Hi I am new

anewinhim

Oct 13, 2006
✟15,181.00
Faith
Calvinist
Hi

I am a new Christian/Calvinist, or at least I believe in what RC Sproul says on his TV show. I like his show, John McArthurs, and Kay Arthurs TV shows, so I think that makes me a Calvinist. I am not much on denominations or lables.

I looked though some of these posts before joining and I noticed that for some reason, it seems Calvinism isnt well liked? I had no idea. I guess I dont understand why. Right now Kay Arthur is going through Ephesians and explained predestination as it is written. I guess I dont understand what other interpretation there could be for those verses? I guess I am confused, it says were are predestined, why wouldnt I believe what it says in the bible?

I guess I dont understand why Calvinism isnt well liked? I hope I am not stirring up a bees nest as thats not my intent. I guess I was just kind of taken aback at how much hostility there seems to be, and I dont really understand why.

Thanks
anewinhim

UMP

Aug 16, 2004
✟5,772.00
Faith
Christian
Hi

I am a new Christian/Calvinist, or at least I believe in what RC Sproul says on his TV show. I like his show, John McArthurs, and Kay Arthurs TV shows, so I think that makes me a Calvinist. I am not much on denominations or lables.

I looked though some of these posts before joining and I noticed that for some reason, it seems Calvinism isnt well liked? I had no idea. I guess I dont understand why. Right now Kay Arthur is going through Ephesians and explained predestination as it is written. I guess I dont understand what other interpretation there could be for those verses? I guess I am confused, it says were are predestined, why wouldnt I believe what it says in the bible?

I guess I dont understand why Calvinism isnt well liked? I hope I am not stirring up a bees nest as thats not my intent. I guess I was just kind of taken aback at how much hostility there seems to be, and I dont really understand why.

Thanks
anewinhim

The truth has always been hated.

John 15:
[18] If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
[19] If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Most people who harshly criticize Calvinism often don't really know what Calvinism is.

If you didn't call it "Calvinism" and didn't mention "TULIP" but simply discussed the doctrines of grace (don't have to use that term either) many of those same people would say, "Well yes, that's what Scripture says."

That aside - glad to have you here. Ask questions - you'll get lots of good answers, join in the conversations, participate in the dining hall, share a quote or devotional. There are wonderful, knowledgable, and extremely friendly folks here.

edie

Upvote 0

McWilliams

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Texas
✟15,077.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Man wants to have his say, even in salvation. He wants to do it his way, in his time and by his own design.
First, if the Lord has touched our heart and called us to Himself and we have a desire to learn of Him, study His word and to be as He proclaims it is likely He has regenerated our heart.
Some, who want to profess they are christian without laying down their arms in submission to Him will consider theirself to be christian but may not be.
Our Lord never compromised or negotiated. He allowed the rich young ruler to walk away, never coaxed, compromised, or negotiated His plan.
Often our Lord approached a crowd, chose one, healed him in both body and soul, while others stood by watching, unchanged.
Salvation is of the Lord! We succumb to His holiness with great gratitude, for such mercy and grace!
The crowds didnt love His gentle, loving and just approach! They hated Him without a cause and even killed the Lord of glory! They have the same approach to His truth today, hating it in their blindness! If you truly love Him, it is impossible to measure the blessing you have, immeasurable wealth, that He would choose us to be HIs own!
Read Spurgeon's Defense of Calvinism!

Upvote 0

anewinhim

Oct 13, 2006
✟15,181.00
Faith
Calvinist
Thanks for the kind welcome. As I said I am pretty new but I will try to participate in the discussions, or at least the ones about things I have learned about.

RC Sproul did a two part sermon on the God being a "being" and us being human "becommings" during his confrence series. I dont know if anyone caught them two shows. All I can say is WOW! I understood him, but explaining it, I think I will leave it to the more experienced LOL.

UMP you said the truth has always been hated. Sadly I think your right. I have to go with what is right, and follow what it says in the bible. Even if it means people dislike me.

For me, I like being chosen. I know I did nothing to earn it, but it does show Gods love for me.

