hi, am deconstructing from toxic religion , looking to find some "nonreligious" christians on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I mean, did anyone see where I thanked him for catching that and corrected it? Why no acknowledgement of that? All are free to give advice here but we can’t fight here.

My advice is for anyone in this discussion to examine their personal attitudes toward men and support their arguments with Scripture. According to the forum rules, that's what supposed to happen.

Here are verses to consider...

Leviticus 19:17-18, "You must not take vengeance or bear a grudge against any of your people, but you must love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord."

Galatians 5:14, "For the whole law can be summed up in a single commandment, namely, “You must love your neighbor as yourself.”

Reactions: messianist
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My advice is for anyone in this discussion to examine their personal attitudes toward men and support their arguments with Scripture. According to the forum rules, that's what supposed to happen.

Here are two verses to consider...

Leviticus 19:18, "You must not take vengeance or bear a grudge against any of your people, but you must love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord."

Galatians 5:14, "For the whole law can be summed up in a single commandment, namely, “You must love your neighbor as yourself.”
Thank you.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was raised in a Christian environment. But religion wasn't heavy handed. We weren't subjected to fire and brimstone sermons at church or in our home. There were no debates and arguments for differences in opinion or belief. Religion wasn't weaponized.

I'm not accustomed to offense over opinions or dictates to listen or follow someone's lead. God didn't brainwash me into following Him. He doesn't browbeat or use heavy handed tactics to bring me in line.

Over time I stripped away a lot of excesses and pursued a simplistic faith. I'm not very religious. I appreciate certain elements. But I value harmony and togetherness in equal measure. I no longer felt a corporate setting met my needs. I needed something quiet and intimate. That's the direction I've taken.

I want to gather with a group of like-minded believers. We'd fellowship over tasty and morsels and share our faith and support one another. I've built something like this in the past. There were 50 of us. We were close friends. Something along those lines would be ideal.

~Bella

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Many men feel emasculated. Being king of the hill matters more than ever. Getting them to admit their emotions may play a part in their insistence on ruling is difficult. They can't acknowledge their need to feel important, respected, etc.

~Bella

This is not advice. It is simply criticism of men.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟248,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi, am deconstructing from a very toxic background. strict evangelical fundie parents who were abusive. i have come nback to God and been saved since meeeting a Jesus who simply required me to put my trust in Him not my works or anything else for salvation.

i now go to an easy going small church which is vry spirit filled- people being saved and set free and healed- i enjoy it very much and finding out God is not the angry wrath filled ogre but a good goood father who loves His born again children and holds them secure in His love and patiently allows them to work out tjhe salvation He has given them.

i do take communion at church when i can, and am reading Acts of the apostles at the moment. been saved since 2006 and set free from leglalism, fear of hell etc

i battle mental health issues (OCD/scrupulsoity type, BPD, CPTSD eating issues) and physical disabilities and health conditions. i find actual religion hard- i want the kidn of faith which flows from my postion of security in Jesus. i beleive evry strongly in identity teachings (being the righteousness of Christ and holy in Him) and i find most mainstream religion difficult because they seem to condemn me for not being spiritual enough

i have hobbies i practice psychology and psychotherapy. i believe in emotional wellbeing. i dont cover my hair, eat kosher, i dont really keep any rules on anything and i have no interest in politics, "truther" theories, or anything. a lot of christians think am not spiritual enough or that am lukewarm. i dont tithe but i give money new teastament style, and share what i have when i can. i do speak in tongues and do evangelise. i definitely am born again my testimony proves it, but i just want to a faith which isn't exhausting, draining or makes me feel fukll of fear or trapped.

are there any other christians out there who hate all the trappings and just want a simple gospel with no plastic on it??

i dont believe that only 2% christins go to heaven or that we meant tp be sinless before we die. i think we are meant to sin less, as we walk with Jesus. but perfect? nah. we do our best but only jESUS ever met that standard. i fo go dowrks because Jesus saved me. i dont do them to be saved. i dont believe msot modern preachers who say that most christians today aren't saved or loved God enough. that is negative things and i want to concentrate on how Jesus love can empower me to meet the needs of those around me

i sometimes feel i am on a journey which few understand. i dont want ot go round exhausting myself by naming and claiming it, anointing evrything with oil to drive demons away. i just want to rest in Jesus and Him shpow me what to do.

