Hi all! I'm back and I have a few questions!

JBMM

Islander
Apr 16, 2009
✟28,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Hi everyone! I haven't been on in a very long time! I am now living on my own in an apartment in the city of Charlottetown, PEI Canada. I am going to start going to church more regularly.

So i have a few questions about the faith.

First, is it okay if I read Stephen King novels?
Second, can I play video games like Fallout 3 or GTA 5?
Third, what kind of music should I avoid? (I have stopped listening to Marilyn Manson and the like)
Fourth, what kind of music should I embrace? (I do like some Skillet and Red and Demon Hunter)
Fifth, what books should I avoid, and what books should I embrace?

Anyway, sorry for all the questions, it's just that my faith is growing and I just need some direction.

Thanks a lot people! Have a blessed day!

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
you should ask your priest :)

growing in the Christian life means trusting the people who God put in authority in your life

1 and 2 I would say are ok in moderation, try to stay away from the more extreme forms, but most things in moderation are ok
I hear the fallout games have a interesting story line, while GTA has fewer redeeming qualities, but I am not really an expert on video games

3,4,and 5
stay away from things that are ugly or hurtful, things that cause you to doubt
look at beautiful things, things that remind you of honor, beauty, sacrifice, bravery

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi everyone! I haven't been on in a very long time! I am now living on my own in an apartment in the city of Charlottetown, PEI Canada. I am going to start going to church more regularly.

Third, what kind of music should I avoid? (I have stopped listening to Marilyn Manson and the like)
Fourth, what kind of music should I embrace? (I do like some Skillet and Red and Demon Hunter)

Anyway, sorry for all the questions, it's just that my faith is growing and I just need some direction.

I read Stephen King novels. It's called imagination. Stories, especially fairy stories and myths (which includes science fiction, ghost stories, and the like) are always spiritually significant. You have a monster -- this is the sinful nature in all human beings, we all have a monster inside of us. And you have characters that resist the monster, almost alway driving it away or destroying it. These protagonists, these heros, are also part of us, the part that is in the image of God.

Stephen King's novels are all about the moral fight of good against evil. Although his characters are complex and less than idealistic (he has more than a few characters who are lapsed Christians) it is just as true that secular critics have problem's with him citing God's words.

Here is a fabulous Catholic website that promotes Stephen King as the last writer of Christian morality plays.
Stephen King: Best-Selling Author, Horror Novelist—and Christian Moralist? – Catholic World Report

As to music and games to play, ask yourself one simple question: is this building me up or is it tearing me down? If you try to be honest with yourself you will know the answer. Signs that something is tearing you down are:
  • if it presents moral abominations as something the GOOD GUY does.
  • if it speaks of women or ethnic groups in demeaning ways
  • if it does not have a good moral resolution to a crisis.
  • if it has you in first person committing crimes and atrocities. (It's okay to kill the bad guy, but if you are stealing cars and raping women, that's a whole other story.)

A good musician that I recommend is the Christian composer and lead guitarist Kerry Livgren. His music is deeply spiritual, both before he became a Christian (as part of the group Kansas) and after he became a Christian (when he formed the Christian rock group AD). I'm picky--I don't settle for second rate Christian music.

I'm not sure if this is a concern for you, but I don't worry about magic in the alternative worlds of fiction. It's called fiction for a reason. If the good guy is doing magic, it's usually because it's something like they were born with the natural talent for it (Harry Potter) or they are a being of God (Gandalf the Wizard was an angel). None of these present devil worship of any sort, unless it is the bad guy who is defeated--as it should be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Hi JBMM,

1. I know good Christians who read Steven King, I have read one or two of his books myself. The question would be does reading Steven King cause problems for you? Does it cause unhealthy attitudes or thoughts for you? If not then don't worry about it. If you like suspense books, I'd also recommend Dean Koontz. (the Odd Thomas series is really good, even though I'm only on the third book).

2. Again, it's not objectively wrong, it just depends if it causes you problems personally. I just got done playing Arma 3. Often times the primary concern with gaming is how much of your time does it eat up? It can get in the way of more important things if you allow it.

3. I would probably avoid anything that relies upon Occult imagery or themes, and anything that puts you in a bad state of mind. If you have questions, pay attention to what the various kinds of music you listen to affect you.

4. I don't have a wide experience of contemporary Christian music or alt-rock styles etc. so I can't recommend much really.

5. It depends on what you are interested in and open to. If you are interested I would HIGHLY recommend anything by JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, and GK Chesterton. They all wrote fiction, but Lewis and Chesterton also wrote great non-fiction. For religious reading I'd also highly recommend anything by Peter Kreeft, Scott Hahn, Brandt Pitre, or John Bergsma. Those would be more for study and learning.

What kind of stuff do you normally read? and what kind of stuff are you interested in reading?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT
Lion-Cat-Hat.jpg

This thread is closed for staff review.

I remind members to look at what forum you are posting in! The congregational rule is this:

Congregational Forum Restrictions
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.​

It is NOT okay to teach or debate against Catholic teachings in OBOB.​

Upvote 0