hi, am deconstructing from toxic religion , looking to find some "nonreligious" christians on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like we have a lot in common although I’m in the liturgical & sacramental crowd but I think our current political situation here in the U.S. anyway has exasperated the extremes in perspectives.

Here are a couple of my favorite relevant scriptures that help mold my paradigm.

Ephesians 4:15 speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ,

John 4:24 “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”

am actually not American. i do not follow US politics. i am not keen on american christianity. to legalistic for me. sorry if that isbeing offensive. it seeped over to the evangelical funei churches in Britain and my childhood was like Westboro Baptist Church.....so i turned my back on al that. i love US as a nation a nd her people but i jsut cannot do the religious thing.

thanks for the scriptures though. bless you

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Tempura, you sound very like me. i have an oversensitive conscience and feel am in torment if i think about any deep religion beyond Jesus Loves Me This I Know. the tears are pouring down my face now as i read this because i jsut have had enough....enough tof trying to be good enough.... to satisy some arbitrary standard.

One of the best things I consider to have happened to me, was the moment of total defeat. I knew then, for certain, that I "can't". I can't. I've been slowly learning to get out of self-dependence. For someone like me, self-reliance is poison. When I can go to to the cross, in my defeat, with nothing to give back, then I finally feel whole.

But feelings come and go. I treasure the few moments of clarity and peace I've had, and I decide to have faith when my feelings tell me I can't. I can also decide that it's not about my strength with which I grasp Christ, it's about Christ and His strength. My strength simply doesn't matter, it's never enough. His strength matters, and I can leave everything to Him, no matter how much my rotten flesh still wants to drag me down. I can choose peace. It's a battle I'm familiar with. I can trust Him to be victorious, even if I find myself defeated. We only know in part, we only prophesy in part, but love is forever, and there is no love greater than God's love.

Christ be with you sister. And He will.

• Friendly
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where did Jesus say we must live with anyone that is abusive? That’s ridiculous.
My mum married an abusive man. think Dave Pelzer;s mother kind of thing. and she was not allowed to leave him because the church forbids leaving due to mental or physical abuse. i wont marry because if the guy turns abusive acording to Jesus i can never leave. this is wht makes me feel that giving up on God for ever. that an dthe constant guilt and torment of my thoughts for never being holy enough

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where did Jesus say we must live with anyone that is abusive? That’s ridiculous.

i was discussing it in another forum and was told by someone who was married to an abuser that we have to endure suffering as Jesus did and the disciples were persecuted for their faith so it a sin to leave. also my mum';s church said divorce a sin except for infidelity.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i was discussing it in another forum and was told by someone who was married to an abuser that we have to endure suffering as Jesus did and the disciples were persecuted for their faith so it a sin to leave. also my mum';s church said divorce a sin except for infidelity.
So it’s a church dogma more or less. That’s insane. :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One of the best things I consider to have happened to me, was the moment of total defeat. I knew then, for certain, that I "can't". I can't. I've been slowly learning to get out of self-dependence. For someone like me, self-reliance is poison. When I can go to to the cross, in my defeat, with nothing to give back, then I finally feel whole.

But feelings come and go. I treasure the few moments of clarity and peace I've had, and I decide to have faith when my feelings tell me I can't. I can also decide that it's not about my strength with which I grasp Christ, it's about Christ and His strength. My strength simply doesn't matter, it's never enough. His strength matters, and I can leave everything to Him, no matter how much my rotten flesh still wants to drag me down. I can choose peace. It's a battle I'm familiar with. I can trust Him to be victorious, even if I find myself defeated. We only know in part, we only prophesy in part, but love is forever, and there is no love greater than God's love.

Christ be with you sister. And He will.

thank you. i think i worry tha if i surrender completley to God He will place me back in a horrible situation again. and i cant go through that again. so i rejected God';s call for me as a female. i hate the idea of being pregnant. i pray to God i will be unable to. i just cannot. and marriage, i just cannot . not for me....i have no interest in men. i just dont have those feelings. i wasnt made that way...

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
after years of so much torment i was starting to believe this Jesus was a nice uy who was going to accept me because i am saved and was stsarign to make progress in my walk with God now i find maybe that not enough.....that we have to DO something to make us accetable to Him. and i just cannot.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So it’s a church dogma more or less. That’s insane. :eek:

There were questionable comments on the thread. I was chided for failing to embrace the person's correction. It was heavy on condemnation and suffering. Be under a man's authority and so on.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
thta kind of belief is not for me. it may be God's view but i want somethign different for my life. i am a very lukewarm christian and dont care much for holy things an di justhtink it time to put the little flame out and try something new. maybe something simialrto chrisatinity but not as demanding?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
anyone out there like me?

Yes but with one a few big exceptions.

1) I don't equate religion with legalism. Or equate legalism with ritualism and other kind of Christian tradition etc. in going on my own spiritual journey I found some of the most inspiring Christianity actually comes from the old historic stuff, and that their are a lot of paradoxes and ironies in life. Besides this if you read the book of James it will point out in one verse or two that Christianity is a religion (in spite of contemporary slogans that make having a personal relationship with Christ antithetical to religion)

2) I've been involved "Postmodern" Christianity as well and am very acquainted with Deconstruction. But that sort of thing cuts both way (like in my first point). I actually believe many modern Christians don't really get the context of the Bible, how Christians from earlier times believed etc.

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
thank you. i think i worry tha if i surrender completley to God He will place me back in a horrible situation again. and i cant go through that again. so i rejected God';s call for me as a female. i hate the idea of being pregnant. i pray to God i will be unable to. i just cannot. and marriage, i just cannot . not for me....i have no interest in men. i just dont have those feelings. i wasnt made that way...