i dont believe in guilt, regrets etc the past is the past. i harmed a lot of people in my past, innocent ones, but i know i have been forgiven as Bible says if we confess our sins to God we can be forgiven.... i have just moved on, made new friends, cut ties with the past.

i have very modern christian ideas eg i dont believe our hearts are wicked, once we born again, we have Jesus in our hearts, He gives us dreams, we can follow them as long sas we are discerning... our hearts arent perfect but we are good.

i think christian life is just about loving Jesus, serving Jeuss, preaching the gospel, healing the sick, driving out demons etc the rest i have not much time for.

oh and yes i listen to any Christian music that ministers to my soul, read anything Christian or not that helps me, i love nay good music really, secualr or christian. i think it is pointless givng things up unless they really are sinful or unhelpful.

i am quite feminist- i believe women can speak in church etc i am very modern and liberal in my views which offend some christians but i expect Jesus had very similar views only He so much better at disagreeing kindly with others (am not there yet, but the Holy Spriit is working in me on that)

Is there anyone out ther elike me or am i in this alone somehow??? i do feel it sometimes. am ok as long as i in my church, where my views are mostly accepted. but if i fellowship with christians outside of my church, i feel very aalone and start to doubtmy faith as i am not considered holy enough or "conservative enough" to be truly saved.

it really hurts sometimes oh and i also read Joyce Meyer, Graham Cooke, Henri Nouwen. a lot of whom are regded as heretics or new age or whatever. whoich doesnt bother me in the slightest. God is bigger than all those things. i wil say that i dont believe in things like yoga, tarot cards, ouija or any witchraft. i just dont think psychology, motivational speakers etc are in that caetgory and i like my faith to be practical "how do i apply thi sto my life" not a long lsit of rules or restrcitions.

anyone out there like me? at all?

Grace Evangelical Society might be of use to you.
Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi, am deconstructing from a very toxic background. strict evangelical fundie parents who were abusive. i have come nback to God and been saved since meeeting a Jesus who simply required me to put my trust in Him not my works or anything else for salvation.

i now go to an easy going small church which is vry spirit filled- people being saved and set free and healed- i enjoy it very much and finding out God is not the angry wrath filled ogre but a good goood father who loves His born again children and holds them secure in His love and patiently allows them to work out tjhe salvation He has given them.

i do take communion at church when i can, and am reading Acts of the apostles at the moment. been saved since 2006 and set free from leglalism, fear of hell etc

i battle mental health issues (OCD/scrupulsoity type, BPD, CPTSD eating issues) and physical disabilities and health conditions. i find actual religion hard- i want the kidn of faith which flows from my postion of security in Jesus. i beleive evry strongly in identity teachings (being the righteousness of Christ and holy in Him) and i find most mainstream religion difficult because they seem to condemn me for not being spiritual enough

i have hobbies i practice psychology and psychotherapy. i believe in emotional wellbeing. i dont cover my hair, eat kosher, i dont really keep any rules on anything and i have no interest in politics, "truther" theories, or anything. a lot of christians think am not spiritual enough or that am lukewarm. i dont tithe but i give money new teastament style, and share what i have when i can. i do speak in tongues and do evangelise. i definitely am born again my testimony proves it, but i just want to a faith which isn't exhausting, draining or makes me feel fukll of fear or trapped.

are there any other christians out there who hate all the trappings and just want a simple gospel with no plastic on it??

i dont believe that only 2% christins go to heaven or that we meant tp be sinless before we die. i think we are meant to sin less, as we walk with Jesus. but perfect? nah. we do our best but only jESUS ever met that standard. i fo go dowrks because Jesus saved me. i dont do them to be saved. i dont believe msot modern preachers who say that most christians today aren't saved or loved God enough. that is negative things and i want to concentrate on how Jesus love can empower me to meet the needs of those around me

i sometimes feel i am on a journey which few understand. i dont want ot go round exhausting myself by naming and claiming it, anointing evrything with oil to drive demons away. i just want to rest in Jesus and Him shpow me what to do.

i dont believe in guilt, regrets etc the past is the past. i harmed a lot of people in my past, innocent ones, but i know i have been forgiven as Bible says if we confess our sins to God we can be forgiven.... i have just moved on, made new friends, cut ties with the past.

i have very modern christian ideas eg i dont believe our hearts are wicked, once we born again, we have Jesus in our hearts, He gives us dreams, we can follow them as long sas we are discerning... our hearts arent perfect but we are good.

