Nov 26, 2021
✟20,507.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, to whoever reading this, i struggle, A LOT, it is affecting my mental and physical health, so if you have any advice i would really need it.
This year i noticed i struggle with scrupulousity. I obsess over so many things and question is it a sin. I can't seem to realize difference between feelings and conscience so i worry have i commited sin against my conscience.
I started to worry am i eating too much and commiting gluttony and it lead me to lose bunch of weight (now i'm underweight), that lead me to not having period for months.
I worry am i commiting a sin if i sleep longer, study, when i am on my phone, showering, wearing certain clothes and so many more things.
It became so DRAINING, i don't know how long can i tolerate it. When i dont obey that small voice it feels like im commiting a sin.
I really really need help. :/
Im seeing therapist, she is not christian therapist just a regular one, i havent told her about this problem and i dont know should i tell her bc my thoughts are not allowing me.
Somebody, please give me advice. :( thanks

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I definitely recommend that you talk to your therapist about this. What you've described matches the symptoms of a couple of possible mental health diagnoses that I could guess at, but that's what your therapist is for, to correctly diagnose what you're going through and offer help.

I don't think it matters that your therapist isn't Christian. She should still be able to help guide you through the process of following your genuine moral convictions without slipping into unhealthy anxieties.

Upvote 0

jelena.j4

Nov 26, 2021
✟20,507.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I definitely recommend that you talk to your therapist about this. What you've described matches the symptoms of a couple of possible mental health diagnoses that I could guess at, but that's what your therapist is for, to correctly diagnose what you're going through and offer help.

I don't think it matters that your therapist isn't Christian. She should still be able to help guide you through the process of following your genuine moral convictions without slipping into unhealthy anxieties.
Thank you, im just worried what if God doesnt want me to tell her that bc it might push her away from becoming a christian, my thoughts are convincing me that i'm sinning if i tell her. :/

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it will push her away from being a Christian. If she's a professional therapist, then she's seen symptoms like yours before, and she should be wise enough to know that your symptoms are coming from your mental health issues rather than from the Christian faith itself. Anxiety, obsession, and eating disorders are all pretty common, and they show up in people with many different faith backgrounds. Trust your therapist. She should be able to help you.

Reactions: jelena.j4
Upvote 0

SchmedlytheGreat

Oct 10, 2021
Dalzell
✟1,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Relax in Him.
Depend on HIS faithfulness not your own. Any faith we may exercise essentially is an offshoot of His. He wants you to be comfortable around Him. You will never achieve the perfection that wins that comfortableness. You can only receive it by the knowledge that He has forgiven you and when He sees you, He sees Jesus. So, in the words of Paul:

2 Corinthians 5:17-21 KJV
17. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19. To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
20. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
21. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

The most perfect man who has ever lived still falls way short of perfection. Accept His gift of acceptance in Jesus!
I like this:

• Agree
Reactions: jameshjr
Upvote 0

jelena.j4

Nov 26, 2021
✟20,507.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it will push her away from being a Christian. If she's a professional therapist, then she's seen symptoms like yours before, and she should be wise enough to know that your symptoms are coming from your mental health issues rather than from the Christian faith itself. Anxiety, obsession, and eating disorders are all pretty common, and they show up in people with many different faith backgrounds. Trust your therapist. She should be able to help you.
Thank you :)

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, to whoever reading this, i struggle, A LOT, it is affecting my mental and physical health, so if you have any advice i would really need it.
This year i noticed i struggle with scrupulousity. I obsess over so many things and question is it a sin. I can't seem to realize difference between feelings and conscience so i worry have i commited sin against my conscience.
I started to worry am i eating too much and commiting gluttony and it lead me to lose bunch of weight (now i'm underweight), that lead me to not having period for months.
I worry am i commiting a sin if i sleep longer, study, when i am on my phone, showering, wearing certain clothes and so many more things.
It became so DRAINING, i don't know how long can i tolerate it. When i dont obey that small voice it feels like im commiting a sin.
Im seeing therapist, she is not christian therapist just a regular one, i havent told her about this problem and i dont know should i tell her bc my thoughts are not allowing me.

My advice would be don't focus on what is/or is not a sin. Focus on seeking God daily through prayer and bible reading. There is a key in the bible to overcome, and it is to remain connected to Jesus.

He said:

Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

The Spirit that Jesus talks of, that willingness, is the Holy Spirit. As we spend time in prayer the Holy Spirit within us strengthens us. The fruit of the Spirit, what He gives, are listed in the bible:

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

At the moment you are lacking peace, etc. Consistent daily prayer, even when you don't feel like it, will strengthen you internally, and God will show you Himself. You will find He is not as demanding as you think.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sing songs of deliverance.

Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Hello Jelena, i am sorry that you are having difficulties at the moment. People may not like what i will say, but it's the from the truth and i think that's the only thing that ever helps anyone.

"Trust the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own undertstanding" proverbs 3:5

This world, because it does not know Jesus, has created a lot of things to try and explain the stress and pain people experience. one of the main ones today is around mental health.

I believe this is a creation of man and is therefore not true. i would encourage you to ignore the idea of 'mental health' and instead put your attention on God.

I would also say that we are all fallen and that we all sin and therefore feel guilt and shame: is it possible that there are things going on in your life, which could be causing this to the extent that you are suffering so much?

Remember that nothing you do can separate you from the love of God and that He is just and right to forgive the sin of His chosen people whom repent.

Honestly, i would find either a christian Councillor or speak to your vicar/ pastor (do you go to church) as only someone with a biblical viewpoint can offer you any cohesive answers/solutions to your problems.

Again, think about it, throughout all human history mental health has never been an issue. i think it is just the latest trendy explanation for the guilt of sin problem that ONLY Jesus can explain and deal with adequately. give it a decade or two and the notion of mental health will be done away with for the next trend. However, Gods word will last forever.

Again, trust in God. Draw near to Him, if you want peace. He is after all the Prince of peace, and there is no peace without Him.

I hope this helps, please do not hesitate to respond if you have any questions or would like more of an explanation.

God bless you, and i will keep you in my prayers.

Upvote 0

Brenda Blakely

Apr 26, 2019
Portland
✟29,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Jennaj4,

God knew that the humans He had created would struggle with sin. He saw us struggle to live the life of obedience and He loved us so much He sent His Son to take care of our problem and release us from our struggles. His Son, Jesus, paid the debt owed for our sin, by His death on the cross. By accepting the work of Jesus on the cross and repenting from our sins, we can walk in the disciplines of spiritual freedom. We are set free to come to salvation, spend time in worship of God, study God’s Word with the help of the Holy Spirit to guide us, pray and talk to our Father God, take communion and fast. If you don’t understand some or any of these here is a number-855 382 5433-you can call for help. These are the essentials of the Christian life to allow us to live victoriously; a living demonstration and testimony to the work of God in your life.

My understanding of sin is to disobey God’s commandments. Do you believe that we can leave our sin debt in the hands of Jesus because of His work on the cross and that with His help we can repent of our sin? Do you know that God’s desire is for us to focus on loving Him? Do you believe that when we love Him we will desire to please Him and when we exercise the six disciplines, God has given us and are able to let God’s power work in and through us, we become overcomers of the power of sin? Do you believe that we are enabled to obey God’s commandment to “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and love your neighbors as yourself” because of God’s power working in us? Are these the answer that you are seeking?

If so, pray this prayer. “Father God, I know that I am a sinner. I know that Your grace is sufficient to cover my sin debt, so I repent and accept the work of your Son to save me from my sin. I want to know without a doubt that I am born again into Your kingdom and am Your child receiving my inheritance from You. I ask you to give me the power to live a life that is pleasing to You. I want to rest in You. I want to love you with all my heart, soul and mind. I want You to renew my mind and keep it stayed upon you and your love. I want to study your word in the Bible and understand it by the power of the Holy Spirit that You have sent to me, according to Your word. Thank You Father God.” If you are able to pray this prayer and believe that God will supply what you need to live a victorious life, please let me know so that I can celebrate with you.

I think it is wonderful that you are concerned about not negatively influencing your therapist and causing them to stumble but is this really the purpose of your therapy? Can you really get the help that you need if you are not being honest about your struggles? Have you thought that you may be better off with a Christian therapist that you could trust to guide you correctly and help you to rest in the love of your Father God?

If you feel that having a Christian therapist would help then you may use the same number-855 382 5433- to ask for help in finding one in your area.

God bless you, precious child of God’s. I pray that you will be able to know that “When we are weak, God is strong. (Philiippians 4:13)” and He will give you the power to overcome your struggles and live victoriously. I am excited for what God is going to do in your life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jelena.j4

Nov 26, 2021
✟20,507.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear Jennaj4,

God knew that the humans He had created would struggle with sin. He saw us struggle to live the life of obedience and He loved us so much He sent His Son to take care of our problem and release us from our struggles. His Son, Jesus, paid the debt owed for our sin, by His death on the cross. By accepting the work of Jesus on the cross and repenting from our sins, we can walk in the disciplines of spiritual freedom. We are set free to come to salvation, spend time in worship of God, study God’s Word with the help of the Holy Spirit to guide us, pray and talk to our Father God, take communion and fast. If you don’t understand some or any of these here is a number-855 382 5433-you can call for help. These are the essentials of the Christian life to allow us to live victoriously; a living demonstration and testimony to the work of God in your life.