I think you still fear God in an unhealthy way, as if you think you're just a pawn to Him and that there is no real love involved, or that He doesn't know what's best for you. Makes sense, if one grows in fear, it can be hard to shake off such thoughts. But I don't believe God is like that, at all. He is good at making us surrender. If it happens, bitterness won't be the result, bitterness and senseless fear will be some of the things that get thrown away. No fear. It's not about bondage.

The world is already populated. That mission has been accomplished. Having children is optional, it's not a requirement. Same with marriage. Not everyone needs to marry. I haven't married either, and I have no children. I'm not a woman, but last time I check these things require a man as well. We're not all marriage types, God fully knows this. Christ Himself said it, marriage is not for everyone. No reason to stress over it.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes but with one a few big exceptions.

1) I don't equate religion with legalism. Or equate legalism with ritualism and other kind of Christian tradition etc. in going on my own spiritual journey I found some of the most inspiring Christianity actually comes from the old historic stuff, and that their are a lot of paradoxes and ironies in life.

2) I've been involved "Postmodern" Christianity as well and am very acquainted with Deconstruction. But that sort of thing cuts both way (like in my first point). I actually believe many modern Christians don't really get the context of the Bible, how Christians from earlier times believed etc.

well th eonly gospel i really want is for jesus to accpet me and save me and bring me joy in serving him..... simple happy lifeof serving him with no fear of hell etc

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ve noticed this big kick all the sudden on the board of being under a man’s thumb which is a complete misinterpretation of Scripture. A man is to love his wife as Christ loves the Church. Sacrificing everything for her. This does not include bossing, abuse of her and the children with verbal and mental abuse. Men are not the gods of marriage. It’s a completely untrue and cult like mentality. This mentality leaves out so much in Scripture that it twists it all. If this was the mentality you were exposed to under the guise of Christianity...well, that’s not Christianity. That’s an aberration and cult like. Who would not want to separated from that sickness!

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think you still fear God in an unhealthy way, as if you think you're just a pawn to Him and that there is no real love involved, or that He doesn't know what's best for you. Makes sense, if one grows in fear, it can be hard to shake off such thoughts. But I don't believe God is like that, at all. He is good at making us surrender. If it happens, bitterness won't be the result, bitterness and senseless fear will be some of the things that get thrown away. No fear. It's not about bondage.

The world is already populated. That mission has been accomplished. Having children is optional, it's not a requirement. Same with marriage. Not everyone needs to marry. I haven't married either, and I have no children. I'm not a woman, but last time I check these things require a man as well. We're not all marriage types, God fully knows this. Christ Himself said it, marriage is not for everyone. No reason to stress over it.

thanks.... i just thought i was on right path with God by believing in saved by faith in grace alone, that made me happy, i found i obeyed God because i wanted to and that was good but then i realised i had to do some serious study of my faith an dwhat bible says and whn i do tht i become unglued.....becaus eit takes me form that simple path,. suddnely i have to worry if am really saved or am i doing enough to please Him, what about this law, theis rule etc?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’ve noticed this big kick all the sudden on the board of being under a man’s thumb which is a complete misinterpretation of Scripture. A man is to love his wife as Christ loves the Church. Sacrificing everything for her. This does not include bossing, abuse of her and the children with verbal and mental abuse. Men are not the gods of marriage. It’s a completely untrue and cult like mentality. This mentality leaves out so much in Scripture that it twists it all. If this was the mentality you were exposed to under the guise of Christianity...well, that’s not Christianity. That’s an aberration and cult like. Who would not want to separated from that sickness!

i know, it is weird isn't it.....i am seeing a psychotherapist (yeahi know, new age and all that, but the pills odnt work anymore and am facing being sectioned if i dont see them etc) he a christian priest and he told me to get rid of nay teachng tht wasnt just baout gods grace and mercy ane be kind to myself. and it worked for a long time and i got well almost and i was so happy and grew real spiritual fruit. then i found these testimonies online fo people dying and going to hell because of small sins like owing money on a mortgage or something like wearing a wedding ring or earrings and i jsut felt so hopeless...like why do i bother? it never enough????? and all these rules like we have to give up therapy, perfume, lovely clothes etc all things considered new age or wrong and i feel guilt for not tithing but i have issues because if i tithe i go into debt...i get panicky about that. i was declared insolvent when i was younger ad lost everything, pretty much, amnot going through that again

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Be prepared that the path you are on will at some time may change. And that you yourself may change.
well th eonly gospel i really want is for jesus to accpet me and save me and bring me joy in serving him..... simple happy lifeof serving him with no fear of hell etc

There is that. But there also are trials, and taking up your cross daily. I wish you the best.

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i know, it is weird isn't it.....i am seeing a psychotherapist (yeahi know, new age and all that, but the pills odnt work anymore and am facing being sectioned if i dont see them etc) he a christian priest and he told me to get rid of nay teachng tht wasnt just baout gods grace and mercy ane be kind to myself. and it worked for a long time and i got well almost and i was so happy and grew real spiritual fruit. then i found these testimonies online fo people dying and going to hell because of small sins like owing money on a mortgage or something like wearing a wedding ring or earrings and i jsut felt so hopeless...like why do i bother? it never enough????? and all these rules like we have to give up therapy, perfume, lovely clothes etc all things considered new age or wrong and i feel guilt for not tithing but i have issues because if i tithe i go into debt...i get panicky about that. i was declared insolvent when i was younger ad lost everything, pretty much, amnot going through that again
It really does sound like you were exposed to a cult that touted their own version of Christianity. Counterfeit. Do not worry about those that try to browbeat you under the guise of Christianity. It’s false.

• Agree
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve noticed this big kick all the sudden on the board of being under a man’s thumb which is a complete misinterpretation of Scripture.

There is a noticeable increase in aggression in our culture. I don't know if isolation made it worse.

~Bella

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.