Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Herschel Walker Calls for Don Lemon to Be Fired For Racist Comments About Kanye West

Some of the racist quotes from the show by various participants:

“Kanye West is what happens when Negros don’t read.”
“the token negro of the Trump administration.”

What would the opinion be if this happened on Fox?

FYI, CNN has removed the video from the internet. No surprise there.

I think it was him who described Kanye West as "standing around with a bunch of white guys" while he was at the white house. I didn't think that was a good thing to say.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think it was him who described Kanye West as "standing around with a bunch of white guys" while he was at the white house. I didn't think that was a good thing to say.
The sad truth is that if CNN got rid of all its racists ... there might not be anyone left at the network to read the news. :(

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One of the things typical of racism is it tries to lock someone into a stereotype.
West is going against the stereotype that assumes if someone is black they have to be a Democrat.
He is fighting against racism by breaking that stereotype.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One of the things typical of racism is it tries to lock someone into a stereotype.
West is going against the stereotype that assumes if someone is black they have to be a Democrat.
He is fighting against racism by breaking that stereotype.
Actually, he fits right into the stereotype of a self-obsessed and fame hungry celebrity suffering a very public mental breakdown. Him and Trump are kindred spirits in that regard.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, he fits right into the stereotype of a self-obsessed and fame hungry celebrity suffering a very public mental breakdown. Him and Trump are kindred spirits in that regard.
You missed the point about breaking race stereotypes.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Herschel Walker Calls for Don Lemon to Be Fired For Racist Comments About Kanye West

Some of the racist quotes from the show by various participants:

“Kanye West is what happens when Negros don’t read.”
“the token negro of the Trump administration.”

What would the opinion be if this happened on Fox?

FYI, CNN has removed the video from the internet. No surprise there.
He's right though. Most people I've talked to about it have expressed embarrassment for Kanye's behavior at the White House and even going back several years now.

He absolutely is Trump's token black guy. At least Trump seems to think so.

Trump as well as many of you seem to think he marks some kind of turning point in black support for Trump or republicans in general but that just shows how totally out of touch with the black community the right really is.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You missed the point about breaking race stereotypes.
I believe you missed mine. He hasn't broken any stereotypes. Kanye is doing exactly what I expect Kanye to do. And so is Trump.

And so are you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Since the right's listening to entertainers now... For those of you who care, here's another perspective from a well-known member of the black community:

At least Charlamagne speaks calm and intelligibly. Not like a mentally unstable person off his psych meds.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Since the right's listening to entertainers now... For those of you who care, here's another perspective from a well-known member of the black community:

At least Charlamagne speaks calm and intelligibly. Not like a mentally unstable person off his psych meds.

"I didn't know America was ready to throw the presidency in the toilet!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Definitely some poor choices of words for someone who wants to be a professional broadcaster...

However. I think it's only fair to point out that in their haste to suggest that "liberals are actually the racists", I think many on the right fall into the trap of setting the bar really low for what constitutes "racism".

Pointing out, what one feels are, flawed viewpoints from a member of their own community doesn't necessarily equate to hatred or bigotry toward said community. Even if said commentary is made with some crass tones. As we saw with the harsh treatment of John McCain, John Kasich, and any others who were accused of "selling out" for not agreeing with Trump on absolutely everything, republicans are certainly not immune to the "attack your own when they don't fall in line" mentality.

For instance, if Neil DeGrasse Tyson was insulting another scientist for a viewpoint that he felt was grossly flawed, and said something to the tune of "This is what happens when scientists don't read", nobody for a second would walk away with the impression "Oh, Neil must hate scientists" or "Neil is anti-science"

As far as the comment that Tara made about him being the "token" black guy for the Trump administration, I don't think she's off-point on that one. To make it abundantly clear, that's not a knock against Kanye (he's welcome to support whoever he feels is the best person for the job), that's a commentary about how Trump is exploiting Kanye's support to try to appeal to a demographic that doesn't particularly care for him at the moment.

