• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Hi guys I'm gay

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In adolescence the body is bombarded with a lot of strange feeling and sensations. Your hormone level is high. As males, we have both X and Y chromosomes, which means we have both masculine and feminine hormones doing battle for our attentions. What you're feeling is normal. Most of us feel it to some extent at some time or another. We just don't act on those feelings. While we can't always help what we feel, our actions are another matter. Give yourself time to experience life and give your time to the Lord. He will not only help you grow out of those feelings but when you're ready He will introduce you to your Eve.

Reactions: LigerHeart25
Upvote 0

MorningRedSky

Feb 1, 2017
UK
✟8,049.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi I'm an 18-year-old boy (I don't consider myself a "man" yet) and I'm SSA, though I don't want to act on my desires. Is there anyone else like this?
Hi, the fact that you have come open about this matter I commend you for it. A lot of people keep quiet and pretend that they are not struggling with these feelings because they are afraid of what people will say. There is power in prayer and that is what I will continually do for you. I feel for you in this situation as I myself was molested as a child by a woman and struggled with these feelings as a child growing up. I spent much time with people who were strong in the word of God, who continually prayed for me. And it took time but i was eventually delivered from it and now am happily married to a man and have children. I no longer struggle with it and so I encourage you as well to not give up and read the Word of God, I know it can be difficult, but if you do it continuously, it will help. Ask God to help you and the Holy Spirit to assist you. Spend some time every day with God in prayer and reading the Word, it doesn't have to be for an hour. I will pray that as you draw near to God, He will draw near to you. You can be delivered from those feelings, with God there is nothing impossible. Just because you have been struggling with it for years it does not mean that it will always be the case, I am living testament to that. The evil one tried to twist my mind and destroy me but the Lord God had other plans. And it is the same with you. God is in love with you, and He is very much interested in what you are going through. It is now my project to always remember you in my prayers just as people were always praying for me during that difficult period of time.
Be encouraged, you are not alone on this journey.

Upvote 0

IridescentLight

Feb 1, 2017
Florida
✟11,554.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
In adolescence the body is bombarded with a lot of strange feeling and sensations. Your hormone level is high. As males, we have both X and Y chromosomes, which means we have both masculine and feminine hormones doing battle for our attentions. What you're feeling is normal. Most of us feel it to some extent at some time or another. We just don't act on those feelings. While we can't always help what we feel, our actions are another matter. Give yourself time to experience life and give your time to the Lord. He will not only help you grow out of those feelings but when you're ready He will introduce you to your Eve.

I hope and pray so.

Hi, the fact that you have come open about this matter I commend you for it. A lot of people keep quiet and pretend that they are not struggling with these feelings because they are afraid of what people will say. There is power in prayer and that is what I will continually do for you. I feel for you in this situation as I myself was molested as a child by a woman and struggled with these feelings as a child growing up. I spent much time with people who were strong in the word of God, who continually prayed for me. And it took time but i was eventually delivered from it and now am happily married to a man and have children. I no longer struggle with it and so I encourage you as well to not give up and read the Word of God, I know it can be difficult, but if you do it continuously, it will help. Ask God to help you and the Holy Spirit to assist you. Spend some time every day with God in prayer and reading the Word, it doesn't have to be for an hour. I will pray that as you draw near to God, He will draw near to you. You can be delivered from those feelings, with God there is nothing impossible. Just because you have been struggling with it for years it does not mean that it will always be the case, I am living testament to that. The evil one tried to twist my mind and destroy me but the Lord God had other plans. And it is the same with you. God is in love with you, and He is very much interested in what you are going through. It is now my project to always remember you in my prayers just as people were always praying for me during that difficult period of time.
Be encouraged, you are not alone on this journey.

Thank you. The thing is, I'm not open about it in real life, I feel like I should be, but I'm afraid of rejection. I believe that God allows me to go through this stuff to have a testimony and to give him glory when I'm weak. I know that there are other people in the same struggle that I am, looking for someone like they are. But I can't really share my testimony or give those people hope if I'm not open about this, at least that's what I feel. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
When I was your age I thought I was gay. Yet I have big regrets of avoiding going to church at that age. If I were you I will go to a bible based church. With that strive to build friendships especially with Christians there. I strongly encourage you to hang out with Christians. With that I also really encourage you to share your secret with your pastor or church leader.

