Hi! I'm a former atheist who now seeks God...

JazzForChrist

Dec 17, 2018
Taipei
✟16,733.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone. I'm someone who's very, VERY serious about becoming a Christian; and I desperately need guidance from you guys to clear all my doubts before I make my decision!

So, anyway...for the past 20 years, I had been a militant atheist. I've had grown up to believe that the universe created itself; that the Bible is primitive, backwards and unworthy of attention. I believed that religion undermines science and hated religion with a passion. I constantly ridiculed religion online. And just within the last 24 hours, I have heard God's voice.

Anyway, it all started a couple days ago, when I had an epiphany.

I suddenly realized that logic and reasoning demands the existence of a God. I realized that my atheism was based on a flawed methodology. I simply ''woke up'' all of a sudden, as if I were a new person; like never before.

I immediately re-watched all the ''does God exist'' debates. The theist debater, whom I used to mock, now made perfect sense; while the atheist debater, whom I used to admire, now failed so miserably at logic that he even seemed comical.

Then I recollected what I knew about the Scripture. Everything that I used to regard as savage and ridiculous suddenly made sense now...it just...makes sense.

So the next thing I did was read the Scripture and watch debates about the Resurrection of Jesus. Mind-blown by how historically significant the Gospels actually are, I've decided that it is logical to believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

But here's the most crucial thing that really made me decide to evaluate this new faith. As I said in the beginning, it happened within the last 24 hours...

So basically my father tripped over and broke a bone. He's currently hospitalized. I don't know if this is a coincidence.

Even though I recognized this as a situation where I should pray for someone, I felt really reluctant to do so. My father is an unsuccessful, narcissistic and insecure man; my relationship with my father has been very remote. But last night, I still felt compelled to pray (for the very first time).

So I prayed for the very first time. I tried to pray for my father, but ego kept me from uttering the words. I simply just asked God to reveal answers about Himself to me. And then the most inexplicable experience in my life happened.

Warm currents suddenly started to flow rapidly in my body, as if I turned into an ocean under a hurricane. I genuinely felt a warm deep voice speaking inside my heart, which said: ''OK, here are the answers.''

And then, the warm energy in my body started to converge toward my heart, which took the form of a box. I reached out my hands and tried to open it, but it was locked. I tried to open it by force, but to no avail. Then the currents fade and the temperature drops...everything returned to normal.

Then there was this peaceful feeling...although I didn't get the answers, I was relieved that I was assured of answers.

I stood awake for the rest of the night. That experience was too vivid to be a dream. To be as rational as possible, I examined the possibilities of wishful thinking, placebo effect and even hallucination. Of course, I REALLY wish that it was God; but I can't be 100% certain.

So...here I am, searching for answers. Do any of you guys have similar experiences? What would you say about your relationship with God? Either way, it's gonna be a lot of Scripture reading and hanging around CF for me these days :)

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello Friend, My name is Scott and I am a pastor. Read Romans 10:9-13 and tell me what it says to you personally?
Do you realize that you are a sinner? Do you realize now that you have to have a Saviour?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone. I'm someone who's very, VERY serious about becoming a Christian; and I desperately need guidance from you guys to clear all my doubts before I make my decision!

So, anyway...for the past 20 years, I had been a militant atheist. I've had grown up to believe that the universe created itself; that the Bible is primitive, backwards and unworthy of attention. I believed that religion undermines science and hated religion with a passion. I constantly ridiculed religion online. And just within the last 24 hours, I have heard God's voice.

I suddenly realized that logic and reasoning demands the existence of a God. I realized that my atheism was based on a flawed methodology. I simply ''woke up'' all of a sudden, as if I were a new person; like never before.

I immediately re-watched all the ''does God exist'' debates. The theist debater, whom I used to mock, now made perfect sense; while the atheist debater, whom I used to admire, now failed so miserably at logic that he even seemed comical.

Then I recollected what I knew about the Scripture. Everything that I used to regard as savage and ridiculous suddenly made sense now...it just...makes sense.