If you look at the dialog between the two, some of Kanye's comments were rather odd:
Here's every word of Kanye West's bizarre meeting with President Trump

...many of the ideas he was pitching to Trump were rather strange. Are we to really expect that Trump invited him there in a sincere effort to get advice from him? Or was it for the fanfare and media frenzy that took place for the meeting?

upload_2018-10-13_9-24-41.png

Typically, if one wants to "reach out" to a group that they don't have a great present relationship with, they'll reach out to someone in the opposing camp to try to understand what it is that they don't like and why they feel the way they do. Inviting someone in who you already know agrees with you and is on your side simply to say "hey, look who's here with me" does feel a bit like Trump was exploiting Kanye's support for the purpose of public image.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
However. I think it's only fair to point out that in their haste to suggest that "liberals are actually the racists", I think many on the right fall into the trap of setting the bar really low for what constitutes "racism".
Although I agree with the sentiment you've expressed, I hasten to point out that the bar of racism was set extremely low when Obama was president. Even the slightest criticism of Obama's policies was often met with the charge of racism by people in the media when they couldn't defend, or didn't want to defend, said policies.

Karma bites ...
Typically, if one wants to "reach out" to a group that they don't have a great present relationship with, they'll reach out to someone in the opposing camp to try to understand what it is that they don't like and why they feel the way they do. Inviting someone in who you already know agrees with you and is on your side simply to say "hey, look who's here with me" does feel a bit like Trump was exploiting Kanye's support for the purpose of public image.
C'mon now. The meeting was a mix of both. It's the way politics is played. Obama didn't invite Ted Cruz in for a discussion. He invited supporters in.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Although I agree with the sentiment you've expressed, I hasten to point out that the bar of racism was set extremely low when Obama was president. Even the slightest criticism of Obama's policies was often met with the charge of racism by people in the media when they couldn't defend, or didn't want to defend, said policies.

Karma bites ...

...and if you'll remember, I was quick to call them out for. (If you'll recall, you & I used to agree quite a bit back when Obama was in office :)...as I'm sure we will again the next time a democrat is in... as people have hopefully noticed by now, my posting style is such where I spend most of my time critiquing what I feel at the flaws of the current president rather than singing their praises. I've been critical of W, Obama, and Trump in my 12 years here at CF.

C'mon now. The meeting was a mix of both. It's the way politics is played. Obama didn't invite Ted Cruz in for a discussion. He invited supporters in.

...But were they members of groups that were typically at odds with Obama? For instance, if Obama had found one or two members of the Tea Party or a Pro Life group (who bucked their own groups typical position and vocally supported Obama) to come in and meet with him...

I think where there's a disconnect is in when people here the word "token", they take as some sort of of derogatory attack against the person who's the "token"...as if it's to mean "this person is so gullible, they're not smart enough to realize they're being used by this other person as a pandering tool"...when in reality, that's not what it means at all.

So, when they hear other black people claim that "Kanye is the Token black guy for Trump's support base" that it's an attack against Kanye's intelligence for that sole reason. For the record, I think there are other reasons to question Kanye's knowledge of various affairs, but that's besides the point. Being a "token", alone, isn't an implication of gullibility, naivety, or stupidity.

I can provide an example from the other side of the fence.

When Obama nominated Francis Collins (a theist who's pro-life and self-identifies as a born again Christian) to be the head of the NIH, I do feel he was doing that, in part, to try to appeal to a group that didn't care for him all that much (that group being pro-life born again Christians). I feel that Francis Collins was the "token pro-life Christian" that Obama wanted to be able to prop up. But that, by no means, is a reflection of how I feel about Francis Collins. He's a brilliant scientist and can tout being the head of the Human Genome Project and is one of the few scientists who has tremendous respect among both atheists and theists alike. (Probably the only guy to both be close personal friends with Christopher Hitchens, and have a Papal appointment)

So, the non long-winded version of my response is: When one calls someone a "token <insert group here>", it's not a negative reflection on the person themselves, it's a reflection of how you feel another person or group is using them for their own public image.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think where there's a disconnect is in when people here the word "token", they take as some sort of of derogatory attack against the person who's the "token"...as if it's to mean "this person is so gullible, they're not smart enough to realize they're being used by this other person as a pandering tool"...when in reality, that's not what it means at all.
The work "token" is ALWAYS a personal attack.

The attack may be aimed at the person being called a token, or it may be aimed at the person using them, or it may be aimed at both parties ... but it is always an attack intended to diminish both the individual(s) involved along with whatever political objective they were attempting to accomplish.

Upvote 0