i think christian life is just about loving Jesus, serving Jeuss, preaching the gospel, healing the sick, driving out demons etc the rest i have not much time for.

oh and yes i listen to any Christian music that ministers to my soul, read anything Christian or not that helps me, i love nay good music really, secualr or christian. i think it is pointless givng things up unless they really are sinful or unhelpful.

i am quite feminist- i believe women can speak in church etc i am very modern and liberal in my views which offend some christians but i expect Jesus had very similar views only He so much better at disagreeing kindly with others (am not there yet, but the Holy Spriit is working in me on that)

Is there anyone out ther elike me or am i in this alone somehow??? i do feel it sometimes. am ok as long as i in my church, where my views are mostly accepted. but if i fellowship with christians outside of my church, i feel very aalone and start to doubtmy faith as i am not considered holy enough or "conservative enough" to be truly saved.

it really hurts sometimes oh and i also read Joyce Meyer, Graham Cooke, Henri Nouwen. a lot of whom are regded as heretics or new age or whatever. whoich doesnt bother me in the slightest. God is bigger than all those things. i wil say that i dont believe in things like yoga, tarot cards, ouija or any witchraft. i just dont think psychology, motivational speakers etc are in that caetgory and i like my faith to be practical "how do i apply thi sto my life" not a long lsit of rules or restrcitions.

I recall meeting a number of people like that in the emergent church movement.

Since my perception has always been bent towards the spiritual and non-spiritual invisible, it wasn't a good fit. But you aren't alone for sure.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My faith is like that, but I still consider myself religious. Of course, I don't consider "religion" to be confined to a works-based system by which God's favor is earned, either.

i have no interest in politics, "truther" theories, or anything.
Good. It's refreshing.

a lot of christians think am not spiritual enough or that am lukewarm.
Most Christians I have spoken to who use the word "lukewarm" to describe the church also include themselves in that, which I hope gives some perspective. The way I look at myself and my walk is, God had mercy on me, knowing what I have done and will do in the future, and I do not understand why. He gave me spiritual life, the unshakable promise of eternal life, and an identity to live up to. I owe him my life, and greater obedience so that I can honor him. I can always do better.

i definitely am born again my testimony proves it, but i just want to a faith which isn't exhausting, draining or makes me feel fukll of fear or trapped.
For me, believing and internalizing his New Testament promises gave me a strong faith that allows me to rest in him. Feeling trapped is from the devil, and feeling fearful is going to be from the devil most of the time. A fear that moves you away from sin I think is a legitimate tool, but a fear that shouts at you from the inside just for living your daily life and that crushes you is not going to be from God. God will rebuke us and he will challenge us, but he's not a slave-driver toward us.

i fo go dowrks because Jesus saved me. i dont do them to be saved.
I'm not sure what you mean here?

i dont believe msot modern preachers who say that most christians today aren't saved or loved God enough.
I'm not sure that most modern preachers say that. There are a lot of preachers out there, I only have the time and energy to listen to a handful.

i dont want ot go round exhausting myself by naming and claiming it, anointing evrything with oil to drive demons away.
Then don't. If people are obsessed with demons, they'll treat everything as though it has a demon, even if there's no demon there. Demons don't deserve that kind of attention, and you have better things to do with your time.

Not disputing God's forgiveness here, but if the opportunity arises, you may need to apologize to the people you have hurt, if they would not be harmed further by the apology under the circumstances.

The new person God makes in us is good. Reflecting on the potential harm that my sins could cause if I allow them to fully grow though, leads me to acknowledge that I still need Jesus every single day.

I think you'll see there's more to it as you grow. Before the pandemic started, I anchored myself with regular service to those in need through my church. It's good for chipping away at selfishness.

Agreed.

Well, you need to be able to handle disagreements with grace. If you can do that, you can not only better represent Jesus, but learn things you didn't know.

I haven't heard of Graham Cooke or Henri Nouwen. I have heard of Joyce Meyer, while I don't pay too much attention to her, she seems to embrace the so-called prosperity gospel. I unequivocally condemn that message, since it proclaims wealth as a sign of living right with God, which Jesus and Paul very clearly taught against. And even worse, when people don't get the money or the physical healing that they've been wanting, they're told that they don't have enough faith to get it, or have too much sin* to get it, so it kicks them when they are down. It encourages emotionalism, and putting words in God's mouth concerning his promises, and it has people chasing money or healing if they can just be religious enough (though they may not use the word "religious"). People who are caught up in that can easily be drained, exhausted, told they are not spiritual enough, and conned by predators who call themselves teachers - which sounds like what you want to get away from. Stay away from so-called prosperity teaching.

