• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

He's gone, and I just don't get it.

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Glaucus, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Glaucus

Glaucus The Lay Monk

+1,340
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I haven't heard from my homeless friend for a couple of days. I went to the motel I have him at and he's gone. The owners said he's been gone for a couple of days. He had another 10 days or so paid for already. I had a job lined up for him. But he's gone. I really don't get it. He was warm, fed, and was on his way to an income. I guess it's hard for some people to leave their lifestyle behind. Tonight we pray for John.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+42,227
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Hi Glaucus, I once found a man lying on the sidewalk downtown who was looking for help up, and for something to eat. He was willing to have a meal with me, but when I mentioned a free facility that we have here in town called Tender Mercies (which is a home for the homeless, giving them a place to sleep, to bathe, to eat, and to get off the streets), sadly, he wanted nothing to do with it (as there was room for him at that time).

"Homeless" is a "chosen" lifestyle for some :(

Praying for your friend.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. SheldonCooper

SheldonCooper Ph.D.

+47
    United States
    Freethinker
    Single
    Well, on the contrary, it's quite plausible that he has chosen the life of a bum willingly and actually enjoys it. The idea of being cared for by good people such as yourself is just one of the various perks a homeless person gets to enjoy. Consider this factoid..

Statistically speaking, a homeless person can earn minimum wage simply from holding out a cup and a sign asking for change via standing on a busy street or corner.

Understand that the money from generous kind people is what makes living life as a bum a reality. Tax free money to buy the simplest of ingredients needed to survive as a human being. The freedom is what most homeless people appreciate. The adventure and more importantly the high probability of being fed that day without having to work for it because we live in a nation where religion dictates to love thy neighbor.

4. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,260
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    He might have had some mental or emotional issues, all you can do is try.

5. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God † CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+16,452
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Prayers for him. I won't pretend to guess why he might have left. What is good is that you clothed, fed, and cared for "the least of these my brethren". May you be spiritually blessed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. ~Anastasia~

+16,452
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Welcome to CF and to TAW, btw. :)

Please let us know if you have any questions about the forums or need any help.

God be with you!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Glaucus

Glaucus The Lay Monk

+1,340
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Animal Planet and Discovery Channel provide enough adventure. Ha!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Willie T

Willie T St. Petersburg Vineyard

+1,759
    Christian
    Married
    As Anastasia can verify for you, the denomination I belong to probably directly engages with homeless people more than almost any other. One thing we have learned to accept is that Jesus called us to help them, not to expect that they are all going to gladly give up that lifestyle. Someone said on here that many of them deliberately choose that lifestyle. And, I think it's true.

You simply help. It does us no good to have certain expectations of them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  9. Glaucus

Glaucus The Lay Monk

+1,340
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I wouldn't say I had certain expectations of him. I simply wanted to help him become stable and safe, and more than anything I'm sad.

10. ~Anastasia~

+16,452
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Sigh .....

PLEASE don't do this. I know you are new. Both of you are VISITORS to our congregational forum. We are happy to have folks post in fellowship. We don't need debates started.

I think Willie T was trying to be helpful to the OP.

Thank you for your consideration.

~Anastasia~
    CF Senior Ambassador

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  11. UnseenSaviour

UnseenSaviour New Member

+27
    Ireland
    Freethinker
    Private
    Well you tried your best & one things 4 sure, you've been a lot nicer to him than how most other people would have treated him. So don't give up doing good. :amen:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. mark kennedy

+7,260
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Meet this kid from the Philippians once, he used to try to help the homeless in Colorado Springs. He would actually sleep outside with them, I thought it was bizarre but it was somehow in his nature. I suggested he volunteer at the homeless shelter but apparently there was a problem with that because they couldn't drink and stay there.

Around that time, and I'm not sure why I'm going into this. My girlfriend stopped by and told me about meeting a kid who had gotten a DUI and literally lost everything, she bought him lunch but she was kind of tore up what had happened to his life.

A guy just down on his luck, I can see helping him get back on track. But some people choose that lifestyle, I honestly don't know why. They did a series of articles back in the seventies about homeless in Indiana, about 80% were veterans with benefits coming.

I don't really know, but sometimes all you can do is try.

13. Glaucus

Glaucus The Lay Monk

+1,340
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    When I met him he didn't appear to be on drugs or drunk, or that he even needed that sort of thing. He actually asked me if I knew of anywhere hiring, and that's all he wanted. I had to insist on helping him with everything else. He's a good man. Which makes this all the more sad and shocking because I did get him a job.

14. Glaucus

Glaucus The Lay Monk

+1,340
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Maybe I was played and he was clever and learned that asking for a job and not money would make people more willing to help and also give money and necessities. Can't really say or be certain. One thing is for sure, I'd rather get burned 99 times out of 100, helping the 1, than to not help at all.

15. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,585
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    prayers for him!

16. mark kennedy

+7,260
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Who knows, maybe he found a place to crash, someone who knew of a job. He could have gotten hit by a bus, he was living a high risk life style, sometimes it's fluid. I don't know, maybe he got on a phone with family members and jumped a bus. It is a little odd that he didn't even bother to touch base with you but maybe he went to jail, got hurt or found another way. Just say a prayer and wish him the best.

17. Tomm

Tomm Christian Supporter

+880
    Brazil
    Catholic
    Private
    Result of the devil's temptations?

18. ~Anastasia~

+16,452
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    There was a member of my extended family who decided for a time to be homeless. Though there was a family home she could have lived in, she preferred her independence and living by her own rules (which had nothing to do with drug addiction, just coming and going and doing as she pleased with friends of her own choosing). She lived for some time in a tent by the river, happy as she could be.

One of her best friends was a man who lived on a houseboat he had built himself.

Just very independent folks, in their case.

(Now she works and lives in her own home, decades later.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Willie T

Willie T St. Petersburg Vineyard

+1,759
    Christian
    Married
    "Yes." So what if you were played? You are thinking with the mind of Christ, and that is good. Being His hands in this world is not about seeing any agenda we might have come true. If you see him again, I know you will still feed and clothe him if he needs it, and that is what Jesus told us to do.

20. royal priest

royal priest debtor to grace

+2,279
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Years ago, I wanted to help a man in need so I went to the church seeking aid. My Pastor and the deacons knew who this man was and refused to assist me. I was very perplexed. They appealed to Psalms 38:1-3 and explained to me that we need to be very judicious when extending relief to someone in need. They knew this man and judged his distress to be for his potential good. God sinks His arrows into us in order to teach us lessons. Psalms 119:71. If we remove them hastily, then we risk doing more harm than good. Some people are in such a spiritual mess that they cannot appreciate the help of others which, in turn, hinders them from turning to God in gratitude as well. Removing God's arrows too hastily may prevent the painful providence from having it's potentially blessed effects. Hebrews 12:11