Southern Salish Sea
✟17,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello! I just wanted to make an account here because I had some questions, and wanted a christian input (outside of my family).

For a little history about myself; I grew up in a christian household, and I considered myself a pretty serious christian for the first 30 years of my life. About 5 years ago, I questioned my faith and couldn't find the answers I needed when I sought them from those I knew in my christian community, and honestly couldn't talk to my family about my questions without feeling as though they would think I was wrong for questioning. With my questions I looked into other religions and educated myself on different theologies (it turns out that I find them to be pretty fascinating subjects, IMO).

As the fear of hell and other things such as that faded, I experimented with other religious ideas and mythologies before realizing that I found religion as more of a curiosity (and useful source of Ideas and personal philosophies) than as a lifestyle to adhere to as I did while I was christian. As it stands now, my personal thoughts on god are that I don't know whether or not he exists. If he does, I'm more certain than not that christianity's interpretation of his existence is off (at least mainstream evangelical christianity here in the U.S.), and that religions are different views on a complex concept wrought through the lens of culture and mythology handed down from generation to generation (or created by individuals recently, in some cases).

I don't hate the idea of god, and there are many things about christianity that I love and that have made me who I am today. Though I consider myself agnostic (not knowing), I still consider myself culturally christian, and I feel comfortable enough around christian folks (even when they can be a bit overbearing from time to time).

As for my personal life, I have a wonderful girlfriend going on 4 years. She has been my rock, and her family has been more than wonderful to me. I work at the local hospital, and I enjoy nature and outdoorsy things. I have a passion for history and, as it turns out, religion as well. I think that's it! =)

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF.

I can understand the need to search and find answers. Christianity should certainly be able to stand up to scrutiny - or it isn't real. If your problems are with some of the Evangelical answers, I just want to say that they have had the disadvantage of trying to reconstruct the faith essentially through a book (the Bible) that was never written to be used in a vacuum like that. Depending on what your difficulties are, there might be very good and solid answers within historical Christianity. The history and changes within theologies is a very fascinating and enlightening topic to pursue.

This unfortunately isn't the right place to ask, but I hope you'll keep seeking, and if you need to know where to ask particular questions, feel free to ask and we will be happy to offer suggestions.

Again, welcome to CF. :) I do hope you find the answers you need. :)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
You mentioned there are some things you miss about religion, and you still consider yourself culturally Christian. You might actually find a spiritual home in a mainline denomination, perhaps something like the United Church of Christ, or even the Unitarian Universalists.

Upvote 0