Here We Go Again: Virulently Anti-Gay Pastor Resigns...

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
...after getting caught using drugs and hiring prostitutes.

Pastor Who Praised Pulse Nightclub Gunman Resigns After Allegedly Paying for Sex

A Baptist minister in Texas who came to national attention in 2016 when he praised the gunman who killed 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., resigned from his ministry last week after allegedly using drugs, gambling and paying for sex with prostitutes.

Donnie Romero, who founded the Stedfast Baptist Church in Fort Worth in 2014, told congregants at a church meeting on Jan. 2 that he had not “been ruling my house well.”

My shocked face:
:sleep:

☦Marius☦

Murican
Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess on the upside it wasn't male prostitutes? :crosseo:

Usually the one's preaching the loudest and proudest are the ones desperately trying to convince other's that they sin less then the ones they are preaching to.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
IIRC, they didn't say one way or another.

Right, in all the reporting I saw, they went out of their way to say the gender of the prostitutes remains unknown. Well, to the world at large, anyway.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,814.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I guess on the upside it wasn't male prostitutes? :crosseo:

Usually the one's preaching the loudest and proudest are the ones desperately trying to convince other's that they sin less then the ones they are preaching to.
I have said often, watch the preachers who are most vocal against homosexuals.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have said often, watch the preachers who are most vocal against homosexuals.

Not just preachers...but anyone.

This article from Scientific American sheds some light on the topic:
Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals

"This study shows that if you are feeling that kind of visceral reaction to an out-group, ask yourself, 'Why?'" co-author Richard Ryan, a professor of psychology at the University of Rochester, said in a statement. "Those intense emotions should serve as a call to self-reflection."

In four studies, the researchers looked at the discrepancies between what people say about their sexual orientation and their implicit sexual orientation based on a reaction-time test. The studies involved college students from Germany and the United States.

Participants indicated their own level of homophobia, both overt and implicit; in word-completion tasks, students wrote down the first three words that came to mind when prompted with some of the words' letters. Students were primed at some point with the word "gay" to see how that impacted the amount of aggressive words used.

For the implicit measure, students had to categorize words and pictures flashed onto a computer screen into "gay" or "straight" groups. Words included "gay," "straight," "homosexual" and "heterosexual," while the pictures showed straight and gay couples. Before each trial, participants were primed with the word "me" or "others" flashed momentarily onto a computer screen. The researchers said quicker reaction time for "me" and "gay," and a slower association of "me" with "straight" would indicate said an implicit gay orientation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

"This study shows that if you are feeling that kind of visceral reaction to an out-group, ask yourself, 'Why?'" co-author Richard Ryan, a professor of psychology at the University of Rochester, said in a statement. "Those intense emotions should serve as a call to self-reflection."

In four studies, the researchers looked at the discrepancies between what people say about their sexual orientation and their implicit sexual orientation based on a reaction-time test. The studies involved college students from Germany and the United States.

Participants indicated their own level of homophobia, both overt and implicit; in word-completion tasks, students wrote down the first three words that came to mind when prompted with some of the words' letters. Students were primed at some point with the word "gay" to see how that impacted the amount of aggressive words used.

For the implicit measure, students had to categorize words and pictures flashed onto a computer screen into "gay" or "straight" groups. Words included "gay," "straight," "homosexual" and "heterosexual," while the pictures showed straight and gay couples. Before each trial, participants were primed with the word "me" or "others" flashed momentarily onto a computer screen. The researchers said quicker reaction time for "me" and "gay," and a slower association of "me" with "straight" would indicate said an implicit gay orientation.

How old is the article? Because they've sinced dismissed "implicit association" tests as junk science and largely worthless.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Of course. Isn't everyone today? If you have the audacity to believe an action or belief is not God's Plan for us based on His Word, you must be a (fill in the blank with the appropriate "ist" or "obe"). Homophobia is an entirely made-up word. No one "fears" people who engage in sex with others of the same gender, and most don't even have any idea who they are, unless they tell you. You fear a wild animal approaching you, or a visible tsunami rolling in. That will get your adrenaline going.

A college student experiment tells us little. Maybe one feels a "visceral reaction" (whatever that is, in this experiment) due to former molestation in childhood, or because Mom or Dad left for someone else, or because of any number of possibilities completely unrecognized by this little word game. The study details aren't mentioned in the short article.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How old is the article? Because they've sinced dismissed "implicit association" tests as junk science and largely worthless.