Thanks Again
anewinhim

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the kind welcome. As I said I am pretty new but I will try to participate in the discussions, or at least the ones about things I have learned about.

RC Sproul did a two part sermon on the God being a "being" and us being human "becommings" during his confrence series. I dont know if anyone caught them two shows. All I can say is WOW! I understood him, but explaining it, I think I will leave it to the more experienced LOL.

UMP you said the truth has always been hated. Sadly I think your right. I have to go with what is right, and follow what it says in the bible. Even if it means people dislike me.

For me, I like being chosen. I know I did nothing to earn it, but it does show Gods love for me.

Thanks Again
anewinhim

Good day, Anewinhim

Welcome to CF, and the reformed forum.

I hope you enjoy your time here.

Yes RC Sproul was very much used of God in the lives of many people here at CF. There is a thread on the main board where we share our stories of " Travels"

http://www.christianforums.com/t124...-i-became-a-calvinist-feel-free-to-share.html

Please share more of your story, we love them.

Peace to u,

Bill

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I get plenty of "Calvinism is so depressing" from those who hear it for the first time. It's not terribly optimistic about people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps (btw, a nice Calvinistic result if you try it!). Dropping self-reliance is a tough thing for people who've been raised in it.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Calvinism is always on trial by those who dislike Calvinists. When I first learned about Calvnist, I had a problem with an attitude of a person who was a Calvinist.

Calvinism as a doctrine is NOT the problem. The problem is those who called themselves "Calvnists" who showed no love while debating the doctrine.

Calvinism is theology of John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, George Whitefield, Charles Spurgeon, James Montgomery Boice, R. C. Sproul, and John MacArthur. When I think of those men, I never had problems with their attitudes as I met other "Calvinists".

I am a "Calvinist" but I do not advertise myself as an "Calvinist" with a icon. I am a Christian FIRST, Calvinist second. While it is still true that some Christians get into trouble through their faults instead of through their likeness to the character of Christ. Faith rests upon character of God. A word is only as good as the character of the one who is a Christian and act like Christ. Creditbility is behaving like Christ when you have the title: "Christian". The cross is a symbol of the selfless, others-centered life of Christ. Love alone can make our conduct acceptable to God. Our Christian testimonies (action, words and motives) are important to God because it is motive that gives to every holy act that glorifies God. Creditbility is evangelism. The cross is a symbol of the selfless, others-centered life of Christ. Love alone can make my conduct acceptable to God. My Christian testimonies (action, words and motives) are important to God because it is motive that gives to every holy act that Glorifies God.

Another reason people "dislike" Calvinism Doctrine is God's Authority regarding Salvation. The Bible clearly teaches that no one has true "freewill" except God Himself. God is in control and He will allow us to have freewill only if its according to His will. The "freewill" is always subject to God's sovereignty and His divine freewill. God let's each of us chose whether they will be obedient to Him or not according to His will. The key is that God is ALWAYS in control even in our own freewill. Those of us given the free gift of faith, we have escaped eternal punishment that we rightly deserved because of the mercy and grace of God, and we should be eternally grateful. Christ's atonement which is the actual work, for whoever believe. We believe this is limited to those who believe and were chosen by God, whereas the Arminian side of it would say that everybody’s sins have been paid for. To me Arminian believes that Jesus paid the penalty for the sins of people who don’t believe. That’s the problem I am having because if your sins are paid for already by Jesus and you go to hell, then that’s double jeopardy. It is TRUE that Christ died on the Cross for EVERYONE !! The atonement basically means whoever Believe in Christ will not perish and those who do not believe in Christ will NOT get the benefit of Christ's atonement. Christ's purpose to die for everyone but the atonement is only limited to those who accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior.

The knowledge of God how and why He choose one and not another is too much to know that ONLY God knows. People can debate all they want "this".. "that" Debating Arminianism vs Calvinistic doctrines... and so on... on.... Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD. We are so entangled with "reasonings" regarding the doctrine of Salvation. You are either Spirit-Filled by acknowledging the conviction of Holy Spirit or don't acknowledge the Holy Spirit.

