United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the last century, a quiote of Leonard Ravenhill:
"I doubt if 5% of professing Christians in America are born again--and that's true of England!"

See also his other messages, sermons, lessons online if able.

I would agree not every Christian is a protestant evangelical, there are other types of Christian then just your brand.

• Agree
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hmmm It's true not everyone is equipped to "just" do anything. Yes, we are speaking in generalities and making invisible allowances for those who are just unable, incapable, or don't have opportunity ? to act like a Christian. (What did I just SAY???)

But if someone is unwilling to do what Jesus instructed us to do... yet they claim to be following Jesus, doesn't that make them a hypocrite? I think so.

So far you might be a hypocrite if...

you claim you are a Christian
you don't know the Bible at all
you don't share a salvation experience/the gospel with others
you don't go to church....

there's more right?

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many of us are having a serious discussion here. Please read the thread and join in or try and refrain from inserting OT irrelevant comments.

What about prayer? Doesn't someone who claims to follow Jesus need to talk to Him?

the 2014 study says:
About half of Americans (48 percent) say they pray at least every day, while a third (31 percent) say they pray several times a day. Overall, about two-thirds (65 percent) of Americans say they pray at least once a month.https://blog.lifeway.com/newsroom/2...y-but-rarely-for-celebrities-or-sports-teams/
Only 48% adults pray every day??????????? Ok wait, that's of all Americans (of which 70.6% claim to believe in God).

Here's that breakdown of the 70.6% I hope, of those who pray every day, for our categories:
59% Catholic
79% Evangelical Protestant
80% Historically Black Protestant
54% Mainline Protestant
57% Orthodox Christian

Came back to edit to add this: Margin of error is less than 1%!

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

But if someone is unwilling to do what Jesus instructed us to do... yet they claim to be following Jesus, doesn't that make them a hypocrite? I think so.

Be careful to not be stumbling block for those who are learning to live in a new way by throwing a hypocrite label on them.

So far you might be a hypocrite if...

you claim you are a Christian

Perhaps you meant something different here, but are you saying if you claim to be a Christian, you are a hypocrite? So we are to question someone even if they claim to be a Christian?

you don't know the Bible at all

Not knowing the bible makes you a hypocrite?

you don't share a salvation experience/the gospel with others

Is there a certain vocabulary or way of speaking that makes one witness better than another? Is there a timeframe and deadlines to be met. How about quota's?

you don't go to church....

So if someone doesn't go into a building every week set aside for religious purposes, they're a hypocrite? Is it possible to be a part of the body without being a part of organized religion?

there's more right?

Upvote 0

Sarcoline

Feb 1, 2018
USA
✟12,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have read the Bible about 12 times cover-to-cover. I lost track. After that many times, I think you do need to find ways to apply it rather than reading it along the same schedule. So, I would be part of the 9% I guess.

I think the point of the pie chart was that being part of the 9% is the goal even if it doesn't mean that the Bible is the only thing I read anymore. I read and apply sometimes more than I read now.

The point is that everyone who says they are a Christian should have read the Bible at least once. Preferably more considering how long it is and that it requires reading through it more than once to fully comprehend themes and to witness how it is fully integrated as a complete work rather than separated as individual parts. Very interesting OP.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Judgment
"Full of Grace and Truth", Vol. 2, pp. 81-95, Watchman Nee (CFP)

"Inasmuch as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this cometh judgment. (Heb. 9.27)
"This most solemn verse from the Bible is uncomfortable to read and unpleasant to hear. That which is appointed is twofold: that men will die, and that after death there is judgment. If you can escape God’s first appointment, you will be able to escape His second. If the first appointment, men’s death, is fulfilled, the second appointment, judgment, will also be fulfilled. Hence the question need not be asked first as to whether or not you will be judged; the first question should rather be whether or not you will die. Yet the subject before us for consideration is not death but judgment. This is a matter none of us likes hearing or takes pleasure in discussing. But there can be no escape from it, for if death is a sure thing, judgment too is certain. If you will die, then you will also be judged. Unless you can avoid the first appointment, you cannot avoid the second."

