Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If our Church was not affilitated with a bunch of homosexual pedophile (ex?)priests causing dioceses across the US to be sued, Robin William's words would fall on deaf ears. I don't like most of his work and am in disgust at how skewed the media is for some groups and against others. Oddly, our Church is quiet about this bias unless someone mentions the Church. If the man says something that hits a bit close to home, maybe we should look at ourselves before lashing out at him.

Upvote 0

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
If our Church was not affilitated with a bunch of homosexual pedophile (ex?)priests causing dioceses across the US to be sued, Robin William's words would fall on deaf ears. I don't like most of his work and am in disgust at how skewed the media is for some groups and against others. Oddly, our Church is quiet about this bias unless someone mentions the Church. If the man says something that hits a bit close to home, maybe we should look at ourselves before lashing out at him.
Uh no, he paints with a brod brush and mocks our celibacy in order to hurt Her.

Rome is dealing very well over the last few years with the over exagerated events that occured in the ranks and have new policy in place as well as directives for avoiding this in the future.

Many Catholics fall into mainstream think and not look at the whole picture and seeing the reality of what their church is all about and how She loves her purpose and mission.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
They weren't exaggerated. If they were isolated events, it would be exaggerated. But the leaders knew of it and covered it up, making it an institutional problem.
Agreed. If the Bishops had put the offenders in the back of police cars instead of back in the parishes there would have been no scandal because the rare of pedophilia in the RCC clergy mirrors society and is less than half the rate of the protestant clergy (according to Dateline).

And the fact is the rate of sexual abuse in the Church by clergy should be zero.

But also a fact: Robin Williams painted an inflamatory picture of the RCC, the entire point being to belittle our religion and beliefs. This was a tear down.

Upvote 0
In our politically correct world we have freedom of speech, so long as you watch what you say. You really have to be careful saying anything about any sort of minority. We are the largest church and very misunderstood, that makes Catholics a great choice.

And besides, we earned the pedophile remarks fair and square.

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If we boycotted everyone who bashed the Catholic Church, we'd hardly be able to watch anything. One of the things you'd learn from his stand up routine is that he really doesn't seem to care who he offends, so I'm not that surprised. He's made a joke about the scandal in his stand up routine before.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The exageration was that the media paints it to be how all priests are. "Look out if you are an alter boy".

Exagerations of the truth are the basis of most humor. all Priests mollest kids, all French people are cowards, Jew are money-hungry, Irish are alcoholics. Unless you've never laughed at a jab at another group, don't take this too seriously. If you never have, then start now. Life's not so serious that we can't smile at someone else's expense once in a while.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In our politically correct world we have freedom of speech, so long as you watch what you say.

I was thinking about this the other day. The government ensures that we can (for the most part) say what we want. They ensure that we will not be prosecuted for said speech. However, they make no promises that there will not be other, less-than-legal repercussions that come because of that speech.

There is the court of the United States government and there is the court of Public Opinion. The government has justice and the public has no mercy.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In our politically correct world we have freedom of speech, so long as you watch what you say. You really have to be careful saying anything about any sort of minority. We are the largest church and very misunderstood, that makes Catholics a great choice.

And besides, we earned the pedophile remarks fair and square.
We did not earn anything. Follow the money. This is sensationalism and lawyerism.

Amnesia syndromes, rewriting state laws specifically allowing the Catholic Church to be exempt from statutes of limitations, milllion dollar settlements, billion dollar awards.

Last year I watched on Court TV where a Priest was convicted of molestation based soley on the fact that the so called victim said he suddenly remembered being abused by this Priest when he attended parochial school at the Priest's parish. Every witness contradicted the accuser. There was no evidence. A professional said the hidden memories were due to an emotional disorder.

So, the jury decides to convict the priest on the sole basis of a faulty memory.

Please, even a pervert like Michael Jackson has a better chance in court than a Catholic Priest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If a few priests hadn't been molesting children in the first place, we wouldn't have the sensationalism at all. A few perverts ruined it for the rest of them. The bishops messed up because the old anti-Catholic nativism resurfaces quite regularly in the USA.

Reactions: Pogue
Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If a few priests hadn't been molesting children in the first place, we wouldn't have the sensationalism at all. A few perverts ruined it for the rest of them. The bishops messed up because the old anti-Catholic nativism resurfaces quite regularly in the USA.
Unless one fully comes to appreciate the concept and rabidism of paternalism within the institution of Catholicism, you cannot fully understand the motives behind some of the Churchs or Bishops administrative actions and hbehaviors.

These are the sheppards. As controversial as some decisions and actions were, i give credit where credit is due. Love, not deceit was behind most of the problems. Love was the root of unethical actions.

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Unless one fully comes to appreciate the concept and rabidism of paternalism within the institution of Catholicism, you cannot fully understand the motives behind some of the Churchs or Bishops administrative actions and hbehaviors.

We can't make excuses for them. This was a grave matter.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We can't make excuses for them. This was a grave matter.
I am not making excuses, I am also not belittling the seriousness of the matter.

If you know the history of my posts on this topic you woyuld have seen me slamming the Church on every level of this matter, including dressing down the Pope for issuing a document stating that Bishops could be excommunicated for notifying the police about accusations against Priests.

The fact of the matter is though, you cannot judge the motives behind the administrative actions of the Church unless you look at the paternal indoctrination of the clergy. Anything short of that is shallow and shortsighted.

Upvote 0
BAFriend:

I am not sure how many crimes you have investigated with children as a victims or how many of those investigations involved clergy, especially Catholic clergy, but I have. From my standpoint having been in the middle of some of it, we earned it.

If I have misunderstood you or your point, I apologize. If you would like to hear the whole story from my perspective sometime, let me know.

Don

Reactions: Pogue
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bowedb4Him

May 6, 2007
Long Beach
Visit site
✟7,911.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
what about that one movie...
what dreams may come...
PG03_2k.0612.JPG

and he also did patch adams...
and the movie before that, which was almost like patch adams but had robert de niro in it playing a patient with catatonic disorder
"Awakenings"
awakenings.jpg

all of these movies made me cry...they were very touching because robin williams....well isn't a good actor...but the movie was good....

I am not going to punish these movies or myself by not watching them because of robin williams.....

so because he mocked the church....we must be doing something right....our faith maybe scares him or something...or he just didn't see the big deal...well our faith is a big deal..we do not mock it...neither should he...but those movies affected me....idk...that's all i wanted to say

for sure :liturgy:

Upvote 0

in2Nas

...using the brain God gave me.
Jul 7, 2005
New Mexico
✟16,039.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mork and Mindy was good when I was 10, but Robin Williams has never starred in any lasting or meaningful roles. I cannot think of a single movie of his I would watch twice.

What? You didn't find his peformances in Jack, Flubber, RV, The Birdcage, Jumanji, Patch Adams, Bicentennial Man and One Hour Photo rivieting?

Ok..Good Will Hunting was good.

Anyways, I really don't get spun up on someone that really has no significance in my life and says something stupid.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow, a shocker. A comedian is ridiculing the Church. You realize we are going to have to boycott ALL comedians now. All comedians make their money off highlighting various elements of immorality. I don't get my lessons in morality from comedians, and I don't go to church because its a hoot.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.