In efficacious grace we are not merely passive, nor yet does God do some and we do the rest. But God does all, and we do all. God produces all, we act all. For that is what produces, viz. our own acts. God is the only proper author and fountain; we only are the proper actors. We are in different respects, wholly passive and wholly active. Jonathan Edwards

Upvote 0

bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism as a doctrine is NOT the problem. The problem is those who called themselves "Calvnists" who showed no love while debating the doctrine.
Jim, I have heard this sort of thing many times, but have come to disagree with it. I don't find calvinists any less loving or sincere than others, actually usually more so. I think the real problem is our own self-aggrandizing idea of what we deserve and our pride that causes most of us to react to the biblical truth that some label calvinism with the idea that it is arrogant or unloving. We love ourselves so much it just seems unfathomable that God doesn't love us for something inherent in ourselves, and to hear there is nothing there for Him to love makes Him, and the person delivering the message, appear unloving. Well, I know that He is amazingly loving, except maybe for those vessels fitted for destruction, and I'm sure they get a little hot hearing the truth.

Upvote 0

anewinhim

Oct 13, 2006
✟15,181.00
Faith
Calvinist
I got to thinking about free will vs being chosen this weekend. I know I had to have been chosen. Thats the only thing that explains it. I did not have the best experiences with Churches, and some Church people, (in the past) and I doubt I would have ever had a desire to learn anything about God on my own. I was pretty soured on all things Church, for alot of reasons.

I think He put that need to learn about Him in me, because I doubt I ever would have done it by my own free will.

Then when I did feel the need to learn, I found all of the bad teachers first, and it took a long time to find one that spoke the truth. I guess God was showing me all the bad ones first. It was really disheartening. I think I have found just about every wrong version of teaching that there is. Its easy to find that wide path, not so easy to find the narrow one.

Normally, on my own, I would have given up a long time ago. Thats why I dont think this was on my own or by my own free will. I cant explain it any other way.

I dont know much yet, but at least I am finally on the right path and I feel like I am behind and need to catch up and make up for lost time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

McWilliams

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Texas
✟15,077.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
The knowledge that you are one of His, chosen in eternity past and guaranteed of your future with Him is the greatest of all knowledge and such an humbling realization! Blessings to you anewinhim, that you know this and that He has claimed you as HIs own and will guide your growth in grace and wisdom and discernment!
Glorious journey!

Upvote 0

anewinhim

Oct 13, 2006
✟15,181.00
Faith
Calvinist
Thanks Mc Williams

I do feel blessed, I dont know why he chose me, like I said, I did nothing to deserve it. I wasnt even a typical good Christian.

I am really eager to learn. I just got RC Sprouls catalog and have been going through it. I think I will start with his recomended list on Level 1, as some of the stuff he teaches gets a little advanced for me. I wish I was as smart as him!

I dont mean to pry, maybe I heard him wrong, but does anyone know whats wrong with RC? When they aired his confrence series, he mentioned (if I heard him right) that something was wrong in the back of his head. I prayed for him. I dont know if he is sick or I just misunderstood him. I do pray he isnt sick.

I will still listen to John McArthur and Kay Arthur too and I also found a guy named Zacharias, that I think is really good too. I am pretty sure he is a Calvinist, or pretty close. I was listening to a show he had on TV, the stuff he was saying sounded really good. I think it was called Deliver us from evil, or something, a title close to that.

Anyway thanks again
anewinhim

Reactions: McWilliams
Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I will still listen to John McArthur and Kay Arthur too and I also found a guy named Zacharias, that I think is really good too. I am pretty sure he is a Calvinist, or pretty close. I was listening to a show he had on TV, the stuff he was saying sounded really good. I think it was called Deliver us from evil, or something, a title close to that.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that Ravi Zacharias is not a Calvinist. He's good, though. I often enjoy his radio programs, and I believe he is also speaking at the 2007 Ligonier national conference.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I could be wrong, but my impression is that Ravi Zacharias is not a Calvinist. He's good, though. I often enjoy his radio programs, and I believe he is also speaking at the 2007 Ligonier national conference.

