Herman Cain for President!

Insane_Duck

Because ducks are just awesome like that.
May 29, 2011
✟1,763.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Correct, my answer is the same. If a company is dumb enough to fire me simply because I'm a Christian then I wouldn't be interested in working for them anyway.
What if no one would hire you? Would you be okay with not being able to find a job at all because of your Christianity?

How is that any different than the employment issues that convicts face? Why is it ok to discriminate against thieves but not homosexuals? After all, thievery is just an alternative lifestyle. Some people earn a living by providing goods and services, and some people earn a living by stealing goods and services. Why shouldn't thieves be a protected class of citizens? Who are you to judge them?
Thievery is an activity that hurts others. Homosexuality hurts no-one. The fact that you are making this comparison at all is troubling.
Obviously I'm being facetious, but the point still stands. The choice to discriminate against one person but not another is a moral and religious issue. You don't get the idea that thievery is wrong from science, you get it from religion. If you are not willing to accept that a God who gives us rules about behavior exists, then your only other grounds to claim that thievery is unacceptable behavior but homosexuality is acceptable behavior is personal opinion, and if it is merely your personal opinion then you have no grounds for criticizing others who have a different opinion.
Wrong. Thievery is harmful in a practical manner. We can determine that from science. Homosexuality is not harmful in anything but your personal opinion. (a bigoted personal opinion at that)

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Verticordious said:
How is that any different than the employment issues that convicts face? Why is it ok to discriminate against thieves but not homosexuals?
Because thievery is a 'lifestyle' that directly deprives other people of property. Homosexuality is not. If you cannot understand the difference between a thief and someone's sexual preference in terms of damage then I can't help you.

I'd also add that I don't think it fair that rehabilitated thieves should undergo perpetual discrimination and be incapable of having a job.

After all, thievery is just an alternative lifestyle. Some people earn a living by providing goods and services, and some people earn a living by stealing goods and services. Why shouldn't thieves be a protected class of citizens? Who are you to judge them?
You mistake my opposition against homosexuals being de facto driven underground with tacit non-judgement. You are completely wrong in that. I am very judgemental and I think everyone ought to be. Thieves make their living by depriving others of their property for their gain. Their very actions destroy the concept of ownership and if tolerated, would negate the concept of civil society over time. They are positively anti-social. Not comparable to sexual preference.

Obviously I'm being facetious, but the point still stands. The choice to discriminate against one person but not another is a moral and religious issue. You don't get the idea that thievery is wrong from science, you get it from religion.
No I don't. I derive my opposition to theft from a positive agreement in the concept of ownership as necessary for a civil society be it collective or private. You may derive it from elsewhere, and if you do then shame on you.

If you are not willing to accept that a God who gives us rules about behavior exists, then your only other grounds to claim that thievery is unacceptable behavior but homosexuality is acceptable behavior is personal opinion, and if it is merely your personal opinion then you have no grounds for criticizing others who have a different opinion.
This is going completely off-topic. You are attempting the outright obscene argument of saying that because I am anti-something (thievery) then I should be anti-everything. I have developed proportion and can understand the difference between specific actions, tendencies and behaviours. You cannot, and therefore your system of morality whether you derive it from is apparently broken.

That comment was not intended to have anything to with sexual preference, I was making the point that, whenever possible, I only want to support companies who have strong family values.
And you are welcome to do that.

I'm not expecting companies to go in to their employees homes and examine their behavior, but when such behavior is done in plain sight I expect some action to be taken If I am to continue business with them.
What constitutes such behaviour done in plain sight? You earlier implied heavily that so long as a company knows that one of their employees is homosexual they should have the right to fire them.

What difference would you be referring to?
That sexual assault is by definition done against people's will and that homosexuality and inappropriate contentography are not. It is as incoherent as saying that me hitting you and watching a violent movie are the same thing.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
You people are gonna get this thread locked again and your off topic posts deleted if you don't cut it out...
It is a side discussion in this thread. I asked a few times to Herman Cain supporters what they make of his anti-Muslim bigotry and haven't received an answer.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You people are gonna get this thread locked again and your off topic posts deleted if you don't cut it out...

Well...we could just let you keep posting "bump" every now and then or we could actually talk about something. I know what I'd prefer but hey, it's your thread. :wave:
tulc(is still waiting for an answer to the question he asked) :)

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON

Please try to remain ON TOPIC to the thread. Please also keep in mind the following rule:

● Do not promote homosexuality on Christian Forums. Homosexuality can only be discussed, without promotion, in Christian Communities and Faith Groups. Homosexuality may also be discussed in the Recovery and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with struggles overcoming same-sex attractions, and homosexual issues.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Insane_Duck

May 29, 2011
✟1,763.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
● Do not promote homosexuality on Christian Forums. Homosexuality can only be discussed, without promotion, in Christian Communities and Faith Groups. Homosexuality may also be discussed in the Recovery and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with struggles overcoming same-sex attractions, and homosexual issues.
Promoting homosexuality is different than promoting rights for homosexuals.

