✟7,962.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey all,

a colleague and I developed this little app called Bible Verse of the Day for the Google Assistant which fetches an reads out a verse of the day from the bible to you (via BibleGateway.com). You can test it out on any Android phone (Android 6.0 or higher), iPhone, Google Home, Android Smartwatch, Android TV, or Android Auto. Find more information about the app here.

I hope you enjoy it
smile.gif

Cheers,
Matthias

Toxg_dYJ4QN8OYOwjAl9UcckweZVlLj3Lb20_wlGld_CQLpmXT2eHzOoMuMaVODqfcYOj3k=w371_CrlEA=w371

Last edited:

MatthiasS

Mar 6, 2018
Hamburg
✟7,962.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey @pgp_protector
Can you change bible versions / languages ?
Unfortunately, atm you can't change translation yet. We only had sth like 10 days to build the app, as it was for a little contest around building apps for the Assistant. In terms of languages: Besides English it also works in German right now. Would there be any language in particular that you would be interested in having supported, too?

Cheers,
Matthias

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
a colleague and I developed this little app called Bible Verse of the Day for the Google Assistant which fetches an reads out a verse of the day from the bible to you (via BibleGateway.com).
yp5akxB8lulApODNUgXfS0W5TIUeZiDEy0o2ls7jMDBp7Xze9GWbBaFsm-WUC3RDV_CrlEA=w371

That's wonderful. One question: can you plug an app into Google Assistant? Is Google Assistant that extensible?

Upvote 0

MatthiasS

Mar 6, 2018
Hamburg
✟7,962.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Martin,

basically anyone can build apps (also called actions) for the Assistant, see Sign in - Google Accounts.

The cool thing is that once an app is built, published and approved it just immediately works for anyone globally that has the Assistant available/activated on any of their devices, without the need activate the app first, as is the case with Alexa skills.

You can explore currently available Assistant apps here: https://assistant.google.com/explore?hl=en_us

Cheers,
Matthias

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MatthiasS

Mar 6, 2018
Hamburg
✟7,962.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good point, of course anyone can access BibleGateway.com directly, too - I do, too, on a regular basis :)

However, the point of this Assistant app is that you can access the verse of the day by giving a simple voice command to any compatible device and then have the verse read out to you in an audible form. This is something you cannot easily do with bookmarks - plus some device types such as smart speakers like Google Home don't even have bookmarks.

Cheers,
Matthias

Why don't you just make a Bookmark of the BibleGateway.com which has the "Verse of the day" ready made:

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

And if you don't know how to make a bookmark in an Android phone; here is a tutorial.

How to Use Web Bookmarks on an Android Phone - dummies

And you can pick your Bible version/translation easily.

• Informative
Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good point, of course anyone can access BibleGateway.com directly, too - I do, too, on a regular basis :)

However, the point of this Assistant app is that you can access the verse of the day by giving a simple voice command to any compatible device and then have the verse read out to you in an audible form. This is something you cannot easily do with bookmarks - plus some device types such as smart speakers like Google Home don't even have bookmarks.

Cheers,
Matthias
Also it's a fun exercise in programming ;)

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0