Looks like it was from 2012.

Do you have links to the articles that identify it as junk science?

I've looked around and can find 4 or 5 more referencing the 2012 study, but nothing in regards of any subsequent studies that refuted or dismissed the hypothesis.

There have been other data reference points to use that also seem to fall in line with the idea that those who outwardly express the most vehemently anti-gay sentiments, seem to coincide with certain behaviors that indicate otherwise.

I won't link the article directly, simply due to some subject matter in there that would violate forum rules, but if you'd like to find it, it's on buzzfeed, and the article title is:
According To <insert adult website name here>, The South Watches More Gay inappropriate content Than Any Other Part Of The U.S.

In a nutshell, in states where the majority of the populations are anti-gay (at least publicly, and in terms of how they vote), they have the highest percentage of distinct users (determined by IP address to weed out the cases of the same user repeat-watching) searching for content of the Gay and Trans genre.

Now, the possibility exists that is a small segment of people all watching the content...however, it's more likely that there are some people who are bashing it when they're out in public, but when they're alone on their PC when nobody is watching, it's a different story...

However, I know a lot of conservatives like to dismiss theories like these simply because they perceive it as a "gotcha"-style/"loaded question" tactic from the left where they're being presented with the premise "You're either supportive of us, or you're secretly gay yourself".

But in reality, the idea is worth consideration. In most cases, hating a certain attribute is a learned behavior and not something that someone is just going to start doing out of the blue. So it stands to reason that if someone was being taught to hate a certain thing, it likely mean that their parents, community, or social circles are against that thing...so a person who secretly has those feelings, who lives among them, and wants to remain accepted by the group, is likely to be the most vocal in trying to convince the rest of the group "I'm not one of those!" in order to not be shunned.

It's not really unlike how kids with a domineering parental figure at home, who constantly rails against "weakness" and "wimps", will often times act out in ways that are aggressive toward others simply to try to prove to everyone "I'm not wimp" due to being taught at home that it's a terrible thing and something unacceptable to their father.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Homophobia is an entirely made-up word. No one "fears" people who engage in sex with others of the same gender, and most don't even have any idea who they are, unless they tell you. You fear a wild animal approaching you, or a visible tsunami rolling in. That will get your adrenaline going.

"phobia" doesn't necessarily need to refer to a "terrified fear" feeling.

If you look at the definition, an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.

It also can me "an irrational aversion (dislike)" or "involuntary aversion"

For instance, someone with vision issues or migraines often suffer from "photophobia" - which just means light sensitivity...they're not afraid of light in the sense of having some sort of irrational fear, they're just sensitive to it because it causes them some discomfort. They're not afraid of light like someone with arachnophobia is afraid of spiders.

PS: you do realize that, at their core, every word is "made up" at some point in time right? lol

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If you look at the definition, an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.

For instance, someone with vision issues or migraines often suffer from "photophobia" - which just means light sensitivity...they're not afraid of light in the sense of having some sort of irrational fear, they're just sensitive to it because it causes them some discomfort. They're not afraid of light like someone with arachnophobia is afraid of spiders.

PS: you do realize that, at their core, every word is "made up" at some point in time right? lol

You do realize that someone with principles is not "irrational" because he adheres to those principles? (Biblically-adherent) Christians believe that sexual immorality (among other things ) is wrong.

Stealing is wrong. I have "an aversion" to stealing. It's ridiculous to assume I must be a thief myself because I believe stealing is wrong.

Adultery is wrong. I have "an aversion" to adultery because it blows up families and is supremely selfish. According to this whacked assumptions being promoted, I must be an adulterer because I believe this ....which is ridiculous. It's just wrong. I've seen it happen and I've seen the results.

Lying is wrong. Lying hurts people and destroys relationships. I acknowledge this and agree with what God said about it, and it is ridiculous to suppose that this makes me a liar.

I could go on all day.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Good point. Just because the aversion is religiously indoctrinated doesn't change the reality.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You do realize that someone with principles is not "irrational" because he adheres to those principles? (Biblically-adherent) Christians believe that sexual immorality (among other things ) is wrong.

Stealing is wrong. I have "an aversion" to stealing. It's ridiculous to assume I must be a thief myself because I believe stealing is wrong.