For instance:

"I think you should become a Christian, Christianity is superior."
"I think that Christians should have the right to practice their religion."

Would you call the second promoting Christianity? If I said that African Americans should have rights, would I be promoting African Americans or would I be promoting their rights?

Likewise:

"I think you should become a homosexual. Homosexuality is superior."
"I think homosexuals should have the same rights as everyone else."

The later isn't promoting "Homosexuality" as you have outlined and therefore falls outside of the rules.

Also, the below definition below also excludes the type of language I used, because I never promoted the acceptance of homosexuality but merely advocated the rights of homosexuals, which is independent of progress, growth and acceptance.

**Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.

Upvote 0

Verticordious

Sep 4, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
✟8,768.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What if no one would hire you? Would you be okay with not being able to find a job at all because of your Christianity?
How many times must I repeat myself? There are things more important in life than money.

Thievery is an activity that hurts others. Homosexuality hurts no-one. The fact that you are making this comparison at all is troubling.
I suppose if you ignore all the diseases and psychological disorders it causes/spreads, then yeah it is pretty harmless.

Wrong. Thievery is harmful in a practical manner. We can determine that from science. Homosexuality is not harmful in anything but your personal opinion. (a bigoted personal opinion at that)
Where do you get the idea that things "harmful in a practical matter" are wrong? You must be very new to atheism if you still think that there is any way to define morality outside of personal opinion without God.

Secondly, homosexuality most certainly is harmful in a practical matter. How exactly are the higher rates of HIV, AIDS, syphilis, suicide, substance abuse, multiple personality disorders, anxiety disorders, mood disorders, and various cancers to be considered theoretical? I expect that out president would not give such a self-destructive behavior any kind of legal recognition, and so if Cain is going to be soft on DADT then he definitely doesn't get my vote.

Because thievery is a 'lifestyle' that directly deprives other people of property. Homosexuality is not. If you cannot understand the difference between a thief and someone's sexual preference in terms of damage then I can't help you.
So "directly depriving other people of property" is only behavior you think is wrong? Homosexuality is a very destructive behavior and it is inexcusable for a president to even think that it would be a good idea to giving legal recognition to such a behavior. Young kids are impressionable and the laws our society has have an impact on their, and if you don't understand that then I cannot help you, and if Cain doesn't understand that then I won't be voting for him.

You mistake my opposition against homosexuals being de facto driven underground with tacit non-judgement. You are completely wrong in that. I am very judgemental and I think everyone ought to be. Thieves make their living by depriving others of their property for their gain. Their very actions destroy the concept of ownership and if tolerated, would negate the concept of civil society over time. They are positively anti-social. Not comparable to sexual preference.
My point was not that you are or aren't judgemental, my point was that you lack any authority beyond yourself to proclaim that certain behaviors are or aren't acceptable. Since you do not acknowledge God, and science is incapable of declaring a behavior to be acceptable or unacceptable, the only thing you have left is personal opinion. I do agree that the concept of personal property is important for maintaining order in society, but where do you, as an atheist, get the idea that maintaining order in society is what people should do if not your own personal opinion? And if it is only your personal opinion, then what grounds do argue from that other people shouldn't also have their own opinions on the way people should behave?

No I don't. I derive my opposition to theft from a positive agreement in the concept of ownership as necessary for a civil society be it collective or private. You may derive it from elsewhere, and if you do then shame on you.
Then where do you derive your idea that society should be civil? Simply declaring that society should be civil does not make it so. You must derive your morals from some source, whether it be God, or self, or someone\something else. If you cannot point to some source, then we must assume that source is simply your own personal opinion. The question will keep regressing until you do.

This is going completely off-topic. You are attempting the outright obscene argument of saying that because I am anti-something (thievery) then I should be anti-everything. I have developed proportion and can understand the difference between specific actions, tendencies and behaviours. You cannot, and therefore your system of morality whether you derive it from is apparently broken.
Perhaps if you stop splitting up my paragraphs and instead read them in their entirety you would not have such trouble understanding them. This was simply further explanation of what I was talking about earlier in that same paragraph. I was asking what source you used to determine that thievery is not acceptable behavior, but that homosexuality is. Simply declaring it does not make it so.