My understanding of sin is to disobey God’s commandments. Do you believe that we can leave our sin debt in the hands of Jesus because of His work on the cross and that with His help we can repent of our sin? Do you know that God’s desire is for us to focus on loving Him? Do you believe that when we love Him we will desire to please Him and when we exercise the six disciplines, God has given us and are able to let God’s power work in and through us, we become overcomers of the power of sin? Do you believe that we are enabled to obey God’s commandment to “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and love your neighbors as yourself” because of God’s power working in us? Are these the answer that you are seeking?

If so, pray this prayer. “Father God, I know that I am a sinner. I know that Your grace is sufficient to cover my sin debt, so I repent and accept the work of your Son to save me from my sin. I want to know without a doubt that I am born again into Your kingdom and am Your child receiving my inheritance from You. I ask you to give me the power to live a life that is pleasing to You. I want to rest in You. I want to love you with all my heart, soul and mind. I want You to renew my mind and keep it stayed upon you and your love. I want to study your word in the Bible and understand it by the power of the Holy Spirit that You have sent to me, according to Your word. Thank You Father God.” If you are able to pray this prayer and believe that God will supply what you need to live a victorious life, please let me know so that I can celebrate with you.

I think it is wonderful that you are concerned about not negatively influencing your therapist and causing them to stumble but is this really the purpose of your therapy? Can you really get the help that you need if you are not being honest about your struggles? Have you thought that you may be better off with a Christian therapist that you could trust to guide you correctly and help you to rest in the love of your Father God?

If you feel that having a Christian therapist would help then you may use the same number-855 382 5433- to ask for help in finding one in your area.

God bless you, precious child of God’s. I pray that you will be able to know that “When we are weak, God is strong. (Philiippians 4:13)” and He will give you the power to overcome your struggles and live victoriously. I am excited for what God is going to do in your life.
I prayed that prayer. Thank you for advices :)
I live in Serbia - in my area i have access to regular non christian psychologist and psychiatrist. In America for example Christian therapists are more popular then here in Europe.
Should i continue to go to regular psychologist? Is God against me going there?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

What's at the bottom of scrupulosity? You. You are at the bottom of your scrupulosity. Being hyper-scrupulous is an attempt, born of fear, to protect yourself from a perceived threat. Scrupulosity attempts to exert control over an area, or areas, where you think you have dangerously little control. But this kind of fear-based thinking and behavior doesn't please God because it is so self-centered. When your eyes are fixed on Him, when you know Him as your infinitely-loving Heavenly Father, fear just dissolves. God is good, patient, merciful, gracious and holy. He can be trusted. He's not out to get you. Why, then, fear?

I'm not sure what you mean by "sin against your conscience." All sin is ultimately sin against God which is what makes it sin.

See? Fear never leads us anywhere good. When we follow our own thinking, and especially our fears, we are led often into extremes. God gives to us balance, stability, and wisdom. And peace. Give God control of you; submit yourself to Him. As you do, over time, God will lead you into a life of rest and meaning, free of constant worry and the stressful scrupulosity under which you are presently laboring.

Matthew 11:28-30
28 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

And if you commit a sin, then what? What is it you fear in committing a sin? That God will get you? That He will hurt you?

Jelena, God tells us not to sin for our sakes, not for His. God warns us not to do wicked things because we are harmed in some way when we do. If no one ever obeyed God again, He would still be perfect, not lessened in the slightest. So, God doesn't need us to obey Him; it is entirely for our sake that God says, "Do this," and "Don't do that." When we obey God, we are protected from the harm that sin produces and are living in a way that allows us to fully enjoy God. If anything, God feels sadness when we sin because He knows we will suffer in some way as a consequence of our sin. And because God is so incredibly loving, He has done amazing things to make a way for us to escape sin and walk with Him in joy and peace. He loves you, Jelena, and desires the best for you. God is not out to beat you down if you step wrong.

1 John 4:9-10
9 By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.
10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Romans 5:6-8
6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—
8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Colossians 1:21-22
21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds,
22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him,

God has moved toward us in love when we were still awful, sinful people. He didn't wait for us to be clean, holy, God-loving people, but sent His Son to die for us when we were His enemies, living deep in rebellion toward Him. This is the kind of love God has for us. It chases us down when we run away; it seeks us out when we stray deep into darkness; it pursues us when we have wandered off into sin. The Good Shepherd goes out looking for his lost sheep, carrying it back to his sheepfold when he finds it; he doesn't curse his lost sheep for getting lost, refusing to look for it. In fact, the Bible says the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, has given his life for you, paying for the penalty of your sin with his blood and life on a cross 2000 years ago. This is how much he loves you.