Judgment - Watchman Nee (CFP)

How to find out? Read the Bible and ask the Father to grant understanding.

"The Bible tells us certain facts. Whether or not you believe these to be true, they nevertheless are true. A fact will not become a fiction merely because of your unbelief. A fact is forever a fact. "

"What Is the Result of Judgment?"

"The Bible not only tells us there will be judgment, it informs us of the result of judgment as well. One day God will judge the sin of the world, "rendering vengeance to them that know not God, and to them that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus: who shall suffer punishment, even eternal destruction from the face of the Lord and from the glory of his might" (2 Thess. 1.8,9). This punishment is eternal perdition, even hell. What the Bible tells us of "God so loving the world" is quite true. Yet what it tells us of the hell fire is equally true. We are in a most perilous state if we have not received the grace of forgiveness. For the unbelieving will depart from the face of the Lord and descend into hell which is eternal perdition."

"Perhaps some will think that as they stand before the judgment throne of God, they can argue that He cannot put them in hell because they either did not understand when listening to the gospel or had not heard aright. You may prepare to reason with God at the time of judgment, but the Lord has already decided the way to answer you which leaves you with no excuse.

Listen to these sobering words of Jesus: "The men of Nineveh shall stand up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, a greater than Jonah is here" (Matt. 12.41). The Lord tells us what will happen at judgment. Will God himself condemn their sins at judgment? No. He will simply sit there and watch the men of Nineveh stand up to condemn them for their sins. How will this be?

Nineveh was a large and famous ancient city. Its inhabitants had sinned greatly. So God sent a prophet by the name of Jonah to proclaim to them that in forty days Nineveh would be overthrown. The men of that city heard what Jonah had announced. They proclaimed a fast and put on sackcloth—from the greatest even to the least of them. They sought God with earnestness. He saw their works that they turned in repentance from their evil way, and thus He spared them the destruction. They accordingly received the grace of sins forgiven. Much later, the Lord Jesus used this fact from ancient history to prove that the men of Nineveh would condemn Jesus’ generation for the sins they had committed. "

"Now the men of Nineveh heard the word of Jonah and had repented. Yet behold, here is One far greater than even Jonah! Today people hear the Son of God speaking. Today many have read the Bible, especially the Gospel according to John. Who then can make excuse that he has never heard the Son of God? If you have heard, how can you expect to escape the future judgment? For at the time of your judgment, the men of Nineveh will stand up and accuse, saying: "We ourselves heard Jonah and repented. How can you therefore escape, since you have heard the gospel of God’s Son but still did not repent?" "

"Perhaps someone will argue in this way: "The men of Nineveh had the opportunity to repent because Jonah actually went to Nineveh to preach. But I am one of the country folk. No one has preached the gospel in my district so that I might hear it. God will therefore probably not condemn a person such as I." In reply I will tell you what the Lord said about another incident, which will take away your excuse. "The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, a greater than Solomon is here" (Matt. 12.42). At the time of judgment, "the queen of the south" will rise up to answer the argument of such people and condemn this generation for its sins. "

"Now I will tell you how you can escape judgment. For us to escape we must first ask why we must be judged in the future. Since all have sinned, all will be judged. If you can escape sin, you will be able to escape judgment.

"Judgment" in Greek is the same word as "condemnation." Hence "after death cometh judgment" may be read with equal accuracy as: "after death cometh condemnation." No one can escape from sin. If there were no sin, we could tear down this house of meeting because there would be no need for it. Then, too, I would not have to be a Christian. I could burn the Bible and dare to do anything I wish. But sin is real, it is a fact; and therefore, I need a Savior. I know there is the Son of God who has borne my sins and has shed His blood to atone for us. I also know that if the sin question is solved, the judgment problem will also be solved. Precisely here is the way of salvation.

In what way does God save us from our sins? I have sinned, and for sinning I deserve to be judged and condemned to hell. But the word of God tells me that the Son of God has died for our sins. How sweet is the name of Jesus in my mouth. It sounds more pleasant than music in my ears, and it is the most poetic of all themes in my imagination.