It is a side discussion in this thread. I asked a few times to Herman Cain supporters what they make of his anti-Muslim bigotry and haven't received an answer.
Liberals throw the word "bigot" so much that it's pretty much meaningless these days. Who in their right mind would expect a Christian president would appoint Muslims to their administration? Muslims have a completely different worldview than Christians. Just take a look at what's happening over in Europe, especially France, because they're trying be "politically correct". If people want Muslims in office, then let them vote Muslims into office.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Liberals throw the word "bigot" so much that it's pretty much meaningless these days. Who in their right mind would expect a Christian president would appoint Muslims to their administration? Muslims have a completely different worldview than Christians. Just take a look at what's happening over in Europe, especially France, because they're trying be "politically correct". If people want Muslims in office, then let them vote Muslims into office.

Gee, you make it sound like there's no different world views among Christians. :wave: Hanging out here on CF makes that pretty obvious. Does that same view hold true for Jews as well as Muslims? :confused:
tulc(just wondering) :)

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
On Muslims in the office:

If the best person for the office is Muslim, and that person is not going to cause any traitorous acts against the country, pick him. This is not rocket science. We pick the best people for the job regardless of religion or ethnicity or anything else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Verticordious said:
So "directly depriving other people of property" is only behavior you think is wrong?
No it isn't. It is perhaps with irony that I might add that perhaps if you did not "split my paragraphs up" you would understand what I meant. Theft is just one inappropriate behaviour towards others.

Homosexuality is a very destructive behavior and it is inexcusable for a president to even think that it would be a good idea to giving legal recognition to such a behavior. Young kids are impressionable and the laws our society has have an impact on their, and if you don't understand that then I cannot help you, and if Cain doesn't understand that then I won't be voting for him.
The moderator above prohibited the discussion of homosexuality and conflated defending its legality and/or acceptance with supporting it. In any case, you know very well that we are both going to disagree on this point. Merely insisting that you know it to be destructive is just an expression of your beliefs, not mine.

My point was not that you are or aren't judgemental, my point was that you lack any authority beyond yourself to proclaim that certain behaviors are or aren't acceptable.
I don't even know what constitutes authority (according to theists) other than God to say that certain behaviours are acceptable. The fact that you would bring this up though is just frivolous. I do not defend my ideals based on my supposed 'authority' in saying them. I base them on moral reasoning. The troubling thing is that you apparently don't recognise moral reasoning which makes you mistake obedience to orders for morality.

Since you do not acknowledge God, and science is incapable of declaring a behavior to be acceptable or unacceptable, the only thing you have left is personal opinion.
All anyone has is personal opinion. All you have is personal opinion. All I have is personal opinion. Is this frivolity going anywhere?

I do agree that the concept of personal property is important for maintaining order in society, but where do you, as an atheist, get the idea that maintaining order in society is what people should do if not your own personal opinion?
From my desire to continue living in a civil society with all the benefits that brings. Do you suppose that we would be better off abandoning personal property and descending into collectivism or anarchism?

And if it is only your personal opinion, then what grounds do argue from that other people shouldn't also have their own opinions on the way people should behave?
You can have your opinion on whatever you like. Thought-crime is not my avenue. I just don't support the idea of a government giving people the right to cause an entire minority of people to go underground and pretend they don't exist in order to be employed.

Then where do you derive your idea that society should be civil?
From my own interest in living in a civil society. I rather like leaving the building and not having to worry (for the most part, obviously) about my property being taken from me, or being kidnapped, or killed etc. Don't you?

Simply declaring that society should be civil does not make it so.
Indeed. A good job then that no-one just thinks that declaring a society civil makes it so.

You must derive your morals from some source, whether it be God, or self, or someone\something else. If you cannot point to some source, then we must assume that source is simply your own personal opinion. The question will keep regressing until you do.
I am influenced by empathy, altruism, my own knowledge and insight as well as those around me in general. I could not say for sure which one has had more influence over all of the others.

Perhaps if you stop splitting up my paragraphs and instead read them in their entirety you would not have such trouble understanding them. This was simply further explanation of what I was talking about earlier in that same paragraph. I was asking what source you used to determine that thievery is not acceptable behavior, but that homosexuality is. Simply declaring it does not make it so.
I think we've been through this, haven't we? I already said why thievery is unacceptable in a civil society and homosexuality not.

Liberals throw the word "bigot" so much that it's pretty much meaningless these days. Who in their right mind would expect a Christian president would appoint Muslims to their administration?
I have no idea. Most nations in Europe tend to appoint able candidates regardless of their religious adherence. To outright open say though, in a constitutionally secular nation that Muslims will be barred from high political office is disgraceful and deserves rebuke. Would you mind if he was to support a step further and allow employers to fire people whose religion they don't like?

