Here's how "Christians" are hypocrites!

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No deception in the quote "preach the gospel at all times, use words if necessary". We don't always need words to open doors. God's Spirit leads and through Him we are able to know when to use words and when not to.

Gal. 5:22
The fruit bowl awaits.:clap:
A lot of deception in the quote you quoted, and in the source(s) of it. Enough said.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Actual Christians are actual hypocrites, because actual Christians are actual sinners. Which is why we need the actual Gospel and actual grace to actually save us. We need actual forgiveness.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My thoughts are that:

1.) A lot of people think they know enough about the Bible simply by listening to what the preacher says.
2.) A lot of people think only preachers can understand the Bible, and therefore don't bother.
3.) Some people think the Bible begins and ends with "for God so loved the world" and "judge not."

I don't think I'd go so far as to say they're not Christians, though.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What's more, even the Bible itself tells us "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God". First of all, it's by hearing, not reading. Second, it's by the rhema, or living word of God, not mere words on a page.

Logos becomes rhema in the hearing and believing heart, and that births faith. And faith, and our adherence to it, beginning with our Good Confession, is what saves us. (all Rom 10)

I think the reading includes the HEARING :

I didn't explain myself well enough. That's not the point. Of course, reading is pretty darn similar to hearing. What Paul is saying is that saving faith occurs when the heart "hears" the rhema word and sincerely responds. Those folks in the church you mention, if "hearing" the Word with their ears only will be availed nothing, as will the person simply reading by rote.

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Christians are hypocrites.

Well, let me rephrase that: people who are not Christian judge people who say they are Christian, as hypocrites.

And they're right!

Let me be clearer though: there are millions of people who call themselves "Christians" who are not and so they do not --in fact are not able to-- behave like true Christians. For this reason I limit my own use of the term "Christian"!

A TRUE Christian is one who follows Christ. This thread will examine examples of how someone who claims to be a Christian probably isn't. (Rather more like the theme... you might NOT be a Christian if...)

HOW is someone who says he/she is a Christian really just a hypocrite?

One example is reading the Bible, or rather NOT reading the Bible. To a true believer, the Bible is God's Word! GOD Himself, speaking to us. Wow. It gives us instruction and is a main way that God speaks to His creation. One cannot know God without reading His Word.

Some have called it " Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. "

Only 9% of those claiming to be Christians have read GOD's WORD through more than once!

You might not be a real Christian if you don't read God's Word!

View attachment 222731
I hate to say it, but Jesus and most of the 1st century disciples were hypocrites since they wouldn't have read the Bible through at all, given that the final works weren't written until the end of the first century.

The Pharisees would have read their scriptures many times, but it didn't stop Jesus calling them hypocrites.

A Christian is someone who follows the example of Christ, not someone who reads the Bible through.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I don't think I'd go so far as to say they're not Christians, though.
Good.
Do not say nor repeat anything that is not truth.

When YHVH reveals the truth, that is what in Christ ekklesia are to speak -
if they are Christians,
if they are not Christians,
speak the truth in love,
as YHVH says.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, that's too bad, I didn't get that at all from the quote.
Me either.

Sounds to me like "don't just talk the talk, but walk the walk".

People do more damage to the Gospel by preaching it without love. It would be better for their hearers if they said nothing. At least then, maybe they could receive it from someone who really cares about people.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Okay ok... no I'm not taking things personally here (unless you decide to flame me lol). At least not negatively. I surely didn't mean to come off as though I'm judging you because I'm better than you---IF you drew that conclusion I would suggest you look inward for the origin of those fears.

You don't have to introspect from this thread here. Let's just keep to the topic, address the topic and not fall into the fault of ONLY addressing someone else. We are discussing this like adults and what is the cliche? If you ask 3 --- for an opinion you'll get 4 of them?

We haven't even worked through 2 of the thoughts about what NON BELIEVERS think about people who call themselves CHRISTIANS... and using the survey to prove them correct. ;)

Let's recap a bit. If a non believer asks a question about God or of a "religious" nature and you cannot answer because you do not know the Bible (i.e. don't hear or read it regularly)... or if you aren't sharing your own faith with anyone then to a non-believer who knows you say you are a Christian... to them you might be a hypocrite.

How's that for a recap so far?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Well, let me rephrase that: people who are not Christian judge people who say they are Christian, as hypocrites.

And they're right!

Let me be clearer though: there are millions of people who call themselves "Christians" who are not and so they do not --in fact are not able to-- behave like true Christians. For this reason I limit my own use of the term "Christian"!

A TRUE Christian is one who follows Christ. This thread will examine examples of how someone who claims to be a Christian probably isn't. (Rather more like the theme... you might NOT be a Christian if...)

One example is reading the Bible, or rather NOT reading the Bible. To a true believer, the Bible is God's Word! GOD Himself, speaking to us. Wow. It gives us instruction and is a main way that God speaks to His creation. One cannot know God without reading His Word.

Only 9% of those claiming to be Christians have read GOD's WORD through more than once!