The Son of God came to die for me. He has borne my sins on the cross and suffered for me the penalty of sin. Thus am I saved and freed. This is the gospel! My purpose is not to bring the voice of woe to you, saying that you must die and be judged. I only show you judgment in order to make you realize your need—you need a Savior, you need a Sin-Bearer. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the BIBLE frequently,
mediate day and night on the WORD OF YHVH (GOD).
Don't be found to fall short,
nor ever to be untrue, nor ever even thought to be a hypocrite ......

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. Actually less then 50% of americans call themselves christians today.

2. Your whole subject is rendered pointless since theres no verse that says "If you haven't read the bible more then once, your not a christian!". I assume though your also saying that doesn't mean they are saved in your opinion? Because that would be impossible since Jesus being in your heart is what saves you. Not reading your bible a few times a week.

The irony is a hypocrite made a topic about hypocrisy. I myself have a brain injury and have a very hard time reading the bible anymore. And yet I am still a christian because God is a loving God who understands people in certain situations in which they may not fully retain the bible or be able to read it all the time due to disabilities.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ironically, the Bible does not explicitly say we should read scriptures to know the Truth.

Jesus did very clearly said that the Spirit of Truth will be our guide for ALL Truth.

And it is prophecy that God in the last days, will pour out His Spirit to people. Very ironically, these statements we read in the Bible, diminishes the importance of the Bible. People can still know the Truth without ever reading the Bible. Is anyone thinking here that all people who never gets the chance to meet another Christian or even read the Bible is doomed to hell? This is not the case, not even remotely.....And it does not reflect justice because not everyone will get such chance in the real world. It is false teaching. The Pharisees then were also missionaries, they travel far, even across seas to preach about God but Jesus wasn't pleased.

The Spirit of Truth is NOT the Bible, obviously.

The Word was with God for the Word is God and the Word became Flesh (Jesus coming to the world). And then Jesus said it would become the Spirit, it would NOT become a book.

If the Word is God and if anyone thinks the Bible is the Word of God, what does that make a Bible to them? A God! It is idol worship.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Let's recap a bit. If a non believer asks a question about God or of a "religious" nature and you cannot answer because you do not know the Bible (i.e. don't hear or read it regularly)... or if you aren't sharing your own faith with anyone then to a non-believer who knows you say you are a Christian... to them you might be a hypocrite.

A hypocrite is a person who says one thing and does another... who fails to live up to the standards they proclaim.

If a non-believer thinks a Christian is a hypocrite because they don't read their Bible, then the non-believer is defining hypocrite in a very peculiar way.

A non-believer is more likely to think a person a hypocrite if a Christian proclaims that they are too busy reading their Bible to feed the poor and shelter the homeless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

frater_domus

Faith is all that matters.
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2018
Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interestingly enough (or maybe I should say ‘obviously enough’), when I do not read the bible for longer periods of time, I feel drained and unhappy, on top of feeling guilty. The lure of the flesh is strong though and oftennmy mind just drifts and I do not remember to do it. I truly lack focus and I pray that God will help me.

Having said that, I am prepared for busy schedules. I have a KJV and NIV version installed on my phone for reading as well as a dramatizised audio version of the KJV. It is pretty awesome ;)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,526.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Okay, now that you've shown us how non-believing Jews handled their judgments, and since we're moving on to the evangelical part of following Christ, can you share how Christians are to judge/assist one another?

In a honest, respectful and loving way only!

Upvote 0

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,526.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Christians are hypocrites.

Well, let me rephrase that: people who are not Christian judge people who say they are Christian, as hypocrites.

And they're right!

Let me be clearer though: there are millions of people who call themselves "Christians" who are not and so they do not --in fact are not able to-- behave like true Christians. For this reason I limit my own use of the term "Christian"!

A TRUE Christian is one who follows Christ. This thread will examine examples of how someone who claims to be a Christian probably isn't. (Rather more like the theme... you might NOT be a Christian if...)

HOW is someone who says he/she is a Christian really just a hypocrite?