* Yes, sin can block blessing. But so many people were not close to perfect when Jesus healed them and called them that I cannot believe that we must always be perfect to receive something good from God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The topic is toxic religion not the defense of men. If you want to discuss the issue start a thread. :)

~Bella

I haven't seen much about recovery from toxic religion, which was the original topic.

I have no reason to start a discussion about the defense of men, nor do I see a purpose of one that attacks men.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In John 14:27 Jesus says “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage."

I have found over the years that the Holy Spirit that dwells in me gives me spiritual peace.

I started my time as a Christian in a Pentecostal church that was as critical and legalistic as I could ever imagine. It was nothing but judgement of us "backsliders" that didn't live up to the pastor's version of Old Testament law.

Then I left and joined an independent charismatic church and found a whole new world of gentle, caring Christians who loved the Lord and each other.

Since that time I have known in my spirit that I am loved by God. That is a wonderful feeling that I wish all Christians felt. 1 John 4:19 says, "We love because he loved us first."

My prayer is that you will find this spiritual peace and happiness.
It's not dependent on people, especially those who try to dominate you under the guise of "religion". You will find it if you seek out others who love God with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength and love their neighbors (including you!) as themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hello WrappedupinHisLove3 and hope you will feel welcome here.
What you will find on these forums is a large number of Christians from different social and theological backgrounds and, from time to time, will see all kinds of things from a different perspective. Yet we are all seeking to serve and worship Jesus Christ.
Like you, I tend to have an open mind on a wide variety of topics. I very much see our Christian lives as a journey and none of us have yet reached the destination - there's always much more to learn and discover about God, about our world and the people who live in it. I don't have all of the answers, and I'm OK with that. I'm happy to keep my "learner" badge.
I'm quite broad when it comes to my worship style, but my preference is for more traditional and liturgical forms of worship.
Ultimately, the way I see it, we are all unique and special before God. As Christians who have placed our faith in Christ, our final destination will be the same, but our individual journeys will be different. May the Lord bless you on your journey with Him and hope you will find fellowship and friendship with people here who will encourage you in your faith.

Upvote 0

Jamie Chen

Apr 11, 2020
Angleton
✟7,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

My sister, I know your pain. This is exactly how my older sister and I grew up. Heavy on legalism and very light on forgiveness and mercy. This is one of the reasons my older sister said screw it and ran and subsequently turned into a holy terror.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟291,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think where you are is great! Jesus loves you and resting in Gods love is the best place to be.

I have spent many years deconstructing from a spiritually abusive environment and it has been a wonderful journey of getting to know the God who loves His kids very much. It is good to see you are aware of being kind to yourself as you walk through all the issues. A bruised reed He will not break is what scripture says. I love that about God - I needed that about God very much as I was coming out of and healing from toxic spirituality, its important to remember that is who God is He is very gentle where we are hurt. I think how you're approaching things is just fine. Good on you. I love your user name. Wrapped in Gods Love - amen!

• Agree
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Have you read Wounded Healer by Henri Nouwen?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have no reason to start a discussion about the defense of men, nor do I see a purpose of one that attacks men.

We responded to the OPs remarks about an experience she had on a different thread. I chimed in because I was on thread with her.

As @Michie acknowledged, debate is not permitted in this forum. If you disagree with our comments that's fine. But you can't debate them. That's the rule.

~Bella

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In your original post you said, "i have hobbies i practice psychology and psychotherapy. i believe in emotional wellbeing. i dont cover my hair, eat kosher, i dont really keep any rules on anything and i have no interest in politics, "truther" theories, or anything. a lot of christians think am not spiritual enough or that am lukewarm. i dont tithe but i give money new teastament style, and share what i have when i can. i do speak in tongues and do evangelise. i definitely am born again my testimony proves it, but i just want to a faith which isn't exhausting, draining or makes me feel fukll of fear or trapped."

It seems to me that you are 100% on the right track. Keep on doing what you're doing and do not pay attention to those who judge you or those who judge people by their gender.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We responded to the OPs remarks about an experience she had on a different thread. I chimed in because I was on thread with her.

As @Michie acknowledged, debate is not permitted in this forum. If you disagree with our comments that's fine. But you can't debate them. That's the rule.

~Bella

And the difference between posted disagreement and debate is what?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.