I don't want to say you're wrong - maybe its a matter of terminology - but several years ago Ravi Zacharias spoke at a Reformed conference in Toledo. So I'm assuming he has some reformed leanings.

edie

Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't want to say you're wrong - maybe its a matter of terminology - but several years ago Ravi Zacharias spoke at a Reformed conference in Toledo. So I'm assuming he has some reformed leanings.

edie

That could be. I do know he used to be (perhaps still is) with the C&MA, which is certainly not Reformed. So was A.W. Tozer, whose writings and sermons actually helped set me up to become a Calvinist. Either way, Ravi's one of my fav's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dont know much yet, but at least I am finally on the right path and I feel like I am behind and need to catch up and make up for lost time.
You're not behind. You're at the perfect point and place in your life where God, in His gracious and sovereign providence, has put you. Your hunger for God is a testament to His graciousness and love for all of His elect, for it is truly edifying to me to have you here, sharing with us all the story of God's work in your heart and in your life. Welcome to the fold my beautiful sister and may we, together, proclaim the truth and magnify His Name.

God bless

Reactions: McWilliams
Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi

Thanks
anewinhim

Hi =)
I've listened to RC Sproul & John MacArthur both since about 1997 - I'm THRILLED to see RC on Direct Tv now!! Even tho they are both wonderful, as I understand their positions on issues, they don't both fully agree on every doctrine (one I know of is pretribulation rapture).
My beliefs lean a little bit more towards MacArthur on some issues...

But to answer about the hostility, I know what you mean; I've been in online chat debates again recently and anytime Calvinism is brought up or a Calvanist speaks, they get attacked pretty heavily.

They associate Calvanism with having PRIDE. As if the Calvanist is saying "Just look how good I AM, that God picked ME to save & give His truth to and all you other poor slobs just aren't as fortunate as little ol' ME".

Outside of the arrogance view, they are also angry that WE have no choice in it. They want the ability to choose for themselves. As if somehow the Calvanist's view portrays an 'unfair' God who's forcing salvation upon those He chooses & those who might want Him are just out of luck.
They have a problem (IMO) giving God full sovereignty.
Maybe they like God on their own terms and outside of that, it makes them uncomfortable?

Arrogance is how most view it, and it couldn't be further from the truth. To believe that God chooses YOU for salvation, out of the entire population of humanity, is HUMBLING and brings thankfulness to my heart.
More of a feeling like, "why me Lord??"!
Thanking God for what we don't deserve (NONE OF US deserve His salvation).

But no matter how they try to get around it, the Bible is CLEAR that HE CHOSE US. That cannot be dismissed.
At best, the verses nonCalvanists use that seem to relay our hand in accepting/choosing God HAVE to work together with this rather than removing them to suit a preference.

Too many people try to change the Bible to fit WHAT THEY WANT IT TO SAY rather than what it says in truth.
The minute we manipulate & change what it says, we've just created our own doctrine and are walking away from truth.

One reason I don't understand why nonCalvanists attribute "pride" to Calvanists, is mainly becuz Eph. 2:8-9 specifically states that it's when YOU can claim YOU had a hand in your salvation in any way, that's where fleshly boasting can take place!??
:scratch:

Reactions: heymikey80
Upvote 0

anewinhim

Oct 13, 2006
✟15,181.00
Faith
Calvinist
Nadiine

I agree with you and thanks for your post. I know I had anything to do with my own salvation or could ever do good enough. If not for Gods grace, I would still be lost.

I really like John McArthur too. Him and RC are my two favorites. John McArthur did a sermon on this Sunday on DirecTV that was something I really needed to hear.

Most of his sermon was on Gods wrath of countries, but at the very beginning he talked about Gods wrath and individuals.

I dont want to go into the specifics, I will just say, in the past I have been very badly wronged by a person who is not remorseful or repentant, and I have had a hard time with it. When he what he was saying about people who live a sinful lifestyle and dont repent, that there is a wrath.

It made me feel much better. I feel much more forgiving and able to put the issue behind me. In other words, let God handle it, and stop letting it get to me.

I am so glad he talked on that subject. He really is a great preacher. He dont hold back and tells it like it really is.

Thanks

Upvote 0