. Holiness only exalts The Trinity and realizes that our good works are filthy rags. I should always count myself lower than others since I am very familiar with my own sins.
Thus, if the old man had said, "I'm the sheep and others are goats" he would have reflected the Pharisee in Luke 18. Instead he reflected the publican's repentance and thus retained his humility and position with God.

Yeah, i heard that sermon about the Pharisee and the publican preached many times by God fearing preachers who are reformists. Its the same message.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, i heard that sermon about the Pharisee and the publican preached many times by God fearing preachers who are reformists. Its the same message.

Reformists? I'm sorry I don't understand.

Also, is this first time you've had this spiritual high experience?

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please don't feel that I am being harsh or judgemental regarding your experiences. I think that it is important for you to understand that we don't seek such experiences. I used to be a Pentecostal (and Baptist before that) pastor. I understand what you are saying and what you are experiencing. However, what will happen when your spiritual high crashes?

I've already experienced it. Deep depression with God's word as my only comfort. Its like David in despair with nothing but the Lord to rely on and i have to wait patiently for his comfort, because the Holy Ghost comforts, guides us, instructs us, stengthens us when the Lord knows best, not when i think the time is right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've already experienced it. Deep depression with God's word as my only comfort. Its like David in despair with nothing but the Lord to rely on and i have to wait patiently for his comfort, because the Holy Ghost comforts, guides us, instructs us, stengthens us when the Lord knows best, not when i think the time is right.
In Orthodoxy the up and down spirituality is a reflection of the influence of the evil one. God is experienced as we walk in His Church and its teachings. We don't have "good services" in Orthodoxy. We have a good God who loves mankind. Every prayer we pray, every hymn chanted, and everytime we partake of His Body and Blood is a moment of elated existence. However, I have never thought of it in terms of a spiritual high or low. Orthodoxy isn't about how I feel or how "spiritual" I am. Orthodoxy is about my sacramental life in Christ and the life that is produced from it. Many of the holiest people to ever live never experienced a spiritual high as the Protestants seek. They did experience a growth that resulted in a complete defeat of their passions and a complete Communion with The Trinity. You see, this is the result of yeilding to God's Uncreated Graces. It is a humble life of holiness regardless of how our emotions respond.
Please forgive me if I'm being too forward. Having experienced the Charismatic movement I really feel a deep hurt for your condition. I myself am wicked but I take heart in that I have found truth that doesn't depend on a certain life condition to grant grace.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reformists? I'm sorry I don't understand.

Free Presbyterian church of Ulster. Reformed Covenanters

Also, is this first time you've had this spiritual high experience?

Christ saved me on the 27/12/1999. I was going through immense pressure and on 01/05/2020 i woke up with this spiritual high and although there have been many lows since then, the highs have outwayed them with doors opening, meeting other Christians i never met before and i'm always talking with them constantly about Christ and them with me. You can read about it hear in my 1st post on this forum.

Born again/saved and comforted by the Holy Spirit

I even looked into the dates and the 27/12 is when the Israelites celebrate coming out of Babylon. The 01/05 is when they celebrate building the foundations of the Temple.

there even more things that have happened since then i could fill a book and i'm constantly getting dates liked up with sermons, thinking on things that someone else is preparing a sermon on, without me knowing.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Orthodoxy the up and down spirituality is a reflection of the influence of the evil one. God is experienced as we walk in His Church and its teachings. We don't have "good services" in Orthodoxy. We have a good God who loves mankind. Every prayer we pray, every hymn chanted, and everytime we partake of His Body and Blood is a moment of elated existence. However, I have never thought of it in terms of a spiritual high or low. Orthodoxy isn't about how I feel or how "spiritual" I am. Orthodoxy is about my sacramental life in Christ and the life that is produced from it. Many of the holiest people to ever live never experienced a spiritual high as the Protestants seek. They did experience a growth that resulted in a complete defeat of their passions and a complete Communion with The Trinity. You see, this is the result of yeilding to God's Uncreated Graces. It is a humble life of holiness regardless of how our emotions respond.
Please forgive me if I'm being too forward. Having experienced the Charismatic movement I really feel a deep hurt for your condition. I myself am wicked but I take heart in that I have found truth that doesn't depend on a certain life condition to grant grace.

Do not think your being too forward, i'm not on this forum to gloat. I'm hear to be humbled and to learn. I'm only young in my faith and need structure and stability. I know the Lord is working with me. I need to grow.

i live with the world all around me, its here when i awake, when i go to the shops, when i meet people, etc, etc. I'm constantly in the world. The only time alone i have in true peace with the Lord is when i'm in my bedroom praying, reading the bible and praising him.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do not think your being too forward, i'm not on this forum to gloat. I'm hear to be humbled and to learn. I'm only young in my faith and need structure and stability. I know the Lord is working with me. I need to grow.

Please don't go away. I believe others will chime in on this eventually. I appreciate your openness to listen. As I don't want to overwhelm you with my thoughts I'm going to pray and take some time before I respond again.

You seem to be an agreeable sort and that is always a pleasure to find.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would also add ... God of course knows how to grow us for our own good and in His own time.

Sometimes we have these spiritual highs for a season, and for a purpose. (Nearly everyone I think has them to some degree especially at first.)

But then sometimes God does the opposite and “hides”. In those times we learn such things as to desire and seek Him. To trust Him apart from our feelings. To deepen our faith, patience, and/or humility. And surely other purposes God uses these times for that I don’t know about.

And the further we go, the finer discernment we usually need, since God is usually about growing us and teaching us and forming Christ in us to an ever greater degree.

There are some teachings about this - it’s acknowledged within the faith.

It can be counterproductive though to focus too much on ourselves - in some ways. It’s a very long journey, I’ll just say that. We usually seek out someone with more experience to hear what we are going through who can help us avoid pitfalls. The whole of the Christian life is about growing closer to God, though that can look very different in its details from one person to the next.

Upvote 0