Why, then, are you fearful, worrying at every turn about doing everything just right? God cannot accept you on the basis of your righteousness. He requires perfect righteousness which you can never reach by yourself. No matter how scrupulous you are, you will never be righteous enough for God. But you can find the righteousness that God requires in Jesus. In him, by trusting in him as your Saviour and Lord, you are "clothed" in Jesus, in his perfect righteousness, and so made acceptable to God. And because Jesus's righteousness is always, forever perfect, those in his righteousness by faith, are always accepted by God. Why then should you be afraid?

Romans 13:11-14
14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ...

Philippians 3:8-9
8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ
9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith

Romans 10:9-13
9 ...if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.”
12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.
13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Revelation 3:20
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Titus 3:3-7
3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.
4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared,
5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: jelena.j4
Upvote 0

jelena.j4

Nov 26, 2021
✟20,507.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's at the bottom of scrupulosity? You. You are at the bottom of your scrupulosity. Being hyper-scrupulous is an attempt, born of fear, to protect yourself from a perceived threat. Scrupulosity attempts to exert control over an area, or areas, where you think you have dangerously little control. But this kind of fear-based thinking and behavior doesn't please God because it is so self-centered. When your eyes are fixed on Him, when you know Him as your infinitely-loving Heavenly Father, fear just dissolves. God is good, patient, merciful, gracious and holy. He can be trusted. He's not out to get you. Why, then, fear?

I'm not sure what you mean by "sin against your conscience." All sin is ultimately sin against God which is what makes it sin.

See? Fear never leads us anywhere good. When we follow our own thinking, and especially our fears, we are led often into extremes. God gives to us balance, stability, and wisdom. And peace. Give God control of you; submit yourself to Him. As you do, over time, God will lead you into a life of rest and meaning, free of constant worry and the stressful scrupulosity under which you are presently laboring.

Matthew 11:28-30
28 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

And if you commit a sin, then what? What is it you fear in committing a sin? That God will get you? That He will hurt you?

Jelena, God tells us not to sin for our sakes, not for His. God warns us not to do wicked things because we are harmed in some way when we do. If no one ever obeyed God again, He would still be perfect, not lessened in the slightest. So, God doesn't need us to obey Him; it is entirely for our sake that God says, "Do this," and "Don't do that." When we obey God, we are protected from the harm that sin produces and are living in a way that allows us to fully enjoy God. If anything, God feels sadness when we sin because He knows we will suffer in some way as a consequence of our sin. And because God is so incredibly loving, He has done amazing things to make a way for us to escape sin and walk with Him in joy and peace. He loves you, Jelena, and desires the best for you. God is not out to beat you down if you step wrong.

1 John 4:9-10
9 By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him.
10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Romans 5:6-8
6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—
8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Colossians 1:21-22
21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds,
22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him,

God has moved toward us in love when we were still awful, sinful people. He didn't wait for us to be clean, holy, God-loving people, but sent His Son to die for us when we were His enemies, living deep in rebellion toward Him. This is the kind of love God has for us. It chases us down when we run away; it seeks us out when we stray deep into darkness; it pursues us when we have wandered off into sin. The Good Shepherd goes out looking for his lost sheep, carrying it back to his sheepfold when he finds it; he doesn't curse his lost sheep for getting lost, refusing to look for it. In fact, the Bible says the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, has given his life for you, paying for the penalty of your sin with his blood and life on a cross 2000 years ago. This is how much he loves you.

Why, then, are you fearful, worrying at every turn about doing everything just right? God cannot accept you on the basis of your righteousness. He requires perfect righteousness which you can never reach by yourself. No matter how scrupulous you are, you will never be righteous enough for God. But you can find the righteousness that God requires in Jesus. In him, by trusting in him as your Saviour and Lord, you are "clothed" in Jesus, in his perfect righteousness, and so made acceptable to God. And because Jesus's righteousness is always, forever perfect, those in his righteousness by faith, are always accepted by God. Why then should you be afraid?

Romans 13:11-14
14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ...

Philippians 3:8-9
8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ
9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith

Romans 10:9-13
9 ...if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.”
12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.
13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Revelation 3:20
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Titus 3:3-7
3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.
4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared,
5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Woah this is great advice!! This is so much helpful, thank God and thank you for this! :)

Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0