Muslims have a completely different worldview than Christians. Just take a look at what's happening over in Europe, especially France, because they're trying be "politically correct". If people want Muslims in office, then let them vote Muslims into office.
I am in Europe, mate.

I'm aware of how misinformed Americans are about Europe. Some seriously seem to believe that we're 25-50% under Sharia Law.

Upvote 0

Verticordious

Sep 4, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
✟8,768.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My point is that you are being silly to suggest that people ought to behave according to your personal opinions. If you do not acknowledge God then there is no higher authority that somehow makes your opinions of morality more noble or correct than anyone else's opinions. Your original argument was that homosexuality should remain a protected class because otherwise homosexuals would allegedly be the victims of employment discrimination. I then pointed out that practicing thieves are currently the victims of employment discrimination, and you then claimed they deserved it, but that homosexuals did not. Since we have now established that your reasoning for declaring one group deserving and the other undeserving is nothing more than personal opinion, you have no grounds to make any argument against anyone who disagrees.

Also, I'm not all that familiar with the governments of Europe, but the United States is a Christian Republic, not a full-fledged democracy. That is why we have 'In God we Trust' on our currency, that is why the US Capital building has a church in it with a stained glass window depicting George Washington kneeling in prayer, that is why the Supreme Court Bench has a depiction of Moses holding the ten commandments above it, that is why there are eight 12' by 18' oil paintings that were commissioned by congress that depict prayers, baptisms, and an open Bible (which you can read because the paintings are so big) located in the Rotunda, and many other religious symbols throughout Washington D.C. The United States is not, and has never been, a "constitutionally secular nation". It is disgraceful and deserves rebuke to suggest that a US President should appoint a Muslim or anyone else who is not Christian. If liberals want a Muslim in office so bad then let them vote one into office.

Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Also, I'm not all that familiar with the governments of Europe, but the United States is a Christian Republic, not a full-fledged democracy.
Proof?
That is why we have 'In God we Trust' on our currency,
Added in 1956.
that is why the US Capital building has a church in it with a stained glass window depicting George Washington kneeling in prayer, that is why the Supreme Court Bench has a depiction of Moses holding the ten commandments above it, that is why there are eight 12' by 18' oil paintings that were commissioned by congress that depict prayers, baptisms, and an open Bible (which you can read because the paintings are so big) located in the Rotunda, and many other religious symbols throughout Washington D.C.
There are lots and lots of Christians in the US. Many more back when it was founded. So it makes sense that you'd see a lot of religious artwork commissioned by people who had a vested interest in seeing the religion of their respective constituents put on display.
It is disgraceful and deserves rebuke to suggest that a US President should appoint a Muslim or anyone else who is not Christian. If liberals want a Muslim in office so bad then let them vote one into office.
Keith Ellison (politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Barack Obama, depending on who you ask. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Insane_Duck

May 29, 2011
✟1,763.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
How many times must I repeat myself? There are things more important in life than money.
What if you had children to support? You can't apply this answer to everyone. ("there are things more important than jobs and money, so it's okay if they are discriminated against and don't find a job")

I suppose if you ignore all the diseases and psychological disorders it causes/spreads, then yeah it is pretty harmless.
It doesn't cause any psychological disorders. (although repressing it often does) And lesbians have a much much lower rate of disease transmission than heterosexuals. Your point is moot.

Where do you get the idea that things "harmful in a practical matter" are wrong? You must be very new to atheism if you still think that there is any way to define morality outside of personal opinion without God.
Isn't that just a convenient thing for a christian to say. :p

Harmful is also a completely separate notion from right or wrong. We can get into an argument about objective morality later, but you completely dodged my point.

Does anyone have even a shred of rational argument against homosexual's rights?

Edit: Missed a bit.

Secondly, homosexuality most certainly is harmful in a practical matter. How exactly are the higher rates of HIV, AIDS, syphilis, suicide, substance abuse, multiple personality disorders, anxiety disorders, mood disorders, and various cancers to be considered theoretical? I expect that out president would not give such a self-destructive behavior any kind of legal recognition, and so if Cain is going to be soft on DADT then he definitely doesn't get my vote.
Do you have any sort of research to back that up?

