Great Britain
✟14,863.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hi everyone I am a new christian I am nervous about posting and also I am not great with computors. I am in my early fifties, my parents became Jehovah's witnesses before I was born so I was brought up to believe in their doctrine. My hubby was witnessed to at work by a colleague and started a study with them when he was nineteen we met at the Kingdom Hall [their church] and eventually got married we have a daughter. Cutting a long story short as it is an epic one. Over the years we had many concerns and issues that we were unhappy about but kept going because we thought it was the truth and we were very faithful and devoted to our faith even though we had many problems and health issues to deal with.
Through the years my hubby always enjoyed reading different translations of the Bible and started to notice flaws in the JW teachings during this time we were in the wilderness not knowing what to do. Still believing in it we decided that before going back we needed to resolve these outstanding issues while searching and praying we feel the Lord revealed his purpose and the true Gospel of Grace and repentance and rebirth.
Not long after that we resigned and walked away and became born again through Gods mercy on us. Because of this decision all my family shun us and treat us as dead people. Although this has been painful our new found faith has been wonderful and the Lord has blessed us.

Look forward to hearing from you. I feel I have so much to learn.
Love Marrigold

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome Marrigold! CF is a great place to learn, especially here and the Christian Advice forum. You'll see a diverse group of denominations and opinions, but we share a foundation of Christianity and are always willing to answer questions or just offer support and encouragement.

Upvote 0

Debby 24

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Great Britain
✟14,863.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hi thankyou for the welcome actually I made mistake because i signed off as marrigold that was the name i was going to use but I changed it to debby as that is my real name and it was accepted. Thanks for your words of encouragement I am so thirsting for new experiences in the Lord I have never been so happy in all my life.

Upvote 0

DoctorJosh

Jun 7, 2010
United States of America
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone I am a new christian I am nervous about posting and also I am not great with computors. I am in my early fifties, my parents became Jehovah's witnesses before I was born so I was brought up to believe in their doctrine. My hubby was witnessed to at work by a colleague and started a study with them when he was nineteen we met at the Kingdom Hall [their church] and eventually got married we have a daughter. Cutting a long story short as it is an epic one. Over the years we had many concerns and issues that we were unhappy about but kept going because we thought it was the truth and we were very faithful and devoted to our faith even though we had many problems and health issues to deal with.
Through the years my hubby always enjoyed reading different translations of the Bible and started to notice flaws in the JW teachings during this time we were in the wilderness not knowing what to do. Still believing in it we decided that before going back we needed to resolve these outstanding issues while searching and praying we feel the Lord revealed his purpose and the true Gospel of Grace and repentance and rebirth.
Not long after that we resigned and walked away and became born again through Gods mercy on us. Because of this decision all my family shun us and treat us as dead people. Although this has been painful our new found faith has been wonderful and the Lord has blessed us.

Look forward to hearing from you. I feel I have so much to learn.
Love Marrigold

Yes, good to hear you did some research and that usually leads any Jehovah witness to become a Christian and accept the other half of the Bible (New Testament). When Jehovah witnesses came to my door at times they would always open a Holy Bible that had both the New and Old Testaments and start to explain what a wonderful world this will be when God remakes it and cleans it. Well I assured them that Jesus said in the same book in the New Testament that this world will pass away and we will live in Heaven like the Angels. I also mentioned I will be extremely happy to get off this rock and they can stay, but I am going with Jesus. However, thanks be to Jesus that you have found your way and if more did some research and question what they believe more they will find Jesus waiting at the end of the tunnel. Glory be to God the Father and the Lord Jesus! Amen. God Bless.

Upvote 0

Debby 24

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Great Britain
✟14,863.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Dr Dosh thankyou for your welcome Most Jehovah's witnesses are very keen Bible students of both the old and new testament it is not their lack of studying the new testament that is the problem it is the JW doctrine that does not allow them to view themselves as Christs brothers, just a selected few have that privilage. This two tier hope which the witnesses believe, that some will live in heaven and most on earth a doctrine that was developed in the 1930's by the watchtower society that has prevented people coming directly to Christ.

They believe those who have hope on the earth are not a part of the new covenant. So don't always feel that the new testament applies to them in every sense. During our research we came to realise there is one hope. All those who put faith in Jesus are in that covenant. Already we know that the Lord has set ourselves a ministry to help Jehovah's Witnesses to wake up to this.

