Hey single folk - a Proverbs 31 question for you...

Olmhinlu

Apr 15, 2020
Undisclosed
✟59,795.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many of you may be familiar with the famous passage in Proverbs 31 concerning the good wife. I would like to ask your opinion about a less frequently analysed verse:

Do not give your strength to women, your ways to those who destroy kings. - Proverbs 31:3

What does that instruction mean to you?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would say vss. 2-9 are specifically for a future king (i.e. Lemuel). I think it's a word of caution not to neglect so great a responsibility by chasing women and seeking to gratify the natural desires of the flesh.

I'm not so sure vs.10 and following are connected to the instructions Lemuel's mother gave him.

Since I won't be king anytime soon, they don't mean much to me. Besides, my days of chasing women are over.

• Useful
Reactions: Olmhinlu
Upvote 0

BigMat

Jan 4, 2011
New Mexico, USA
✟8,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The NIV words it as such:

Proverbs 31:3
Do not spend your strength on women, your vigor on those who ruin kings.

Of verse three and the passage beginning in verse ten, each is referring to an entirely different class of female. One, chooses to be a woman -- a wife of noble character -- the other, chooses to be something far less than that. The female referred to in verse three will tear you down, deter you from your purpose and achievements, and even destroy you. The other, the wife of noble character, will build you up, enrich your life, and help you to accomplish your purpose.

A prominent part of a Godly marriage consists of each spouse helping to better and grow the other. The husband grows and plants his wife's heart with love and strength helping her to blossom into the fullness of her beauty and womanhood. The wife nurtures, encourages, and builds her husband's heart, helping him to reach his potential as a man.

The passage beginning in verse ten tells of a single, very special, extremely priceless woman -- a woman who betters her husband and his life in every way. Verse three refers to the many females -- likely harems in the case of King Lemuel and in our case, the many promiscuous materialistic females a guy will encounter living in modern times -- who will bleed a man dry of his drive, his life force, and his finances. The woman described in the other passage increases and enriches all these things in a man's life.

In essence, King Lemuel's mother is instructing him to not squander his strength -- a.k.a. his capacity to be a great king or, as it applies to we normal guys, our capacity to make a living, build a life, and accomplish our purpose -- in an attempt to purchase the love and devotion of the many females whose only interest is in getting all the money and attention they can out of a man, instead using their own life force, their femininity, and their beauty to build him up and add value to his life.

His mother is instructing him to not take the gift of his sexuality (referred to as his vigor) -- a.k.a. his capacity to bond and become one with the right woman -- and use it up or defile it by trying to bond with all the wrong women. Basically, don't sleep with and squander your drive and energy on one woman after the other but rather, save those things for the right woman, the woman who loves you enough to become your wife and spend her time as such blessing you, increasing you, and building you up, rather than tearing you down or using you as a tool to elevate herself or feed her own selfish desires.

• Useful
Reactions: Olmhinlu
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs as an entire book speaks out about not going after physical lusts with whorish women but to find and cherish a wise, strong, and moral wife. It's not a book that pushes for singleness at all.

Proverbs 18:22 shows that to find a God fearing wife, or God fearing husband for the reverse role, has been blessed by the Lord.

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0