Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
1) My take on that it is essentially hardness of heartedness that comes by way a different motivations, with them it was largely pride, but for people today could come for other reasons but especially bitterness at God. Anyway if they repented this no longer would be an issue, they would realize they are wrong, and take steps to deal with that fact rather than remaining in a state of Denial / Spiritual Blindness that comes from the need to be right, believing they have everything figured out, and are already spiritually perfect etc. (so much that they are contending with God Incarnate).

2A)Besides this there are certain nuances that people tend to focus on like the idea of people attributing miracles and exorcisms done with the power of the Holy Spirit as coming from demons/ sorcery/ the occult etc. That is true, but more a side effect of the above. Like this is the final sign of people who are turned over or given over to their spiritual rebellion. The Pharisees largely stuck to this view point which is why it is the explanation given for Jesus miracles in the Talmud, and one reason why God eventually in the decades to come would slowly shift his work of evangelism from the Jews to the Gentiles.

2B)Anyway I see this as more of a side affect then a cause. Saint Paul when he was persecuted Christians largely believed this sort of thing in the book of Acts, yet God intervened and corrected him on the road to Damascus.

2C) In closing, I will note that some groups like televangelists will talk about this verse, especially to encourage people to not criticize them. But I don't believe this verse was intended for that, or at least to ward off legitimate criticism. e.g. Such people often make false analogies and comparisons between what they are doing and what Jesus and the apostles were doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Like u you know the Pharisees talked about in Matthew 12:31

If pharisees would have repented, it would have been good and then they could have had eternal life that is promised for righteous, unless they had blasphemed, in which case i think they would not repent.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If you can be in the very presence of Christ incarnate, performing all the deeds and works of the Father, through the power of the Holy Spirit, and attribute the fullness of the God Head in person in front of you to Satan himself, then, I would pretty much say you are done, toast ... and judgment for you is a forgone conclusion.

Now if Jesus is here, in person physically and is doing exactly as He did in their presence, and you sincerely attribute all He does and says to Satan, then yes, there is no hope of repenting. Otherwise, since this is the only time "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" is ever mentioned in scripture, your blasphemy can be forgiven. It's called consistency. If it is never used of another group or in any other situation, then hold to the context. No one else in all of scripture has had this phrase applied to them.

Upvote 0

FaithWillDo

Jan 5, 2021
Fort Collins, Colorado
✟31,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dear Vincent,
The Pharisees will repent and be saved someday, just not in this age. At this time, Christ is ONLY saving His Elect, the First-Fruits of His harvest of mankind. The Pharisees will have to wait until the end of the final age before Christ comes to them and saves them. That is why He told them this:

Matt 21:31 Which of the two was obeying his father?" They replied, "The first, of course." Then Jesus explained his meaning: "I assure you, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do.

With Christ, ALL mankind's salvation is a 100% certainty. Why? Because Christ is the one who does the saving and Christ cannot fail. Mankind is no match for Christ.

Dan 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing; and he doeth according to his will in the army of the heavens, and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

In our spiritually flawed created condition, mankind cannot save themselves or even seek after God. We need a Savior.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Rom 3:10-11 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Because of man's lost and sinful nature, Christ MUST come to us FIRST and give us His gifts of Faith and the Holy Spirit. Only then can a person accept Jesus as Lord.

1 Cor 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit.

Mankind cannot make a "choice" to accept Jesus as Lord UNTIL they are given the Holy Spirit. It is a gift from Christ. He comes to us and gives us His gift because of His GRACE and not because of anything we do or say. When He comes, He comes to us uninvited just as He did to Paul on the Damascus Road. Paul's conversion is the "pattern" whereby all mankind will be saved.

But as I stated earlier, Christ is only coming to and saving those He has chosen from the foundation of the world. They are the Elect, the Heirs, the First-Fruits, the Saints, etc. No one else will be saved in this age.

However, Christ came to save the whole world, not just His Elect:

1John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

1 Tim 2:3-6 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Christ most certainly will come individually to ALL mankind someday (in due time), if not in this age, then in the final age. When He comes, He will come "suddenly" to bring destruction to our flawed spiritual condition that produced our Old Man. But from this destruction, He will raise us up as a new child of God with a NEW spiritual condition (Holy Spirit). This event is called conversion and only happens when a person receives the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (Latter Rain of the Spirit) from Christ.

Water baptism is a symbol for conversion. The submersion in water represents the destruction of our old nature and the rising up out of the water represents our new birth.

The Pharisees will be in the last group to be saved. The Elect are saved now. In the final age, the Gentiles will be saved next, followed by the Nation of Israel (includes the Pharisees). Then God will be "all in all".

1 Cor 15:20-28 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. Then cometh the consummation, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Joe

Upvote 0