Adultery is wrong. I have "an aversion" to adultery because it blows up families and is supremely selfish. According to this whacked assumptions being promoted, I must be an adulterer because I believe this ....which is ridiculous. It's just wrong. I've seen it happen and I've seen the results.

Lying is wrong. Lying hurts people and destroys relationships. I acknowledge this and agree with what God said about it, and it is ridiculous to suppose that this makes me a liar.

I could go on all day.

...but your examples aren't in the same ballpark, as they're actions that do have a direct negative impact on someone other than the one engaging in them.

For instance, if I steal your car...you no longer have your car. That negatively impacted you.

If you hate the way mustard tastes, me eating mustard doesn't impact you negatively.

When discussing the subset of "phobia" that refers to "irrational aversions", it's key to point out what "rational" and "irrational" are.

Irrational would be where you want to treat non-victimizing aversions in the same manner that you'd victimizing ones.

So for instance, if you hate mustard...deciding not to eat it or buy it is completely rational. Pushing to use the legal system in order to limit the actions of other people who eat mustard because of your mustard-dislike would be irrational.

Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
...but your examples aren't in the same ballpark, as they're actions that do have a direct negative impact on someone other than the one engaging in them.

For instance, if I steal your car...you no longer have your car. That negatively impacted you.

If you hate the way mustard tastes, me eating mustard doesn't impact you negatively.

When discussing the subset of "phobia" that refers to "irrational aversions", it's key to point out what "rational" and "irrational" are.

Irrational would be where you want to treat non-victimizing aversions in the same manner that you'd victimizing ones.

So for instance, if you hate mustard...deciding not to eat it or buy it is completely rational. Pushing to use the legal system in order to limit the actions of other people who eat mustard because of your mustard-dislike would be irrational.

I think the issue is that somebody with an authoritarian mindset can't understand an ethic based on harm rather than perceived deontology. "God says it, that settles it" is where these conversations typically end. Of course, that sort of mindset is probablematic for many people, because it begs the question of how we know what God says is right in the first place (Euthyphro dilema). It hangs itself on epistemology.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Kinda related,

the States that are considered the most racist are also the States that download the most interracial inappropriate content :p

• Informative
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Looks like it was from 2012.

Do you have links to the articles that identify it as junk science?

I've looked around and can find 4 or 5 more referencing the 2012 study, but nothing in regards of any subsequent studies that refuted or dismissed the hypothesis.

There have been other data reference points to use that also seem to fall in line with the idea that those who outwardly express the most vehemently anti-gay sentiments, seem to coincide with certain behaviors that indicate otherwise.

I won't link the article directly, simply due to some subject matter in there that would violate forum rules, but if you'd like to find it, it's on buzzfeed, and the article title is:
According To <insert adult website name here>, The South Watches More Gay inappropriate content Than Any Other Part Of The U.S.

In a nutshell, in states where the majority of the populations are anti-gay (at least publicly, and in terms of how they vote), they have the highest percentage of distinct users (determined by IP address to weed out the cases of the same user repeat-watching) searching for content of the Gay and Trans genre.

Now, the possibility exists that is a small segment of people all watching the content...however, it's more likely that there are some people who are bashing it when they're out in public, but when they're alone on their PC when nobody is watching, it's a different story...

However, I know a lot of conservatives like to dismiss theories like these simply because they perceive it as a "gotcha"-style/"loaded question" tactic from the left where they're being presented with the premise "You're either supportive of us, or you're secretly gay yourself".

But in reality, the idea is worth consideration. In most cases, hating a certain attribute is a learned behavior and not something that someone is just going to start doing out of the blue. So it stands to reason that if someone was being taught to hate a certain thing, it likely mean that their parents, community, or social circles are against that thing...so a person who secretly has those feelings, who lives among them, and wants to remain accepted by the group, is likely to be the most vocal in trying to convince the rest of the group "I'm not one of those!" in order to not be shunned.

It's not really unlike how kids with a domineering parental figure at home, who constantly rails against "weakness" and "wimps", will often times act out in ways that are aggressive toward others simply to try to prove to everyone "I'm not wimp" due to being taught at home that it's a terrible thing and something unacceptable to their father.

Well, it looks like a version of the implicit association test which has proliferated in the psychological community for the past 20 years.

The test has been solidly debunked as utterly worthless.

Psychology’s Favorite Tool for Measuring Racism Isn’t Up to the Job

Upvote 0