We are overwhelmed with our new faith and hope and finding the true meaning of the Gospel of Christ and the true meaning of grace which the Witnesses to not appreciate.
Praise the Lord we thank him so much. Debby

Upvote 0

pilgrimgal

Jeremiah 29:11 It's good!
Apr 9, 2006
USA
✟25,368.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I rejoiced as I read your first post here..what a testimony to the saving power of the Lord! How He has led you out of that place into a better place and a better life. :thumbsup: Thank you for sharing! :)

After many years of faithful following...in the JW's..my niece went through something very like that with the Witnesses..and was shunned because she let her children play sports and because she took a job at a college herself in the athletic department. Difficulties with her husband's family and in her marriage and with her husband's drinking problem ensued. Her inlaws shunned her and her children as well.

Eventually she divorced and after some years remarried. She is much happier witlh her life as it is than as it was. I pray for her and her family often that they (including her new husband) will find fellowship..with born again believers and good fellowship. So far this hasn't happened but I know God is at work in her life and the lives of her family..

But I diverse...It is great that you are on a good path.. and you will find safety and acceptance in a vibrant and loving Christian community.

Reading your story gives me hope for my niece. Thanks for sharing.

blessings, :angel:

pilgrimgal

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Welcome, Debby!

Know that we aren't perfect, either. I'm sure there's lots of stuff we get wrong. It's great that we have a God Who can make up for all these crazy ideas we have, a redemptive God.

I'm sure some ideas will always be tough to catch onto as well. I hope you'll see us all as trying to help one anothers' searches, however badly we fail at it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chadster

Aug 10, 2010
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My family is Jehovah witnesses. I do not witness or go to the Kingdom Hall, I just read a lot and study. I do not consider myself a JW and nor should anyone else. Christianity and religion has always fascinated me. I've had Catholic, Lutheran, and even Baptists bible studies. With Baptists being my latest and current studies.

@ Debby 24 From what I know and have been told, reading up on other translations of the bible is not a bad thing, so your husband did nothing wrong. Learning and questioning everything that is put in front of us is a good thing, as long as we strive to find the answer and of course asking for help from our creator. Don't just leave that up to your husband.

@ Debby 24, I am wondering why as a former JW you don't use the terminology regarding the people that go to heaven under JW beliefs? Also, if you do not mind, please, can you point out your findings regarding as you said, "JW doctrine that does not allow them to view themselves as Christs brothers". I would love to hear how you came to this resolve. I love debating all that I learn with my mother and other JWs regarding major topics like this W00T! :thumbsup: And with them, you need a lot of ammo. They do seem to have way to many backed up good points. :scratch:

@ Debby 24, "They believe those who have hope on the earth are not a part of the new covenant. So don't always feel that the new testament applies to them in every sense. During our research we came to realise there is one hope."
I am not understanding this statement regarding JWs. Explain please.

Debby 24 I am not sure how bad this shunning you are receiving from your family is. I am sorry to hear this. Were you baptized Jehovah Witness?

@ Dr Josh. Jehovah Witnesses are Christians. Also, one of the most talked about actions of Jehovah Witnesses is their door to door preaching/brainwashing/trying to convert you right after your Sunday mass. But, as Christians we cannot get down on them for doing so. Jesus went door to door. Told his followers to go, door to door. It is actually a command to preach, to and for all of us.

@ pilgrimgal I was brought up to my parents best abilities to be a JW. I even played sports my whole life and played (football) in college. I know many JWs that have their kids play sports and even go to professional sports games. I have never in my life heard JWs not condoning sports. I will look more into this on my end to see what I can find out. I thinking there might be more to the story with your family. I'm defiantly gonna check into this topic and reply back.

heymikey80 Nice post.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Debby:

God is smiling down on you today- a fresh new heart ready to serve our precious Savior.

You will be able to open eyes and be a great testimony. Don't fret about the way the family treats you - you will be the shining light that will lead them out of the teachings they have endured. Just show them the joy of the Lord in all that you do and they will soon think, I want some of that also.

Stand your ground, witness, smile, praise and just walk with your hand in the hand of Jesus and lead by the Holy Spirit. You will be Blessed.

Upvote 0

Debby 24

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Great Britain
✟14,863.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Chadster thank you for your reply I am very confused by your statements, because if you have known about JW teachings all your life and have close family who are relatives I am very surprised you don't know the answer to those questions.

There are many websites and forums that will answer all of those questions if you really want to know, JWfacts, Freeminds, or Jehovah's witness own website. These sites inform you of Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs.

I was a baptised witness since I was 15yrs old while I was a witness I was classed as one of the great crowd. I did not have a heavenly hope. I did not partake of the bread and wine only the anointed class would partake of the bread and wine. They alone are classed as Christs brothers and have a heavenly hope. That is what they believe. Only they are in the covenant.