Homosexuals get cancer more often? :p That's a new level of asinine. And yes they have a higher rate of AIDS transmission, but Lesbians have a rate far below that of heterosexuals. Is the preferred sexual orientation now lesbian?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Verticordious said:
My point is that you are being silly to suggest that people ought to behave according to your personal opinions.
That is what everyone does when they talk about what ought and what ought not. When you say that people should refrain from homosexuality you are merely expressing your personal opinion no matter where you say you derive it from. This is discussion forum and I make my arguments on different topics like everyone else and those reading it have to decide based on their interpretation of my reasoning wherever or not it is valid.

If you do not acknowledge God then there is no higher authority that somehow makes your opinions of morality more noble or correct than anyone else's opinions.
This is exactly the same of God, by the way. The only apparent justification for servitude towards God's perspective by theists is that he is powerful. That he can impose his opinions if he so choosed to and will do so anyway in the afterlife. If you want to say for yourself that you can only derive your behavioural standards from the 'authority' a supernatural arbiter then you make that for yourself. As I have said previously: I am not arguing on basis of my authority, but reason.

Your original argument was that homosexuality should remain a protected class because otherwise homosexuals would allegedly be the victims of employment discrimination. I then pointed out that practicing thieves are currently the victims of employment discrimination, and you then claimed they deserved it, but that homosexuals did not.
That's right. Though if theft is long off your record and you have been reformed, then employment discrimination again becomes unacceptable. If you are though a known open thief with no kind of guilt of recognition for your actions then an employer has every good reason not to employ you.

Since we have now established that your reasoning for declaring one group deserving and the other undeserving is nothing more than personal opinion, you have no grounds to make any argument against anyone who disagrees.
Since we have actually established that my reasoning for judging thieves as morally unacceptable in comparison to homosexuals is that the actions of the former themselves are endangering to the concept of ownership that we all take for granted I do actually have grounds to make that opinion.

Also, I'm not all that familiar with the governments of Europe, but the United States is a Christian Republic, not a full-fledged democracy.
Yes, and it shows. Few states are a full-fledged democracy, but the United States is a Secular Democratic Republic (more so in text than many European nations).

That is why we have 'In God we Trust' on our currency, that is why the US Capital building has a church in it with a stained glass window depicting George Washington kneeling in prayer, that is why the Supreme Court Bench has a depiction of Moses holding the ten commandments above it, that is why there are eight 12' by 18' oil paintings that were commissioned by congress that depict prayers, baptisms, and an open Bible (which you can read because the paintings are so big) located in the Rotunda, and many other religious symbols throughout Washington D.C. The United States is not, and has never been, a "constitutionally secular nation".
The 'In God We Trust' derived came in the 1950's. The rest of your references to imagery has nothing to do with the seperation of religion and state as located in the constitution.

It is disgraceful and deserves rebuke to suggest that a US President should appoint a Muslim or anyone else who is not Christian. If liberals want a Muslim in office so bad then let them vote one into office.
I don't insist that a hypothetical president must appoint a Muslim. Outright saying you will not appoint a Muslim despite their qualifications for the job entirely because of their religion is disgraceful and deserves rebuke.

Upvote 0

Insane_Duck

May 29, 2011
✟1,763.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point is that you are being silly to suggest that people ought to behave according to your personal opinions. If you do not acknowledge God then there is no higher authority that somehow makes your opinions of morality more noble or correct than anyone else's opinions. Your original argument was that homosexuality should remain a protected class because otherwise homosexuals would allegedly be the victims of employment discrimination. I then pointed out that practicing thieves are currently the victims of employment discrimination, and you then claimed they deserved it, but that homosexuals did not. Since we have now established that your reasoning for declaring one group deserving and the other undeserving is nothing more than personal opinion, you have no grounds to make any argument against anyone who disagrees.

Also, I'm not all that familiar with the governments of Europe, but the United States is a Christian Republic, not a full-fledged democracy. That is why we have 'In God we Trust' on our currency, that is why the US Capital building has a church in it with a stained glass window depicting George Washington kneeling in prayer, that is why the Supreme Court Bench has a depiction of Moses holding the ten commandments above it, that is why there are eight 12' by 18' oil paintings that were commissioned by congress that depict prayers, baptisms, and an open Bible (which you can read because the paintings are so big) located in the Rotunda, and many other religious symbols throughout Washington D.C. The United States is not, and has never been, a "constitutionally secular nation". It is disgraceful and deserves rebuke to suggest that a US President should appoint a Muslim or anyone else who is not Christian. If liberals want a Muslim in office so bad then let them vote one into office.(emph. added)
uhmm about the red and bolded portion? Nope, it's not. Never has been. :wave: I'd say that's some serious straw clutching if you think we're a "Christian Nation" based on the artwork in Washington DC. :sorry:
tulc(just thought you should know) :)

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0