Here's your text books, oh and don't forget your beer.

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np...74&PHPSESSID=19e68ce224b8f6aee4e838f172f46747

UNL bookstore's beer coupons fall flat

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - An off-campus bookstore and a local restaurant chain on Wednesday killed a promotion offering a coupon for free beer to University of Nebraska-Lincoln students shopping for textbooks.

The privately owned Nebraska Bookstore had marked the return of students to school by handing out coupons good for a beer or a discount on buffalo wings at Brewsky's Food and Spirits.

But when university officials objected, both companies decided to cancel the offer.

"Our company does not condone underage drinking," said Barry Major, chief operating officer of Nebraska Book Co., which owns the bookstore at 1300 Q St.

"The university brought it to our attention, and the coupons were withdrawn," he said. "We're not offering them any more."

The bookstore was hoping to attract more business. Brewsky's Food and Spirits hoped to get its new Haymarket-area outlet off to a fast start, said co-owner Brian Kitten.

But Linda Major, director of NU Directions, the university's 5-year-old program to curb heavy drinking, thinks the coupons and the newspaper ads, fliers and sandwich boards touting the offer were sending the wrong message.

"Beer and books go together . . . (and) that's what this is communicating," said Major, who is not related to the bookstore executive. "A big part of our program is to disentangle alcohol from the college experience."

Binge drinking at the university has dropped from 62 percent of students surveyed in 1997 to 50 percent last year.

Nebraska's legal drinking age is 21.

At Brewsky's, co-owner Kitten said he thinks his restaurant group and the bookstore had handled the beer coupon offer properly.

"No one's going to come with 20 coupons for 20 free drinks," he said before canceling the promotion. "You get a coupon when you buy textbooks. . . . I guess you could make six trips to get six coupons, but I don't think anyone's going to do that."

Kitten said his advertising agency, Archrival Inc. of Lincoln, which also represents the bookstore, put the two companies together to arrange the promotion. Neither one paid the other any kind of fee.

Charles Hull, president of Archrival, acknowledged his role in the promotion but said it was up to his clients to say how they felt it was going.

Before the promotion was canceled, Kitten said he expected the bookstore to hand out about 10,000 coupons by the end of this week.

The coupons were to have been good through Sept. 19. For underage students or those who preferred not to drink, the coupons also could be used to knock $2 off the price of an order of buffalo wings.

Brian Cartier, executive director of the National Association of College Stores, an Ohio-based trade association, said he has never heard of a promotion like the Nebraska Bookstore's, though other stores may have tried.

The offer may be unique, but associating books with beer is not. Online bookstore ecampus.com urges students to sell their textbooks for beer money.

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ThePhoenix said:
JetBlack - American drinking laws suck. No one pays attention to them anyway (Yeah, no one I know had a beer at 18... riiiight)

Actually, I never had a beer until after I was 21.

The problem with making an offer like this is it's simply illegal. 18-year-olds cannot buy beer in that state. It's also illegal to supply underage people with beer. There are going to be 18, 19, and 20 year olds buying books.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Knight said:
The problem with making an offer like this is it's simply illegal. 18-year-olds cannot buy beer in that state. It's also illegal to supply underage people with beer. There are going to be 18, 19, and 20 year olds buying books.
Why is it necessarily a problem to give a beer coupon to an 18-year-old? It's not going to change his age or his appearance. He should still be carded, no matter what method of payment he intends to use.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Philosoft said:
Why is it necessarily a problem to give a beer coupon to an 18-year-old? It's not going to change his age or his appearance. He should still be carded, no matter what method of payment he intends to use.

The implication is that you are supplying them with beer. And you're right they should be carded. If they are they can't get it anyway and the coupon does them no good.

I agree with a previous poster. It would make more sense to give a coupon for a discount on future purchaces from the bookstore. College textbooks are not cheap.

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I had my first beer at age eleven...hey, my best friend had an alcoholic father, it's not my fault! ;) I do think it's sort of stupid to offer beer coupons since most new students can't drink legally, but hey..my school gives out sample goody bags with all sorts of stuff, including condoms and a sample bottle of Oberon so I can't talk.
Food coupons might have been the wiser way to go...

Upvote 0