As regards the shunning my family treat me as though I am dead and have asked me not to contact them or try to associate with them. In fact I am very often alone as my hubby works away for a few days parts of the week so I moved nearer my family so I asked them if I could at least call them if I needed them or was worried at night. They said no, no contact at all.

How is that Christian or loving? I have a very large extended family and they have all shunned me. Now I only have my daughter my hubby, my father-in-law who is not a JW and is quite elderly and my hubbys brother.

But the Lord has provided me with new brothers and sisters and an extended family in my new found faith. I have comfort from Jesus when he said ,

Matthew 19 v 29 everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will recieve a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. NIV

I wish the Lords blessing upon you and pray that he helps you with his holy spirit to open your heart and you can recieve the joy of the Lord.

Debby

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chadster

Aug 10, 2010
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Chadster thank you for your reply I am very confused by your statements, because if you have known about JW teachings all your life and have close family who are relatives I am very surprised you don't know the answer to those questions.

There are many websites and forums that will answer all of those questions if you really want to know, JWfacts, Freeminds, or Jehovah's witness own website. These sites inform you of Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs.

I was a baptised witness since I was 15yrs old while I was a witness I was classed as one of the great crowd. I did not have a heavenly hope. I did not partake of the bread and wine only the anointed class would partake of the bread and wine. They alone are classed as Christs brothers and have a heavenly hope. That is what they believe. Only they are in the covenant.

As regards the shunning my family treat me as though I am dead and have asked me not to contact them or try to associate with them. In fact I am very often alone as my hubby works away for a few days parts of the week so I moved nearer my family so I asked them if I could at least call them if I needed them or was worried at night. They said no, no contact at all.

How is that Christian or loving? I have a very large extended family and they have all shunned me. Now I only have my daughter my hubby, my father-in-law who is not a JW and is quite elderly and my hubbys brother.

But the Lord has provided me with new brothers and sisters and an extended family in my new found faith. I have comfort from Jesus when he said ,

Matthew 19 v 29 everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will recieve a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. NIV

I wish the Lords blessing upon you and pray that he helps you with his holy spirit to open your heart and you can recieve the joy of the Lord.

Debby

I admit I do know why. I was asking more or less to understand your situation without going and asking flat out. I understand that things like this can be personal. I gather that you have been dis-fellow shipped from JWs. My mother was dis-fellow shipped, she committed adultery and a few more unchristian acts. She was separated during services and she was later reinstated. If memory serves me right, for her it was about 1 year, give or take some months. From your post Debby 24, yours is a more serious matter. When you decided to leave and learn and preach another faith, it is considered Apostasy. I am sure you knew this before hand of what would happen. I know they cannot associate with you now and that includes family. Its strict no matter what bible you read. All Christian religions deal with Apostasy in their own way or even not at all. Your family dose love you. They will not stop loving you.

So you know, I was never baptized. I'm actually glad I wasn't to be honest. I was to young (body and heart) to make that commitment to serve.

Regarding JW beliefs, the Anointed will go to heaven to serve Jesus to rule over the earth. This is limited to 144k people. I personally have not read a scripture that says all is welcome to go to heaven or that there is even a hell(other than death itself). Here is in short, what I do not understand...The earth was created for us to inhabit. We are told to procreate and fill this earth. Adam and Eve were meant to live forever on the earth until they ate from the tree. They were then stricken with death. This is a whole other topic and one that I search to understand more about. It just dose not make sense to me that we will leave this world behind even after Satan has been taken care of.

My views have not changed when regarding this topic and they rest right atm with the JWs beliefs. I do have a question, that will help me get more insight if you so kindly will oblige Debby 24.

When you were a JW did you feel that you should be one to go to heaven even after all your JW teachings?

I would like to explain my reasoning for asking this question. I have never heard of a person leaving JWs for finding fault in scriptures. From the many I have known, it was because they choose it on their own. This again is why I am intrigued by your post Debby.

Debby if you don't get to answer I would like to thank you so much in posting what you have. It has brought new attention to a topic I feel I need to look into some more so I can better understand it. I wish you the best.

I know this is not the place on these forums to talk about this. I feel as if I high jacked Debby's Hello Thread. I am sorry for this. Debby I am going to send you a private message.

Edit: Actually, I cannot send PMs untill my post count gets to 15. No worries.