View attachment 222731
What if you can read and do read it, but have no idea what to make of it? It feels like a chaotic jumble without any context.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What if you can read and do read it, but have no idea what to make of it? It feels like a chaotic jumble without any context.

Fair enough question.

Even a new-born believer will understand much of the "gospels" and the book of Romans. No, without outside influence and study (except by the annointing of the Holy Spirit) one wouldn't know about the history of Rome, the Jews and Romans and customs etc or even that the Olympics played a big part in Paul's writings to help them understand. But the Psalms comfort even non-believers at times.

However, with that said, it does refer to a true believer. God says, "For the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God for they are foolishness to him; neither can he know them for they are spiritually discerned." You must have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (which all believers do) to understand what God is saying. Just as Jesus spoke in parables so the unholy Jew wouldn't be able to understand, much of God's Word is for His people, believers.

A new believer will crave God's Word to know what He says for them, imo.

PS Some of the more recent editions are not good ... period. Stick with a "translation" of the Bible. This means that the publishers and editors used the "original" transcripts for their edition, not another version or a paraphrasing edition.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let me reiterate the premise here:

Believers are those who have put their trust in Jesus for their salvation.

Christians are those who put their faith into action, actively following Jesus' commandments especially in showing others to Him.

You can be a believer but not a Christian. Believing but not displaying it.

You cannot be a Christian without being a believer. THIS is what the thread is about: those people who are not true believers but masquerading about as Christians.

IF you are a believer, imo, and trying to follow Jesus you are a Christian.

I might not follow Jesus very well, and I might not be the best Christian, but I admit my shortcomings and keep the focus on Jesus, Whom is PERFECT!

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, that's too bad, I didn't get that at all from the quote.

Perhaps, this is what to get from that quote, "Be a a doer of the word, and not just a hearer only"

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

And they're right!

View attachment 222731
I don't think there are many perfect Christians. Some of them are hypocrites.

Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And they're right!

View attachment 222731
This is straight on for most of America. There are places in the world where the Bible isn't easily or safely accessed. That does not make those brothers and sisters in Christ any less saved or Christ-like. In fact, I'd venture to say they are more Christ-like because persecuted Christians have to choice but to depend on God, whereas most of us in the free world can depend on ourselves quite comfortably.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Correct. We are talking about the USA where 70.6% claim to be "Christian".

I daresay that with the error rate at the norm (3. % or so) that those contacted have access. Most had access to phone, internet etc and those who did not were provided with such so they could reply.

Now, we have people who say they are Christian who don't read/listen to/study God's Word, nor do they share the gospel with others. What about going to church?

From a 2008 survey (not the latest) we get this:

"A recent U.S. survey of adults who don’t attend church, not even on holidays, found that 72 percent thought the church ‘is full of hypocrites,’ but that 78 percent would ‘be willing to listen’ to someone who wanted to share their beliefs about Christianity. At the same time, 72 percent of respondents also said they believe God exists.
"
The survey results were published last week by LifeWay Research, the research arm of the Southern Baptist Convention. The organization surveyed 1,402 ‘unchurched’ adults last spring and summer. The margin of error is 2.5 percentage points."

The above includes all adults, all faiths... but if we break it down (oh wait, they did that) 39% of Catholics attend at least once a week, 53% of Historically Black Protestant, 58% Evangelical Protestant, 33% Mainline Protestant, and 31% Orthodox Christian Religious Landscape Study

Those who don't attend church(whose opinions are important when discussing OUR behavior) say that the church is full of hypocrites. We aren't talking about what you just call "sinners" and people who aren't "perfect" here, we are discussing the average church goer and how what they say doesn't match what they do (the true Christian hypocrite!)

From the Pew Research 2014 we find that only 36% of adults attend once a week, and 30% saying they never go!

You might be a hypocrite if you say you're a Christian and never go to church or fellowship with other believers!

Here's another interesting tidbit (in addition to the one about people willing to listen to us tell them about our faith)

of 1,000 Americans, LifeWay Research found six out of 10 Americans typically attend church at Christmastime.

But among those who don’t attend church at Christmastime, a majority (57 percent) say they would likely attend if someone they knew invited them.

and

The more often America attend church, the more likely they are to read the Bible daily. Thirty-nine percent of those who attend worship services at least once a month read a bit every day, while only 13 percent of those who attend services less than once month pick up a Bible daily.

Almost all churchgoers want to honor God, but more than a third indicate obedience is not something they have done when it is costly to them," Stetzer said.

Are we to draw a conclusion then that one of the reasons (though they don't confess this) people who pretend to be Christian don't read the Bible, don't tell others about Jesus, and don't go to church is because they are pretending and don't want to face their sin? Hmmm

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why ? It is used to deceive many people into silence of the truth, and to hide the truth from them.

Not really. If your a Christian then you should live like it and that is a witness, not everyone is equip just to walk up to strangers and talk away (which could alienate them if one is to pushy) everyone has different gifts but everyone who is a believer can live i which can make people curious to ask questions. I don't go up talking to people I live a Christian life and use words if I must.

Upvote 0