What really helps is spending time with God every day really helps as well as reading the bible everyday.

Upvote 0

IridescentLight

Feb 1, 2017
Florida
✟11,554.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
When I was your age I thought I was gay. Yet I have big regrets of avoiding going to church at that age. If I were you I will go to a bible based church. With that strive to build friendships especially with Christians there. I strongly encourage you to hang out with Christians. With that I also really encourage you to share your secret with your pastor or church leader.

What really helps is spending time with God every day really helps as well as reading the bible everyday.

I'm fortunate to have been going to a bible-based church for all my life and I do have some friends. Actually, all of my friends go there too.

I'd like to tell people about this but I'm scared of how they'd react and if it would make people try and stop me from hanging out with my friends.

Also, you said that you thought you were gay, what made you...change your mind, I guess?

Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm fortunate to have been going to a bible-based church for all my life and I do have some friends. Actually, all of my friends go there too.

I'd like to tell people about this but I'm scared of how they'd react and if it would make people try and stop me from hanging out with my friends.

Also, you said that you thought you were gay, what made you...change your mind, I guess?
Not everyone needs to know that you suffer from same sex attraction. But at least one guy, who is a church leader or pastor. Like you I was scared on how people knew about my same sex attraction. But I let my cell group leader know about it, and he gave me great advice and became my accountability partner. He did not understand my issues but he was very helpful in my journey even though he did not understand the struggles as he is a straight man. I also shared with my pastor and what he said was very helpful. I believe I fasted before I told my cell group leader.

Well it be very helpful to read the bible everyday. Even if you do not feel like it. For me it has helped so much.

Also what is helpful is getting a copy of Joe Dallas book "Desires in Conflict".

For me if I feel tempted I pray. Prayer is so important in a Christian life. Pray even if you are not tempted.

Also what helps so much is avoid inappropriate content at all costs. Avoid going to places and websites where you are likely to fall into sin. Install a filter on your computer to prevent inappropriate content helps so much as I even used to have a inappropriate content addiction, but now I no longer an addict. Also avoid as much as possible on pictures that can be tempting but even so are not inappropriate contentographic such as guys in swimsuits, briefs, etc.

Also counselling can help as well. I advise you to seek an Christian counselor. I did and it did help as well.

What is also really helpful is writing a journal as well. It has helped me too.

Also I see Jesus as the most perfect man in my life. No other men can match that. He will also be there for me no matter what. He truly loves me just as he truly loves you.

I am praying for you.

Reactions: ericro
Upvote 0

IridescentLight

Feb 1, 2017
Florida
✟11,554.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Not everyone needs to know that you suffer from same sex attraction. But at least one guy, who is a church leader or pastor. Like you I was scared on how people knew about my same sex attraction. But I let my cell group leader know about it, and he gave me great advice and became my accountability partner. He did not understand my issues but he was very helpful in my journey even though he did not understand the struggles as he is a straight man. I also shared with my pastor and what he said was very helpful. I believe I fasted before I told my cell group leader.

Well it be very helpful to read the bible everyday. Even if you do not feel like it. For me it has helped so much.

Also what is helpful is getting a copy of Joe Dallas book "Desires in Conflict".

For me if I feel tempted I pray. Prayer is so important in a Christian life. Pray even if you are not tempted.

Also what helps so much is avoid inappropriate content at all costs. Avoid going to places and websites where you are likely to fall into sin. Install a filter on your computer to prevent inappropriate content helps so much as I even used to have a inappropriate content addiction, but now I no longer an addict. Also avoid as much as possible on pictures that can be tempting but even so are not inappropriate contentographic such as guys in swimsuits, briefs, etc.

Also counselling can help as well. I advise you to seek an Christian counselor. I did and it did help as well.

What is also really helpful is writing a journal as well. It has helped me too.

Also I see Jesus as the most perfect man in my life. No other men can match that. He will also be there for me no matter what. He truly loves me just as he truly loves you.

I am praying for you.

Thanks for the prayers. I don't know why, but I don't think I pray enough or read my bible enough, both of which I starting to do more of every day.

It's funny you mentioned a counselor, sometimes I feel like I need one. I get extreme feelings of sadness and loneliness sometimes, maybe often, I'm not sure how to classify it. But it makes me lash out at everything and makes me feel worthless, like no one wants or cares about me, even though I know that that isn't true...I'm not sure what to do about that.