One example is reading the Bible, or rather NOT reading the Bible. To a true believer, the Bible is God's Word! GOD Himself, speaking to us. Wow. It gives us instruction and is a main way that God speaks to His creation. One cannot know God without reading His Word.

Some have called it " Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. "

Only 9% of those claiming to be Christians have read GOD's WORD through more than once!

You might not be a real Christian if you don't read God's Word!

View attachment 222731

Personally I think that as long as we all are sinners, we all are in some way hypocrites. I like a quote that says: 'the church isn't full of hypocrites, there's plenty of room for more '.
But having said that I agree for the most part with you because the closer I come to the Lord, the more I want to study His word. I just can't get enough of the guidance and wisdom it gives me. It's my compass and comfort. That's why I don't really understand why one who calls himself Christian is so disinterested in His word...

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Christians are hypocrites.

Well, let me rephrase that: people who are not Christian judge people who say they are Christian, as hypocrites.

And they're right!

Let me be clearer though: there are millions of people who call themselves "Christians" who are not and so they do not --in fact are not able to-- behave like true Christians. For this reason I limit my own use of the term "Christian"!

A TRUE Christian is one who follows Christ. This thread will examine examples of how someone who claims to be a Christian probably isn't. (Rather more like the theme... you might NOT be a Christian if...)

HOW is someone who says he/she is a Christian really just a hypocrite?

One example is reading the Bible, or rather NOT reading the Bible. To a true believer, the Bible is God's Word! GOD Himself, speaking to us. Wow. It gives us instruction and is a main way that God speaks to His creation. One cannot know God without reading His Word.

Some have called it " Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. "

Only 9% of those claiming to be Christians have read GOD's WORD through more than once!

You might not be a real Christian if you don't read God's Word!

View attachment 222731
It's really between the believer and Christ, but Bible knowledge definitely helps. I listen to an audio Bible on Biblegateway.com sometimes. BibleGateway.com- Audio Bibles

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If a person has already accepted Christ or is baptized, you can't "un-christianize" them based on some criteria that you've dreamed up. At that point it's either discipleship or spiritual formation. You can "improve" them for their own betterment and reconciliation toward God or so that they can live better in community with others, but you can't take over from Jesus and tell his children that they've been disowned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've read the Bible so many times, that for quite a long time I go days or even weeks without opening it because it's on my heart. I know the Bible. I spend my time in prayer and helping others these days whereas before it would be spent reading the Bible. So, the fact that I don't read the Bible much anymore doesn't make me "not" Christian. I have read it, understood it, and now I put it into practice. One doesn't need to constantly read the physical words when they ring out in your mind, heart and spirit, and flow from your good deeds, and cry out to God through your prayers.

Bible only fallacy.
You're quite right. Psalms 119:11

• Friendly
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I understand where you are coming from, but there is something we need to realize.

There are many sheep who have been led into pastures barely able to support life, let alone growth. These individuals may truly long to have obedient hearts, but like Paul in Romans 7, the things they truly want to do, they do not do. And the things they really want to avoid doing? They end up doing them....again and again. Forgiven perhaps, but not free.

We must be careful to not judge by outward appearances. I would put forth that there are plenty of people who read their Bibles every day who are the quintessential definition of a hypocrite.

The truth is, God looks at the thoughts and intents of the heart. Right now, there are multitudes who, inside, are crying out for God, our deliver, to deliver them from the grip of Romans 7. And sadly, they get no instructions as to how to do so, because those leading the flock do not know themselves.

Did the Pharisees read the Torah every day? You bet. But never were there bigger hypocrites than them. Pride is a terrible sin, but religious pride, the sanctimonious “Thank God I am not like those sinners” crowd, is the very hardest to break free from, for when one thinks they have all the answers, and there is no hunger, no brokenness, no cry from the heart “O wretched man that I am. Who will deliver me?”, blindness has gone to the deepest phase.

So what is a true hypocrite, at least concerning the reading of God’s word? One who knows what God is asking of us, to love Hm with ALL of our hearts, and to love even the unloveable as we love ourselves, but who is quite content to read and even memorize these verses, and never do them, or even want to. If a man falls into this category, but knows his walk is not what God has for him, e may too be a prisoner, but our God will move mountains in the days to come to see that they discover the secret of abiding in His presence every minute of every day, so that they can be fruit-filled and truly loving as God loves.

