• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Here's a likeable thread: name one thing - about a denomination other than your own - that you like

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Gottservant, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Neostarwcc

Neostarwcc We are saved purely by the work and grace of God. Supporter

+3,202
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    I like how the Catholics are just as crazy about Augustine as we are. Although calling him a Saint is a little overboard.

2. bbbbbbb

bbbbbbb Well-Known Member

+11,008
    Non-Denom
    The irony, of course, is that the RCC is synergistic although Augustine was certainly not.

3. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,128
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I respect the Catholic willingness to fight legal battles in America on behalf of not only themselves, but for all Christians who remain true to the practice of their faith.

4. bbbbbbb

+11,008
    Non-Denom
    I greatly admire the Counter Reformation churches built by the RCC. Many of them, especially the Baroque ones, are masterpieces of architecture.

5. Gottservant

Gottservant God loves your words, may men love them also Supporter

+547
    Messianic
    This is turning out to be such an interesting thread!

I always thought believers were of the same mind, but it turns out they are optimistic, too!

6. Fervent

Fervent Well-Known Member

+805
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Depends on what you mean by "synergistic" in both cases. Catholic soterology doesn't have man cooperate with God in salvation, except through God's enabling. It's simply that they believe that there is merit in the works produced after confession and acceptance of the gospel, though the merit comes from God. Augustine's position is somewhat difficult to determine precisely because most of what we have in that regard is highly polemic literature, and Augustine had a tendency to embellish his arguments to increase their force but in the less polemic works his position lines up with Catholic orthodoxy for the most part. Reformed positions simply rest on his more...motivated...arguments.

7. mama2one

mama2one Well-Known Member

+8,853
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    a married Pastor used to be a neighbor

liked that their church suggested being there for your neighborhood- according to their website

Pastor/wife held Bible studies in home for neighbor kids
    they also did vacation Bible camp for kids on our street

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  8. bbbbbbb

+11,008
    Non-Denom
    Speaking of neighbors, when I first move here the neighbors to my south were a lovely lesbian couple. One was the pastor of a local UCC church. I never had an unkind word or thought concerning these ladies. They really strove to be good neighbors to all of us.

9. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional Liturgical Christian

+1,814
    United States
    Generic Orthodox Christian
    Celibate
    Indeed, even though I object to the sin of homosexuality because it is self-destructive behavior, I don’t bring this up with gay people unless they explicitly ask me, because there are many gays I love and care about who are less sinful than I, so I would be a hypocrite to rebuff their kindness. For example, I know a celebrated Imagineer from WDI who was there when Walt was alive, who is gay, and a really nice guy who did some incredible works of art and engineering. Few people alive fused the two disciplines the way he has.

Also one of my favorite architects is the late Philip Johnston, memory eternal.

10. bbbbbbb

+11,008
    Non-Denom
    Philip Johnson was, indeed, a most interesting architect, beginning his career with Henry Russell Hitchcock in 1932 with the famous International Style architectural exhibition at the newly-organized Museum of Modern Art and then evolving his own style through the variations of PostModernism. I have no idea concerning his religious beliefs, nor does it concern me.

I also attempt to connect with people on a personal level rather than have a knee-jerk reaction to obvious differences. That is probably one value that I gained while growing up in a predominantly Catholic city.

11. The Liturgist

+1,814
    United States
    Celibate
    I had the pleasure of dining at the Four Seasons restaurant in New York City (unrelated to the hotel chain), which was one of the earliest projects of Philip Johnston, who designed the restaurant as part of the exquisite Seagram Building by Mies van der Rohe. It was splendid; the Grill Room featured metal rods which suggested rain clouds, and the Pool Room, where I ate dinner, had, surrounded by four potted trees, a central water pool, illuminated, with a very gentle fountainin which polished metal balls gently clinked together, producing a soothing, hynotic effect, when combined with the window shades, which silently rippled continually due to the subtlety of the fabric, producing a hypnotic effect.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+15,293
    Christian
    Married
    The Salvation Army has disaster response nailed down in such an incredible national system that it boggles the mind--it's as good as anything the military could have devised. Any congregation that wants to help in disaster relief should just send their money to the Salvation Army.

Mormons know how to care for one another. You rarely find a Mormon who doesn't have a job because they look after each other. When Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, the Mormons already had an evacuation plan that had identified each Mormon's ride out of town, where he'd be evacuated to, and who he would stay with.

13. bbbbbbb

+11,008
    Non-Denom
    His name was actually Johnson, not Johnston. The Four Seasons restaurant was, indeed, quite splendid. Interestingly, they completely changed the decor four times each year in keeping with the seasons - hence the name. Several years ago the entire restaurant was completely overhauled. I am not sure when you ate there, but it sounds as if you dined in the earlier version, which Philip Johnson designed.

You might enjoy this - Philip Johnson - Wikipedia

14. The Liturgist

+1,814
    United States
    Celibate
    The restaurant was not overhauled - its lease was terminated following a scandal involving one of the owners and sexual harassment, they relocated to a different premises, but I believe they went out of business. The Grill Room and the Pool Room then became two separate restaurants.

The whole affair was a crime against architecture, art and cuisine. But it must have made the owners of 21 pretty happy.

15. The Liturgist

+1,814
    United States
    Celibate
    As I said in post #39, the Mormons aren’t a Christian denomination.

I greatly admire the Anglo Catholics (high church Anglicans) for doing the same thing that the Salvation Army was doing in the late 19th century, while simultaneously being persecuted by Low Church Anglicans and being sent to prison for wearing chasubles, even though, as Rev. Percy Dearmer pointed it out, the Ornaments Rubric specifically allowed the use of anything dating from the reign ot King Edward VI, which included chasubles.

16. bbbbbbb

+11,008
    Non-Denom
    Thanks for the clarification. My memory was quite foggy on the matter.