Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From Ancient times come many heretical doctrines that Christian's still struggle with today.. Some will be easily recognized and some you may have never heard of....

An easy to read Encyclopedia including these subjects may be found at...
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/

I have complied a short list of heresy's for discussion....

However, I want to make a point...
A heretic's is the teacher of such a doctrine, not necessarily the followers. If one teaches heresy, he is then warned by the Church and made aware of the heresy. That person is then given a chance to refelct on it and return to the Church doctrine or face further difficulties, not all heretics were excommunicated from the Church... for example St. Augustine, St. Constantine, and many many others..

In this light, I am not calling anyone here a heretic, only seekers of truth.

I believe that it is the goal of most Christians to regain the TRUTH from the Ancient Church. Afterall Christ didn't mean for us to go changing things.

Arianism
Eutychianism
Monophysitism
Iconoclasm
Nestorianism
Pelagianism
Adoptionism
Priscillianism
Manichæism
Gnosticism
Pantheism
Modernism
Predestinarianism
Amalricians
Monarchians
Antinomianism

Protestantism http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12495a.htm
This one will be the hardest as it is the most prevelant in modern influance.
I dont mean to offend with this one, sometimes the truth is hard to hear...

The Three Fundamental Principles of Protestantism:
  • A. The Supremacy of the Bible; (solo scriptura)
    B. Justification by Faith Alone;
    C. The Universal Priesthood of Believers.
Forgive me.....:priest:

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JJM said:
Those two saint you mentioned did they begin preaching heresy and then return to the truth?
As I understant it they did... unite or reunite themselves with the Church before their dormition.

Forgive me....:priest:

Upvote 0

Mea Culpa

Mar 18, 2004
✟35,280.00
Faith
Christian
orthodoxyusa said:
From Ancient times come many heretical doctrines that Christian's still struggle with today.. Some will be easily recognized and some you may have never heard of....

An easy to read Encyclopedia including these subjects may be found at...
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/

I have complied a short list of heresy's for discussion....

A heretic's is the teacher of such a doctrine, not necessarily the followers. If one teaches heresy, he is then warned by the Church and made aware of the heresy. That person is then given a chance to refelct on it and return to the Church doctrine or face further difficulties, not all heretics were excommunicated from the Church... for example St. Augustine, St. Constantine, and many many others..

I believe that it is the goal of most Christians to regain the TRUTH from the Ancient Church. Afterall Christ didn't mean for us to go changing things.

Arianism
Eutychianism
Monophysitism
Iconoclasm
Nestorianism
Pelagianism
Adoptionism
Priscillianism
Manichæism
Gnosticism
Pantheism
Modernism
Predestinarianism
Amalricians
Monarchians
Antinomianism

Protestantism http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12495a.htm
This one will be the hardest as it is the most prevelant in modern influance.
I dont mean to offend with this one, sometimes the truth is hard to hear...

The Three Fundamental Principles of Protestantism:
  • A. The Supremacy of the Bible; (solo scriptura)
    B. Justification by Faith Alone;
    C. The Universal Priesthood of Believers.
Forgive me.....:priest:

If you argue that protestantism should be hereasy, you should also include Roman Catholic and Orthodox to that.

I am do not agree 100% with the RC, Orthodox, or any protestant group. The Bible lays out what a church is and is to be, and it spells out the truth. Yet each and every church in existance screws up somewhere. Some more than other. Some a LOT more than others.

Just so you know though, I am not a protestant, Catholic or Orthodox christian. I am not trying to protect one and attack another! This is just what I believe.

Upvote 0

Maccie

Jul 3, 2004
NW England, UK
✟1,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anti-Fear said:
orthodoxy-usa. You don 't really expect us to take that obviously one sided site seriously?
Anti-Fear said:
And what credibility does that council have? Why should anyone believe that those men in that council had the right idea?
That really is the funniest thing I've read on these Boards!!! Considering your "One-sided" views that you have posted Oh, so frequently, and your insistence that your view on the Bible is the only right one...........................

Words fail me!!

Maccie

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm afraid we would disagree on things, a Church cannot be a heresy in and of itself.
A heresy is the belief or practice itself, not the individual seeking to find the kingdom of God through the churches. Each group independant from one another does not define a heresy.
You may find heresy in a Western style church, however you will find them in eastern churchs as well. But these individuals are not the lie nor the liar, just seekers of Christ.

