Here’s my take on the theological backstory behind the confusion of these times...

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome new readers….I’m glad you’re here, but honestly, this is a far more interesting post…

A few days ago, Larry Chapp published a barn burner of a post in which he articulated what few are willing to say out loud.

Essentially: Quite a bit of our esteemed Catholic Church leadership doesn’t believe anything much, and the forthcoming synod and the preparation for it is revealing of not only this reality but of the apparent intention to use the synod moment as a means of somehow transforming their non-belief into Church “teaching.”

You will not be shocked to learn that I do not disagree with Chapp’s take at all. But I do think what he says could be fleshed out more – perhaps he’s done it in his other writings, I’m not sure. So because it’s nagging at me, I’m going to take a couple of posts here to address it. Not because I think he’s wrong, but simply because I think expanding the narrative will help.

So today, I’m going to give my perspective on Chapp’s take on the theological backstory of the generation that’s propelling this. Next time, the synod itself, about which I’ve written before.

Chapp:

Continued
below.
Expression, formulated