• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Hi I am a Veteran with Asperger's(not caused me problems from service)

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did 10 years in the US military. 3 tours in Afghanistan. I was born with a curse called Asperger's syndrome. I am as intelligent as anyone else. Just my social skills suck. I did well in the military. The structured environment. I spent 3 tours in Afghanistan. 2nd tour something happened so bad I can't function anymore. I have been married twice. 2nd wife left me because I couldn't be normal. I turned to alcohol. Just so freaking lonely. Never had a close friend, always been a loner but I have attempted suicide several times over the years but God wouldn't let me. Don't call that stupid hotline or 911. I am not a nutcase. I am a born again believer in Jesus. Just trying to reach out. I am not suicidal, trying to find help from Gods Church. Sure is Veterans out there. This is not fake.

Hi bro, I also have autism. FYI Asperger's & Autism Forum is basically a sister site to this one. I can probably relate to some of your struggles. But I was never in the military or married. I just went though life keeping to myself and working a job that's easy to maintain.

Upvote 0

KristenK89

Jun 29, 2021
Port Huron, MI
✟7,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I want to say first, thank you for your service. Secondly, it must be hard to deal with such diagnosis on a daily basis but I commend you; you have made it this far. I pray for you that you continue your walk with Christ and you find the Christian Church home God wants you to be a part of.
My Husband also a veteran and if you need anything at all I will be around.

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was in the Army over 50 years ago. Things are different now. People would spit on you then. Even out of uniform, the haircut was a give away.

Aspergers can result in an analytic perspective that inhibits the seamless social interaction that many have.

As a result, one can feel like a perpetual outsider. This may result from our neurology (faster, more complex, or sensitive neurology). However, there are others who also find themselves outside the normal social currents like;

Combat veterans
Emergency room nurses
Abuse victims
Cops
Pastors
Ex-cons
Anyone forced to experience harsh realities.

Those of us on the fringe may fall short of plunging into the superficial, but we often have a capacity for deeper connections.

Upvote 0