I stopped watching inappropriate contentography around a year ago (I was caught by my mother), which is a blessing even though I hated it when it started but avoiding looking at guys in that way is tougher than I thought it would be.

I think I'll get a journal, I enjoy writing and I think it'll help, thanks for the suggestion.

Again, thanks for praying for me.

• Agree
Reactions: dude99
Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the prayers. I don't know why, but I don't think I pray enough or read my bible enough, both of which I starting to do more of every day.

It's funny you mentioned a counselor, sometimes I feel like I need one. I get extreme feelings of sadness and loneliness sometimes, maybe often, I'm not sure how to classify it. But it makes me lash out at everything and makes me feel worthless, like no one wants or cares about me, even though I know that that isn't true...I'm not sure what to do about that.

I stopped watching inappropriate contentography around a year ago (I was caught by my mother), which is a blessing even though I hated it when it started but avoiding looking at guys in that way is tougher than I thought it would be.

I think I'll get a journal, I enjoy writing and I think it'll help, thanks for the suggestion.

Again, thanks for praying for me.
Hi there
Well that is fantastic you stopped watching inappropriate contentography a year ago.

Well a journal be great, and no one has to look at it. I seen others that have created journals and when they look back at it it has helped them in their journey as a Christian.

A counselor will be very benefit to you. I pray you be able to get a great one.

Reading the bible regularly helps so much. My mind is much more focused on the Lord when I read the bible regularly.

Praying for you and God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
@IridescentLight

Thanks for posting and I'm glad you're here! :) Sexual struggles are just that, whether they be for the same sex or the opposite sex, struggles. Know that heterosexual Christians struggle just like you do, so please don't feel like just because you have a same-sex attraction that some how your sin is worse than theirs. All sin is sin...I sin and you sin, but I hope you find peace and companionship in Christ, who was sent to take away the sins of those who would hear His Voice (John 6). Blessings brother!

Upvote 0

Joe 73

Jul 30, 2017
Michigan
✟36,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi I'm an 18-year-old boy (I don't consider myself a "man" yet) and I'm SSA, though I don't want to act on my desires. Is there anyone else like this?

I have went through this and am still facing some issues related to it. I'm 19. I didn't start dealing with any of my problems with inappropriate content and masturbation and homosexual feelings since puberty until I was 18 and 1/2 I just pretended none of it was there.
I am tired of writing some stuff over and over again, so here is a reply I wrote with links to a great book, and a summary of my experience: 23 yr. old with an LGBT dilemma, it's complex and advice is needed

There is usually a cause, and you can probably change(maybe not totally, but enough)

Start considering yourself a man. It's in your biology. Maybe you didn't mature as quickly, whatever. Many adults still act like children. There is no magic moment when you grow up. If there is, it might be when you stop trying to fullfill others expectations of yourself, and follow the deep desires of your heart. But you have to do that every day, so, nothing magical.

I know it can be tough to let go of a childhood that did not go as you hoped. its tempting to pretend it is not over. but It has already happened. sometimes that can be devestatiing, as it was for me.
Of course not everything is over. You just can't change the past.

I hope God gives you courage faith, and understanding.

Joe

Ps: It sounds like I am on the other side of my problems, but no. I have faced some, but everyday is challenging in its own way. I feel lonely, I don't have any friends close enough to talk about deep stuff. Its hard work dealing with problems. it makes it easier to allow those old temptations into my mind. I get confused about my faith, because I'm trying to understand how the soul and free will, fit together with the mind and emotions. I need support as well. Probably real life support is better than internet support. Part of the reason I am on the internet is because I am so desperate to do something meaningful, and my life feels so empty. It is a challenge. SSA is one challenge but there are many more. are lives are a struggle. I would appreciate prayers as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Greg Logan
Upvote 0

Young86

May 26, 2018
Serbia
✟8,257.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I struggle with homosexuality for years. Please if someone wants to talk with me, we can share the burden together. <staff edit>
I learned a lot but I can't accept some things, I need <staff edit> people to discuss it together, women and men. I will tell you all what I learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ForeverRoyal87

Aug 5, 2018
Missouri
✟7,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You're not "gay" like you describe in your post title. Being gay is choosing to live that lifestyle. Having ssa is different than being gay. You say you don't want to give in, so does it comfort you that you are not in fact gay?

Upvote 0