So the next thing I did was read the Scripture and watch debates about the Resurrection of Jesus. Mind-blown by how historically significant the Gospels actually are, I've decided that it is logical to believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

But here's the most crucial thing that really made me decide to evaluate this new faith. As I said in the beginning, it happened within the last 24 hours...

So basically my father tripped over and broke a bone. He's currently hospitalized. I don't know if this is a coincidence.

Even though I recognized this as a situation where I should pray for someone, I felt really reluctant to do so. My father is an unsuccessful, narcissistic and insecure man; my relationship with my father has been very remote. But last night, I still felt compelled to pray (for the very first time).

So I prayed for the very first time. I tried to pray for my father, but ego kept me from uttering the words. I simply just asked God to reveal answers about Himself to me. And then the most inexplicable experience in my life happened.

Warm currents suddenly started to flow rapidly in my body, as if I turned into an ocean under a hurricane. I genuinely felt a warm deep voice speaking inside my heart, which said: ''OK, here are the answers.''

And then, the warm energy in my body started to converge toward my heart, which took the form of a box. I reached out my hands and tried to open it, but it was locked. I tried to open it by force, but to no avail. Then the currents fade and the temperature drops...everything returned to normal.

Then there was this peaceful feeling...although I didn't get the answers, I was relieved that I was assured of answers.

I stood awake for the rest of the night. That experience was too vivid to be a dream. To be as rational as possible, I examined the possibilities of wishful thinking, placebo effect and even hallucination. Of course, I REALLY wish that it was God; but I can't be 100% certain.

So...here I am, searching for answers. Do any of you guys have similar experiences? What would you say about your relationship with God? Either way, it's gonna be a lot of Scripture reading and hanging around CF for me these days :)

It's not unusual for God to turn on ones light bulb all of a sudden and for seemingly unusual unexplainable things to happen by Him (don't be surprised if the experiences last for many days, it happen that way with me). :amen: So happy for you!

Your next step (like you said) is digging into Gods word and increase your knowledge about Jesus. You will be like a sponge soaking it up like you never thought possible.

Welcome to the family of the Lord! God Bless you!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am also an ex-atheist to whom God made Himself real. In time, I was dragged (not quite kicking and screaming) into the Kingdom. It happened both from the inside and by God bringing certain people into my life. Read His Word (the Bible) - it will help with your transformation. Start with the New Testament.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

First, Yay, God!!!!!!! for you!

Second, if you have never listened to Scripture. Spend time listening to Scripture, preferably as much as possible. I suggest starting with the New Testament and really letting all that sink in--not to say you got through it, but seek to try to understand it. In that way, you are diligently seeking God and He gave us His Word and His Spirit to do so. Jesus said "My Words are Spirit and They are Life." We are told to be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2). Next, you will have a wave of doubts probably hit you or former friends that will do everything to pull you back over to their side. We are told to "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ". So, if the thoughts don't line up with what God says, just don't accept them. That's why the better you get to know God, the easier it is to recognize what isn't Him. If you feel God is telling you to do something, do it. Obedience is imperative in our walk with Him. We may not always know why, but we can expect that it will produce fruit in us and through us when we are obedient. You will find that there are many lies out there that can keep you from the fullness of what is available in God. Make sure whatever and whoever you follow is completely consistent with what God gives in Scripture. If not, don't sell yourself out to them. Sell yourself only to God! Remember, He promises that if you diligently seek Him, He will be found. He also says that you can't please Him without faith and faith includes believing He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Yay, God!

• Winner
Reactions: JazzForChrist
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,814.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Ha ha! :clap: He touched you! Praise the Lord!:clap: Right now you just need to start reading the Word. Start with the book of John NIV. As you study, you will have more ah ha epiphanies. The scales are falling off your eyes brother. Rejoice! Be exceeding glad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am so happy to hear that your formerly hard heart of stone has now become soft. Your experience is real. I experience something very similar when I worship and pray in the spirit.