Many roads have been traveled many truths have been lost. Many good churches have grown from nothing in the wilderness and have done their best to find the truth in the scriptures alone. It doesn't have to remain so, the Ancient Church is not the roman church that persecuted inocents. It is the Church's in the East who have maintained the faith... come and see, I want to share it with you...

I will refernce the Orthodox Churchs teachings on all subjects (Please Lord don't let my hand stray)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anti-Fear

Repent Now
Sep 21, 2003
Berkeley
✟16,368.00
Faith
Protestant
I don't understand the utter non-sense you're talking about.
Are you saying that I view the Bible as the "only right one"
as opposed to what?

Maccie said:
That really is the funniest thing I've read on these Boards!!! Considering your "One-sided" views that you have posted Oh, so frequently, and your insistence that your view on the Bible is the only right one...........................

Words fail me!!

Maccie

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anti-Fear said:
I don't understand the utter non-sense you're talking about.
Are you saying that I view the Bible as the "only right one"
as opposed to what?
Holy Tradition, of which the scripture is a primary component. See the "Holy Tradition" section of www.greerlawfirm.com/orthodox.htm

Forgive me...:priest:

Upvote 0

Anti-Fear

Repent Now
Sep 21, 2003
Berkeley
✟16,368.00
Faith
Protestant
Holy tradition may or may not be correct or the right way. Its based on certain local traditions and interpretations.

orthodoxyusa said:
Holy Tradition, of which the scripture is a primary component. See the "Holy Tradition" section of www.greerlawfirm.com/orthodox.htm

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anti-Fear said:
Holy tradition may or may not be correct or the right way. Its based on certain local traditions and interpretations.
"Holy Tradition" is that which has been "revealed" by God to the church. There are "traditions" (small t) that ARE local but in the Orthodox Church they would have nothing to do with interpretation of scriptures. The scriptures where not meant to be "interpreted" by anyone except the Church who wrote it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ebb

Nov 30, 2003
Visit site
✟745.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I find applicable here what the Lord Jesus Christ said about those who try to remove a splinter out of their brother's eye, often have a two-by-four in their own. It's hard to find fault in one's self, for sure, I think mostly because of pride.

I think we can learn a lesson from studying the seven churches in Revelation. All of them had something wrong with them, which only Christ Himself in a position to judge could point out. But He gave promises to these same churches to those that would overcome.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For those who believe that the Bible is everything you need to know....

What is prosphora, how is it to be prepared, what symbols are Traditionally placed on it.

What is the name of the woman at the well? Hint: She is a memeber of the Orthodox Church.

Who wrote Revelations? (I mean the actual person who was St. Johns scribe on Patmos. Hint: He is a member of the Orthodox Church.

What happens to the "grape juice" you get in the small plastic cup after the communion service is over? How about the bread that was used, what happened to the left overs?
We thow them in the trash dont we? Imagine that... throwing the leftovers of the body and blood of Christ in the trash..
But that doesn't really bother us because we know deep within ourselves that it wasn't the real body and blood of Christ.

In the Orthodox Church even if the wine from communion is sprinked on the carpet we must remove the carpet. All the bread of the service is consumed by the clergy.

When do you pray the prayers in the Horologian Hint: Think hours

What is the Didache? How does it play a part in Christianity? Hint: Apostles

I ask these questions in order to get you to realize that the total "Holy Tradition" of the Church is not contained in the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And what credibility does that council have? Why should anyone believe that those men in that council had the right idea?

That's strange, they are credible when they assemble the Books of the Holy Scripture into a Bible, and toss out heretical writings that were in current use by various Churchs, defeated numerous heresies and codified doctrine that is held by all orthodox believers today, yet on other matters they are not credible. Sounds like picking and choosing what you want to believe.

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

So your "holy tradition" now declares St Augustine to be a heretic? :D

Next you'll be claiming Pelagius was a defender of orthodox doctrine.

BTW, it seems that you have neglected to put synergism on your list. ;)

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lotar said:
So your "holy tradition" now declares St Augustine to be a heretic? :D

Next you'll be claiming Pelagius was a defender of orthodox doctrine.

It seems that you have missed synergism. ;)
In fact no saint was perfect and most turned away from heretical teachings before their repose in Christ, and returned to the Orthodox Church.

St. Augustine was a "western Saint" a saint of Roman order but also a saint in the eyes of the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0