With that said, I pray no one here thinks I speak badly about the Bible and it’s reading. The Word of God is in essence a book of promises for us. Most of what happened in the Old Testament is a picture of something more important for us living under the new covenant, and happened for OUR benefit. I think, however, that our problem is far less reading the Word, but rather believing what it tells us. All that is soon about to change

Blessings to you sister, and I pray you do not think this post is an attack on what you shared. Far from it. Early on in my Christian walk, almost every soul came to church with well marked, well worn Bibles. Those days for the most part are long gone, at least for now.

I pray with you that God will restore a love for His Word, but not as a requirement, or something we “need” to do. If it is not something we long to do, to feast on, we can read till the cows come home and it will sadly profit us nothing.

Blessings to you.

Gideon
Not only did you hit the nail on the head, you roughed up the wood surfaces, glued, clamped, all that after you notched out a perfect dovetail!

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a person has already accepted Christ or is baptized, you can't "un-christianize" them based on some criteria that you've dreamed up. At that point it's either discipleship or spiritual formation. You can "improve" them for their own betterment and reconciliation toward God or so that they can live better in community with others, but you can't take over from Jesus and tell his children that they've been disowned.
I think the fellow that made no gain with what had been entrusted to him by the Master might object.

I also think those servants of the master who were too busy with their worldly pursuits when they finally received their invitation to the wedding feast might object as well.

Then is there no security for the follower? Of course there is. The problem lies in the fact that none of us KNOW if we are wheat or tares. So what proves us? Enduring to the end with the intents of our hearts pleasing to God.

There will be multitudes in the final judgment who say ‘Lord, Lord’ and to their shock and dismay, will hear ‘Depart From me, all ye that work iniquity.’ What separates the wheat from the tares? The sheep from the goats? The saved from the deceived? In the end, God’s true children love the light and long to be delivered from the grasp of all darkness. The ‘Lord,Lord’ crowd just want Heaven without all that depart from evil stuff.

Up til now, none of us have really known that victory over the darkness inside us was even possible. But as we are awakened to the truth that we can “reckon ourselves dead to sin” and put on brand new natures by faith alone, true children of God will light their lamps and BE light.

The tares? They will be found arguing that since they are forgiven, all the talk about holiness and heart purity is simply a non-issue. They are mistaken.

We, the church, are about to be thrust into the valley of decision. Will we put on the armor of light and clothe ourselves with our new natures, or will we dig in our heels, and cling to the pet sins we simply cannot live without?

Amazingly, just as Jesus told us, it will be the thoughts and intents of our hearts that will either bid us joyful entrance into eternal life , or cause the doors to be shut in our faces when the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth begin. The blood of Jesus is an amazing thing, but make no mistake, those who want to abuse it will be found out.

Blessings,

Gideon

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not only did you hit the nail on the head, you roughed up the wood surfaces, glued, clamped, all that after you notched out a perfect dovetail!
You must have the gift of prophecy. LOL. The company I have is called Xanadu TimberWorks.

Gids

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
YHVH says there are 144000 at least,

"All have sinned and come short of the glory of God." "There is none righteous, no not one."

Not one of us live up to what we were meant to be, what we ostenibly are - created in the likeness of God.

YHVH does not say that you or anyone else would meet true ekklesia, does He ?

My understanding, as incomplete as it might be, is that everyone who acknowledges Jesus as Saviour and Lord, is by that fact, a member of the true ekklesia. I have also made it a point not to neglect meeting others who also regard Jesus as Lord and Saviour as instructed in Scripture, so I do indeed believe I have met other members of the true ekklesia, and done so under the guidance of that same shared Lord and Saviour. Together we seek to become as unhypocritical as we can be, by His grace and indwelling. My failure, even now, to live up to all He meant me to be, is a reflection on me, not Him. His patient, loving refusal to give up on me, is entirely a reflection on him, not me.

Upvote 0