God knocked, and you answered the door, but you have yet to invite Him in. This is done by repenting of the things that separate you from God, what we call sin. That isn't to say that you must recall every sin that you have ever committed. It is to repent of your former rebellion, and to commit your life to God. God is the paradigm which the term goodness refers to, as well as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness gentleness, and self control. So when you commit your life to God, you commit yourself to the path that leads to life. When you have made that step of repentance and commitment, ask Christ to come into your life and be your saviour. Then seek out a church (carefully given the current regime) with leaders that exhibit the love of Christ.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I will pray for your father, and you will do so as well, and perhaps we shall see some change in him because of it. He is, of course, free to do what he wishes, but through your life God may be calling him, and he may respond.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Thanks for trying to articulate the God experience, I’ve tried to articulate it before, nobody ever seems to try it, I wish sometimes that members who are way more articulate than me would try sometimes. It’d be interesting to hear @Stanfordella try to articulate it (if she has ever had such an experience), she’s a very gifted writer!

Yeah there’s no contest, no placebo. I’ve done ‘Mind over matter’ feel good thought experiments for decades, in all different moods and situations, and focusing on all kinds of things...there’s simply something extra going on when it’s God/Jesus meditation. Something extraordinary that engulfs me that far exceeds my ability to meditate myself into a good mood with a non-God thought process.

The speed at which it can happen is extraordinary as well. On my best day I can slowly & gradually meditate myself from a bad mood to good mood via non-God meditation. But if I do it with my thought process being God/Jesus there’s some additional force that transforms me and it’s much faster and more powerful. Tough to explain IMO.

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I had an experience once. I can't even call it a vision, even if I kind of saw things, but like an overflow of love and comfort and it left something in me, a bit of assurance is you will. I wanted to tell everyone how much I loved them, and there were no worries. I believe it was from God. Someone described something similar he experienced, and called it "dose of the Holy Spirit", if I recall it right. Later on I learned to pray when I was at rock bottom, and have been searching for God since and trying to depend on Christ. I was delivered from awful depression and alcoholism.

What you had and experienced, take it as a blessing, even if you never experienced it again. We shouldn't run after feelings, because they come and go, but we can take some things with gratitude nevertheless. Not to say that more revelations can't or won't come, just that it's better to hold on to the source itself even when you don't feel that much.

What you said about ego, you said it well. It's such a nuisance, isn't it? You wanted to pray for your father and yourself, your heart was in the right place, and that pesky thing got in the way. But the great thing about God is that if we allow, if we want to know Him, He will get rid of our egos and the barricades we build against Him, little by little.

Said a prayer for you brother. Go with Christ, and may God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,814.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for trying to articulate the God experience, I’ve tried to articulate it before, nobody ever seems to try it, I wish sometimes that members who are way more articulate than me would try sometimes. It’d be interesting to hear @Stanfordella try to articulate it (if she has ever had such an experience), she’s a very gifted writer!

There is no other way to describe it except "He Touched Me" or " Something Happened". The OP did a good job imho describing his experience.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is no other way to describe it except "He Touched Me" or " Something Happened". The OP did a good job imho describing his experience.
I liked the OP, I wasn’t implying his description wasn’t a good one, if that’s how my post sounded. I was giving him a thumbs up for the description and saying I wish more people tried to explain the experiences too.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,814.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I liked the OP, I wasn’t implying his description wasn’t a good one, if that’s how my post sounded. I was giving him a thumbs up for the description and saying I wish more people tried to explain the experiences too.

I am sorry. I was just commenting on what you said about how hard the experience is to articulate . I am in agreement with your post. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry. I was just commenting on what you said about how hard the experience is to articulate . I am in agreement with your post. :)
Oh that’s ok, I was just making sure it read the same way that I meant it :)

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Peace comes with knowing personally that Jesus Christ has justified you to be with Him now and forever, while the joy at experiencing Him as being the answer to all your questions is what sanctification is all about.
Peace remains with those who no longer doubt the work of Christ, either historically or the merits of the morality He exhibited or the truth of having become a new creation in Christ.
Growth comes from the light of truth-believed, yielding to that light because you trust the love behind it. Yielding to light continues to bring more light because you’ll be living in obedience to Him as He directs your life. Study to know your position in Christ, treat your fellow Christians as God sees them in Christ, never fall back to believing satan’s lies but rather turn away from those idols and follow the living God.

• Friendly
Upvote 0