PM: I am sure your mother and all your family want to give you kisses, the biggest hug, squeeze you, and throw you up in the air just to catch and do it all over again as you do them. They are just following God's will and his written scriptures. That takes residence over everything else even if we do not like it. Your family loves you very much. I do not doubt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Debby 24

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Great Britain
✟14,863.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hi Chadster thank you for your post as you pointed out we cannot send private messages yet . I came on this thread to share my faith with my fellow bretheren in Christ and to upbuild and encourage one another not to debate.

But as you pointed out we cannot send private messages yet till 15 posts which I will be happy to do and to discuss and answer any questions etc. but in the spirit of grace as we cant speak privately I will answer some of your question.

Re. Disfellowshipping we were not disfellowshipped we sent letters of resignation stating that we no longer recognised the watchtower society and it's governing body as Gods channel of communication.

They may view us as Apostate against their doctrine but we are not Apostates concerning our faith in Christ and Gods word the Bible. We now enjoy Christian freedom to ask for Gods enlightening spirit the right to speculate and question which was denied us as Jehovah's Witnesses. The policy of disfellowshipping is not in itself unscriptural but is one that has been weilded by organsation like an iron fist to control people for they are absolutely paranoid about debate and questions concerning their organisation.

We are sending you information and experiences of ex Jehovah's witnesses who have fallen foul of the organisations unbalanced and legalistic view of this policiy. Over thirty years of being Witnesses many of our dear brothers have been labeled Apostates simply because they have questioned a new doctrine or a policiy or procedure or new light as they like to call it. Even when that new doctrine or policy is later to be shown in error there is no apology and the accused is just labeled disloyal.

Obviously there are other instances where Witnesses have been disfellowshipped for many other different reasons but often the out come is how they have been treated during this process. Rather than restoring an individual it has led to complete abandonment and condemnation even when they have been repentant. Also we have noticed and experienced first hand the double standards of this policy if you are an elder or elders children there is a tendancy to be more lenient and things overlooked. eg One elder who covered up the transgression of his son that was by their JW rules should have been adressed that same elder sat on a judicial commitee and disfellowshipped an individual in the congregation for a similar transgression and although they were repentant no mercy was shown and they were disfellowshipped. This is our experiences but their are hundreds of other experiences on JW websites.

Re. feelings of having the heavenly hope being born and raised as a JW it was unthinkable to even suggest that you could be classed as an annointed and have a heavenly hope your hope was to be a prospective hope of life on earth, earning your salvation in obedience to the governing body. We have yet to find one scripture in the new testament concerning two hopes, 'Ephesians 4 v 4 & 5 NWT '
In fact you need to read all of pauls epistles to see that for people living in Christ today all have a heavenly hope. That is not to suggest that there will not be people living on a new earth because God is making all things new. Rev 21 v l-5
and that is the key God is making all things new not as before but all things new.

Many of the Jehovah's Witness doctrines can seem persuasive to the untrained or institutionalised but like the saying goes if you hammer a square peg into a round hole hard enough and long enough it will fit.

What has helped us over the years and the scripture that my husband and I have held dear to is Act 17 10 - 11 and 1 John 4 v 1 and Gal 1 v 6 - 12 Please read them all.

Paul warned against listening to a new teaching or a new doctrine other than Christs teaching and that of the early apostles one such teaching has been developed is the teaching of JWs in the turn of the last century that has developed up to our day.

Please do your homework investigate and search before you commit yourslef to baptism and save yourself a lot of heartache and regret.

I suggest you look up Freeminds The amazing story of Jay Walters long term annointed winess.

also Freeminds When the Kingdom melodies went off key a long term 5th or 6th generation witness who was involved in writing music and songs for the society.

Freeminds life stories and experiences of bethelites and missionaries and District and Circuit Overseers etc. and Rank and file witness.

JWRecovery site with many experiences of witnesses

Book written by Ray Franz which gives the behind scenes of the workings of the organisation who was a member of the governing body.
called CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE Info from JWN.

We still view our bretheren with affection and have no issues with any individual our feelings toward our relatives have not changed and we feel the same about them as for our family wanting to rap us up in love and throw us up in the air and catch us you clearly do not know my family and the grip of fear the organisation holds on them. The venom of hatred towards us even took us by surpise and the hurtful spiteful unchristian things said to me. There was no 'we love you and long for you to come back' Just hurtful spiteful words of hate. Another section of the family sent us a cold letter type written as if we were strangers and untouchables.

But the Lord has comforted us and has asked us to forgive them and to keep on praying for them and to show them an open door as he has done for us.

We wish you Gods direction in your search Gods blessing Debby

Upvote 0