Alabama
✟9,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi there. I have a history of being a believer within one Christian denomination or another and I finished as an Orthodox Christian. Now (to make a long story short) after a period of strong agnosticism and nihilism I acknowledge the existence of God. I also still have an interest (perhaps obsession) in Christianity. I have some objections to the Faith that I would like to toss around the forum and get some feed back on. An introduction shouldn't be too terribly long, so I suppose I'll end this here. See you around the forum!

TheGoodLight

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
PA
✟412,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Howdy howdy, welcome back (been there, done there)! Going off of username, was Stoicism one of the places you turned to? (I've done a fair share of research on it myself. Quite the pantheistic bunch, those ancients were.)

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there. I have a history of being a believer within one Christian denomination or another and I finished as an Orthodox Christian. Now (to make a long story short) after a period of strong agnosticism and nihilism I acknowledge the existence of God. I also still have an interest (perhaps obsession) in Christianity. I have some objections to the Faith that I would like to toss around the forum and get some feed back on. An introduction shouldn't be too terribly long, so I suppose I'll end this here. See you around the forum!
Great! Welcome!

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2020
Alabama
✟9,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Howdy howdy, welcome back (been there, done there)! Going off of username, was Stoicism one of the places you turned to? (I've done a fair share of research on it myself. Quite the pantheistic bunch, those ancients were.)

For my questions about the existence of God I turned to present-day philosophers to see if there were any arguments for God's existence that weren't absolutely worthless. Because I was studying in a rare state (that is, with pure objectivity) I came away stunned and satisfied with the arguments. I suppose in this case I would be classified as a classical theist, although it really didn't change my life that much.
I turned to Stoicism for moral reasons and to adjust my thinking to help me live a little bit more sane. I've been studying it longer than I've been practicing it. Most of the time I think its safe to say that Epictetus would be so disappointed in my behavior :)
I still struggle with nihilism, but now its a burden and a struggle, not a belief.

After I studied about the existence of God, I read a few pretty big books on Jesus and historical arguments for his resurrection, but I just couldn't get "there." They were compelling arguments, I had no objections, but I still couldn't get there. Maybe it's because I couldn't study it with pure objectivity as I did while studying philosophical arguments for God's existence. Anyway, eventually I did think of some objections about that that I'll bring up in the forums.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
G'day and welcome. :) You will want to make questions in a different area from Intros. Partly because more people will notice but generally because the moderators prefer it.
Maybe post in Exploring Christianity Exploring Christianity

Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello SStoic.
Welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

337823_9b7ae3c1c36bdc5c9e0a46ba5a3f3eb7.gif

95a28b8a764646932b8573ada00fa14e.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums